[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I really need to build a new computer so I can actually play
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 1
I really need to build a new computer so I can actually play my steam games, but my life is currently (always) shit and I don't have the motivation to get started. Where should I begin to look for parts? Should I just plow through NewEgg and just pick components or should I go through someone who specializes in building computers and customize it? I want a small tower that will fit a motherboard of not reduced power that can attach to a CRT monitor. I REFUSE to use those fuckugly LCD displays. I also want a video card that is QUIET. I REALLY wish I could find a good one that had no moving parts at all or a motherboard with powerful enough graphics rendering that I don't even need a separate graphics card.
>>
pls respond
>>
Give me your budget and I will make a build for you but you do have strange requests.
>>
>>51231025
Lel yeah I realize. My budge is basically $1k. But I expect to spend MUCH less than that. I'll never be playing shitty FPS military clones or MMOs, so I don't need some shit that renders a fucking real-time VR simulation of an entire planet's surface. The most impressive thing I'd ever play would be like StarCraft II or Magic Duels or something. Also, I want Windows 7, because everything later is ass.
>>
>>51230664
>>51231025
http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=as_li_qf_sp_sr_il_tl?tag=linustechtips-20&ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&index=aps&keywords=Zotac+ZBOX+MAGNUS+EN970&=

done.
If you're not going to be playing any super high graphics games and want it to mount to the back of a crt and also be quiet. these box PC things are for you man. other companies make them too.
>>
What the fuck is wrong with LCD's?
>>
>>51231174
meant to quote >>51231101
and not the other anon.
>>
>>51231101

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cqCG8d

Well uh, I made this. Be aware, that you are paying a high premium for the silent parts, the only moving part in the PC are the fans, which you can replace with Noctua Redux fans, which are basically inaudiable. I mean suit yourself man, but your requests and the CTR monitor preference...
>>
>>51231205
Stupid people lack visual perception. LCD a shit. Most people are simply so sloppy about perceiving their environment you could slop moving blurs of dark and light on a screen and at least 50% of people would say it was good enough. Polarized light is a fucking retarded technology for a visual display. It looks like shit from most angles and the colors are awful.
>>
>>51231300

Please educate yourself, LCD is almost dead, LED is the new thing and the more expensive IPS panels have amazing color. Also here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883218041
>>
>>51231395
Please educate yourself. "LED" is nothing but LCD backlit with LED lighting. It's still fucking LCD garbage. I WISH they were genuinely LED. Then they wouldn't suck ass.

And I don't know why everyone keeps recommending EXTREMELY overpriced mini-pcs. I was immediately warned away from them for any sort of gaming machine, and I'm certainly not risking spending just as much for a shitty mini-pc as I would an actual computer. Their only draw is low price, and none of these are a reasonable price.
>>
>>51231704

Son, have you ever seen a $350+ IPS screen? and we are reccomending mini PCs since you described you want something like that, if not you have a zero decible build link a few posts above.
>>
>>51231821
I'm pretty sure I've been to A STORE before, faggot. Your LCD technology is garbage. Get over it and evolve as a species. Holy shit how are people still using this trash?
>>
>>51231241
So what is the actual risk of overheating in a build like this?
>>
OP comes here for help with a build, acts like a dick to anyone that expresses their opinion. Please, just go.
>>
>>51232135
This is what i was thinking
>>
>>51231241
>http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cqCG8d
That's indeed a really good build
>>
>>51231704
people say to stay away from them for gayming because they mean FPS or MMORPG gaming. not the shit you're doing. use that brain and those fingers a bit and do some research.
>>
>>51232135
Eat shit, cuntbreath.

>>51232379
If I felt like doing research, why would I be here? I'm tired.
>>
>>51232422
then take our advice and just get a mini PC. You're work load is about as much as working on 3 excel sheets at once.
>>
>>51231988
none

>>51231241
if he's got an extra 300 bucks go with a 980 ti
>>
>>51232535
>You're work load is about as much as working on 3 excel sheets at once.
Lel. And yeah, no. Not at that price. Exactly what is the benefit of a mini-pc at full PC price other than size, which isn't that big a deal anyway?
>>
>>51231988

Little to none with a case that has a bit of airflow. The CPU has 35W, the same as the one I have in my laptop and this cooler is made for 95W. The GPU is the strongest that comes with a passive cooler preinstalled. The inly thing I am not sure about is the PSU, but beeing Seasonic and 80+ platinum I don't think it will be a problem.

>>51232581
What are you on man? The 980Ti is mostly loud, power hungry and costs way more than 300. It's also insane to put it along with a 35W i5.
>>
>>51232613
see >>51230664
>that can attach to a CRT monitor
unless the OP was talking about just using a CRT which he could do with adapters and any card.

OP sucks at explaining exactly what he wants.
>>
>>51232619
It's not that loud, and if it's a big deal make a custom fan curve and take some voltage out of the card.

Or just got with a 970

isn't the 750ti loud too?
>>
>>51232613

I still have no idea what eyactly you need it for and I don't like you since you are beeing a cunt, but I do like building PCs so I will make another one for you that is way cheaper and will probably get shit that you want done, wait a bit.
>>
>>51232686

the one in the build has a passive cooler, which means it is exactly 0 loud, also he does not need anything more than a 730 now that he told us what he does.
>>
>>51232728
okay i'm sorry
>>
>>51232644
Yeah, I meant just like regular VGA. I know I didn't explain a few things too well. I'm super tired and depressed.

>>51232700
Well I want room to grow, just in case. I mean, yeah I don't expect to require that much graphics power initially, but I don't want to be stuck in a situation where I need it later for something either and have to do something drastic and have to order new parts on the fly or something.

>I don't like you
That makes me happy. I don't like people and I don't want them to like me. Stick to the topic at hand.

>but I do like building PCs so I will make another one for you that is way cheaper and will probably get shit that you want done, wait a bit.
Alright cool.
>>
VGA looks like shit.
>>
>>51232784
ok, because i'm nice I'll see if I can't build you something cheap. still going off you not really doing anything other than some old games and work stuff yeah?
what size case are you ok with? do you want a dedicated graphics card or just something like an APU?
>>
>>51232816
Looks better than your LCD abominations. Even the expensive ones. And it doesn't matter what angle I view it at.
>>
>>51232784
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bHN3xr
that will last you years.
>>
>>51232818
No, not old games. Just newer games that aren't terribly graphics intensive. I could probably do with a new sound system too now that I think about it. I'm okay with just about any size case, I would just prefer it to be smaller rather than larger, but that's not crucial.

>do you want a dedicated graphics card or just something like an APU?
Can't decide. I would prefer to REALLY NOT have a separate graphics card, but I might need one to achieve results with newer software I can't predict whether I'll want or not. I don't want to be stranded. Could an APU do as well as a dedicated graphics card? I mean if they could I suspect nobody would buy devoted cards.
>>
>>51232747

No need to be sorry, a few months ago I wold have thought the same.

>>51232784
>I don't like people and I don't want them to like me
That's a lie, you want to be special but let's not get into that.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vQVJLk
This build has no graphics card, howevver the CPU has Intel 530 graphics, that are strong enough even for GTA V at 720p. The cooler is silent, only the case and power supply (Which is a very basic, but a really realiable one) have fans so it should be quitet. You can put in a GPU later on, becose the PSU has a 6-pin power connector.

>>51232952
Those two unhyperthreaded cores won't be so good so long, also I think he needs way less then that.
>>
>>51232982
for non intensive graphics an APU is great. Anything above that it's lacking. and it doesn't pair well with GPU's. if you want something cheap and for the now and not caring about the future I'd say go APU. If you want something that you can upgrade go with something like >>51232952 with a cheaper GPU. it's a little too much for what you want.
>>51232994
also a good build with room for upgrading.
>>
>>51232982

No, at least for the foreseeable future they will not. But they do sve you a ton of money, for the cost of a lot of performance. I can try making an APU build for dirt cheap if you want.
>>
Why are you being such a dick when asking for help?
>>
>>51231241
>>51232952
>>51232952
Oh neat. I didn't even notice you went with SS. That's what I would have picked, but I'm running at about 10% mental strength right now.

>>51232994
>That's a lie, you want to be special but let's not get into that.
I don't want to be special. I AM different enough without wanting to be and all it causes is strife. That's why I'm an angry hermit.

I have no idea how many people I'm responding to. I should take up drinking. A lot. Thanks for the ideas.

>it's a little too much for what you want.
No such thing. I'd rather have room to grow.

>>51233070
Because I hate people and I don't take shit. Also, I'm madder than usual today.
>>
>>51233088
Get over yourself bro
>>
>>51233121
Go fuck yourself.
>>
OP your a fucking dick.
>>
>>51233088
lol go fuk urself faggit

nice dubs btw
>>
>>51233165
>OP, you're a fucking dick.
FTFY Learn some basic English.

>>51233179
Probably will later. Then probably take a nap and wake up angry.
>>
>>51233192
*your
>>
>>51233088
Well okay then >http://pcpartpicker.com/p/FYHwBm.
It has everything that will last for years to come and to grow you can put in a GPU or more ram, I did however chose the motherboard becose it has a VGA port, which you will not need on a dedicated GPU, so looking at other mobos might be a good idea, also a decent cooler for it if the stock is too loud for you but the stock one should be good enough.

>>51233138
Please ask /b/ for advice if you want to be a dick to everyone trying to help.
>>
>>51233192
y dont u put a cock up you're anus while u do it homolord
>>
>>51233260
>Please ask /b/ for advice if you want to be a dick to everyone trying to help.
Get over yourself bro.
>>
if you want quiet, don't get the GTX970. i don't know, maybe its just mine but sometimes it can produce coil while so loud it gives me a headache (that happened only a few times though), and it's generally loud under pressure.
>>
>>51233353

I have the 970 Gigabyte gaming and it does not have coil wine, you got a bad card bruh.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3xc2dC
Go with this if budget is your concern, only thing lacking is the SSD since it has only 250GB but I don't think you need more.
>>
>>51233353
>while
>>51233553
>wine
kek 0/2
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.