[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there honestly any reason for a college kid to install Linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: me.jpg (92 KB, 728x1092) Image search: [Google]
me.jpg
92 KB, 728x1092
Is there honestly any reason for a college kid to install Linux (probably Ubuntu) if they don't plan on using the command line for everything?
>>
Nope.
>>
>if they don't plan on using the command line for everything

good luck installing anything
>>
>>50799097
>2015
>still with the command line meme
You very rarely have to use the command line. It's faster, but you don't have to use it.
>>
>>50799185
Some could argue that to truly "use" linux you have to know it.
>>
>>50799097
Why would you not want to use the command line? It gives you a lot more power, and once you are used to it it is faster. That said distros like Ubuntu pretty much take away the need to use it for very much. They are also a convoluted, bloated mess. If you ever get around to installing Arch, Gentoo, or messing with the BSDs you'll understand. Linux and Unix are simple at the basic level, but that's not the same as being easy, at least not until you learn them. Distros like Ubuntu make them easier to use by tacking on a bunch of unnecessary horseshit to an already perfect system, and on top of that they do everything they can to discourage you from delving deeper.

Not having much need to use the command line was what I missed from Windows 3.1. I learned to use a PC with DOS and it just never felt right from Win 95 forward. I wish I had of switched to Linux years sooner now. Not only do I have my command line back, I've got one that's superior in every way to DOS.
>>
>reason
>install Linux
>>
>>50799239
Would you install Arch on a system that you depend on, at the level of knowledge as your standard college student
>>
>>50799097
this thread again

>free as in costs no money
>actually learning something useful, especially if you are compsci, engineering, sciences etc.
>supporting freedom, not being hypocrite American
>superior to most common OSes - debatable
>>
>>50799097
Ubuntu has basically made the command line unnecessary for every day computing by using slow, messy, ugly, convoluted menus in Unity instead.

instead of typing "command --help" into a CLI you jump on google and search for what you're trying to do. Then you ignore the first 4 to 5 results which all explain the simple command line commands to do what you want and look for the God awful Ubuntu help forums and pray.

Be careful it's quite easy to get comfy using a command line though.
>>
>>50799097
You should do it only if all of your apps port over to Linux. Don't bother with WINE and don't actually install gentoo (unless you want to).

WINE is actually OK, but a majority of DirectX stuff past 10 doesn't work well at all, and it is still bug ridden and incomplete.

You don't have to use the command line for much of anything unless you break something, which can happen, or you refer to a tutorial that uses the command line to install a program or something like that. I only use the command line for remote editing (Emacs) and compilation, but if you don't do those things, I doubt you would need to use the command line much at all.

You get all of the benefits of free as in freedom software, while not feeding the Microsoft monster or the Apple Ass. If you have to pay $80 dollars for Windows, I would recommend you just use Linux instead (that's what I did, and it did everything I needed it to do for around 4 years now, it also helped me with computer programming. It introduced me to the glorious world of Emacs and Vim and GDB and C++, and it is morally the right thing to do).

tl;dr you don't need the command line and you should use Linux instead of Windows unless you need to run specific pieces of software that cannot be ran NATIVELY on Linux (NO WINE)
>>
>>50799097
LEARN THE CLI YOU FAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
>>
>>50799324
No, but it's because I prefer OpenBSD. Arch is far more bleeding edge than OpenBSD, so if I needed that I'd at least consider it.

Arch is a bit beginner unfriendly though, but not as bad as Gentoo. There are a few distros based on it aimed more at beginners and casual users. Manjaro isn't great by any stretch but I do think it is better than Ubuntu or Mint, in that it is an Arch system. When you decide that you want to move on to the next level it doesn't hinder you like Ubuntu will. If anything it will make you eager to move on to installing Arch for yourself.
>>
>>50799097
If you don't want to know anything about computers just get a mac.
>>
>>50799097
I installed linux mint for both my 73 years old mother and my 11 years old nephew and they are super happy with that, using only gui. The nephew is starting with basic command language. Gentoo / bsd / arch are just next steps if he wants to code one day.
>>
>>50799488

Most things below DX10 do work pretty well though, and if it doesn't (Games) It's probably related to DRM so you can fix it anyway.
>>
>command line for editing and general interface
>gui for web browsing and cad
>ncurses mc for moving / deleting directories
>>
>>50799666
> Gentoo / bsd / arch if he wants to code one day.
kekin/10
i think you mean if he wants to shitpost in the desktop threads one day
>>
>>50799097
Legally, you can report any professor who tries to force you to use linux. It's inhumane.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.