[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Google Is Not What It Seems
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 6
File: eshills.png (483 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
eshills.png
483 KB, 1280x720
https://wikileaks.org/google-is-not-what-it-seems/
>>
We love google.
>>
>>51270657
I always knew Google were the good guys, now all you m$ and crapple shills can fuck off /g/ forever.
>>
>>51270873
>We
>>
>google is not what it seems
/g/ doesn't see google with this false image of omnibenevolence that wikileaks is trying to shatter.

this is like going to an atheist convention and saying "NEWS FLASH: THERE'S NO EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE OF A HIGHER POWER SUCH AS GOD"
>>
>>51270657
TL;DR
>>
>>51270657
So it's not a botnet?
>>
File: tpep9_230[1].jpg (53 KB, 739x553) Image search: [Google]
tpep9_230[1].jpg
53 KB, 739x553
The owls are not what they seem
>>
>by Julian Assange
From anyone other than Julian I would have though nothing of this than paid shilling.
Well, spare Snowden.
Him saying "Actually, Google ain't all that bad after all" would blow so many minds ambulances would need to be equipped with wet and dry vacuum's.
Still, this is honestly rather motivating to read.
>>
>>51270657
Jesus fuck that shitty website is so fucking painful to read.
>>
tl;dr?
>>
>>51270657
Fuck that websites design.
>>
>>51271074
Google is not actually a botnet
They actually lobby to fight for consumer privacy, instead of making a fuss and using it as a marketing feature like Apple are.
>>
Always knew google was my friend.

Fuck /G/
>>
>julian assagne

people actually trust him?
>>
File: 1447114904055.jpg (223 KB, 739x553) Image search: [Google]
1447114904055.jpg
223 KB, 739x553
What they seem are not the owls
>>
>>51271134
wuts /G/?
>>
>>51270657
You'd think hax0rs had webdev skills.
nope
>>
>>51270657
TLDR pl0z
>>
HAHA YOU IDIOTS, I KNEW IT!

GOOGLE IS ON OUR SIDE YOU MORONS!
>>
>>51271134
I agree, but "/G/"?
By god the shills.
We're having a legit discussion about how good you guys are and you send in the shills anyway.
>>
>>51270657
Is this what they were talking abou when they said the NSA was running an online program to confuse people and tell lies?
>>
File: 1437986610258.jpg (357 KB, 680x1430) Image search: [Google]
1437986610258.jpg
357 KB, 680x1430
>meanwhile at apple
>>
>prism
>clinton
>jonathan soros, son of george soros
>In Autumn 2013 the Obama administration was trying to drum up support for US airstrikes against Syria. Despite setbacks, the administration continued to press for military action well into September with speeches and public announcements by both President Obama and Secretary of State John Kerry.63 On September 10, Google lent its front page—the most popular on the internet—to the war effort, inserting a line below the search box reading “Live! Secretary Kerry answers questions on Syria. Today via Hangout at 2pm ET.
ffs
>>
WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

GOOGLE DOES NO EVIL
>>
Did you kucks even read Assange's article?

It was clear as day that Google is the tech arm of the American Empire.

It's CEO is part of the D.C. establishment and does back-channel operations for them.
>>
>>51270931
this desu.

don't need no editorialization from this fag, just leaks
>>
>>51271698
IKR. What the hell is everyone else reading.
>>
>>51271741
they're just more paid shills
>>
>>51271741
I suspect they read the first few lines and stop reading the entire document, or are paid shills.
>>
>>51271269
Companies realized they can capitalize on "muh privacy" and act as if they care.
>>
>slogan is Don't be Evil
>thinks they are evil

simply ebin
>>
Can someone simply explain to me whether google is good or bad?

this discussion is confusing and the article doesn't halp.
>>
Google is my friend. Google fiber in kansas city.
>>
File: skeletor.png (195 KB, 363x363) Image search: [Google]
skeletor.png
195 KB, 363x363
>>51271698
>>51271741
Nobody is reading more than the URL and /g/ assumes Google is evil.

Therefore Google is not what it seems means that Google is not evil.
>>
>>51271845
if you need things to be put into black and white terms, you need to reevaluate yourself
>>
>>51271874
To be fair, the website is unreadable.
>>
>>51271845
tl;dr Google's CEO Eric Schmidt works directly for the American Empire, therefore Google botnet is real.
>>
>>51271890
Maybe I need an article shorter than twenty fucking pages
>>
>>51271021
All this sums to me not just feeling bad so about using tons of g apps
>>
>>51271924
>important history can be written in less than twenty pages
>>
I thought /g/ was one of the smarter boards.
Basically what this article is saying is there was a blurred line between Google's relationship with the State Department (read: international relations) and the Arab Spring uprisings. But by "blurred" I mean "blurred until leaked Stratfor documents show a DIRECT correlation between Google employees and foreign regime change".
I'm only halfway through the article but this is what I gather so far. I did work for the State Department briefly so I have a better grasp on the beaurocracy of it all.
>>
>>51272009
To be fair, it's not really important.
>>
What the article basically says is, Google is much worse than we thought, but in different ways than we expected.
>>
>>51270909
>/g/ - smartphones
This place is full of Google cock suckers.
>>
Botnet is real and Google is actively assisting in overthrowing foreign governments
>>
>>51272036
Filtered
>>
>>51272034
>I thought /g/ was one of the smarter boards.
>I did work for the State Department
proof the state department is clueless
>>
>>51272009
scientific papers usually add an abstract at the beginning for a reason, people need to know if the thing is worth the while reading.

That's exactly what those tldr are asking for.
>>
>>51272100
Clueless about what?
This article exposes Google's involvement in FUCKING REGIME CHANGE.
Sounds like WE'RE the clueless ones.
But everyone just cry "botnet!" instead of READ THE ARTICLE which shows truly how far down the rabbit hole corporate intervention/collusion with government is.
>>
File: 1446874114855.jpg (32 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
1446874114855.jpg
32 KB, 720x480
>>51272034
>I thought /g/ was one of the smarter boards.
>>
>>51272110
it's an except from a book, which itself is about the length of an abstract

this is why the internet is utter shit now, people just want a juicy headline and a mass of text that comes with it to throw around in place of actual arguments
>>
>>51272034
/g/ are a bunch of consumerist whores who just spout memes.

The moment you tell them to read an article that exposes Google for what they are they get defensive.
>>
>>51270936
It's worse
>>
>>51270931
sandnigger politics
>>
The do no evil empire has one weakness and it's adblockers.

Equip everyone you know with them.
>>
>>51272122
shill
>>
>>51272095
To be fair, it's not really important.
>>
>>51272148
>which itself is about the length of an abstract

wrong but thanks for playing. An abstract is between 100 and 200 words. This " except" is over 10,000 words.
>>
>Google Ideas is bigger, but it follows the same game plan. Glance down the speaker lists of its annual invite-only get-togethers, such as “Crisis in a Connected World” in October 2013. Social network theorists and activists give the event a veneer of authenticity, but in truth it boasts a toxic piñata of attendees: US officials, telecommagnates, security consultants, finance capitalists, and foreign-policy tech vultures like Alec Ross (Cohen’s twin at the State Department).33At the hard core are the arms contractors and career military: active US Cyber Command chieftains, and even the admiral responsible for all US military operations in Latin America from 2006 to 2009. Tying up the package are Jared Cohen and the chairman of Google, Eric Schmidt.34

>I began to think of Schmidt as a brilliant but politically hapless Californian tech billionaire who had been exploited by the very US foreign-policy types he had collected to act as translators between himself and official Washington—a West Coast–East Coast illustration of the principal-agent dilemma.35

>I was wrong.
>>
>>51271134
Yeah fuck Google!
>>
>>51272285

This confuses my autism, Is Eric unknowingly helping the government then?
>>
>Nobody wants to acknowledge that Google has grown big and bad. But it has. Schmidt’s tenure as CEO saw Google integrate with the shadiest of US power structures as it expanded into a geographically invasive megacorporation. But Google has always been comfortable with this proximity. Long before company founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin hired Schmidt in 2001, their initial research upon which Google was based had been partly funded by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA).48 And even as Schmidt’s Google developed an image as the overly friendly giant of global tech, it was building a close relationship with the intelligence community.
>>
>>51272370
No, he's KNOWINGLY helping the government. Assange is saying that he assumed Schmidt was oblivious to his role but that he was wrong in assuming that.
>>
ITT: everyone was too busy jerking off about battlestations to read the article
>>
>>51271845
Bad. VERY bad.

To sum up Assange's point, Google is acting as their own state, with their own foreign policy and intelligence sector, but without having to follow any international rules that governments do.
He then goes on to show that the United States Department of State is both very well aware of this and is actively using Google to do things that they can't do legally.
>>
>>51272417
Oh right. So Schmidt is trying to come across as a bumbling middle aged man but in reality he's a deceptive jew?
>>
>>51272466
Yep, pretty much.

Also Jared Cohen is apparently some sort of evil genius puppetmaster who's actively playing the world's conflict into his own hands in an attempt to make money or political influence or something. Probably have to read the actual book to get the whole story but that's pretty much what Assange points out here.
>>
So hey at least Google ensures my dank meme searches are encrypted
>>
>>51272285
thing is, by that logic, even the most well known infosec conferences are part of the same circus - oh, wait...
>>
>>51272457
>companies acting like a state
oh, so it's plain old capitalism.

>Notorious examples:
>East India Trading Company
>United Fruit Company
>Goldcorp
>>
>>51272563
The biggest takeaway that Assange is trying to say here isn't that Google is powerful, which they are, or that they're malevolent, which they are.
The biggest point he makes is that they've managed to, and are still in the process of, convince the entire general public that they're a benevolent entity even though they're not. They've managed to capture the praise and good opinion of the entire world, even though they don't remotely deserve it.

The EITC, for example, was hated by everyone who wasn't a aristocrat making bank from it.
>>
>>51272122
This. Google has actively helped overthrow governments and is a puppet of the United States government

The Tl;dr of the article is that Google is to the 21st century as Lockheed Martin was to the 20th century.
>>
>>51272255
Shilling what exactly?
>>
>>51272708
The Stallmany, of course.
>>
Just read the whole thing. It was a very enjoyable read, if somewhat disturbing.

Tl;dr for everyone, Google has its hands in the US government pockets and it gaining political power to be the information and guidance branch for policy makers and military strategists.
More than just an information giant, they're going for the global empire game.... and winning.
>>
>>51272457
This is the most important part of the article by far.
>>
>>51272563
>old capitalism
oh, look, another anarcho-capitalist-libertarian who seems to think putting new rich people in charge will, magically, change things
>>
I don't give a shit about anything Google does unless they start making desktop apps instead of shitty web apps
>>
>>51270657
Wikileaks is a site for LEAKS, not this opinion piece blog shit.
>>
>>51272726
>>51272726
And I'm not at all suprised.

Theres a reason google is trying so hard to get android phones to all these poor people all over the world, and that reason isn't for those poor peoples benefit. Google is not trying to help people. They are using programs like Android One (low budget smartphones etc) to gain traction to cause political revolutions.
>>
>>51272799
who the fuck deemed you the arbiter of what wikileaks is and is not for?
>>
>>51271515
Apple did not support CISA and the Business Software Alliance which Apple is a member of rescinded their support.
>>
>>51272873
>pulling support at the absolute last second after receiving bad press

Keep eating shit from your hands you gullible fucking moron.
>>
>>51272563
So Google is the modern day EITC?
>>
>>51272873
>gets caught spouting bullshit
>n-no we never supported cisa! w-we always cared about your privacy honest!
>>
As an American why should I care about this?

Why should I care if Google is exploiting third world nations? As long as it takes it's profits back home it's all good if you ask me.
>>
>>51272749
>seems to think putting new rich people in charge will, magically, change things

s.m.h. did you even read what I post?

these companies taking the place of governments with the help of other governments is proof that "free-market" needs the government to exist and expand

old capitalism = new capitalism
as >>51272592 stated the main difference is the way they justify themselves and the kind of organizations they use.

For example, everything is "independent" now
whatever that means
>>
>>51272100
>>51272122
its like poetry
also checked
>>
>>51270657
k
>>
>>51273006
>old capitalism
sorry, I assumed that you were yet another "libertarian" using the retarded slogan, "crony capitalism"
>>
>In 2010, after the Chinese government was accused of hacking Google, the company entered into a “formal information-sharing” relationship with the NSA, which was said to allow NSA analysts to “evaluate vulnerabilities” in Google’s hardware and software. Although the exact contours of the deal have never been disclosed, the NSA brought in other government agencies to help, including the FBI and the Department of Homeland Security.
>>
>>51272938
>As long as it takes it's profits back home it's all good if you ask me.
Well, they will take it home, yes, but that doesn't mean that you will see anything from it.
>>
>>51273266
>dat creepy Schmidt drone
https://wikileaks.org/google-is-not-what-it-seems/video.mp4
>>
>>51271171
Why not?
What has he done to not be trusted?
>>
Google is on the level of blackwater and even surpassed it at this point.
>>
>>51273006
what's s.m.h. mean?
>>
>>51273371
"shake my head"
>>
>>51273371
it means you're a baka
>>
>>51273371
not much t.b.h. f.a.m.
>>
>>51271845
>spoonfeed me and make it simple. I can't read and think for myself
>>
>>51272445
that's like this board's very nature
>>
>>51273371

A redditor's last attempts to try and fit in while avoiding the filter
>>
>>51270657
I always knew the whole "don't be evil" thing was a ruse, and I've known for a while now that Eric Schmidt is a sneaky, dirty motherfucker, but jesus fucking christ that's ridiculous. Also, I feel like I'm going to have someone knocking on my door just for reading this.
>>
>>51271106
>>51271094
>>51271058
>>51271021
>>51270936
>>51270899
>>51270873
>>51271134
>>51271171
>>51271245
>>51271336
>>51271869
ITT: Shills shilling trolls trolling shills
>>
>>51273769
>tfw when filling out a google captcha to make this post in my google chrome browser on internet tethered through my google android phone :^)
>>
>>51273872
>TDS fiber
>linux
>firefox
>NoScript captcha
>Requestpolicy, Refcontrol, Adblock Edge, NoScript set to full autism mode
Unless Hiro-san is pulling some kikery I think I'll be okay.
Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.