[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Asus X205ta
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: cover-r.png (70 KB, 700x547) Image search: [Google]
cover-r.png
70 KB, 700x547
Hi /g/ I am on a low budget to buy a laptop, I have narrowed my search down to the Aus X205ta

https://www.asus.com/in/Notebooks/ASUS_EeeBook_X205TA/

It has excellent battery backup and is lightweight, good for my needs, i.e- Light browsing, movie watching and word processing. However it comes with Windows, I wish to install a lightweight distro on it but can't find any source validating if it supports Linux.

Can /g/ help me out if it supports something like Lubuntu or Mint mate?
>>
>>52647237
It takes a bit of effort to install. Also, audio doesn't work, the other stuff works fine but audio not working might be a deal-breaker to you.
>>
>>52647382
Gun to your head, at this price point would you buy this or look elsewhere at the same price? Need linux on it, maybe there's a work around for it?

>effort?

define?
>>
>>52647237
I have this, using it now (but posting from a Nexus 7). It's battery life is really freaking good. Like insane. I wish I could help you with the Linux situation, but I kept with Windows and its worked really well so far. And I simply don't have space left to try a bunch of distros out (I only have 10gb free).

Also, I remember reading that Linux distros didn't really play nice with these processors. Don't know if that's still true, if it ever was.

Any other questions, I can help you out with, shoot them at me. I'd be happy to help.
>>
>>52647237
you can get a much better thinkpad for around the price of that.
>>
>>52647424
were?
>>
>>52647415
The main reason I want this Laptop is because of the excellent battery backup I've heard of. We barely have 6-8hrs of electricity on a good day, so my powerful p.c is often times redundant when I need to submit thesis and reports. Hence, I am eyeing for this laptop. If only it supported linux out of the box?
>>
>>52647395
A decent amount of things won't work out of the box I heard. Also, it has the problem of having 32-bit EFI, which you will probably have to get working too. Things might have gotten better recently though, but I know for a fact sound still won't work.

Gun to my head, I might get this laptop. I like laptops with recent Atoms with a battery life as long as that, and I like ASUS as a company. I would use Win 8.1 on it (which I find alright, but I'm not a big fan of 10), I wouldn't put Linux on it. If you want Linux, maybe try to find another one.
>>
>>52647498
Actually, if you really want Linux and also want a laptop that has good battery life, look into Chromebooks. Linux support is usually very good on them.
>>
>>52647515
Don't like chromebooks. The chromebooks with decent battery backups similar to the asus are out of my price range.

I guess I'll have to make it work with windows. Off to amazon
>>
>>52647498
Off to amazon, gonna buy this and see if I get 10 or 8. Either way, will have to make it work!
>>
>>52647498
32bit uefi is actually pretty easy to deal with at this point. Drivers are make or break still. (ex: clover trail lacks gpu acceleration)
>>
>>52647476
If its for school, get it, and stick to Windows. University is what I use it for, and having full compatibility with programs, plus getting profs to look at stuff is a lot easier since they all use Windows.

Battery life was the reason I picked it up as well. I take it to school everyday, where I spend about 10-12 hours a day. It's really nice not carrying a charger. I see why ultrabooks are popular now, but its good to have things this cheap last this long.
>>
>>52647657
It's for college actually, I am literature student myself. I don't like to carry a charger either and of course if only there is electricity to charge. But all day battery backup with just minor research on a browser(wikipedia, cliffnotes, etc) word processor. Yeah, I think I can make it work.

I too prefer windows formats like .docx as everybody around me uses it. And formats like that of Libreoffice Writer are rarely supported and have weird encoding issues. No matter how much I like FoSS, industry standards dictate what I use.

Do you get bottlenecked by the low storage amount? How much free space do you have?

And do you get bogged down when multitasking?
>>
x205ta user here.

I've owned one for little over a month now and I have to say I freaking love it. The battery life is just excellent if you balance the brightness levels properly (i.e. don't use 100% when it's obviously not needed). I code on it all the time, watch movies et cetera.

As for linux, you will need to get a 32-bit bootloader for it to even boot; Sound doesn't work, but lovely people over at Ubuntu forums are working hard to get it to work. Bluetooth also doesn't work on Linux. But other than that, everything else runs just fine. I tried Arch on it and it worked flawlessly (except for the thing that I mentioned). However, I stayed with Windows 10 as it works a bit better than Linux right now, and also I can just ssh to my home computer if I really need a linux box. That's something to think about.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.