[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Post lessons you've learned from your tech job or advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3
Post lessons you've learned from your tech job or advice you'd give to someone starting out in the field.

I'll start.

>never, ever believe someone when they insist they're typing in the right username/password after it's failed for the third time
>>
>>51232570
>Never put your cat in your case.
>>
>>51232651
>mfw components are put into that computer
>mfw that computer gets #rekt
>>
Try turning it on and off again.
>>
>never upgrade your linux distro without backing up everything first
>>
>>51232570
Be very very strict with your clients. Be very clear in the quote/contract about the services you're going to deliver.

Every client has the potential to be the biggest cunt in the world.
>>
>>51232874
I think what you're referring to is "Power-cycling"
>>
>>51232896
**Every client is the biggest cunt in the world.

ftfy; even though its closer to 90%
>>
>Never tell anyone you know outside of work that you actually know about tech
>>
>>51232924
>Every client is the biggest cunt in the world.
this
>>
>>51232930
FUCKING THIS.

Even bringing up computers or joining in/starting conversations relating to computers to older people always ends with you fixing something, and you on their speed dial when shit hits the fan. DONT FUCKING DO IT.
>>
>>51232966
My parents go around telling their friends how I can fix every computer imaginable. They then proceed to bring them to me.

I've moved to another country last year and they're still driving for hours just to pass of a computer that needs fixing.

I don't like this.
>>
>>51232570

Never think that agile velocity points should be maintained or even inflated like a currency. It's a poisonous practice and also a sign that upper management is dictating the contents of your sprint.

Remember that intellectual throughput is measured in quality, not quantity.
>>
>>51232570
chmod -r 777 is allways a bad idea
if a file is missing just create it
>>
>>51232966
This happened to me when I was first starting out now I still get weekly phone calls
>>
Hardware:
>double-check the voltage switch if the PSU has one
>shake the case, you may have left a screw inside
>old computers are temperamental, if it isn't working, disassembling and assembling can make it work.
>>
Not everything can be solved by google: Document everything or even better make the cunts who work on something document it.

Nothing is more annoying then having to fix shitty finicky software/hardware when the only guy who knew how to do it has moved on/quit
>>
>>51233124
Could you explain why?
>>
File: 1312512549727.jpg (472 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
1312512549727.jpg
472 KB, 1632x1224
>>51232842
But kittens increase your FPS in crisis.
>>
End-users will lie to you. It doesn't matter what the question is and it might not even make sense for them to lie to you. It might even be beneficial for them not to lie to you. They will still lie to you. I've had people lie to me about what an error message says because they're on a corded phone and don't want to go back across the room to read it. So you learn to do things in a way that makes it very difficult for them to lie. Usually in the form of "Do X and tell me what happens". So to get them to actually restart their computer "Please restart your computer and read me what shows up on the screen as it reboots".
>>
Don't get into software engineering if you don't like to be around people, because communication skills might actually be more important than programming skills depending on the situation.
>>
>>51232898
no, beacuse you got to explain that it means turning it on and off

>>51232570
don't argue or try to prove you're right, customers, clients and such are using buzzwords and they have a just anotion of the meanings
>>
never ever use systemd
i get angry at work when I have to maintain servers and i even see that shit in the process list
>>
>If you'll procrastinate during work time, use it to learn something. A coworker of mine got his OCJP just studying during work.
>>
>>51233197
cause it outputs:
chmod: cannot access ‘777’: No such file or directory
>>
>>51233216
>cat literally standing on a pci card
I cringed. Cat is cute tho
>>
>>51233423
yeah no shit i see this every time.
also ssh and scp -p/-P
allways doing it wrong.
>>
Never offer to help anyone. Just focus all of your energy to deliver the best possible result for your own work.
>>
>>51232966

I just tell people that I charge $100 an hour minimum of my time. If it's less than an hour, then it's still $100.

Some people will take me up on it, but most of the time it steers people away.
>>
There is no such thing as 'user error', just poor design.
Anything you say can and will be used against you.
Document everything.
Beware of mission creep.
Never let other departments dictate IT policy or purchasing decisions.
Never let other departments purchase their own software.

>>51233254
>End-users will lie to you.
True this.
>>
>>51233700
>There is no such thing as 'user error', just poor design.

>"X will be PERMANENTLY DELETED. Are you sure?" >"Yes/NO"
>user clicks yes
>"Are you really sure?"
>YES

Seconds later: "hello, support, the computer ate my file, it wasn't my fault."

Yeah, there is no such thing.
>>
>>51233700

>There is no such thing as 'user error', just poor design.

When a person doesn't have enough sense to check to make sure that something is actually powered on or lacks basic training on how to operate hardware/software because they have "better things to do", then yeah, it's a user error.
>>
>>51233831
User should have never been given the privileges needed to delete files.

>>51233841
>"better things to do"
Not really 'error', more like 'rejection'.
>>
>>51233831
A well designed system would have a command to undelete a file after it has been deleted. Deleting should also write through latest version to the shadow.
>>
>>51233487
You never had little kitties I guess. They are light as fuck.
>>
>>51232570
there a some things i learn

1. AMD is shit
2. Norton is not an antivirus, it is cancer
3. Never buy anything made by Medion, its shit AND cancer
>>
>>51233893
>User should have never been given the privileges needed to delete files.
>>51233959
>A well designed system would have a command to undelete a file after it has been deleted. Deleting should also write through latest version to the shadow.

I agree with those points, but my example is still valid: Despite the clearest message about the consequences of an action, the user can choose the wrong option. And that choice is a user error. This is not poor design. The system's inability to recover from user errors is.
>>
>>51234277
Good point. I stand corrected.
>>
Never do trade floor desktop support.
>>
>>51232570
Most tech jobs require you to work more with people than computers.
>>
> If it has a plug, it's ITs job to fix it.
> Everyone assumes IT does nothing but sit around doing nothing all day.
> If the senior managers and MDs know nothing about computers, you're fucked.
>>
>>51233700
i've worked with self check-out machines for 5 years, no matter how much you simplify something some dumbass still wont get it
>>
>>51234493
How the fuck do you work at a self checkout machine for 5 years and not murder every fucking teenager who scans PlayStations as bannanas?
>>
>>51234129
It's more about the static that their fur will generate when moving around and less about the weight.
>>
>>51232966
My policy is this: If you are a friend and I know you have shit when it comes to money, I will do shit for free (They usually buy me lunch or help out whenever I need it).

If you are some random person but you are friends with whoever, I will charge but give a discount on services besides parts. If you are a random, I charge full price.

Honestly not a bad thing, I have made some decent money with this strategy when someone needs a virus cleanup or whatnot. There are certain people I will help for free, but not everyone gets a free ride.
>>
>>51232966
I always just charge them a little bit maybe like $50 or something. I just make clear that I won't be coming around providing free tech support.
>>
>>51232966
I told a neighbor and they offered me an internship.
>>
>>51234755
When was the last time you've actually heard of a mobo frying from a static charge?
>>
File: 1428019320209.jpg (40 KB, 604x537) Image search: [Google]
1428019320209.jpg
40 KB, 604x537
>>51232842
how exactly would it get rekt?
>>
>>51233047
Start charging.

I charge even my own family. When you're good at something, never do it for free, and make them understand that.
>>
>>51234359
Unfortunately.

>>51235901
Don't be such a kike.
>>
>>51235901
>I charge even my own family
Define, do you mean even your father?
>>
>>51235901
Fucking jew
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.