[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vim?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: Vimlogo.png (90 KB, 1022x1024) Image search: [Google]
Vimlogo.png
90 KB, 1022x1024
Hey /g/uys and /g/irls, what's your opinion on Vim? I just recently started using it and I'm really liking it so far.
>>
vim is nice. Has more features than I'll ever know. Visual block mode blew my mind.
>>
>>50787208
Vim is a really great editor. I use it not only for code but for nearly everything I can.
The concept of modes really makes sense to me, the commands are quite intuitive and of course some plugins are really amazing!
>>
outdated and gay

only use it for ssh when it's absolutely necessary

in before the flood of hipsters accuse me of being a baby
>>
>>50787259
Sublime text subhuman detected
>>
>>50787272
there we go. kek
>>
>>50787208
What plugins do you use in vim?
And whats a feature worth looking at?
>>
>>50787311
None at the moment, really need/want to look into split windows. Haven't done much yet since I'm in between things right now.
>>
I like it, only real downsides to it that I actually think about is that the auto completion from YCM is kinda mediocre and I haven't found a good debugger plugin for setting breakpoints and such. So when I'm on Windows, I use VS with a crappy Vim emulator plugin instead.
>>
>>50787208
Even if you're a Emacs or Sublime person, since it's pre-installed in some form by default on every decent server and desktop OS, even some embedded devices, learning VIM is a very good skill to have.
>>
Amazing text editor, I just wish it had a better framework and was more extensible.
Evilmacs the best.
>>
I've never used it except attempting to get used to the keys with vim-adventures but from what I know, it's the best for programming if you're good, it takes about a couple weeks to pick up to a decent level but is well worth the time put in to learn. I, myself, can't be fucked. I only use java at uni so only use intellij. Further complication is redundant
>>
Pretty good if you don't want to use an ide for whatever reason. Lots of crazy shortcuts that can improve your productivity bordering on 10x status and also make you look like a fucking wizard.

It sucks with dvorak, though.
>>
>>50787259
This.

VIM is powerful, sure. But as powerful as an IDE? Nigga please..
>>
>>50787452
its better if ur good nerd, legit, vim pros laugh in the face of anyone who stills run an IDE in a high up work environment
>>
>>50787452
For bigger projects i also use an IDE.
The good thing is that nearly every IDE provids plugins for vim-like keybinding.
That way I have the best of both worlds.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.