[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Asking here because I know I'll get an honest answer...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: vim-logo.png (14 KB, 605x300) Image search: [Google]
vim-logo.png
14 KB, 605x300
Asking here because I know I'll get an honest answer...

Is VIM worth learning rather than just sticking with an IDE?
>>
>>50819963
It's a very powerful text editor, and you probably wouldn't regret learning how to use it.

However like anything else, what the fuck are you going to be using it for? Would I recommend my mother to learn Vim so that she can better edit all the text documents that she edits (which is none)?
>>
>>50819963
mfw i actually had to use vi editor at college
>>
>>50819963
It's good to know since it runs everywhere (gui, command line, ports for everything) and is highly configurable. That said, it's not everything people make it appear to be. If you just want a good text editor that you can use in a gui environment, Atom is really good.
>>
>>50819963

if you're going to be a programmer on unix boxes then yeah it'll come in handy. but you dont really NEED it anymore, even 10years ago you did but these days you can probably get away without it. having said that, learning vim (vi really) will do interesting things to your head cos its not really an editor its more a language which you use to edit with.
>>
>>50819963
Yes.
"Sticking with an IDE" is like sticking to hunt & peck.
>>
Why would you need to learn a text editor at all?
Just KISS and type.
>>
I find a mixture of both to be the best of both worlds. I use a vim plugin for PyCharm, that way I get the fancy shit that comes with an IDE (magic refactoring, etc) plus the awesome editing/navigation shit that comes with vim.
>>
>>50820115
OP, I recommend you learn vim and do exactly this. The power of vim is in its keybindings. The rest of vim is total garbage. So take the best from vim and retain the comfort and features of an IDE.
>>
Is anything worth learning?

Idk, why don't you just try it?
>>
>>50819963

What are you going to use yout workplace? What is gonna get you the most amount of work done in less time?

Everyone these days uses frameworks so you're gonna be dealing with a lot of boilerplate code .

Vim shortcuts are great , there's vim plugins for everything.

If you do any web development learn emmet, saves so much time.
>>
You won't regret learning to use Vim but it's not really needed.
>>
>>50819963
Honestly it's not that hard. Just go through vimtutotur if it'd your first time
>>
learn it when/if you need it
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.