[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
mpv runs better on windows than on linux mint. Seriously, why
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3
File: 1429034725169.png (126 KB, 407x371) Image search: [Google]
1429034725169.png
126 KB, 407x371
mpv runs better on windows than on linux mint.
Seriously, why it stutters so much on panning scenes? It's perfectly fine on win 10.
>>
>using mint
>ever
>>
>>51268252
drivers
>>
>>51268252
Did you set up the config for each?
>>
>>51268419
almost same config for each (except "ao" of course)
>>
>>51268252
Did you enable interpolation? What GPU do you have and what drivers are you using in Mint?
>>
File: 2.png (52 KB, 642x507) Image search: [Google]
2.png
52 KB, 642x507
>>51268584
Yes, enabled. GTX 760.
>>
>>51268703
Try the 340.93 driver and see what happens.
>>
>>51268703
>346

what year is it?
>>
>>51268756
I tried every one of them and there's minimal difference (and no video at all with nouveau).

That's not like it's unwatchable thought. Only stutters in some scenes, but it's smooth on windows so I'm wondering why.
>>
File: 6905.jpg (11 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
6905.jpg
11 KB, 320x240
>>51268703
>using proprietary drivers on a freedom respecting OS

At least give us a trigger warning before posting such images.
>>
>the sole purpose of this nigger is to fuck up on mint and diss it
>>
>>51268834
If I check nouveau driver I don't have video at all...
>>
>>51268950
Might want to look into that, I use MPV, nouveau drivers and a GTX 760 and get silky smooth animu.
>>
>>51268252
It's your video driver, or lack thereof.

For example, the windows drivers for the intel GMA 4500 integrated card on my machine only support OpenGL 1.2, but the open source linux driver supports up to OpenGL 2.0.

As a consequence, I can't play minecraft on windows, but it plays perfectly on linux.
>>
>>51268703
I would say go with nouveau.
>>
>>51268703
>346
I'm on 355.11.4 over here. Is mint really this outdated?
>>
>>51268703
run `groups` for me. Are you in the video group?
>>
>>51273268
also `glxinfo`
>>
>>51268252
Try mplayer.
Mpv dev don't know how to code.
>>
>>51268252
wait
mine stutters on windows
what is your config, gpu, gpu drivers
>>
>>51268252
what the hell, I have the same problem, sort of.

vo=opengl-hq:interpolation:tscale=mitchell:waitvsync

used to just werk, but the new mpv complains about GLX_SCI_video_sync not being found, and what used to be butter smooth playback now stutters and drops frames when I'm in fullscreen. Not full screen it's fine.

I fixed the video_sync thing by disabling vsync but I still can't play ANY full screen video (ANY full screen video, yes, ANY) without framedropping. From 10bit 1080p to 480 XviD. No difference with HW acceleration on or off.

Intel i5-5300U w/ HD5500 graphics and a 1440p screen.
>>
>>51273658
Oh and I'm using whatever the latest mesa drivers are on arch. As well as mpv, ffmpeg, X, etc. from the repos.
>>
if there are any of you out there that still have interpolation in config you might want to check first if your monitor/tv can be set to 50hz

I switched to 50hz on my TV and synced the playback to resampling audio and it looks much better than interpolation, try it
>>
>>51273658
>>51273668
Roll back to an older version, that's probably due to display-sync changes
Opening a bug report it's a good idea too
>>
>>51273658
>>51273668
>updating a fully functional program/system
why? you kinda deserve it.

I guess the meme that archfags run pacman -Syu all day every day was true all along.
>>
>>51276136
I used to do that pacman -Syu everyday thing, I always wondered why open source fags always looked for changelogs

now I just run windows, I don't have time for arch anymore but I do get why people use it
>>
>>51276481
>I don't have time for arch anymore
I do upgrade it once a few months and it always ends up breaking something, though most of the time just trivial things like systemd trying to find things I unmasked or gtk resetting some settings, most of which can easily be solved with etc-update, but sometimes you'll just end up with no graphical interface or some programs not working due to automatic wayland over xorg flags
>>
>>51277326
Here's an idea: Use the distro the way the devs intended and update once a week. It always worked on my machine senpai :^)
>>
>>51273658
Unfortunately, mpv really degraded a lot regarding performance in the last few releases.
I once asked them about it in IRC but the response was I just shouldn't use the good features on bad hardware, although stuff worked before.
On my notebook the same config continues to use more and more performance with every release... not something I want for a device on battery.

Recently I read they even want to kill interpolation and offer interpolation only together with display-sync, which would be horrible as interpolation works absolutely fine and smooth on my notebook while display-sync drops frames frequently...
>>
>>51278253
so? use the old versions, it's that fucking easy.

or make your own fork, the source is all there, redirect your energy from whining to coding. oh i'm sorry, you don't know how to code? you want mpv devs to cater to you? that's a sorry excuse for laziness.

mpv devs goal isn't to cater to stupid fucks too poor to replace their shitty laptops, it's not a fucking charity project, they've been pushing the limits of hardware since the start.

entitled piece of shit, the world doesn't revolve around you
>>
>>51277326
You sound like you have no idea how your system works and are really stupid
>>
I can't stream 60fps videos with mpv+yt-dl, it's either heavy desync, like it's running on integrated graphics or dropping 120 frames in three seconds. If I download the video then play it, it works fine. I know it's not hardware problem because it can run even heavy videos barely dropping frames.
Can anyone help me?
>>
>>51276027
I'll try downgrading, but I really don't want to, the new update got the shaders back. Furthermore I read up on the video_sync issue here https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/2364 but I'm not sure what half that stuff means about EGL vs GLX.

>>51278799
>mpv devs goal isn't to cater to stupid fucks too poor to replace their shitty laptops, it's not a fucking charity project, they've been pushing the limits of hardware since the start.
It's still breaking compatibility though, and this isn't an issue of the hardware not working. My CPU, without vaapi, barely gets above 25% when doing 10bit 1080p. There should be no framedropping, at all. In fact there ISN'T framedropping unless I do full screen. Even scaling the video up to like 2500x1400 doesn't drop frames. This is something that they're doing wrong. I don't know what setting it is, but something is breaking full screen.
>>
>>51278925
read the release notes.
>>
>>51278973
mpv or yt-dl?
>>
>>51278925
I have the same problem, but with all 60fps videos. They used to play fine until a while ago, but now they drop frames like crazy.
>>
>>51279065
Same. Had to revert from 0.12.0 to 0.11.0.
>>
>>51279203
if only you could read the release notes.
>>
>>51279228
I couldn't play any 60fps at all, even those I downloaded. Where is that mentioned on the release notes?
>>
>Windows build site no longer has the jew on it
I don't trust it anymore.
>>
>>51279339
thank plex for that one
>>
>>51279370
Actually he should thank a guy that months ago pestered lachs0r on IRC so much that he removed the jew to make him to shut up.
>>
>>51278930
>I'm not sure what half that stuff means about EGL vs GLX.

try using opengl-hq:backend=x11 .egl stuff is bugged
>>
>>51279896
I did, full screen still doesn't work.

Also I meant more in terms of what was changed to break compatibility. Why doesn't it work now? Is that mpv or did Intel fuck up with their drivers?
>>
>>51279938
intel has underperforming drivers but your problem can be related to recently added new options to opengl-hq. start from vo=opengl instead and add your own options.
>>
>>51279938
>>51280283
For example cscale used to be bilinear in opengl but now it is spline36. For low end systems it is quite performance hit
>>
Any reason why my mpv loads youtube streams specifically extremely slow? Video takes almost 30 seconds to start playing where's streams from every other site play with little pause

Using El Capitan
>>
>>51280350
Read the release notes.
>>
>>51280300
>cscale used to be bilinear in opengl
meant opengl-hq
opengl-hq is currently equivalent to

vo=opengl:scale=spline36:cscale=spline36:dscale=mitchell:dither-depth=auto:correct-downscaling:sigmoid-upscaling:pbo:deband

you can try something simpler like

vo=opengl:scale=spline36:dither-depth=auto:fbo-format=rgba16:fancy-downscaling:sigmoid-upscaling
>>
>>51280506
Oh Jesus, that's quite the difference. I guess it's time I actually learn these options.
>>
>>51280506
>>51280667
Well while I'm here, can someone explain to me what pbo (pixel buffer objects) and fbo-format (frame buffer object) options do and why they're switched in the two opengl-hqs?

The only difference I see is that and debanding on the newer one. That and obviously the different scaling algorithms used.
>>
>>51281047
>why they're switched in the two opengl-hqs?

I think fbo-format is also default in normal opengl now, so you don't need to put that in. You can try other fbo-formats to see if they make a difference.

pbo supposed to make things faster but can degrade performance on some systems, try it out with and without.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.