[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why no VPN thread?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: fun nazis fuck it up.png (389 KB, 688x379) Image search: [Google]
fun nazis fuck it up.png
389 KB, 688x379
The state of the VPN market. Who's good, who's bad. Who still works behind the great firewall and who will be the choice of the citizens of Airstrip One?
>>
Is a VPN enough to prevent my isp from bugging me about torrenting? Should I try to pay for the VPN anonymously?

I was thinking about getting a seedbox and private trackers but it seemed like too much effort.
>>
>>51270267
desu just use the encryption. Any first world torrenting software should have it

Not many have it forced. They just have it to be preferred.
>>
>>51270299
any idea what VPNs still work in China? Supposedly the new machine learning approach taken since sept has rendered quite a few useless.
>>
>>51270267
a VPN will provide anonymity, many let you pay by methods other than a CC.

Encrypting will stop your ISP seeing what you're doing. You can confirm what your sharing here: http://checkmytorrentip.com/
>>
>>51269674
Any /g/'s have experience with Golden Frog and there VyprVPN?
>>
>>51270463
I think it is more so a company tracking me down based on the specific public torrents I am downloading and then having my isp tell me to stop. Will encryption help in this situation?
>>
>>51270463
VPN doesn't provide any guarentee of your privacy pro tip setup ur own on a vps, and harden that bitch
>>
>>51270299
how to use encryption with qbittorrent?
>>
is privateinternetaccess a good VPN?
>>
>>51271070
any recommendations for a good place to start with vps?

Other than not having a company waiting to spill the beans, what's the advantage over VPN?
>>
>>51271242
Control what happends, setup tour own security and use a country / isp where it's legal to torrent or w/e ask the isps.
If you don't want to put effort in it then just buy a VPN
>>
>>51271121
>privateinternetaccess
It seems quite reasonably priced, but doesn't give you an option to select servers (so I'm guessing it may be slower than others which have that function.

Also, if you wanted to browse region specific sites (e.g Netflix) it would be a spin of the wheel each time.
>>
>>51271332
Pretty dure you van select servers
>>
>>51271282
I am quite lazy, that is true. Also I like the option to switch countries that some VPN's offer.
>>
>>51271381
I'm basing the lack of server selection on this review (I've not used the service myself) http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2414799,00.asp
>>
File: Capture.png (161 KB, 208x746) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
161 KB, 208x746
>>51271332
you kind of can pic related

i have it and been using it for years - i was just wondering how it stacks up to others/if it's /g/ approved
>>
>>51270828
I have a subscription. It works well and I have no complaints. No idea how trustworthy it actually is though.
>>
>>51271499
Guess torrenting is fine, just read the TOS /EULA if Ur conserned.
>>
>>51271483
my fault for reading PC Mag!
>>
>>51271499
I'm looking for a VPN that will work inside China. It seems that situation changes on a near daily basis at the moment.
>>
how about cryptostorm?
>>
Is a VPN alone more trustworthy than TOR? If i want maximum anonymity on the internet should I use a VPN only or is there a program that I should use along with it?
>>
>>51271824
TOR > VPN
But TOR isn't available everywhere.
>>
>>51271940
And it's depressingly slow.

All the VPns have been banged on 4Chain anyway
>>
>>51271757
I wonder about them as well. They seem kind of strange. Not in a bad way, just strange.

>>51271824
A VPN is as trustworthy as your trust in the provider.

>>51271947
>All the VPns have been banged on 4Chain anyway

Not all of them. The one i use depends on which server i use. The more popular servers tend to be ISP banned.
>>
>>51272038

No no.

They've all been banned.

Everyone might as well give up trying to post with them.

Shh.
>>
has anyone used freedome or ibvpn?

also where do you guys go to get von info apart from their respective sites
>>
>>51272492
what kind of info are you looking for?
>>
>>51271571
Been using Astrill in China for over a year now, works fine.
>>
>>51271571
Buy more than one. When Xi went maximum dickhead mode for all of July and banned one of mine,I just swapped to another. Also, I would take advantage of the current 1900元/yr deal that China Telecom has for 200mbps fiber internet. Will pump up your VPN speeds. I watch YouTube at 1080p 60 FPS on a good day in Shanghai.
>>
>>51271121
torrents are a pain to setup, but price is right. They don't give a shit, but don't expect stupid speeds on anything.

Internet rumours say they directly feed law enforcement, but law enforcement doesn't give a shit about torrents in other countries.
>>
>>51273817
the usual shit, logs how secure is it, reviews, speeds and other things. i'm really looking for a one stop shop for vpn articles/reviews but i guess id be okay going to multiple sites
>>
>>51270828
Not a good choice. They retain data. (old source)
https://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-providers-really-take-anonymity-seriously-111007/
Also the owner is a crybaby bitch
https://torrentfreak.com/giganews-golden-frog-founder-fires-off-at-dropbox-and-mega-130314/
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.