[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you do with all your old hard drives?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: hard drives.jpg (429 KB, 1728x3072) Image search: [Google]
hard drives.jpg
429 KB, 1728x3072
What do you do with all your old hard drives?
>>
>>51232974
Working or not working?
>>
>>51232974
Donate them to the NSA
>>
>>51232974
I melt them down usually.

Kinda just for fun, i could care less about the information on them.
>>
>>51232974
I bury them in my backyard.
>>
dead storage backups put in a fire safe
>>
>>51232992
what do you do with not working, and what do you do with working?
>>
>>51232974
I recycle them at best buy after drilling a whole in them
>>
>>51232974
Rare
Earth
>Wait for it
Magnets
>>
Storing bitcoins and litecoins.
>>
Make wind chimes with the platters
>>
>>51233018
I turn the non working into working clocks (Nojoke) and sell them.
And the working ones I just keep buying HP n54l servers and stuff them into my garages basement and run NAS and Webservers out of it.
>>
>>51233077
do you have any pictures of your hard drive clocks that you are willing to share?
>>
>>51232974
Thermite.
>>
>>51233266
I have a couple spare hdds, a bunch in my case for backups, i've given a few to friends building computers. The broken ones i normally drill and recycle, or take apart for funzies.
>>
>>51233077
>>51233397
opps stoned didnt mean to reply to you
>>
>>51232974
sell them away
I'm only using SSDs and LTO3/4 tape drives.

HDDs are the most unreliable storage devices ever.
>>
File: 226.jpg (42 KB, 500x514) Image search: [Google]
226.jpg
42 KB, 500x514
>>51233470
>LTO3/4 tape drives.

Just have enough parity and HDDs work just fine for long term storage.
>>
>>51233521
Why should I use HDDs?
If there is something I want to archive then I should store it on tape drives, not HDDs. LTO3 tapes are designed to retain data for 50 years. What about HDDs? 5 years if stored in perfect environment?
HDDs are the cheapest storage medium meant for plebs to store their stupid shit.
256GB SSD is enough for everything that doesn't require archiving.
>>
>>51233683
>Why should I use HDDs?

Because if you use LTO3/4 you fragment your data onto countless small shitty tape cartridges.

HDDs are also cheaper per TB if you factor in the cost of the tape drive, unless you use old deprecated LTO standards.

>If there is something I want to archive then I should store it on tape drives, not HDDs
>Buying into the tape meme

>LTO3 tapes are designed to retain data for 50 years.
In practice they retain data for ~10 years in OPTIMUM STORAGE CONDITIONS (Temp and moisture controlled rooms). I know, we've been using tape for decades where I work for critical long term storage.

>90% of HDDs if powered will last and retain data for far more than 5 years. With sufficient parity HDDs beats tape in every category. Tape only makes sense if you can afford to burn large sums of money of the newest LTO generation. Consumers can't.
>>
>>51233814
>shitty tape cartridges
>implying 1.6TB cartridges are small and shitty in any way
Kill yourself, cucK
>HDDs are also cheaper per TB
I've received around 20 LTO4 and 100 LTO3 brand new cartridges from my company since we changed the backup solution to a separate hdd-powered server + off-site backup. I also got couple of water/fire proof ammunition containers to store them.
>In practice
>optimum conditions
stop lying you little faggot. LTO3 standard was announced in 2005. I'm not even mentioning the medium built quality that was improved since then because you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>51233935
>implying 1.6TB cartridges are small and shitty in any way

You mean 800GB (762 MiB), which is thew actual capacity sans compression.

A 3TB HDD is 64 bucks.

>I also got couple of water/fire proof ammunition containers to store them.
Still need to store them at a constant non fluctuating low temp.

>stop lying you little faggot. LTO3 standard was announced in 2005.
The standard means shit, real world data is what matters. Store your tapes in a humid and warm environment and you'll get <1 year shelf life. The safe data retention time closely follows temp and moisture curves, fluctuations and/or less than optimum conditions have a big effect of the cartridges ability to retain data. But good luck trying to pull your data off your cartridges in 15 years, I hope you have parity and error correction faggot.
>>
>>51234116
762 GiB*

Also, actually I don't hope you have parity and error correction.
>>
File: f3_1[1].jpg (131 KB, 1024x575) Image search: [Google]
f3_1[1].jpg
131 KB, 1024x575
>>51232974
Buy HDD enclosures and use them for large file storage.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.