[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PERSONAL JETPACKS FINALLY HAPPENING
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
File: whitewashed-gta-san-andreas.jpg (58 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
whitewashed-gta-san-andreas.jpg
58 KB, 1200x800
>"It’s a jet and a backpack," says Mayman, alluding to the fact that many competitors are, well, neither. "It can take off vertically. With no fuel in it, I’ve jogged about a kilometer with it strapped to my back. Even full of fuel I’ve jogged a few hundred metres. There’s a large suitcase that our whole JB-9 will fit into. It’ll fit in the back of a car. The little handles fold up but that’s about it."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3AwBSwFV2I
>>
>>51273318
>The device can carry a total of 10 gallons of fuel, which it burns at around a gallon a minute. And the fuel itself is simple: kerosene. Cheap, safe and easily available from your local service station.
>>
>>51273336
Considering it can travel 5 kilometers for every gallon, that's insanely revolutionary.
>>
I want someone to do a crime and fly away with this.
Just imagine the look on the faces of the cops.
>>
>>51273468
You'd get hosed down by their gunfire before getting anywhere.
>>
>>51273523
pull heist, flyout through the skylights lol
>>
>>51273351
>burns at a gallon per minute
>5 kilometers per gallon
>300 km/h
>186 mph
>>
>>51273351
No way, citations needed
>>
>>51273607
Up to. I skimmed the article but those were the numbers I gathered. Experience pilots could reach that.

I'm excited because my daily commute is long enough as is.
>>
Is this a scamstarter?
>>
File: 1424201835276.png (33 KB, 566x557) Image search: [Google]
1424201835276.png
33 KB, 566x557
>>51273318
>10 minutes of flight time
Holy fucking fuck, that's better than those hydrogen peroxide jetpacks (~30 seconds of flight time).
>>
>5 km / gallon
>could be gallon / min
>10 minutes of operation
So, I gather it's 50 km maximum?
Being skeptical, let's put 20-25 km per fill.
This shit would be mad expensive for daily use. It's kind of retarded to mention this "downside", since I bet this jetpack will be expensive and it won't be used for daily commuting. No way.
Pretty neat nonetheless.
>>
File: RA2_ROCKETEER.png (2 KB, 60x49) Image search: [Google]
RA2_ROCKETEER.png
2 KB, 60x49
Training...
>>
>>51273318
I don't understand why this is happening now. We're using the same jet/turbofan technology that we used in the 60's. What's new this time? Why couldn't this have been built before?

Also, the 10 gallon limit is due to FAA laws that prohibit unlicensed aircraft from carrying over 10 gallons of fuel. You could probably just add a couple containers yourself.
>>
>>51273318

I didn't see him try to get very high with it, does he do so in other trials? For all the world it looked like an untethered version of the water jetpack that I've tried before. Which is fun as hell but you quickly learn not to try to get over ~25 to 30 feet or things get unstable really fast.
>>
>>51273979
It's because unlike helicopters and fixed wing aircraft, an engine failure here is always fatal.
>>
>>51273523
Throw a smoke grenade just before taking off.
>>
Didn't Ahmed Muhammad already invent one?
>>
>>51274004
That only gives them more incentive to shoot you down quicker.
>>
>>51273468
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w--VcX3n_7w
>>
>>51274041
What the hell happened? Why does the animation quality look like Family Guy's?
>>
>>51273336
At 5 seconds to refuel dropping down every 50 kilometers isn't all that bad.
>>
>>51274062
Welcome to flash.
Go watch cyberchase for some real fun
>>
>>51274174
Go watch cyberchase for some real fun. ;)
>>
>Maymayman
>>
>>51274620
You're a fucking maymayman.
>>
Needs a turbofan engine. I would suggest 1 larger turbofan with thrust vectoring rather than 2 engines as a single engine failure on this design would result in a crash.

It's actually not hard to build this with modern quad copter flight controllers, the problem is getting an engine. The best one is the turbofan used in the tomahawk missile but I don't think you can buy them.
>>
JETPACKS.I would buy a jetpack and sell my car.
>>
Can't wait for the first fly-by shootings.
>>
Wonder when people will start buying air....
>>
Okay, I'll bite:

How high can it go?
>>
How much will it cost?
>>
>>51273617
[From their website]
> 100 mph and with an endurance of 10 minutes +
-> 16 Miles / Refuel
>>
>>51273318
There's going to be so many high speed groundsplatter deaths
>>
>>51276469
For science.
>>
>>51274041
why does cheif wiggum sound like moe the bartender now?
>>
File: a1.jpg (435 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
a1.jpg
435 KB, 750x1000
>>51275864
>Can't wait for the first fly-by shootings.
Stay classy, 4chan.
>>
>>51275864
Wonder how the jetpack will react to recoil.
>>
>>51276500

Some of you are alright. Don't go to Sky High tomorrow.
>>
>>51276406
>Okay, I'll bite:
>How high can it go?
A few thousand feet. Limited by poor fuel economy of the turbojet. Turbojets only work well at high altitude and high speed.
>>
>>51273523
Shoot the guy with a kerosene back pack they said.
Shoot the guy with propane on his back.
That shit isnt explosive.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.