[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people buy Macs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 133
Thread images: 15
File: .jpg (191 KB, 1920x1224) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
191 KB, 1920x1224
Why do people buy Macs?
>>
They enjoy eating shit from their own hands
>>
>>51256988
OS X, aesthetics, quality, works well with other devices sold by Apple.
>>
File: 1446792279514.jpg (55 KB, 400x280) Image search: [Google]
1446792279514.jpg
55 KB, 400x280
>>51256988
Some people just like to eat shit from their hands.
>>
>>51256988
Because its hard to find a very high specced windows machine that isnt gaymen.

You know what you are going to get when you buy one.
>>
>>51257170
>it's hard to google

>so i just eat shit from my hands

baka desu senpai
>>
Because an dead orphan jew nigga is their Messiah.

They hope to bring back their jerbs
>>
>>51256988
Too poor to buy real laptops.
>>
>>51256988
Because of the brand name. Buying one shows others that you're able to afford an expensive computer. As a result it gives you a bit of an "in" with people who also own one or are more well-off, financially speaking. It's the same way with cars, really, even though the difference in price between a luxury car and a new run-of-the-mill car is much greater.

That's an overly simplistic explanation but in general I think it works. There's always exceptions and there's people who buy them that don't have a lot of money but that's due to Macs not being so incredibly expensive that only the rich can afford them. This is just my two cents.
>>
On the off chance you're serious:

I bought mine for the audio drivers, garageband, and the aluminum chassis.
>>
>>51257509
Why would you pay money to eat shit from your hands?
>>
Really simple, actually.

>They know it's an Apple product and the general masses think Apple automatically equals quality products
>Everyone at college uses it
>Parents buy it for them
>Buy it with student loan money
>>
File: 1427157548421.jpg (219 KB, 837x768) Image search: [Google]
1427157548421.jpg
219 KB, 837x768
>>51257009
> ONLY works well with other devices sold by Apple.
fixed that for you
>>
>>51257563
>Buy it with student loan money
this x1000

>>51257006
>tfw three people try to force a meme
>>
>>51257520

> he doesn't know about audio latency

> he can't play any instruments
>>
>>51256988
Only a few people buy Macs (reminder they only have 5% market share)

- Girls
- Hipsters
- Faggots
>>
File: MlepMlep.gif (412 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
MlepMlep.gif
412 KB, 320x240
I wanted unix and photoshop and a laptop made of metal.

My choices were an ugly samsung aluminum can with unsupported OpenBSD and half-functional wine or a macbook.
>>
>>51257651
Pretty sure OS X works pretty well with OpenBSD and BB10OS

Oh what that's because it does.
>>
literally for facebook. Its unproductive, no games and overall piece of shit OS(OSx)
>>
>>51260068
>I have no clue what I'm talking about
>>
>>51257170
>hard to find
Dell XPS 15. Gtx 960m, i7, 16gb ram QHD+.
>>
>>51260068
>Two extremely vague points and the one thing everybody keeps repeating, even though nobody cares.
Yeah, I bet nobody will notice that you made that up completely without any clue.
>>
>>51257170
Dell XPS 13/15

HP Omen is discrete gayman

Surface Pro 4 (although dual core lol fuck me)
>>
>>51260074
>>51260104
its true tho, theres a reason why windows is commonly used in companies. Also for autistic gaymurs

Lets face it, OSx is for special snowflakes in starbucks. I guess its good for designers, but they are gays anyway
>>
they take the brown pill
>>
File: 1378357340466.jpg (251 KB, 983x1013) Image search: [Google]
1378357340466.jpg
251 KB, 983x1013
>>51260132
>marketshare = good OS
>>
>>51256988
Because eating shit from your own hands is a pleasant experience™
>>
>>51260143
never said its good, i just said its for productive people.

stay neet
>>
OSX is easier to work with for people who use computers for email, YouTube, surfing in general. But, they give up total control of their machine as opposed to Linux.
Overhead's a bit too inflated though.
>>
>>51260145
Gonna stop forcing your 9gag-tier meme anytime soon?

>>51260151
>it's for productive people
Windows is popular because everyone develops software for it. Everyone develops software for it because it's popular. That's it. Windows' market share is thanks to nothing more than a perpetual catch-22-like cycle.
>>
>>51260151
Nice theory, any real backup? Say I want to install the ROOT framework to do some data analysis at CERN. How do I do that in Windows?
>>
>>51260177
>But, they give up total control of their machine as opposed to Linux.
Please, do go on.
>>
>>51260192
Shit like root access or UI customization
>>
>>51260227
>root access
I have that
>UI customization
I can do that too
>>
>>51260227
sudo -i
enter password
there, root access.
>>
>>51260178
>>51260180

>Triggered aging hipsters detected.

See The Comedy for a glimpse of your wonderful future
>>
because OS doesnt matter anymore
>>
>>51260233
Shit, forgot about the terminal. Props to apple I guess
>>
>>51256988
I want a unix OS and a native unix shell.

I tried to use Linux on an XPS 13 and the battery life was shit, my font rendering in Chromium broke twice, and I couldn't get any of the software I was used to using on my Windows desktop.

After recently making a Hackintosh I'm pretty certain I'm buying an rMBP soon. Decent access to professional commercial software with native bash terminal and homebrew for package management. And a GUI that doesn't suck.
>>
>>51257655 >>51257563
I still haven't understood why people burn student loan money on this. It isn't as if they don't have to pay that back, many times with interest at that.

In another question, does mac support multiple tty instances (alt+cmd+Fi, where i is a natural number)?
>>
>>51260290
Are you fucking stupid? What would make you think that a UNIX OS wouldn't have a terminal emulator?
>>
>>51260255
The comedy is such a great movie. It hit hard.
>>
File: fox.jpg (184 KB, 688x1434) Image search: [Google]
fox.jpg
184 KB, 688x1434
>>51256988
because they fucking can, and people have different tastes you fucking poorfag
>>
>>51256988
Nice machines, Unix OS with a nice UI.
>>
>>51260303
Isn't it a basic requirement under POSIX?
>>
>>51260303
Just let it go. He didn't have any actual clue, he thought he could get away with repeating the same shit he reads on /g/ all the time. Now he's trying a lame escape. It's alright.
>>
>>51260026
>works well with memes
>>
>>51260507
>memes
How so?
>>
File: macfag-and-the-grapes.jpg (322 KB, 688x1434) Image search: [Google]
macfag-and-the-grapes.jpg
322 KB, 688x1434
>>51260321
poorfag detected
>>
File: 1406548328821.png (2 MB, 1280x1313) Image search: [Google]
1406548328821.png
2 MB, 1280x1313
>>51256988
Its the small things... Built in location tracking, quality body. battery indicators on the side... MAGNIFICIENT touchpad... Comes with a fantastic BSD OS.

Its just awesome...
"Muh Benchmarks" poorfags can go back to >>>/v/
>>
>>51260143
Its like saying anal is the best kind of sex because of the suppoerted platforms.
>>
In the United States of America a large percentage of Americans are low to mid IQ consumer whores whose only validly comes from the perception others have about them. They use their possessions to define the person they want others to think they are or at least who they want to be perceived as. This is the reason for the giant logos on everything. They may get irritated by this comment not for what its contents say about them but because they don't understand the implications are negative.
>>
>>51261160
That's a big mother fucking word salad for a simple concept known as 'status symbol' you fucking sperg.
>>
Because some people just want a good computer without having to fuck with spec sheets. If you're willing to spend the time to research and understand the implications of computer specifications, you are probably not best off with Apple.

Apple is all about not having bad options, and capture that sweet high income demographic because of it.
>>
File: 114.png (8 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
114.png
8 KB, 1024x768
I bought a mac, because all Linux didn't run well on the Sony Vaio Pro 13 at the time. I didn't want to bother buying n more laptops until I got one that actually does run Linux well. So, I gave the Sony to my mother and decided to go buy a Mac.

I need a UNIX/UNIX-like system and I was always curious about them anyway. I don't think I would buy another one, though.
>>
>>51261455
>don't think I would buy another one, though.

Why?
>>
>>51256988
nice hardware
I vastly prefer the OS to windows
customer support is top notch, always comes out on top in consumer reports etc
my mbp from 2010 still feels almost new
the price difference in a same specced windows machine is a day of work for me so I couldn't care less as long as I get the OS I want

saying that, I'm very tempted NOT to get a new mbp when I come to upgrade, mostly because of the difficulty of replacing the battery yourself, the ram replacement I can live without although I'd still prefer to swap it myself

lack of serviceability on new machines is a game changer for me
>>
>>51257655
Sounds like you eat shit from your own hands my friend.
>>
>>51261474

They're decent machines and I understand the appeal, but they really are tailored for the average joe. If you're a "normie" then buy one but any other machine will do it for you too. My gripes:

Harware:
- shit keyboard
- intake and exhaust are right next to each other, which is dumb and inefficient
- bezels are a bit big for my taste
- my particular MacBook had an imperfect bottom plate. They had to replace it, because it made creaky sounds

Software:
- HFS+ is shit
- the subtle differences between GNU tools and their BSD counterparts made it a pain in the ass for me. Still does.
- castrated command line system tools
- No kernel namespaces. Boy was I pissed when I couldn't try out Docker on this thing.
- default mouse acceleration is cancer and annoyingly difficult to adjust
- no (accessible) PXE
- Need a compiler? Here install this gigantic package
- When I got my machine, OSX didn't have the simplest tiling functionality
- Fucking .DS_Store file. Finder in general is shit.
- Open image on Finder, can't press left or right to view the other images in the folder
- Homebrew fucking sucks but you can't get around it
- Bunch of programs like Mathematica need X11
- Everything in Apple Store is shit.

There's a ton of other things that just annoy me.
>>
>>51261605
Fair enough, though most of your points are irrelevant/incomprehensible to me, but
> Open image on Finder, can't press left or right to view the other images in the folder
You can absolutely do that or I don't know what you mean.
>>
>>51261646
When I open an image in Finder, by default it starts up a program called Preview and I can't just tap left/right or up/down or whatever to load up the next image in the folder. I've just been using a different program since forever, but I just checked and it's still not possible in Yosemite.
>>
>>51261677
You have to select the image and then hit space.
>>
>>51261683
That's dumb for when I have other files in the folder. I guess I can order them but that then puts .jpg and .png in their own subsections. On Linux and Windows (as far as I can tell), I can just open up any image in a folder and clicking next will open up the next image in said folder. I can also do a selection, which then limits the functionality above to the selected images.
>>
>>51261715
Well, yeah. I guess there are 3rd party applications available for that purpose, as you already use. But I see how that's annoying to you.
>>
Why do slavs buy Adidas?
>>
>>51261715
>I can also do a selection, which then limits the functionality above to the selected images.
If you select several images then you actually can hit next/previous in preview and it will cycle within the selected group. It just doesn't work when you open one. Which, I admit, is retarded.
>>
File: 1422072960574.png (355 KB, 824x468) Image search: [Google]
1422072960574.png
355 KB, 824x468
Because they are the only laptops on the market with a high quality screen, keyboard, trackpad, fantastic battery life, superior software and a tremendous resale value.

Buying everything else is throwing your money away at an inferior product.

This isn't exactly rocket science, buying a non-Apple laptop immediately classifies you as technologically illiterate, like most of /g/.
>>
File: 1443756346723.jpg (82 KB, 500x707) Image search: [Google]
1443756346723.jpg
82 KB, 500x707
>>51261897
>resale value

>macfags are so poor they have to have their computer count as a liquid asset so they can sell it at any moment in case they run out of shit to eat from their hands
>>
>>51261861
Not all of us wear Adidas.
>>
To make you poor shiteating niggers even more butthurt
>>
>>51256988
because they are not poor like chinkpad users
>>
>>51260180
>Say I want to install the ROOT framework to do some data analysis at CERN. How do I do that in Windows?
That's exactly what your average office worker needs to do everyday. Always amazing how people can be halfway intelligent and completely fuckin retarded at the same time.
>>
>>51262109
Who was talking about average office workers? Why should I care what average office workers do?
>>
>>51262077
>money > knowledge
>>
>>51261897

okay i own a mac too buddy and you're making us look bad jesus christ
>>
>>51262146
Look. That's how a discussion works. You cannot talk about what people need and then literally shit on everything and only care what your special fuckin snowflake needs are you complete piece of shit mongoloid.

Every fuckin production measuring software in use is specifically tailored for running on windows. Even fuckin apple uses windows to produce their shitbooks. That's what productive means. To produce something of value.
>>
>>51262162
Oh hey Tai Lopez
>>
>>51262180
His claim was that Windows was for productive people (thus implying that OS X is not) and I posted an example where Windows is unproductive as hell (one among many, btw). You also successfully recognized in your post that productivity is just a matter of what you need. For some needs, Windows might be the best choice, for others it's a pain in the ass. Differentiation is also part of how a discussion works.
>>
>>51262162
MEN TOUR
>>
>>51256988

bcs OS X is the best linux op
>>
having anything apple is a status symbol.

"look at me, i have an ishit and im drinking starbucks. im important."
>>
>>51261184
No refutation, just complaints about the length. You seem to be mildly irritated by the way I wrote my comment or to state it simpler and much shorter. You mad bro? Well are thee irrationally perturbed?
>>
>>51257428
You'd buy a nice car or a house if it was about money.
>>
Because they're intelligent, functional and neurotypical members of society. PeeCee is for fat retarded 'gamer' children and LOONIX is for the autistic.
>>
>>51260507
How's being unemployed workin out for ya anon?
>>
OSX is the only consumer UNIX.

It has support for proprietary software.
>>
>>51257248
intellectually poor*
>>
>>51256988
marketing and walled garden
>>
>>51261605
>intake and exhaust right next to each other

No they arent, are you fucking blind?
>>
>>51256988
Homosexuality
>>
>>51260005
Or you could get a Zen book or a Surface like a sane person.
>>
>>51257768
Not that Anon, but you could easily buy a Dell or a Lenovo, get a Focusrite 2i2 and still save several hundred bucks.

>Garageband
As instruments/VSTs go, just stay on the look out for those like Digital Sensations that become freeware once in a while. Even Audacity as an open source uses VSTs.

Mac may be Avid's sugar daddy, but there are still ways to save tons. Not much of a reason to get a mac for audio, kind of a gimmick if you ask me.
>>
>>51261605
This anon speaks truth. There are tons of little UI deficiencies with OS X that require third party tools to fix, and because Apple users have more money than sense, they all cost money.
>>
Because Macintosh has a mid-size market share, below Windows and above GNU/Linux, so some people will buy them.
>>
>>51265385
Saying all of the solutions cost money is biased, because SmoothMouse, Spectacle, and XQuartz are all free and open source software.
>>
File: amis.jpg (19 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
amis.jpg
19 KB, 640x480
Same reason the bourgeois drive BMWs, Audis and Mercedes' - to show off their wealth, even if its often loaned wealth.
>>
16:10
>>
>>51256988
mac is for illiterates, people who dont want to learn about hardware and take care of that shitty OS called windows or to learn Linux.
so, why people spend in that? because they "win" precious time and stability in simple tasks, thats why.
>>
>>51261605
most people dont give a fuck about any of that
>>
>- HFS+ is shit
Agreed
>- the subtle differences between GNU tools and their BSD counterparts
Good, makes going back and forth between OS X and BSD systems less of a pain
>- castrated command line system tools
How so?
>- No kernel namespaces. Boy was I pissed when I couldn't try out Docker on this thing.
I can see how it'd be an issue
>- default mouse acceleration is cancer and annoyingly difficult to adjust
I haven't had any issues with mouse acceleration in OS X since ~10.5
>- no (accessible) PXE
But that's wrong
>- Need a compiler? Here install this gigantic package
OS X comes with LLVM/Clang
>- When I got my machine, OSX didn't have the simplest tiling functionality
That's because it doesn't use a tiling WM
>- Fucking .DS_Store file. Finder in general is shit.
It's a minor annoyance
>- Open image on Finder, can't press left or right to view the other images in the folder
Wrong
>- Homebrew fucking sucks but you can't get around it
What's wrong with Homebrew?
>- Bunch of programs like Mathematica need X11
It's not OS X's fault that the programs' developers fail to write a version of the program for Cocoa
>- Everything in Apple Store is shit.
What did you expect?
>>
>>51266074
for >>51261605
>>
>>51256988
Because let's face it, Windows has lost its touch. It started with Vista and has gone downhill ever since.

OS X gives people a nice UI experience. And fuck the normies, it gives people a passable UNIX experience.

Also, Apple logos aside, you cannot argue that they doesn't make nice looking hardware.
>>
Wait wait wait wait wat
You mean to tell me that Americans spend their student loans on expensive laptops they don't need and other retarded shit only to complain afterwards how their debt is 70000$?
>>
>>51266127
>windows 7 isn't the best OS ever
>windows 10 apart from telemetry isn't good
>I care about what my hardware looks like
How is that shit tasting?
>>
File: 1446684755284.jpg (25 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1446684755284.jpg
25 KB, 480x360
>>51256988
It doesn't really matter what OS you use for school because Google Docs works well and is web based.
>>
File: lifestyle_of_the_rich.jpg (1 MB, 1000x2000) Image search: [Google]
lifestyle_of_the_rich.jpg
1 MB, 1000x2000
Apple products are generally well-designed. OSX for example, is so much better than Windows 10. It's highly consistent, and beautiful.

The thing is, it's much too expensive. I can generally do all the things I can do on a Macbook and more on a notebook that's half the price. The profit margin is really ridiculous. I can pay it, but I don't want to support businesses that work this way. I'd rather spend the money I save on travelling the world and supporting my family.

Plus I don't want to associate myself with all the tech illiterates and hipsters that associate with Apple products. These kind of retards literally give their lives to defend Apple products.

And I really FUCKING HATE iTunes and it's retarded synchronisation system.
>>
>>51257170
Fucking THIS. I have been looking for a design machine that has high rendering capability yet doesn't have the gaymen tag slapped all over it and it's basically impossible. Apple is the only company that actually caters to graphic designers.
>>
>>51257768
>what is asio

>>51265220
>Even Audacity as an open source uses VSTs.
Audacity has better support for audio units
literally everything does these days
>>
>>51265220
>Using Audacity
>>
>>51256988
Because they're simpler than PC and work for what most people do anyway (web browsing, video streaming, etc).
>>
>>51266328
I'm not a mac user, but I'm going to argue that it isn't financially a bad decision to buy a mac. Let's say you pay 1000 bucks for a macbook. You could get another laptop with equivalent specs for 700 bucks, so you've wasted 300 bucks. However, fast forward 1 year, and you will be able to sell your macbook for 700 bucks (assuming it still works), however, the 700 buck laptop will only be worth 400 bucks. If you sell it now, you'll have paid as much for both computers. If you wait another year, the macbook will still be worth 600 bucks, but the 700 dollar laptop is only worth 200. By now, you've actually saved 100 dollars if you sell the macbook.

I'm aware that this is almost entirely based on apple users being complete fanboys, and the logic only works assuming that the risk that the computer completely breaks is negligible (which it isn't), but we all know that the second-hand prices of macs are much higher than almost any other consumer laptop, so it's not as blatantly stupid as it appears.
>>
>>51266627
>owever, fast forward 1 year, and you will be able to sell your macbook for 700 bucks (assuming it still works), however, the 700 buck laptop will only be worth 400 bucks.
Why the fuck would I want to sell a 1 year old notebook. I don't fucking get it. When I buy a notebook, I keep it for as long as it works. Maybe if it gets slow, I replace some parts (which is almost impossible or very expensive on Apple products).
>>
>>51260083
holy shit. never seen the XPS 15 before. This is amazing
>>
So many laptops are plastic shit with bad screens. Even higher end window machines are ugly as fuck, I can see why it would turn people gay
>>
>best screen
>best touchpad
>best keyboard
>best battery life
>best OS
>best build quality
>>
Because it's cheap, yet great quality and standards
>inb4 advising me to buy $400 more expensive non-OSX ultraportable
literally why
>>
File: 1435275539402.webm (748 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1435275539402.webm
748 KB, 480x480
>I use a mac
>>
>>51260599
Well, it is
>>
>>51260121
>>51260083
>>51266718
>ADAPTIVE BRIGHTNESS
>ADAPTIVE BRIGHTNESS
>ADAPTIVE BRIGHTNESS
>>
>>51266772
>>best screen
But isn't it a tn panel?
>>
>>51256988

Because we live in a materialist, consumerist world where people constantly seek the next product to try and fill that void of unhappiness within them. Of course, it never does, and the vicious cycle repeats itself.

Corporations like Apple cash in on this by creating products people think they need, and deliberately putting a huge mark-up on the products actual cost to manufacture. They also deliberately keep the product life cycle to the shortest possible time and the items generally get treated as disposable. Once a new product comes out, a huge marketing campaign once again begins and convinces the poor sheep that they need a nice shiny product in their lives.
>>
>>51266836
That looks like fun
>>
>>51260074
>I am a gigantic faggot
>>
>>51260599
Anal is like the Mac sex. Only 5% of all sex is Anal and it's mostly by gays.

Windows is p in v sex, 90% of all sex is p in v and it just works.
>>
Because I get a huge discount through my job on them, and their warranties are excellent.
>>
Because they don't try to pretend gadget-ism is anything but consumerism. Apple embraces this reality head-on.
>>
>>51266968
Every rMBP has a IPS panel. Same with iMacs and MBs.
>>
>>51267125
> I'm a huge clue
>>
because the hardware and desktop software are literally superior

I dual boot Windows and Linux on my chinkpad but I would trade them in for a Macbook in a second
>>
>>51267293
>because the hardware and desktop software are literally gayer

Fixed.
>>
>>51267293

Shill/10
>>
>>51259974
can confirm. exactly the peer group in my uni.
>>
>>51267302
that's literally one of the reasons it's better
Thread replies: 133
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.