[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Got gifted a i7 5820k and I'm currently shopping around
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: ram stick.jpg (732 KB, 1920x1191) Image search: [Google]
ram stick.jpg
732 KB, 1920x1191
Got gifted a i7 5820k and I'm currently shopping around for parts to make this cpu work. I can across a problem and that is finding the budget for it..

Anyways I managed to find a 8x2 ddr4 pc 2400 for $60 and on that same store they have an identical ram stick that's priced at $120. The only difference between the two sick is that the cheaper one says udimm and the other says dimm. I tried to google the difference between udimm and dimm but I failed to find out what makes the other one cost so much more than the other. Does the dimm version overclock and the other can't? Does udimm limit the overclock potential of the cpu? Is it hard to find a mobo that would support udimm than dimm or does all mobo support both ram types?

Been out of the loop for a while, still running a q6600 so forgive my ignorance.
>>
>>50784375
Post the links for the two.
>>
File: aa.jpg (669 KB, 3647x1427) Image search: [Google]
aa.jpg
669 KB, 3647x1427
>>50784666
>>
>>50784863
I dont see the difference between the two. Why one is considerably more expensive than the other (other than shipping time) I dont know.

Grab 2 of the cheaper set, as the 5820k requires 4 sticks of ram.
Alternatively, find a 2x4GB set that suits your needs and grab 2 sets if you dont want to go to 32GB.

And to answer your question of DIMM vs UDIMM, the first simply states that it is part of the Dual Inline Memory Module technology, which has basically been in use since ye olden (i486 and the like) days of personal computers. UDIMM (Unregistered DIMM) is a subset of the technology that basically states the ram doesnt have anything between the memory chips and the memory controller (an extra pair of chips for ECC, a register chip, buffers of some kind, or special voltage requirements). It is a bog-standard baseline ram stick.
>>
>>50785017

Are you saying that the system won't run if I only plan to run 2 sticks?
>>
>ddr4 for a non Skylake CPU
>>
>>50785160
It will run, but performance will take a hit. How much of a hit depends on what program you are running. Tasks that have a shitton of memory transfers will see a bigger hit going from quad to dual channel than tasks that have minimal memory transfers.

This is for DDR3 on a 3960X, but the same principles apply.
http://www.legitreviews.com/ddr3-memory-performance-analysis-on-intel-x79_1779/3

>>50785205
Blame intel for making Haswell-E exclusively DDR4. It doesnt help that all of the Haswell-E i7s are essentially 8C xeons that failed validation at their intended specs.
>>
>>50785260
Would you consider getting a this ddr4 2400 4x8gb at this price or am I better off getting something along the lines of ddr4 3000 4x4gb at the similar cost?
>>
>>50785810
Well, in this case I'd suggest getting the 4x8GB 2400 as it would have superior capacity, and DDR4 performance doesnt really scale well.

And if you need to squeeze more memory performance out of it for whatever reason, you can always overclock the ram further.
>>
>>50785810
Just get a 4x4GB quad channel kit.
>>
>>50785969

The kit seems to cost more, seems like kits are harder to find at a decent price, much less a bargain. Is there any real world benefits other than a company saying it works well together?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.