[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>cod: blops 3 >arkham knight is 16gb the minimum amount
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: IMG_1077-Copy.jpg (88 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1077-Copy.jpg
88 KB, 1024x768
>cod: blops 3
>arkham knight

is 16gb the minimum amount of ram you should have now?
>>
I have 12 and bo3 runs fine.
>>
>>51249231
Considering 8gb cost around $40 if you cant even afford that you wouldn't have the hardware to run those game in any decent settings anyways.
>>
muh gaming
>>
2GB is fine for office computers
4GB is fine for facebook machines and light media consumption
8GB is fine for 90% of gaming, though unoptimized console ports take up three times as much ram as they should nowadays
16GB is the next-gen ready safezone
>>
>>51249286
More like "if you can't afford the RAM, you probably can't afford the game".

inb4 pirates
>>
File: 1430008557504.jpg (148 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1430008557504.jpg
148 KB, 640x640
>>51249231

You need a lot of memory to work with large datasets in a very select programs and 16 is probably too little these days. 32-64 is probably the best bet.

For gaymen? I dunno, depends on how fast the game was rushed to market. Memory is pretty cheap (if you don't go crazy on gamer ram) so I think 16 should be a minimum.
>>
>>51249348
Isnt it kind of amazing how something that used to be used as a term for the lowest of the low has actually managed to up its requirements to above office work?

Do you think that's a testament to how efficient office programs are? Or how much more bloated the web is? Or both?
>>
>>51249646
i'd say it's neither.
Windows, which is present on 99% of office PCs, takes more and more RAM with each new version, as they add more features and such.
On the other hand, you can't even buy brand new computers with less than 2GB of ram. My local electronics store doesn't even carry laptops with less than 4GB - even on budget models. Not necesairly a bad thing.
>>
>>51249793
Since Vista every version of windows has either used less RAM or the same as the version before it.

MS Office on the other hand uses more and more each release.
>>
Minimum would be 4gb if companies knew what the fuck they're doing.
Ain't it funny how consoles get by,with only 8GB of shared memory?
Think about that, 8GB shared between the graphics and processing, whilst PC requires 4GB dedicated to the graphics and 8GB to the processing and cache.
>>
>>51250567
Integrated gpu uses 2. 6gb is plenty for games on console level graphics.

Console = medium settings 720p upscaled to 1080p
>>
>>51250567
It's actually 5-6 GB on consoles, because they reserve the rest for background stuff.
>>
At the risk of the neckbeards on /g/ calling me a manchild, let me say the majority of the time spent on my PC is for gaming.
I have 8 GB (DDR3 1866) and I can run all of the latest (worthwhile games) just fine. Though, it does help when the devs actually take the time to optimize their games like >>51249348 hinted at.

Granted, my next build is going to have 16, just for future proofing.
>>
File: j1Ivgndt_400x400.jpg (20 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
j1Ivgndt_400x400.jpg
20 KB, 400x400
tfw 16gb of ram since 2012, got 8 for free and another 8 for 30€.

I only play games like cs 1.6 and quake aswell.
>>
>>51250840
The only "worthwhile" games released in the past 3-4 years have been 2d games.
>>
>>51250840
>Granted, my next build is going to have 16, just for future proofing

Depends when your next build is. By that time it ram prices might fall even more and 2x8gb might be the norm. Future proofing will be 32gb.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.