[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any UKfags have any tips on writing a CS personal statement?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3
File: logo (1).png (5 KB, 213x70) Image search: [Google]
logo (1).png
5 KB, 213x70
Any UKfags have any tips on writing a CS personal statement?
>>
>>51247479
Personal statements don't mean shit famalam.
>>
Do it in Python
>>
I wrote about how I got into programming and computers, how my sixth form subjects were relevant to CS and some bullshit about communication skills, and past work experience.
>>
>>51247479
Best tip is to get the off of /g/ because you're underage.
>>
>>51247632
what uni u at senpai
>>
>>51247680
York
>>
OP goes to Bedfordshire University as a Muslim.
>>
Still need to write mine, whens the deadline OP?
>>
>>51247666

Not necessarily. My mate didn't apply to uni until he was 20 or something.
>>
>>51247479
reece? that you?
>>
>>51248004
January but don't leave it that late.

>applied to EE
>have BBC at AS after getting DDD the 1st year

just fuck my shit up
>>
>>51247511
They do in the UK dickead
>>
>>51248168
but good unis will look at your grades first

personal statement is used on borderline cases
>>
>>51248168
>They do in the UK
If you're going to Scunthorpe Polytechnic on three C's you fuckboi. I bet you believed your teachers when they told you GCSEs are the most important time of your life.
>>
>>51247479
just link any personal projects to relevant course.
>>
>>51248168

They really don't.

If you have the grades you have the grades.
>>
>>51248321
Why would they care about grades when they have 1000s of A* applicants for every course?
>>
>>51248395
>>51248485
>implying any of the UK's best universities care about grades in comparison to personal statement
I bet your course doesn't even interview or set entrance tests
>>
>>51248748
>wanting to apply to oxbridge or imperial

i already spend 50% of my time with autists on /g/

why make it 100%
>>
you must be 18 or over to visit 4chan faggot
also, just write about what you've done in the past that has something to do with CS
or just anything thats interesting
>>
File: 1344772836848.gif (3 MB, 255x191) Image search: [Google]
1344772836848.gif
3 MB, 255x191
>>51248791

>the uni experience meme

uni is fucking shit, especially when it's full of normies. go to wherever has the best fucking teachers.
dont end up like me.
>>
>>51248791
>wanting to apply
Nigga I graduated years ago

>>51248806
Also this, fucking everyone in this thread is 17.
>>
>>51248830
but how do you know what uni has the best teachers if you never went to it

if you're suggesting ratemyprof ratings, all of the CS professors i really enjoyed were 2.5 to 3.5 on ratemyprof.
>>
>>51248321
good unis get tons of application from students with only A's. That's why personal statement is important in this case.
>>
thestudentroom.co.uk use it nigga
>>
>>51248885
>good unis get tons of application from students with only A's.
Yet only 2.8% of students who did OCR/AQA Computing came out with an A*.

But sure, if your definition of 'good unis' is Oxford and Cambridge, then alright. Because Durham and York sure as shit aren't filling its classes with only-A* students.
>>
>>51248028
shutup blud
>>
>>51248395
>Scunthorpe Polytechnic
>needing grades
kek
>>
>>51249189
>taking computing a level
>not taking 3 real stem subjects

baka
>>
>>51249494
>real stem subjects
If you want to do a STEM subject you don't go to University for Computer Science.
>>
>>51249543
>Computer Science
>not doing maths, further maths and physics for that sound mathematical framework for cs

unless you applied for a dogshit uni
>>
>>51249592
>maths, further maths and physics

I bet you aren't even doing A-Levels.

Enjoy retaking year 12 because you thought you were uber smart in GCSE.
>>
File: card.png (171 KB, 455x276) Image search: [Google]
card.png
171 KB, 455x276
>>51249693
it's a shame you were blessed with shitty genetics anon
>>
>>51249768
is that a marble counter top?
>>
>>51250312
nah it's a carpet m8

we arn't that rich
>>
>>51249768
>uber smart
>can't talk to anyone, let alone grills

Let the autism flow through you anon
>>
> Going Uni

Pointless. Who is an employer going to hire?

> Someone with an apprenticeship with 1-2 years of experience using enterprise software on a daily basis, as well as actually having experience in work and dealing with people in a work environment
> Someone who spent 2 years getting pissed up every night, being told when and when not to have sex and studied theory on irrelevant shit and got a certificate which confirms that they pissed away 2 years of their life
>>
>>51247479
OP just relax and be honest. Just show them who you are and why you think this course is right for you and also why you believe they should choose you out of the hundreds of other applicants.

Your grades matter more of course but with a good statement they could let you in a course with ABB requirements even with something like BBC. Put some time and effort into it and remember you don;t have unlimited characters. And don't write shit like "I'm passionate or I love subject X because they see that a lot". Be unique and I wish you luck. Uni is awesome.
>>
>>51248395
>I bet you believed your teachers when they told you GCSEs are the most important time of your life.
Kek. I did at the time. Got 4 A-Cs instead of 5 that I needed for my A levels, they still let me do them.

Failed my A2s though.
>>
>>51248830
>uni is fucking shit, especially when it's full of normies.

this,
go to a school that at least has people who can do more than fizzbuzz and don't struggle with fucking pointers.
>>
>>51247479
You don't need to really worry about it much unless you are going for

>Oxbridge
>Imperial
>LSE
>UCL
>>
>>51247479
personal statements make fuck all difference unless you're doing medicine.
>>
>>51247479
Here's a tip: wait a year because you missed the Oxford/Cambridge deadline.

The rest of the world doesn't care as much about other UK universities, even if they're decent institutions. Unless you're going for Imperial, which comes close.
>>
>>51249494
>3 real stem subjects
>Not taking 4.

It's like you want to have admissions tutors silently judge you for being lazier than the other autists.
>>
I wrote about what programming I knew, a bit on how I grew up with computers and what past projects/past time work I did. Don't worry about the statement too much, unless you're going to Oxbridge.
>>
>>51248748

When I interviewed at Cambridge neither of the interviews read my statement. Your statement means nothing if you have the grades
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.