[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would you recommend Manjaro as a babby distro?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8
File: manjaro_shaped-600x600.png (39 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
manjaro_shaped-600x600.png
39 KB, 600x600
Would you recommend Manjaro as a babby distro?
>>
>>51256976
yes
>>
No, not at all.
Antergos does a better job at being an easier Arch. In fact, Manjaro offers absolutely nothing.
>>
>>51257050
This
Just use Antergos if you need Arch for Babbies. You can also use Architect Linux if you need a 100% vanilla version of Arch with a text based gui.
>>
I wouldn't recommend manjaro for my worst enemy.
>>
File: apricity-laptop.jpg (399 KB, 1984x1067) Image search: [Google]
apricity-laptop.jpg
399 KB, 1984x1067
If you want Arch, just use apricityOS. The only gnu/linux distro that looks good and just werks out of the box.
>>
>>51257050
As someone who has used all three I would agree. Antergos also uses Arch's repo's last I checked whereas Manjaro uses their own.
>>
>>51257109
Does it have the AUR?
>>
>>51257516
yes, it comes with yaourt and aur support
>>
>>51257516
Uses pacman so yeah
>>
>>51257050
Antergos has Systemd. Manjaro has an OpenRC version.

>>51257109
Seems like a good replacement for some people, but I don't like all the default cloud shit personally, but I can see how someone would want it. Once again, Systemd, but whatever. Doesn't work on 32-bit systems, that's a deal breaker imo, because I want the flexibility.

>>51257151
Just install yaourt. Or hell, the package manager has an option that allows you to search AUR instead of just Manjaro reps, right in the fucking gui.
>>
>>51257109
>Elementary OS based on Arch
kek
>>51257151
Manjaro supports both their repos and the AUR
>>51256976
I would if the package installer (pamac or octopi) was more beginner friendly
>>
I used Mint for one month and then I used fedora for a while. Now I am using Manjaro (Minimal Netinstall). Its comfy to be honest.
>>
>>51261751
Pamac is great, I have it on my arch box just for easy AUR searching.
>>
>>51256976
I'm personally using Antergos as a Linux babby and I have been on two seperate machines for a while now. The ease of installation makes me feel comfortable fucking with things. I like it a lot.
>>
>>51256976
if you want OpenRC and starting looks then; yes.
otherwise i would recommend Architect installer.
fuck antergos, even manjaro has more to offer that it.
>>
>>51257109
Applying the Arc GTK theme is called a distro now?
>>
>>51262682
welcome to Linux

>we installed some shit on top of debian that a script could do
>let's call it our own

>but we installed some more shit on top of that shit on top of debian
>let's call it our own
>>
>>51261790
Post wallpaper?
>>
File: qfhbZ.jpg (504 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
qfhbZ.jpg
504 KB, 3264x2448
Antergos is bestergos
>>
>>51262697
to be fair, Elementary OS has its own DE, so does Ubuntu. The only distros I can take seriously are ones that are independent and ones that take independent distros and at the least develop their own software to run on top of them
>>
>>51262802
why not just package Unity or Parthenon in the repos?
>>
>>51259767
>Antergos has Systemd. Manjaro has an OpenRC version.
How does that imply that Manjaro is better ?
>>
>>51262880
the fact that you have an option to not use systemdufus
>>
>>51262906
You also have that option in any Arch distro, dufus.
Not of course that this explains how systemd is worse than OpenRC.
>>
>>51262981
systemd is an effort to make Linux as much of a monolithic mess that Windows NT is
>>
>trusting these incompetent devs
https://archive.is/JeOLo
>>
Manjaro is but a retarded Arch. Why would you use a retarded version of something that is already questionable in its usefulness?
>>
File: 1433305170229.jpg (155 KB, 2010x1086) Image search: [Google]
1433305170229.jpg
155 KB, 2010x1086
>>51256976

Yes. Over the years I tried various Debian based distros because I was told that ubuntu/mint is best for newbie and I always switched back to Windows just because I always felt that I use some inferior tier win7. As newbie I didn't appreciate all good things and all I saw was GNOME, Cinnamon and pretty heavy distros which weren't any faster than win7. But several weeks ago I decided to try manjaro and it was spot on, because I liked stock xfce and it was amazingly fast and installed alongside with win7 without any problems. Also all drivers works like a charm out of the box.
>>
File: received_10153249903023379.jpg (72 KB, 1876x1052) Image search: [Google]
received_10153249903023379.jpg
72 KB, 1876x1052
>>51263020
>>
>>51256976
yes!
Ignore the other autists and jobless virgins here
>>
>>51256976
In all honesty I would sooner recommend Arch. Arch was my fist distro, and it was a very nice place to start out.
>>
File: mpv-shot0003.png (1 MB, 1282x720) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0003.png
1 MB, 1282x720
For arch based distro, and a gate to AUR?
Yes.
Antergos installer sometimes fails.

The only issue I had was with the sound it it was related to XFCE and had to re install.
Other issues were with certain AUR packages that couldn't build for whatever reason.
>>
Manjaro has
>Updater tool in GUI
>AUR search in GUI
>Kernel upgrade in GUI
so it's not just Arch. Some people want GUI instead of CLI.
>>
>>51256976

I'd tried Linux before in the past--Ubuntu, Redhat, Mandrake--but the first one I really stuck to and used as my daily OS was Manjaro. I used Mint and Xubuntu for a little while before that. I like Manjaro better than any Ubuntu derivative, but it's not the greatest thing in the world either. The problem with these sorts of distros (to me anyway; maybe you have different priorities) is that you not only don't learn much about the OS, in a lot of ways they discourage you from trying. Manjaro isn't quiet as bad as the others though.

I didn't really feel like I was learning *Nix until I began using OpenBSD a bit. It's not a beginner OS at all, but it's a lot simpler to use than you'd think, and you walk away having a better understanding of things. Use a beginner distro, but play around with something more serious as a secondary system if you want to learn.

That said, if you are interested in Arch, try Architect. It is Arch, just with a more user friendly installer that holds your hand as much as you want it to. Personally I still find OpenBSD simpler to install and configure (and I like using it more), but it's not bleeding edge like Arch. Not even close, so if you need that, Arch is a much better choice.
>>
>>51261790
>/home/Zabir
ZABIR
A
B
I
R

kek my shit up anon
>>
>>51262989
If you actually take a look at systemd instead of spouting retarded /g/ meemees you'll see it's compromised from multiple binaries.

Besades, Linux (which relies on Gnu'sNotUnix) isn't Unix but it's Linux.
>>
File: 1446103133174.jpg (191 KB, 600x2402) Image search: [Google]
1446103133174.jpg
191 KB, 600x2402
Since this is about manjaro and all.
I knda fucked up my system when I tried removing the pulseaudio and sticking to alsa.
Anyway now I don't have sound but can still 'see' the sound in the pavuctl menu.
I think the issue started because of using the physical volume control on the T420, and that somehow changed the active sound card and made manjaro unable to detect it, since I have sound in live session and the bug is reproducible when using the volume keys and then log in and out.

The issue I'm at my wits end of trying to figure out how to fix it, and decided to just ahead and do fresh install.
The thing is my /HOME directory is on a separate partition, So how do install again and have manjaro mount the old /HOME folder as the new?

TL;DR
How to mount old /home dir from manjaro install to a fresh install if it's on a separate partition?
>>
>>51263649
See >>51263034
>>
>>51263205
You can install pamac or whatever the fuck manjaro uses these days in Arch.
>>
>>51263649
Just don't format the partition with / home. IIRC the installer will let you manually set the partition scheme. Do it that way, and only reformat /

I'd recommend making / boot, and //var as separate partitions too. Use ext2 for / boot, reiserfs for /var, and jfsfor / and / home. If you have a lot of videos make /home/video separate too, and use jfsfor it. Usually I like have /usr/ and /usr/local separate too, but on Arch you need to mount /usr erly in the initrms, or your system won't boot.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.