[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think about SteamOS?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 2
File: steam-os-bkgd-970-80.jpg (66 KB, 970x545) Image search: [Google]
steam-os-bkgd-970-80.jpg
66 KB, 970x545
What do you think about SteamOS?
>>
i think you should fuck off back to /r/valvedrone you fucking faggot
>>
>>>/v/
>>
>>51238449
Debian with steam pre-installed that they're slapping on alienware shitboxes and trying to sell as a gaming rig.
>>
>>51238449
Fucking kill yourself
>>
>>51238449
the only thing it's good for is pushing more devs to make their games on Linux. Then, I can continue using whatever distro I'm using (not SteamOS) with dev support.
>>
no one will care until oculus brings VR to linux
i know that steamVR will be there, but you can't just have half of the platform's range on 1 os
>>
>>51238449
Install Gentoo.
>>
>>51238449
I don't actually get the point. it's just steam in linux. why wouldn't I play games on my iMac?
>>
>>51239881
They just needed an OS to put on their steam boxes
>>
>>51239938
and they could have just used windows, which already runs every game anyone ever wants to play.

but nope, valve only cares about forcing you to use steam, and using linux for games does literally nothing but limit what you can play.

so whats the point?
>>
Eh. Everybody kinda forgot about it. I sure hope it leads to AAA games released on Linux too.

For now I play on a fucking MBP so what does it matter. Linux on this thing would have more issues than Windows.
>>
>>51238449
I like it in the fact that its pushing Steam to have more linux games

But other than that itd be pretty shit
>>
>>51238459
I like guys but that's just mean :(
>>
It's proprietary right?

Shit.
>>
JUST KEK MY SHIT UP SENPAI
>>
>>51239864
oh yeah it will be real nice to use VR in the 5 good games on linux

lmao
>>
>>51239989
Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks the mouse movements on OSX is really weird. No matter what I set the settings to within steam, it still lags behind on my hackintosh.
>>
It can suck my big purple coch
>>
>>51240102
it is the built in acceleration. good luck removing it
>>
>>51239965
The point is Microsoft is botnet and Valve realized that.
>>
>>51240183
great meme kid

funny you say that when valve has been caught twice now collecting your DNS history. who knows what they havent been caught collecting

you are a tool
>>
>>51239668
Honestly, even though that's all true, these steamboxes are still better than the PS4 and XBone.
>>
>>51238449

Will be the majority used OS within 2 years
>>
File: 1434346589465.jpg (230 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
1434346589465.jpg
230 KB, 1280x853
>Steam OS
Is this a fuckin cereal or what?
>>
>>51239965
>valve only cares about forcing you to use steam
cracking and torrenting games doesn't work on Linux?
>>
>>51238449
It's basicly dead, valve only made it to compete with Windows store on win8. When win8 window store was shown to not be a real threat to steam, valve stopped putting in real effort in steam OS.
>>
>>51239965

>post on a technology board
>doesn't understand technology

Neat
>>
>>51239965
Steam is the ultimate DRM
>>
>>51240102
Can't say I've noticed any real issue so long as I'm using a mouse. The acceleration curve is perfect for the trackpad.

The issue with OSX and games is the shitty OpenGL implementation.
>>
>>51240268

There's no way around it. This is true. The sheer amount of content blows them both out of the water.

Which is why both are letting you play older games (xbox emulating and ps4 through network service). And even then it's no contest.
>>
>>51238449

If I was Gabe, I would release HL3 for free, but only compatible with Steambox.

Then sit back and jerk off to all the gamers' rage.
>>
>>51238449
gayming os for manchildren
>>>/v/
>>
>>51241918

Nigga you dumb
>>
>>51239965
They're aiming for the console market, and you can't tell a kid who previously got a PS4 for 300 bucks that he's gonna have to pay 80$ for the OS alone.
>>
>>51241861
>If I was someone rich and powerful I would run my company into the ground with an unmitigated PR desaster
Good thing you're a neet then.
>>
>>51241073
compared to?
>>
Dead at birth, just like steam machines. What the fuck were they thinking.
>>
It's great, I no longer feel the need to boot into Windows to play games. Or virtualize windows for games, for that matter.
>>
>>51239668
/thread
>>
>>51238449
>SteamOS

More like Malware+drmOS.
>>
>>51239965
>and they could have just used windows
and have to add on a licensing fee and release the systems with an os meant for a desktop or tablet.
>>
>>51240183
I agree, but Valve is also botnet.

If you want to do the right thing, buy DRM free games outside of Steam.
>>
>>51242563
Gaben was scared of losing their game distribution quasi-monopoly to whatever MS had to offer in Windows 10.
>>
>>51242898
Given the fact that Windows 10 is a rolling release, that concern is still there. Plus its just a bad idea in general to let a company whose primary income from games is a console to have control of the PC as a gaming platform.
>>
>>51239965
>so whats the point?
Forcing game devs and amd/nvidia to be platform agnostic.
This is very fucking important.
>>
>>51238449
Better windows is like SteamOS Premium
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.