[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what's the deal with overheating and the new MacBook
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (154 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
154 KB, 960x640
So what's the deal with overheating and the new MacBook Pro? I'd like to grab one and run OS X natively again, but don't want to pay the apple tax just to have it thermal throttle itself down to netbook levels whenever I do more than shitpost on /g/.
>>
they haven't overheated in ages. Airs are silent and cool. Pros run hot i think but don't throttle or anything unless it's defective
>>
the new one is "fanless", a 5w tdp apparently still doesnt warrant cooling, despite chipsets (about 5-7w) having cooling since forever
Its like, what the hell were they thinking?
the pro gets hot, but thats because its a fucking 47w processor in the thin as fuck laptop, shitty cheap laptops barely survive running cool with their 35w processors and theyre thick as fuck (loltoshiba) the airs run cool but theyre aenemic as fuck. so yea, pro and air are both valid choices, but the new one is paying more than an air to get less battery, get less ports, and a significantly less powerful cpu
>>
>>47773484
the new one is just a macbook, replacing the old plastic ones. it's 'a poorfag model, though the price doesn't yet reflect that
>>
>>47773412
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
Nice meme, putting design > practical design

Have you opened your Macbook yet? The area around your heatsink is orange.
>>
>>47773514
>The area around your heatsink is orange
so?
>>
>>47773553
Your Macbook will at least run 2 years and then become dramatically slower, since your hardware is slowly dying.

All the fucking times I ran photoshop and burned my fingers while pressing the undo hotkeys. (That macbook is 3 years old)

With that price you can get an i7 laptop and after 2 years, you can purchase another updated i7 laptop, while you are still below 2k bucks in spending.
>>
>>47773630
i can't put my macbook on my bare chest because it's too cold. never had a problem with any of my old macs either. i avoided the initial intels that ran hot though
>>
>>47773657
If you use a mac as a professional working station, it gets incredibly hot, especially if you have to work 5h+ without taking any breaks.

Low level tasks like browsing or reading don't require much computation power. I still don't consider a mac to be a serious device to work with.
>>
>>47773694
which mac are you even talking about? The Airs stay cool as fuck even when running photoshop. the new Pros are not much worse
>>
File: deadbook.jpg (53 KB, 580x402) Image search: [Google]
deadbook.jpg
53 KB, 580x402
>>47773719
2012 Macbook Pro
>>
It's a tiny machine with a shitty cooling system because apple values form over function.
What exactly were you expecting?
>>
>>47773719
>Watch a Quantum Leap episode on Netflix
>Fans go into 747 mode after 20 minutes
>Aluminum becomes almost unbearably hot

This is why I have to pull out my Windows laptop to do anything that isn't facebook browsing
>>
>>47773772
only the defective ones overheat. 99% customer sat suggests it rarely happens
>>
>>47773811
Remember, overheating is subjective :^)
>>
>>47773805
if it overheats get it replace. mine runs flash fine
>>
>>47773814
overheating means it is malfunctioning, as in hitting top and throttling. it's not subjective
>>
OP should definetly consider buying an ultrabook, since they have updated technology, are somewhat cheaper and are as slim as any mac.

>>47773811
>spending 2k
>overheating problems
I think we should be far beyond those kinds of problems with that price tag, don't you agree?
>>
For overheating 2012 models, just remove the thermal paste and reapply it. With the right pentalobe screwdriver, a T8 torx screwdriver and some AS5 and thermal paste removre, it takes all of 10 minutes. This is /g/. If you can't manage that then you honestly need to leave.
>>
>>47773828
>and are as slim as any mac
in mm there's not much difference. % wise it's usually double digits though
>>
>>47773873
Customer service did this and then I reapplied thermal paste myself, it didn't work. I noticed that the screen is kind of overlapping with the fan extraction slots at the case. This is failure by design. There are also 2 fans installed, imagine the noise levels.
>>
>>47773827
>Macfags actually believe a laptop hitting 95c is okay as long as it's not throttling
>>
>>47773396
>overheating
>MacBook Pro

Pick one and only one. MBPs don't fucking overheat. Macs don't overheat.
>>
>>47773968
>Macs don't overheat.
Awww... you've spoiled OP's carefully crafted troll. He'll probably sulk in his room for days.
>>
MacBook over heat like crazy, my sister was playing some stupid game on steam and I could literally hear the fans in my room, ridiculous. Apple really died and has been dying in their quality
>>
>>47773396
Pretty much all the MacBook Pros overheat if on a place where they can't get airflow. Even without that they easily get to around 80c cpu temp. 2012 MacBook Pro 17" here and no problems to report unless airflow is totally restricted.
>>
>>47773761
Wow that is gorgeous. I gotta say, they made the cramped, inside of a laptop look clean and oh so sexy.
>>
In OS X just install SMC fan control and manually set them yo max when doing intensive stuff, you'll stay below 90C. In Windows you can use Lubbos I think.

If fans are maxed and it's overheating, get some canned air.
>>
>>47773630
The only time my rMBP gets that hot is when running games. Running Photoshop or compiling code is pretty cool. Pic related, Photoshop, XCode, Android Studio and Virtual Box running an Android emulator
>>
>>47774996
>CPU temps
>66,63,67,63,67
>Pretty cool
Fuck off retard
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.