[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I know you guys get this a lot, but I'm looking to build
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1
File: 1436193826141.jpg (64 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1436193826141.jpg
64 KB, 500x500
I know you guys get this a lot, but I'm looking to build a $1,000 gaming PC. The main problem I'm having is that everyone's opinion is different on what is considered the best for the money. (Pic not related)
>>
So? You think you'll get an unanimous response here?
>>
>>51229670
It's worth a shot I suppose.
>>
>>51229647
Here you go fag.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bzx47P
>>
>>51229834
not bad

>tfw your gpu is more than half of the cost

lel

it'll fucking cruise though
>>
>>51229834
It's like a Civic with a V12 stuffed in, perfect
>>
>>51229882
This
>>
>>51229863
>>51229882
>>51229899
So it's a good build?
>>
>>51229985
You asked for a $1000 gaymen build, I gave you one. It could be quite a bit better if you're willing to go over budget.
>>
>>51229985
Maybe. its super unbalanced. Hilarious, but unbalanced. You'd might end up being bottlenecked by the comparatively poor cpu
>>
>>51230013
By how much?
>>
Here's alright for $800. I like the small cases but that's my preference. You can OC this too but it might run hot.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cJWNMp
>>
>>51230042
About $300.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XPT6wP
>>
>>51230029
>comparatively poor
Yet it's not really. How many people who have no knowledge or ability to overclock are shoving K processors into their builds because someone on a forum told them?
My brother-in-law's a SAP programmer and he didn't even know to apply the XMP profile for his ricer RAM.
An overclocked 4690k would be faster, but if he wasn't going to overclock, that processor is a comparatively great processor (within a couple %) that saves him $60.
>>
>>51230146
Ah, that's completely doable.
>>
>>51229834
>Intel nvidia

Kik
>>
>>51229834
bottlenecking up the asshole
fuck that
>>
>>51230146
Forget the HDD, just use an external drive for media storage... Save you the money (since op probably already has one)
>>
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cRtP4D
>>
>>51230146
I don't think there would be much difference between this and the other one you posted.

ditch the hdd and swap for ssd
>>
>>51230295
Missed the overclockable processor on your second build.
>>
>>51230213
What can you do with 8GB of vram that you can't do with 4 on something like the R9?

I know I'm entering meme territory here.
>>
>>51230352
still the 4460 wouldn't be too much of a bottleneck, if there even is one.
>>
>>51230368
Mod the shit out of Skyrim, and play video games at higher resolutions.
>>
how to build gayman pc

budget of x dollars

spend half of that budget on a badass gpu

spend almost half on a badass cpu

cheap out on everything else. cases are overrated desu my senpai.
>>
Hey guys, sorry to hijack this thread, but I figured it's better to ask here than start a new thread.

I am looking to build a new computer, and I need some guidance about parts.

I absolutely MUST have great performance for virtual machines, as I will most likely be doing some virtualization and running 3+ VMs in parallel, so I was considering some kind of Intel Xeon, considering those are built for server applications. Would I be better off with an i7, or maybe one of AMD's offerings?

I am also interested in doing moderate-heavy gaming through PCI passthrough in one of my VM's, so I will be needing at least 2 graphics cards, because IIRC Xeon boards usually don't come with integrated graphics. Should I go with Nvidia on both, or are AMD cards more virtualizaton-friendly?

Also, what should I do about storage? I'm leaning towards hard drives instead of SSD's, because I want more storage for cheaper and am considering setting up a RAID 6 array.

Also, I understand that these requirements are pretty demanding, so I know that any kind of build will be really expensive, so I'm not debating price too much. Would $2500 - $3000 be reasonably enough for this kind of build?

If any of you guys could spare the time, could you post some example builds that would fit this criteria? Thanks!
>>
>>51231914
Asrock x99 extreme 4 200
2 980 ti's 1200
i7 5930 (for the 40 pcie lanes) 500
1 SSD for OS 80 or 40 depending on size you can also get a m.2 for it too same price
w/e case 150
your hdds 200
h110i 100
8x4gb 200

Total 2630
>>
>>51232024
Oh psu for 150 too

850w
>>
>>51231914

>looking to spend a few grand
>cheaping out and not getting at least one SSD

come on man, budget in at least a nice 960 gig or TB whatever flavor SSD, you'll be glad you did. i've got three of them now and can't wait to get a few 2TB models when they get cheaper and put these spinners into the cardboard box of old computer parts.

>>51232024

not bad.
>>
>>51232024
Sounds great, thanks for the advice

>>51232059
I suppose I can go for a SSD, I'll think about it
>>
>>51232157
You could also go with the 5820 - 200 dollars cheaper if you only plan on using 2 graphic cards

with the 5930 you can go up to 4 with no sweat, but the mobo only has 3 pcie 3.0 slots. so you may have to look into that if you're going to go beyond 3 graphics cards.
>>
>>51232265
I took your idea and tried to come up with a PCPartpicker plan:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xPsqvK

How bad is this?
If I decide to go over budget a little bit (let's say up to $3500), is there anything I can swap out for a really huge performance boost?
>>
>>51232947
yes you could grab 2 970s or 390s instead of the 960s

OR

you could also get the one up 8 core 5960 instead of the 5930

I had no idea you wanted that much storage, you might be better off buying some on e-bay in a lot package deal thing. Those don't need to be top of the line.

m.2 ssds are fucking retardedly fast too dude 80 bucks for a 250gb
>>
>>51233125
Another thing

the corsair 750's are big enough for everything you want and have tons of room for hard drives

they come with detachable bays for the drives and they can hold up to 4 each.

that's 150 dollars. Pretty good cooling options and if you remove one of the bays you can toss another 120mm fan in there.

I don't have any experience with the other models from corsair but the 900 is bigger i believe.

I feel like I got to live my dream through you, thank you anon! I hope you have a great life with your new computer!
>>
>>51233125
I like the 5960 idea, I might go with that.

Yeah, I most likely will need a lot of storage. I'll take a look on ebay, but I've never bought computer parts from there before. Are ebay hard drives reliable enough for heavy read/write usage?

I've been out of the SSD loop for a while now, I didn't even know that these M.2 things even existed. Looking up some youtube videos on the topic, and it seems really, really cool. 80 bucks for those kind of speeds isn't bad at all, I'll look into getting one.
>>
>>51233195
I'll look into the 750, thanks for all the help!
>>
>>51233288
yup

you have a m.2 pci slot on your mobo

it's not an e-bay brand per say, it's stores selling and you could find a good price if you buy in a bundle.

I love e-bay so much, they have your back as well as paypal so you're pretty solid if you get nigged by someone. Watch their star count or whatever that is, it's very safe. I've always had good customer service off their stores and it's big chains like newegg and the like selling stuff on e-bay.
>>
>>51229647

>SSD
>whatever CPU you want that's reasonably modern
>best GPU you can afford

What the fuck are you asking questions for here? It's 2015. Building a PC is literally child's play.

EVERYTHING you buy will be a worthless piece of shit in a couple of years. EVERYTHING you buy is outclassed as soon as the next iteration comes out. Splitting hairs is pointless, and it's for dipshit kids who have unlimited time to bicker about one or two FPS.

Just build a fucking PC and be done with it.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.