[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /g/ My parents are rich boomer nuts. They'll pay for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: rf.png (21 KB, 1152x648) Image search: [Google]
rf.png
21 KB, 1152x648
Hey /g/

My parents are rich boomer nuts. They'll pay for my college, but only if I go to a specific college because my aunt works there and she'd be "offended" if I didn't go there, apparently. That school is Florida Gulf Coast University.

I actually like the bullshit aspects of the school but am concerned about academics. I want to do software engineering or CS and they have a SE program. I'm sure it won't be too good or anything but since CS is pretty much all self-learning anyway if I do well by myself and do a bunch of extra projects/internships/practice and have knowledge will I be employable when I graduate even when coming from a subpar public school?

My understanding is that CS is based of merit. Will they take me seriously with this degree if I know my shit, or would I never get hired? You are the only ones I can trust, /g/. Thanks.
>>
another bump
>>
>Notable alumni:
>Don Carman: Retired Major League Baseball pitcher for the Philadelphia Phillies
>Casey Coleman: Professional baseball player[48]
>Courtney Jolly: Professional monster truck driver
>Sherwood Brown: Professional basketball player
>Derek Lamely: Professional golfer[49]
>Chris Sale: Professional baseball player[50]
Hmmmmmmmmmmm
>>
>>51236461
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
>>
>>51235314
Just get a full scholarship to CMU, Stanford, MIT, or any Ivy League.
>>
>>51238134
I'm a good student but that isn't really reasonable advice.
>>
>>51238419
I'm from Florida too anon and from what I can tell fgcu is not particularly good. Go to one of the smaller liberal arts schools ucf, uf, or fsu.
>>
>>51238461
>smaller liberal arts schools
>uf
>>
>>51238134
CMU?
>>
>>51238419
My professor went to FSU as an undergrad and he is doing pretty well along with his roommate (leader in fight against ISIS). Just do well and go get your Masters at a better university.
>>
>>51238419
The other option is if you are moderately attractive and manage to charge $100 to suck a dick, then you could suck 200 dicks per year to pay $20,000 in room and board at a public university. That's not really that bad, it's less than one dick per day and less than 800 over the course of your college career.
>>
>>51236461
i like how those names just sound totally made up
>>
>if I do well by myself and do a bunch of extra projects/internships/practice and have knowledge will I be employable when I graduate even when coming from a subpar public school?
Yes. In fact it's usually more important that you have a resume. What do you intend to do afterward?
>>
>>51238521
You make it sound so easy. Was it?
>>
>>51238562
Software engineering after undergrad

>>51238461
I want to but parents will cover entire tuition/dorm everything if I go to FGCU

>>51238521
Already doing this but I'm not attractive and can only charge 15 dollars max so this won't really cover more than my meal plan (which will be smaller than usual because I can live off mostly cum)
>>
>>51235314
Employers are usually far more interested in the experience you bring to the table than the name of the college you attended. Having done some hiring before in a different field, I get sick and tired of childish resumes that look more like report cards than a professional cv.

That said, I'm actually originally from that area of the state, and FGCU doesn't have a great reputation in CS. It's the tiny, regional, public school that only locals go to. It's not a bad school, but it hardly has the resources that public schools like USF, UCF, FSU, and UF have. That'll be even more of an issue if you decide you want to be involved in research or pursue graduate studies.

Really, if your parents are actually interested in you getting the best education for you, they shouldn't be interfering the way they are.
>>
Some employers will ask you why you went to this school - my parents told me to go there is not a good answer
>>
Im going to Valencia for CS, I assume since Valencia is a shit school for shit people, I may be able to stand out.
Anyways, I'm doing a major that transfers me to UCF after 2 years, is UCF viable for being successful in CS, assuming I'm at top 5%
>>
Having worked in the state university system, I can say that none of Florida's public schools are bad.

Except FAMU...
>>
>>51238668
This. Get some co-ops and internships and you'll be fine.
>>
>>51238599
Pooping is a lot easier now, so the whole thing was worth it.
>>
>>51238668
I love CS but have no interest in graduate studies/research, and I heavily doubt that I will.

Yeah, my parents are nutty. Very "keeping up with the joneses" types of people. They want me to go essentially because a family member works there and a neighbors daughter went there. They aren't really interested in the best education for me, they are interested in looking good to others.

>>51238681
I actually like most aspects of the school except for academics/possible reputation. It's a smaller public school in an old people town surrounded by nature and a two+ hour driving distance from my parents. It appeals to me.
>>
>>51238783
Then I would say that FGCU might make a functionally acceptable choice. Build a strong CV, find some internships, and you should be fine professionally.

However, if it were me, I'd have a serious talk with my parents about the issue and lay out my concerns. You seem to have some valid concerns about this school, and I think you deserve to have them heard out. I wouldn't want to be overly forward in suggesting how you deal with your family, but I honestly feel like not letting this go just yet could be beneficial.
>>
>>51238905
>"However, if it were me, I'd have a serious talk with my parents about the issue and lay out my concerns. You seem to have some valid concerns about this school, and I think you deserve to have them heard out. I wouldn't want to be overly forward in suggesting how you deal with your family, but I honestly feel like not letting this go just yet could be beneficial."

I completely agree with you; I've tried both calm and extreme arguments with them on dozens of occasions and it has led to nothing. They are very, very stubborn people and I will never be listened to. It's a damn shame. I don't want to let it go, but it is my only really option at this point if I want their money.
>>
>>51236461
Chris Sale is the only good thing that the White Sox have going for them
>>
>>51238958
Well, FGCU isn't a bad place. If in the future you're looking for more academic prestige, there's always a graduate degree, expensive as that can be. Don't give up, enjoy yourself, you'll be good.
>>
>>51238992
This is pretty much my mindset.

Hey, I'm not trying to work at Google or anything. Just get a decent job somewhere and do well.
>>
File: 5cf[1].jpg (56 KB, 600x587) Image search: [Google]
5cf[1].jpg
56 KB, 600x587
>>51235314
>FGCU
>USNews
>No Stem in top 5 degrees
>#80 in regional ranking
>Going into CS with a literal who university

tell your "keeping up with the jones" parents that its not the in-demand school for CS. if you go there, you will waste your money.
>>
>>51239068
*their money

I've told them that a billion times, but they are willing to pay for the whole fucking thing if I go there
>>
>>51238682
You rate yourself too highly for someone who can't figure out whether UCF is good for CS.
>>
>>51239110
Go somewhere else, its not like they wont pay for that. Im willing to bet that if you went to a WAY better school, they will pay. stubbornness is only bested by stronger stubbornness
>>
>>51239163
In most cases you'd be right but not with my parents.

My older brother once bought a fishtank (after they threatened him not to) and they kicked him out knowing he was homeless for like six months.
>>
>>51239195
Then take loans. worst case, you go to a really good school, and you pay the loans off in 1 year. best case, you prove to your parents as a good investment, and its paid for.

seriously, dont go to FGCU, it seems like a place where talent goes to die
>>
>>51239147
Its certainly in higher standards than mine and has a good volume of students, therefore, I think its viable for good CS studies, am I correct?
>>
>>51239195
Are you white?
>>
>>51239277
y-yes
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.