[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gpu back cooling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: IMG_20151109_094722.jpg (2 MB, 2368x3200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151109_094722.jpg
2 MB, 2368x3200
How much of a difference would putting a fan on the back of a gpu make?

In battlefield 4 I notice it gets up to 80 degrees, but also the back of the gpu gets really hot too. So cooling the back with my old intel fan should make a difference, right?

Pic related is my old gpu, my current gpu is still inside my pc. Just took this for reference.
>>
File: IMG_20151109_094734.jpg (2 MB, 2368x3200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151109_094734.jpg
2 MB, 2368x3200
>>51253697
>>
>>51253697
>80C
You're fine.
>>
>>51253697
wouldn't that blow hot air across your cpu...?
>>
>>51253725
Cpu is water cooled.

>>51253719
Not at 78% fan speed.
>>
Try it to find out my guess is gona be like a 2% decrees in heat but could be wrong
>>
>>51253697
Air is a horrible heat conductor, moving the air behind the card will accomplish almost nothing at all.
>>
>>51253848
Would it be okay to secure it with hot glue?

The bean
Back of the gpu gets really hot, if this can give an overall 5+ degrees drop I'll be really happy.
It's a 0.6a Intel fan, i think those go up to 3000rpm.
>>
>>51253887
The back *

Bloody hell.
>>
>>51253886
Wouldn't a heatsink short circuit it though?
>>
>>51253916
Not saying you SHOULD install a heatsink on the back, only saying that the fan on the back is pointless for the endeavor of lowering temps.

If you want to lower temps, you need to get a beefier cooler.
>>
A fan blowing hair parallel to the card out of the case I think would be extremely useful if you SLI
>>
>>51253697
remove your heatsink, clean and repaste your gpu. buy liquid metal paste for best effect. that should make the biggest difference
>>
>>51253887
Yeah hot glue will be fine. You won't have to worry about it melting off because the fan should cool it down a good amount.
>>
>>51253965
Beefier cooler = spending $65+
Using old fan I have laying around = $0
>mfw it fucks up and kills my gpu
Priceless.

But seriously, blowing cool air at the back won't make a difference?
>>
>>51254037
Done that.
>>
>>51253697
like that thing is gonna run bf4
>>
I've got a spare intel cpu blowing over the back of the vrms (there are pins on the rear of the pcb) of my monster overclocked 290x to help keep temps inside a sane range. This fan shaves a good 10c off load temps when overclocked (at stock clocks it does virtually nothing as the vrms don't get hot enough).
>>
>>51254136
>personal experience
that's exactly the kind of answer i was looking for. Thanks anon.

It's nice to find a use for this stuff instead of just throwing them out.
>>
File: 290x monster overclock.gif (30 KB, 537x781) Image search: [Google]
290x monster overclock.gif
30 KB, 537x781
>>51254281

Do bear in mind my account isn't cooling the cpu core, just a specific part of the card (due to the insane voltage i'm putting through it) that AMD happens to have sensors for. See VRM1 in pic - without that fan it would be closing in on 90c.

Still that intel fan hooked into my psu runs pretty quiet at 12v and shifts a fair amount of air which makes it suitable for the job. Still it all depends on the gpu in question and what specific part is getting really hot.
>>
>>51254051
it will, just make sure it's *cool* air. i used to have this kind of ghetto ideas too, i needed to open case and put two fans - one blowing directly at gpu PCB, second one blowing cold air for 'pcb fan'.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.