[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Jaron Laneir
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4
File: jaron.jpg (136 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
jaron.jpg
136 KB, 600x400
Are people/groups with the biggest computers really the most powerful?

By leveraging technology to offer as many free goods/services as possible (news, communication, music, movies, etc.), aren't we taking away the possibility of getting paid to produce those things?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdEuII9cv-U
>>
File: jonne-jarvela.jpg (27 KB, 268x403) Image search: [Google]
jonne-jarvela.jpg
27 KB, 268x403
>>
File: 1441245930388.gif (923 KB, 424x240) Image search: [Google]
1441245930388.gif
923 KB, 424x240
>>
>Are people/groups with the biggest computers really the most powerful?
People with most information are the most powerful, assuming they know how to make use of the information. Even if they do a crappy job with the information they still have the edge.
>>
>By leveraging technology to offer as many free goods/services as possible (news, communication, music, movies, etc.), aren't we taking away the possibility of getting paid to produce those things?

No. Are you implying there's no way to make money off of "free" things?
>>
People should feel a moral obligation to pay whatever amount they deem worthy for services and products they use, rather than paying a (fixed) price for licenses grating them access to a proprietary black box environments that unverifiably seem to behave the way they're intended.

But people suck.
>>
>>50814710
ok. please interpret "biggest computers" to mean both "biggest datasets" and "most processing power to make use of these datasets"
>>
File: 0.jpg (67 KB, 480x700) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
67 KB, 480x700
>>50812068
those who control the context, are the most powerful.

thanks to the uncensored internet, they are loosing the ability to change the truth, or manipulate news to change the perception of the herd.

before you take something as a fact, ask yourself, who controls the context.

>inb4 buttmad usaians downboat me
>inb4 they still believe they are the good guys
>>
>>50814802
No. My apologies for the poorly worded question. I was thinking from the perspective of the individual.

In the video, Jaron uses the example of Instagram (~15 employees) killing Kodak (~100k employees). The actual content creators (users) for instagram don't get paid for their "work" (that is, their contribution to the value of the organization), and instead, are compensated only with getting to use the instagram service.
>>
>>50815982
ok but what does that have to do with Jaron Lanier or the video linked in OP

mentioned in the video: some nation-states are going bankrupt while the powerful computers crunching numbers on wall street make tons of money for the corporations that own them.

I agree with >>50814919, people suck.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.