[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
IT Careers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: ezgif-4278519149.gif (2 MB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
ezgif-4278519149.gif
2 MB, 400x400
It's another year as a wageslave and Christmas is coming, along with all the bastard and unpleasant customers that come along with it. I need to get away before I slit my wrists.

I have a 2.2 maths degree I got 4 years ago and experience only in retail, what IT careers are available to me that have decent pay progression?
What courses would help me to get into the field? How much time would it take?

Also how much of a hindrance would a lack of personality be?
>>
Get your Comptia A+ cert

get a shitty $10-$14 pc fixer job

then get a real cert in like networking (CCNA, Linux, Windows)

get a less shitty 14-19 job
>>
>>51251904
what the fuck is a 2.2 maths degree
>>
>>51251904
Get CompTIA/MS Exams done, or maybe CCNA
>>
Put your self under a bus thats what im gona do and I dont even care what job I get
>>
math is literally useless in IT
>>
File: 1401843816170.png (211 KB, 467x467) Image search: [Google]
1401843816170.png
211 KB, 467x467
there are several areas of computing to choose from

- graphic and photo manipulation (designing logos and graphics for clients)
software:
photoshop, camera etc

- 3d modelling & animation (modelling, rigging, keyframing, texturing, special effects)
software:
maya
after effects
photoshop

- Programming (software developing, gaming, artificial intelligence, etc)
Software:
java/c/ruby/python blah blah

- Website Design (using html code to design web pages)
software:
silverlight, flash, dreamweaver, notepad

- Server administration (setting up networks and servers for businesses, requires balanced knowledge in both software and hardware fields)
software:
powershell, linux, dunno what else

- computer repair (fixing peoples computer, creating custom rigs for clients, shipping new parts, contacting manufacturers, warranties..requires strong knowledge in hardware components)
software: apple, linux, windows
hardware: everything

- computer science and engineering (you deal with the 0's and 1's)
dunno what this is, make your own operating system or something or just make operating systems

- phat beats music maker (create your own sick tunes for people to jam too)
software:
flstudio

pick any of the above, that is basically all the main parts of computing
>>
>>51254424

forgot video editing and rendering:
software: premiere (professional), sony vegas (small time)
>>
>>51254424
what is the job market like for programming, website design, and system admin?
>>
>>51254490

all of them are high demand and stable jobs. if you pursue any of these you'll definitely get a job and you won't ever be out of work. I could imagine being bored being an issue though if it isn't what you're passionate about
>>
>>51254518
im decent at html/css (javascript is soooooo bad). i like system administration cause i do it alot on my own time. im learning c++ (and soon python) very slowly. so the future might be good
>>
>>51254577

hmm is might pay off to learn javascript ..according to some polls java scrip is highly popular actually nearly everything uses it
>>
>>51254648
thats what makes me sad. i block it on 90% of websites anyway. i will probably end up learning it but html and css together can already make powerful and dynamic websites
>>
>>51254424
>- Website Design (using html code to design web pages)
software:
silverlight, flash, dreamweaver, notepad

Web Design has many opportunities but these programs are a waste of time (aside from notepad). Flash is done. Silverlight can't be far behind. <--- at some point everyone will agree on some html based standard
Dreamweaver is fine, but honestly just learn html, css and javascript (+ a couple frameworks like jquery). PHP and MySQL are great addons, but that starts taking you down the web development road. Get really comfortable with Photoshop and maybe Illustrator as well.
>>
>>51254939
are people who can make websites in raw html/css/javascript even needed anymore? as a job do people just glue together framework with a wysiwyg editor?
>>
OP here:
>>51252688
Lower 2nd Class Pass, no idea what the american equivalent is.

>>51254252
I thought some maths would be relevant since people who did Computer Science had to do compulsory maths modules?

A lot of info here but I was hoping for insider info, like what are good starting IT jobs that give good experience/references, pay progression etc.

I mean, I'm at a fork here. On one hand I could try to go for a career in finance but with my shitty 2.2 in maths and poor social skills, I don't know if I'll get in.

On the other hand, I hear that the entry barrier to an IT career is lower provided I get certs. I have £7k from my wageslave job to spend on this. But I am concerned if the pay progression is in the same league as finance jobs.
>>
What do you mean no personality?
>>
>>51255490
As in no personality. Introverted, quiet, invisible, does the work and goes home, wants no trouble, doesn't turn up to the office party...should I continue?
>>
>>51255120

Depends on the job. If you are doing web design for a company then you definitely need the design side down and all of them will want to see html and css and then javascript will be a huge bonus / required for many and everything else just makes you look better. That's what they want to see on a resume at least.

If you are going to freelance just learn the ins and outs of wordpress or squarespace and charge people a fuck ton to implement it. Ultimately you will wind up needing to know css and html (at the very least) to customize whatever CMS you're on.
>>
>>51254703
>html and css together can already make powerful and dynamic websites
8/8 b8
>>
>lack of a personality
you'll fit in perfectly, don't worry.
>>
>>51255312
computer science is not being a code monkey, and 'working in IT' means a help desk ticket jockey.

IT is not programming other than powershell and bash shit which doesnt need math
>>
>>51254648
if you want do do any web programming at all you'll need to know javascript. even if you focus on the backend, enough people are working with shit like node to make a point of some sort.

>>51255603
that's a problem unless you're top fucking notch, and even then it can be a problem. I've known a few companies who have fired their best techs and developers because they're not terribly sociable or because they "snap" at people (particularly women...don't fucking get me started on that lot and their fucking white knights) from time to time. just look at how they're targeting Torvalds, for fuck's sake.
>>
>>51255490
a vegetable
>>
What do you guys know about learning SQL and getting a job in that field.
>>
>>51257879
>>51257891
>You don't need a personality
>Yes you do

OK...I gather you have to somewhat approachable?

I still haven't heard what the pay progression is like in this field.
>>
I was about to make a thread about a similar topic.
So, I'm in the middle of getting a rather useless (language interpretation) Degree. I have a decent job that gives me enough money to do whatever, and I decided that getting a CS Engineering degree would be a great idea, since it's the sort of degree on high demand in my country's job market. What's a set of things I should get familiar with/study again/get documented on before starting it?
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.