[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Debian the best Linux distro /g/? >Fast >Stable
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 5
File: 1446880884955.gif (3 MB, 730x410) Image search: [Google]
1446880884955.gif
3 MB, 730x410
Why is Debian the best Linux distro /g/?

>Fast
>Stable
>Non-autistic community
>As neurotypical as Linux can get
>No other distro has the volume of packages Debian has
>Most successful distros are built on Debian (Ubuntu, Mint, etc)

Why aren't you using Debian yet /g/?
>>
>>51228332
b-b-but muh bleeding edge, anon
>>
>>51228354
The only reason why I'm on Arch.
>>
>>51228354
>Implying you can't get bleeding edge with Doobian
>>
>years old packages
>retarded package maintainers
>godawful website
>nonexistent security patches
>>
>>51228497
>Debian
>Not secure

Stopped reading there. Go back to your Archtism
>>
>>51228518
>I don't know what I am talking about but I will continue to sound authoritative and spout memes left and right
Just kill yourself, you dumb nigger.
>>
>>51228532
>Really sensitive about people making fun of his distro

Can I borrow your autism?
>>
>>51228497
>years old packages
use testing or if you come from arch and are used to your system breaking, use unstable

>retarded package maintainers
what does this even mean?

>godawful website
irrelevant

>nonexistent security patches
false
>>
>>51228332
But i am using it anon

The question is which desktop environment is most suitable on Debian?
>>
After distrohopping i've installed debian stable yesterday. I'm in love
>>
>>51228576
I like XFCE, but I typically use Openbox on Debian.
>>
>>51228332
It's fedora

>fast
>stable
>up to date
>best package manager (rpm with dnf)
>a lot of effort put into securing it
>most polished distro out there
>absolutely goat packaging guidelines that even opensuse adopted
>everything kept as close to the upstream as possible, very little distro specific bugs
>early adopter, will be the first distro to utilise wayland as default display server
>financial and developer backing of redhat
>strict regarding non-free software but without "le ur wifi drivers are harmful therefore fuck off" like debian
>>
>>51228558
>use testing or if you come from arch and are used to your system breaking, use unstable
or just use Fedora and have recent packages and stability
>>
>>51228558
>use testing
Have you used testing ?
>>
>>51228549
I wish you could borrow my brain for a moment, just so you could realise how pointless your existence is. Literally waste of energy.

>>51228558
Testing packages are literally years old, idiot. Unstable is not even an option because it's more broken than Arch.

The package maintaining is hell because all the power is given to a handful of individual who are quite often not up to the task. Their whole job should be just accepting bug patches and reports.

The website is one of the most relevant thing nowadays. This is why Arch became so popular to begin with. Dreadful site just dooms the whole distro to oblivion.

Security patches in Debian are literally months or even years late.
>>
>>51228332
>Fast
As fast as any distro.
>Stable
As stable as any distro with outdated packages.
>Non-autistic community
Not sure about that.
Nice.
99% of those are useless. Meanwhile it's lacking stuff that you actually need, usually newly developed software that actually matters. Shame that you can't PPA it, that would be pretty usefull.
>Most successful distros are built on Debian (Ubuntu, Mint, etc)
Who cares tho. Ubuntu is pretty much a distro on its own at this point.
>Why aren't you using Debian yet /g/?
Because I stopped being a linux newfag. You will grow up out of debian at some point too. When you realize that you have to chose between outdated crap (stable) crap no one maintains (testing) and unstable crap (unstable)
>>
I don't feel like burning 4 dvds today.
>>
>>51228607
I'm using it right now.

>>51228605
That's also possible.
>>
>>51228332
>Stable, but out-of-date

Fixed that for you :^)
>>
>>51228592
>Being Redhat's little guinea pig
>>
>>51228613
>Not using Netinst from a USB drive
>>
>>51228610
>>51228612
I want the Archfags to leave
>>
>>51228332
QUICK SOMONE POST THE LARDASS DEV FROM DEBIAN CON
>>
>>51228610
>Testing packages are literally years old, idiot. Unstable is not even an option because it's more broken than Arch.
If you want bleeding edge use Arch but it's not for everyone. I didn't say testing was bleeding edge.

>The package maintaining is hell because all the power is given to a handful of individual who are quite often not up to the task. Their whole job should be just accepting bug patches and reports.
Not really sure what you mean but ok. Examples?

>The website is one of the most relevant thing nowadays. This is why Arch became so popular to begin with. Dreadful site just dooms the whole distro to oblivion.
Arch is popular because it's a good distro and appeals to hobbyists not because of the website, even though it has the best wiki.

>Security patches in Debian are literally months or even years late.
False. Examples please.
>>
>>51228667
>pls spoonfeed me
Just fucking kill yourself, idiot.
>but it's not for everyone
Arch is literally for everybody. Your outdated server OS is not.
>Not really sure what you mean but ok. Examples?
Package maintainers do whatever the fuck they want. Not everybody, of course, but many do. They will argue patches are not relevant/needed, they will not update their packages, etc. Literally cancer. That's why we need community-driven package system.
>best wiki
And best package database. And best forums. And pretty much the best community.
>False
Are you retarded? You literally cannot get security updates on stable. The ONLY way to update is to add the testing repos to your apt-get or whatever the mechanic is. Examples? Fucking shellshock, idiot.
>>
>>51228748
>Being this autistic

and Archfags wonder why they're repeatedly picked on for being on the spectrum.
>>
>>51228332
>>No other distro has the volume of packages Debian has
Except for Arch (including AUR), which not only has more packages than Debian, but has them all up to date.
>>
>>51228748
>Genuinely wanting to use an OS that is a pain in the dick to get fully set up and constantly breaks when updating
Don't hate yourself, anon. Deep down you're still a beautiful human <3
>>
>>51228332
Ubuntu is superior to all Linux distros in every way because it has sensible developers working on it and is maintained by a professional company.

Other distros are a joke especially Fedora which ironically is maintained by an even bigger company but is trash tier.
>>
>>51228788
>Dubs confirm
I mean I understand the "just werks :^)" meme, but I like and use a lot of what Ubuntu brings to the table,
>>
>>51228824
It is polished and getting better with each version. 15.10 can shit on Windows 10 and other OS.
>>
Daily reminder that Gabe Newell uses Debian.
>>
>>51228332
>distro infected with systemd
>good distro
choose one
>>
>>51228788
>it has sensible developers working on it and is maintained by a professional company
So like Fedora then, but Fedora doesn't have amazon botnet.
>>
every anime ever it always loooks like their fucking lips are saying something like

"MA MA" or like quickly yawing

godamn neckbeards
>>
>>51228630
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
File: 144938102833.gif (1 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
144938102833.gif
1 MB, 500x281
>>51228952
Tomoko a cute, please do not bully her.
>>
>>51228332
>slow
>unstable as fuck
>autistic (SJW XXXTREME) community
>neurotic (by definition)
>fuckall packages compared to arch, gentoo or slackware
>systemd cancer
>redhat-owned
Is there a worse distro than debian out there?
Install Gentoo.
>>
File: tears.gif (457 KB, 192x145) Image search: [Google]
tears.gif
457 KB, 192x145
>>51228781
>AUR
>>
>>51228788
Ubuntu has a botnet and is switching to rootkitd.
Gentoo has no botnet and will not surrender to rootkitd's invasion.
Ubuntu: 0. Gentoo: 1.
>>
>>51228592
>3+ backdoors included by default
>a lot of effort put into securing it
I mean, the rest was still pretty obvious b8, but that's too weak, son.
>>
>>51228576
Its obviously MATE, m8
>>
>>51228991
>that gif

"MA? MA MA MA MA MA"

She has a real thing about her mom, incest much?
>>
>>51228610
>Testing packages are literally years old, idiot. Unstable is not even an option because it's more broken than Arch.
This. Debianfags have their heads so far up their ass it's amazing. I literally have no idea how they can use their distro and still refuse to acknowledge these. It's just like the openbsd tards: if you can't admit your shit is broken, it will never get good. The only people you're fucking over by being this deluded is yourself.
>>
>>51229082
>not trinity
Pff!
>>
>>51228781
>but has them all up to date
What the fuck are you smoking ?
>>
>>51228607
I use testing for my work desktop and stable for my home server. The only time it broke was when I updated from stable to testing (my fault but easily fixed) and when I updated the nvidia drivers (also my fault for using proprietary software anyway).
>>
>>51229121
I r8 your b8 an 8/8, gr8 b8 m8.
>>
File: 1421029763410.jpg (204 KB, 500x450) Image search: [Google]
1421029763410.jpg
204 KB, 500x450
>Fast
Every distribution is fast if the shit is cleaned out. Even Ybyhty.

>Stable
Same as above.

>Non-autistic community
>switching to systemd

Same as above, again.

>all of the packages are deprecated; those are not deprecated were not updated for years

>Most successful distros are built on Debian (Ubunti, Mint, etc)
>implying millions of flies can't be wrong

Did not see any good proof of Debian's goodness. As always. Go away debiantard. I will use Gentoo when I'm not on Windows.
>>
>>51229101
You just don't understand Japanese friendo
>>
>>51228518
You actually missed just one word: "patches".
>>
>>51228610

I never tried arch but my debian sid system never broke on my hands, I just had to regularly to the updates.
>>
>>51229161
sid is unstable, not testing.
>debfags in charge of knowing what they're running
>>
>>51229006
>>slow
not sure how any gnu/linux distro could be "faster" than another, anon. unless you're talking about the inclusion of systemd, which will undoubtedly make bootup faster, not slower.

do you even know how a gnu/linux system works, anon?

(and if you give me some ricer bullshit about your CFLAGS, i will personally come to your trailer park and rip off your genitals)
>>unstable as fuck
wait a minute... is this bait?
>>autistic (SJW XXXTREME) community
>>neurotic (by definition)
muh sjw boogeymen? check
projection? check

dunno anon, this isn't looking good.
>>fuckall packages compared to arch, gentoo or slackware
>fuckall

$ sudo apt-cache dump | grep ^Package\: | wc -l

i'm pretty certain now
>>systemd cancer
>>redhat-owned
with tinfoil FUD like this...
>Is there a worse distro than debian out there?
>Install Gentoo.
yep, it's bait.
>>
>even Debian devs themselves don't give a fuck about testing
>some patches even go straight to stable
>retards still recommend it as if it's the middle ground
Good thread.
>>
>>51229137
>Gentoo
>Spending hours compiling

You have fun with that, 'spergula.
>>
>>51228332
>mfw I wake up and I realize its Saturday or Sunday or Monday or Wednesday
>>
>>51229169
I misquoted, sorry I wanted to only talk about the latter part of my quote, I still think my message is understable.
I don't even use debian anymore, gentoo is by far my favorite distro at this point.
>>
>>51229210
Yes I do!

Actually I just deploy it from stage3 one time per computer and compile it then just update every day. Even with -j`nproc` I do not issue any lags or freezes and continue browsing internets while my shit updates itself.

But now I'm on Windows because of nogames.
>>
>>51228610
idiot
>>
>>51228748
idiot
>>
>>51228954
>not using the smiley with a carat nose
|:^0
>>
>>51229188
>not sure how any gnu/linux distro could be "faster" than another, anon.
Gentoo and arch installs will mostly end up with packages compiled from source. -march=native is enough for a noticeable speedup and flag ricing can speed up everything significantly. Moreover, at least for gentoo but I think arch can do that too, not compiling every feature into software, especially when you don't need them, will significantly speed up most tasks.

Now, where do I sign up to shill like you and how's the pay?
>>
Debian has ancient repositories and I don't like having my Firefox being called "Iceweasel." Even if it is exactly the same.
>>
>>51229311
Do you have OCD?
>>
>>51228610
>I wish you could borrow my brain for a moment, just so you could realise how pointless your existence is. Literally waste of energy.
You're awarded for the edgiest commend on 4chan for at least this week.

Good job.
>>
>>51228332

>Non-autistic community

It must have changed a lot since the last time I had anything to do with it six years ago then.
>>
>>51228576
Gnome 3 obviously. God bless.
>>
>>51229304
>arch installs will mostly end up with packages compiled from source
"mostly"? you realize arch is a binary distro, right?

even if you do use the AUR, packages from it don't make up "most" of your system
>-march=native
>noticeable speedup
kek
>>
>>51229370
>you realize arch is a binary distro, right?
So you've never even used GNU before! Is that who deb and ian hire these days? No longer their OS is such garbage!
>>
The fuck's a neurotypical?
>>
>>51229383
Google it, fucktard.
>>
>>51229383
It's codeword for REEEEEEEEEEEEE NORMIE GET OUUUUT
>>
>>51229395
Get fucked you piece of shit.
>>
>>51229419
Make me.
>>
Linux distributions are literally all the same shit save for the package manager and the specific versions of the packages on their repository.

Literally nothing worth arguing over. Pick the one with easy access to the software you want.
>>
>>51228332

I like debian, but its long term support only goes to 5 years, which sucks if you're running a business which moves slowly - finance/government.

For a real business, the only serious option is RedHat/CentOS, which have 10 year life-cycle.
>>
>>51229383

Everyone who isn't an autist.
>>
>>51229437
E. g. everybody who does not use 4chan.
>>
>>51229381
holy shit, what are you even talking about?

if i've been in an argument with a schizophrenic this whole time, i guess that would explain a lot, though
>>
>>51229437
I see autistic children on a daily basis and they're pretty much always far more intelligent than /g/. Sometimes it's pretty useless intelligence but intelligence nonetheless.

/g/ doesn't get to flatter itself by calling each other autistic.
>>
>>51228935
>amazon botnet

Go on.
>>
I use Crunchbang++. I guess that counts.
>>
Who /ubuntu mate cinnamon / here....
It does what i need (media, streaming, and such)
Dont need to upgrade to some shit distro which needs to be compiled from scratch
>>
>>51228610
>Debian unstable more broken than Arch
Even though I'm using Arch now, I disagree with you. I have Arch break on me 3 times so far compared to none on Debian Sid.
>>
>>51228332
All of dis shit not about Debian.
>>
>systemd
>SJW distro
Fuck of Lennart
>>
>>51228558
>use testing or if you come from arch and are used to your system breaking, use unstable

Unstable doesn't break unless the entire package repo is being updated, in which case you may have some broken deps by forcing an upgrade.

>>51228610
>Testing packages are literally years old, idiot.

They are not. They're a few months old at worst, unless it is put into a freeze because of an upcoming stable release.

>Unstable is not even an option because it's more broken than Arch.

Bullshit. I've used it for years and it hasn't broken for me any more than Arch has (I used that too for a while).

>The package maintaining is hell because all the power is given to a handful of individual who are quite often not up to the task. Their whole job should be just accepting bug patches and reports.

Hah, like the package maintainers in Arch are particularly more competent.

>The website is one of the most relevant thing nowadays. This is why Arch became so popular to begin with. Dreadful site just dooms the whole distro to oblivion.

The Debian site is fine. Arch has the wiki going for it, but that's applicable to all distros provided you have some basic knowledge of the operating system.

No. They're backported pretty much immediately to stable.
>>
Debian itself is not the one that shines, Ubuntu is.
Its the most well known, the most used, the easiest to use and learn on Linux distro there is.

It has the most helpful resources and attracts users to use linux the best.

Debian itself being the basis for Ubuntu gets the claims aswell, but standalone Debian is nowhere near as god tier as Ubuntu
>>
>>51228748

Ow, the edge.

>Package maintainers do whatever the fuck they want. Not everybody, of course, but many do. They will argue patches are not relevant/needed, they will not update their packages, etc. Literally cancer. That's why we need community-driven package system.

Package maintainers do what they're fucking supposed to do, you little piece of shit. They update packages to upstream when they're supposed to, backport security fixes to stable and testing, accept patches that fix bugs (though preferably these patches are applied upstream and backported).

It works like this:

Stable: Only includes packages and versions of such that are confirmed to be stable after months of a testing freeze. Has security backports.
Testing: Includes packages and versions of such that have proven themselves to be stable in the unstable branch for a certain amount of time. Some security backports if severe, otherwise they'll get security fixes on the next merge from unstable.
Unstable: Constantly updated to the most recent stable release of a particular software, or eventually upgraded to this release if dependencies do not allow an immediate upgrade. The difference between Arch and Debian Unstable is that the former updates every release, while Debian Unstable only upgrades to stable releases. It's a breeze to build upstream packages should it be required anyway, because of the existing build infrastructure.
Experimental: Basically just Arch's experimental repo. Breaks just as often.

>And best package database.

Nah.

>And best forums. And pretty much the best community.

kek, right. Perhaps for pretentious edgelords like you who think they know what they're doing but don't really have a clue.

>Are you retarded? You literally cannot get security updates on stable. The ONLY way to update is to add the testing repos to your apt-get or whatever the mechanic is. Examples? Fucking shellshock, idiot.

Debian backports. You're the retard.
>>
>>51228610
CUNT
U
N
T
>>
>>51231320
Literley blew him away anon, I apologise on behalf as an Arch user for that anon's edgy behaviour.
>>
>>51228748
>And pretty much the best community.
wow
>>
>>51231544

Well hey, been an Arch user too. I have years of experience using both.

I just wasn't an edgelord about it. I left Arch behind about the same time that systemd was introduced.
>>
>>51231634
>I left Arch behind about the same time that systemd was introduced.
It kinda sounds like systemd what was caused you to leave, but then Debian has it now...
>>
>this laptop model requires squidly to work
>>
File: 1443943917020.png (69 KB, 635x307) Image search: [Google]
1443943917020.png
69 KB, 635x307
>debian
>>
>>51232057

Gentoo is the only distro left that doesn't have it by default, and I don't want to compile everything from scratch.

Debian at least lets you choose.
>>
>>51233564
>Debian at least let you choose
Huh, didn't know that. Didn't really say systemd or init or else...
Anyway I'm not that fussy over systemd anyway.
>>
>>51233564
slackware doesn't
>>
>>51228354
>what is sid
used sid for the past few years now, i haven't had any major problems after upgrading so it's actually quite stable
>>
>>51228332
Most people want something that is compatible with their hardware out of the box.
>>
Because Fedora is much better.

>latest stable upstream packages
>easy as fuck distro upgrade that just works
>have the backing of Red Hat, the biggest supporter of Free Software in the corporate world
>>
>>51228788
Fedora is much better than Ubuntu.

Fedora is really the best distribution if you wanna get things done.
>>
>>51228332

>SystemD
>>
>>51228576
o p e n b o x
p
e
n
b
o
x
>>
>>51228423
>>51233744
that's the joke, guys. i was trying to satirize fuckheads like >>51228411
>>
>>51228332
I want to ruffle that hair so bad
>>
>>51235106
P-Petting is lewd
>>
>>51237143
And then I'll make her the mother of my many future children
Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.