[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Noticed my 2nd 280x wasn't recognized by my system the other
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: MxotMiyhCX8.jpg (93 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
MxotMiyhCX8.jpg
93 KB, 600x450
Noticed my 2nd 280x wasn't recognized by my system the other day. Opened my case, pulled out both cards, put the "bad" one in alone, confirmed it was "dead".

Put just the "good" card in...suddenly, it is "dead" as well. Meaning, fans spin up and computer appears to turn on. However, monitors continue to sleep and computer doesn't POST.

XFX claims it's probably the motherboard since "there is no way two cards would both fail at the same time".

Thinking about RMAing both anyway since they're both nearly two years old. Think the board is dead too, though? It still appears to function - there is different behavior when I remove all of the ram, for example - it'll spin up, pause, then immediately shut down. I've added one stick at a time/tried each on its own, same situation. Not opposed to replacing the motherboard, but thought I'd see what /g/ thinks.

MSI M67A-GD55
XFX 280x (x2)
Corsair 750w PSU
i7-2700k

Pic not really related.
>>
No motherboard will get to the boot screen without any ram installed.
What about the integrated GPU?
>>
cool blogpost bro
>>
Buy an iPhone
>>
Install gentoo
>>
File: gentoo.jpg (286 KB, 966x750) Image search: [Google]
gentoo.jpg
286 KB, 966x750
>>
Doesn't your cpu have integrated graphics? If it does, then the mobo should recognize that there are no gpus installed and switch to the igpu, it might just be true that your mobo is misbehaving.
>>
File: 13-130-573-09.jpg (27 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
13-130-573-09.jpg
27 KB, 640x480
>>51237794
>>51237960

No integrated gpu on this motherboard, otherwise that's the first thing that I would have tried.
>>
>>51239015
>p67
>poorfag detected
>>
>>51239032

I guess I figured at the time that if I was spending $700 on GPUs that I wouldn't need something integrated. Now that 1155 is old hat, it makes me want to just upgrade the motherboard for the hell of it.
>>
>>51239032
>>51239063

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293R

buy this instead
>>
>>51239082
Hm, that's pretty cheap. Might just scoop that up.
>>
Buy a mac
>>
>XFX
>>
>>51239780
XFX has the best warranty in the game, anon.
>>
>>51239179
Asrock is utter shit though
>>
File: onoff.jpg (52 KB, 595x335) Image search: [Google]
onoff.jpg
52 KB, 595x335
Update - I reset CMOS and got it to boot. Once it was in Windows, the computer was acting quite odd. Somehow, it was playing audio over DVI (which apparently is a thing?) and had an entire icon tray that wouldn't load properly. I also couldn't adjust audio. I was able to set internet time properly, then rebooted the computer.

It now won't boot, even after resetting CMOS again. Looks like the motherboard is the culprit. Did find that one of the fans on one of my 280x has a bearing failure that is just beginning, so I'll probably RMA it anyway.
>>
>>51240523
new motherboard time
>>
>>51240630

Yep, purchased. Slim fucking picking these days for socket 1155. Jesus.
>>
I've heard bad things about XFX's VRM and MOSFET cooling, that might have had something to do with it. I could be wrong, though, but I've usually stuck to MSI with cards
>>
>>51241033

I used to do Sapphire but started doing MSI recently. At the time, the XFX was the best reviewed unit, mostly because of the warranty.

I do have to RMA one of the cards anyway, as when I was doing all of this, I noticed that the bearings were failing on one of the fans on one of the GPUs (it is clicking and feels gummed up).
>>
>>51239015
>coax
isn't that video?
>>
>>51242301
No, that's yellow. Spidf can be optical or coaxial.
>>51240523
Yeah sound over dvi is a thing.
>>
>>51237685
This happened with an r9 290 I owned that I crossfired with another 290

I assumed it was my fault due to mining buttcoins with it alot earlier
>>
>>51237685

I can guarantee you that something's up with your PCI-E bus.
>>
>>51242301

Are you retarded? Would you say the same thing if you learned that most internet connections that are copper are coaxial cables?
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.