[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've used a number of text editors over the years: Crimson
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: ri_vim2.png (40 KB, 1096x728) Image search: [Google]
ri_vim2.png
40 KB, 1096x728
I've used a number of text editors over the years: Crimson Editor, Notepad++, Sublime. There are some classic ones that I can manage in, but don't prefer.

Is there any real advantage to going down the vim or the Emacs rabbit hole? Are the solutions offered therein truly that much more elegant than Sublime (my current main text editor)?
>>
>>51245717
How do I cure faggot induced cancer?
>>
Spacemacs masterrace.
>>
>>51245717
There is an advantage in vim in that it allows you to navigate files much faster and macros can allow you to do repetitive actions that would otherwise require you to do copy pasting and a lot of manual editing easier, but you can get fairly solid vim emulation in a lot of other text editors, including Sublime.

I've never used emacs but I hear it's supposed to be better in terms of plugins.
>>
Just stop worrying and use Kate like a normal person.
>>
I can't say I've used Sublime or Crimson, but in my personal experience:

Tweaked Emacs >>>> Tweaked Vim > Vanilla Vim > Vanilla Emacs > Vanilla Notepad++ > Notepad/Nano

In the end, it boils down to a matter of preference.
If you have time to waste, I recommend giving both Vim and Emacs a try, and choose for yourself.
>>
>>51245717
I use emacs for c/c++, as the extensions allow me to have great features (autocomplete, errors highlight, code guidelines, etc).
>>
>>51249971
This sounds about right from my experience.
>>
>>51247758
if only I could install kate (and gwenview) without pulling in all the horrible kde dependencies
>>
>>51250174
Yeah I know what you mean. That's part of the reason why I use KDE; I feel less dirty playing with shit if I'm already swimming in it.
>>
No. Vim and Emacs are meme editors that refuse to die simply because retards think they are epik hakkurs by continuing to use them. They were once relevant but their time has passed.
>>
Spaceman or vim depending on preference. Honestly I'd probably recommend spaceman to most people over vim. I use nvim.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.