[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Asus just announced a 10Gbps NIC. http://www.guru3d.com/ne
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2
Asus just announced a 10Gbps NIC.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/asus-launches-rog-10g-express-10gbps-ethernet-expansion-card.html

Will we finally see consumer grade 10 GbE?

You can say there is no point for that at home, but why create inferior products when we have the ability to produce something better?
>>
File: asddfgfh.png (51 KB, 192x203) Image search: [Google]
asddfgfh.png
51 KB, 192x203
>buying stuff made by ASUCKS
>>
i'll move to 10GbE when it's about as cheap as GbE is now, i can max out GbE with mass transfers already

interesting that they'd slap 'gaming' marketing on it though, as if gaming needs anywhere near that kind of bandwidth
>>
Asus is literally the cancer, every brand that isn't Asus is just better

Why the fuck does an Asus X99 Deluxe cost as much as a MSI X99 XPower AC or more than a Gigabyte SOC Champion when it is literally absolutely shit in comparison?
>>
>10GB NIC
>not buying Intel

What the fuck?
>>
>>51264572
> inferior products

I have had a few devices at home and do work at a lot of offices and I have never seen a dead nic since 1997 at 10Gb only 2 offices out of the 100 that I service would really need it. I would buy this just to add to my home lab. Do we really need it at home? no, but it's nice.
>>
>>51264637
exactly this.
>>
>>51264638
What do you do?
>>
Are you willing to spend $1000 on a 10G switch?

The average person doesn't need 10G at home, hell most servers don't even need 10G. It's useful for virtualization and for enterprise backbones.
>>
>RoG
Does it even have cool leds?
>>
>>51264572
>You can say there is no point for that at home, but why create inferior products when we have the ability to produce something better?

Enjoy having a fucking server rack with equipment costing something in the thousands of USD just to handle 10GbE.

Enjoy having to do cable management with ridiculously stiff cables that also happen to be expensive.

This is retarded.

>>51264660
>>51264637

This.
>>
>>51264660
Yeah but price
>>
>>51264673
I'm just a small IT guy who runs around new york with no qualifications fixing servers and work stations in small offices. I charge $120 to run avast on peoples computers -=)
>>
>>51264675
This. Plus add hundreds of dollars for each 10GBaseT SFP+ module.

Consumer 10GbE is still a pipe dream.
>>
>>51264675
"Need" and "handy" are two different things, but the number of consumers that would benefit from 10G is pretty minimal. Most internet in the US is under 100mbps, and most people use wifi for the majority of their devices. If people have the latest dual band devices AND very non-polluted 2.4ghz spectrum AND no 802.11g/b devices that degrade the speed of the 2.4ghz band, they can THEORETICALLY get 1.75gbps on 802.11ac (never managed to actually achieve that even in a clean environment with AC1900 capable router and PCIe card).

For a power user at home with servers, multiple wired devices, it might make a difference... but you can fit a lot into a gigabit for home use.
>>
>>51264872
>>51264675
>giving two shits about what the "average person" needs
>on /g/
fuck them, i don't come here to talk about what others want
>>
>>51264948

Yeah? Do you want a 10Gb ethernet interface that you can't even use without investing thousands of dollars in infrastructure to support it? No?

Thought so. Fuck off you retarded piece of shit.
>>
>>51264948
Do you have a RAIDed NAS that can do over 1GBps read/write speed?

Or are you a ricer?
>>
>>51264994
assuming you meant 1Gbps, yes, actually, my raid can hit 240MB/s
>>
>>51264983
i also posted >>51264614
>>
>Backdoor Inside
>>
One can always LACP, sure it's not the 10x speed bump of 10Gb, but one can easily reduce the bottlenecking even in many enthusiast setups.
>>
>>51265192
For >>51264637
>>
>>51265192
>>51265210
Are you retarded? 10Gb is for local networks, many systems using this type of routing never even get internet access.
>>
>>51265228
So you're telling me that just because the card doesn't connect directly to the Internet it can't be backdoored?
>>
>>51265247
Gaining physical access to a system isn't exactly what they call a backdoor.
>>
>>51265280
For 10Gb/s connections both computers need 10GbE NICs. You're telling me that every time a 10GbE network is set up that every computer on it is airgapped?
>>
No point in using a cheap ass 10g NIC when you've still gotta buy expensive 10g switches/routers/etc.

I might be moving inside EPB's service area in the near future, and if I do I've got a friend that'd be willing to pay for hardware and part of the bill for 10g. We'd both get fat pipes to play with, though I really don't have that much use for stuff that big.
>>
>>51265085
>1GBps
>assuming you meant 1Gbps

Or we could assume he meant 1GBps
>>
>>51265497
why? it only takes exceeding 1Gbps to benefit from something faster than GbE

i don't need to go as far as saturating 10GbE as well
>>
>>51265541
>why

I dunno...because that's what he wrote?
>>
>>51264637
if it isn't intel, nokia, siemens, or ericsson it isn't work considering.
>>
Hardly thousands of dollars.

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSAFE-XS708E-Ethernet-XS708E-100NES/dp/B00B46AEE6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1447096989&sr=8-2&keywords=XS712T
>>
>>51265892
IBM
>>
>>51264626
Because the Asus is the only company that makes decent x99 boards.
>>
>>51264572
>Rog shit
>Probably going to be some killer nic based chip

Nah fuck that shit.
>>
>>51264572
It's a bit overkill but if you can use it then good on you.
Is the edgy case design necessary?
>>
>>51264572
>You can say there is no point for that at home, but why create inferior products when we have the ability to produce something better?
Because there's no need lol
It's like fixing something that doesn't need fixing
>>
>>51264572
>10Gb gaemen NICs
>gaming network comms are a few kB/s
The only time they'd really be useful is if you go to a LAN party or something and need to copy the games off a dedicated server, in which case >>51264675
>>
>>51264572
I don't get it, intel offers this product already for only like $300
>>
Quit pinging like a noob.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.