[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Networking general /gnet/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6
I'm going to buy a router or a WIFI-router for my new apartment. Im thinking buying Asus or TP-Link, or something under 60 €/70 $USD with AC ability. What are the best routers for general networking that have nice UI and don't brick themselfs alot (we had ZyXel Wifi-router that overheated to point of no return)

I have looked following models: Asus RT-AC51U Dual-Band (AC750)
TP-Link Archer C2 (AC750)

In the past i have had bad feels with D-link and ZyXel boxes.

Also genral networking thread as none found.
>>
>>47706545
OPhere, i have 100/100 MB connection in the apartment, so AC might not be required?
>>
File: smokeweedevery.jpg (249 KB, 600x1066) Image search: [Google]
smokeweedevery.jpg
249 KB, 600x1066
>>47706545
stay away from the ASUS line. i shilled them for years in consumer electronics until my 3rd personal one burned out.

100/100 at home calls for n300 at most, AC is still pretty nascent in terms of consumer devices using it properly + even if you run "AC" on your device you'd need a shitton of antennae/spatial streams to get the speeds nd the feed to satiate ur needz u feels

source: i work wireless w/ cis scum
>>
>>47706642
So, N then propably. Would you recom Dual-band or "single", whats the practical difference, TP or something else.
>>
>>47708294
You're actually going to take advice from a guy who writes like that?

Plus it's faulty logic.

Yes, don't buy a router that supports 802.11ac because consumer device support isn't 100% yet.

That way, in a couple years' time, when all your devices DO support it, you get to buy another router! It's not like wireless-ac routers are fully backwards compatible anyway (backwards compatibility is part of the standard).

Routers aren't something you should feel the need to replace as often as your phone or even PC.

That said, stop cheaping out. If you're going to get some extra shitty AC750 router, you might as well just go dumpster diving at your local university for free routers.
>>
>>47708294
dual band operates at 5.0ghz and is where ac is found. youre going to get depreciated range, so if youre covering a large ranch home then youre going to likely spend most of your time scraping for signal unless you have multiple access points. the least retarded thing is to have a good 802.11n/ac access point centrally located. people here will talk about repeaters and boosters and all this weeaboo consumer grade shit. if youre fighting a large house hop on ebay and get one of the APs i posted a picture of in

>>47706642

they're 3602i and e's. you can find em on ebay for <300 which will be less than the cost of 2 of those trash repeaters and will cover pretty solid square footage (also never need to be reset because they run a true RTOS)

tplink is shockingly solid for being cheap, though. the guy in >>47708390 is mixing routers and access points which is a distinctively /consumer/ thing to do
>>
>>47708390
OK, so no AC. But any good recomms about the brands? Whats g's feels about internal antennaes? Buffalo seems to be good, but pretty much all of them seems to be internal model. Does internal have better radiaton or is the external antenna good to have. The apartment is basicly just one big room so no really blocking objects there.
>>
http://m.thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-router/
>>
>>47708524
>>47708551

i didnt even click the wirecutter link but id say theyre to be trusted.
external antennas are really more for manufacturing environments and stuff, dont sweat it too much these days. especially in a one bedroom. i have a beast AP in my apartment and my current problem is my wifi extends out to the pool, so i need to dial down the xmit power so my phone just stays on 4g out there.
>>
sorta related..

Whats the easiest way to crack a 10 digit(numeric) WPA2 password? Do i really gotta generate a library of all numbers from 1 to 9999999999, and run through them in kali?

Next-door neighbors have a better internet plan than me, and i wanna get on that shit over-night to download some movies.
>>
>>47708572

ive seen weebs crack wpa2 in short periods of time with gpu and rainbow attack, thats all i know
>>
>>47708572
I cracked WiFi using kali on a chrome book. Look for kali and figure it out from there.
>>
>>47708572
Oops you mentioned kali. The prog I used did the pass generation for me.
>>
>>47708572
>2015
>being this pleb
>>
>>47708683
there are people on this board who rub out to old as hell thinkpads and pay for broken charger ports (for which the chargers are now obsolete) to be repaired, and then QQ about off-contract cellphone prices

at least this kid is making moves
>>
>>47708614
You sure it wasnt WEP? I cracked WEP in literally 2 minutes when i was doing my testing. When i used the instructions i could find for WPA(generate dictionary list, get the handshack, run the list against the handshake file) it was saying it would take 6 days to do ONE of my password lists(I generated 000000000 to 0999999999 as one file, 1000000000 to 1999999999 as another, etc...)

Though i'm running a POS C2D E8400 with no gpu activation(its a amd4850, so not supported)
>>
File: herman.webm (233 KB, 400x344) Image search: [Google]
herman.webm
233 KB, 400x344
>beta test for major router manufacturer
>provide a little feedback (routers take under 1 hour to go through the test plan)
>get to keep them afterwards, free of cost
>3 routers, 1 pcie card free in the last 8 months
>next router beta is supposed to begin in two weeks
>mfw
>>
>>47708728
wep cracks in seconds, WPA2 doesn't have the replay vulnerabilities that WEP does. im not the guy youre responding to, but when i saw WPA2 cracked the kid was working off the fact that the hash is computed using the SSID and had a NAS and a shitload of GPU power and used some AWS in there... total weeb. for the same project i just (faked) wardriving results
>>
>>47708760
Congrats, but is there really that much value to these things now a days? All the ISP's in my area *require* you to rent their modems which have routers built in.... I mean sure you COULD disable its wifi and run a hardline to a dedicated better router... But 95% of people will just made due with what they are already paying for.

My local craislist has literally 15 pages of routers being sold for $10-50 without any really moving.
Its cool you get to keep them, but other than the best one you own, its not like you are able to get any value out of the other ones... Can hardly even give them away it seems.
>>
>>47708823
>All the ISP's in my area *require* you to rent their modems which have routers built in....
They usually suck ass, so yes. I've had cablecos give me router/modems before, I tell them to disable the builtin router or give me a modem only. You could potentially only buy your own.

All the routers I got had pricetags, minimum, $150. So it's not cheap shit.
>>
>>47708760
Plz send one to N. EU

This is pretty tard quest, but does manufactruers change the models continent-specific, or are they all the same?
>>
>>47706545
You know, if you put some propellers on those antennas I imagine that router would make a pretty good quadcopter.
>>
>>47708857
technically speaking there are regulatory domains for wifi. the US is reg domain A, etc.
>>
>>47708894
Isnt it pretty much the same across the entire developed world?
The only big stand out, i think, was that one south american country didnt have a strength limit on the output, so you could pump ridiculous amounts of energy into an antenna, to the point of it fucking with other wireless stuff.
>>
>>47709004
bands vary. certain channels are OK/not OK in certain countries
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels#5.C2.A0GHz_.28802.11a.2Fh.2Fj.2Fn.2Fac.29.5B17.5D

its enough that i need to think about where gear will be deployed when im at work designing a bill of materials (in terms of what domain to quote)

as long as youre broadcasting on channels that are legal in your country you should have no issue though, the issue resides in the fact that you COULD theoretically be in band you shouldnt be
>>
>>47709078
Yeah, its like the chinese ham radios. The sellers expect you to know where you can and cant transmitt, since a lot of them can transmit over the military and emergency spectrum. If you fuck up and use that wavelength, the $100 you saved on a radio isnt going to make up for the terrorism charges you'll be facing in a few hours.
>>
>>47709166
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4GHz4ch-Color-Mini-Wireless-Home-Security-Based-USB-DVR-Receiver-Camera-Kit-A1-/361281291026

certain versions of that camera will literally just black out channels 1-4 in america
>>
Can someone explain subnetting to me? On my local network I know I have to use /24 but I don't know why.
And what about my routers netmask?
>>
>networking thread
>it's about home routers
Seriously?
>>
File: Cisco_logo.svg.png (22 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
Cisco_logo.svg.png
22 KB, 800x450
>>47709504
subnetting lets us carve out networks
your local network is a private address established in RFC1918 and is therefore (by definition) not routed on the public internet. you can be 192.168.x.x as much as you want in your own house
the netmask tells your router what the network bits are (what network youre on, in a home this wont change) and what the host bits are (the bits that describe individual hosts

so two networks:
192.168.0.x/24
192.168.1.x/24
everyone in 192.168.0.1-254 can talk to each other
everyone in 192.168.1.1-254 can talk to each other
but to talk between the networks they need to be routed

so theres also security behind it too, i guess, maybe, or something
>>
>>47709532

Everyone on /g/ using enterprise cisco routers at home that DOESN'T know how to use them, please stand up
>>
>>47709569
taking questions, 5 cents
>>
Any suggestions for a fully opensource router?
> NSA Firmware Backdoors
>>
>>47709545
>so theres also security behind it too, i guess, maybe, or something
Optionally yes. If you want to ensure some basic network segmentation on a logical levels you want to use VLANs normally.
>>47709569
>Home
Who gives a shit about home networks? There are never any interesting things to be said for them.

CCNP here, ask away.
>>
>>47709629
Nigrig your own, including the network cards.
gambatte.
>>
File: TS1.jpg (220 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
TS1.jpg
220 KB, 1500x1000
>>47709635
>>CCNP
shiggydiggy
>>
>>47709644
route my tunneled anus.
I still don't know what I was hoping to get out of the Cisco track, I feel like those SAP people with a crushed soul but money.
>>
>>47709670
do you work for cisco or a partner? im blue badge so i aint got no beef
>>
>>47709681
A local bank, it pays the bills but I never liked networking at all. Then again, Microsoft is also a vendor whose products I don't want to pick up all the eccentricities for. I wish I could be a NEET some day.
>>
Op here, stumbled upon buffalo's whr and wzr range, both 50 €. Anyano have experiences with buffalo? How's their UI etc?
>>
>>47709545
Thanks that makes sense.
So the reason I have to use a /24 netmask if because that's the space reserved for home networks behind a router.
>>
>>47710020
Kinda, the main reason why you default to such a narrow scope is so you can use the other blocks from the 196.168.x.x/16 family as well for other parts of your network. You rarely need more than 254 systems on a subnet.

You can use 10.0.0.0/8 or 172.16.0.0/12 is a family to pick networks from as well.
>>
>>47710020
Yeah, it lets you have one IP to the outside world (the IP your ISP gives your modem) and then you can "subnet" in your house with private addresses:

The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) has reserved the
following three blocks of the IP address space for private internets:

10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255 (10/8 prefix)
172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255 (172.16/12 prefix)
192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255 (192.168/16 prefix)

those addresses are explicitly not routed on the internet
>>
https://www.ubnt.com/products/#all/wireless

Recommended by every single network tech I've run across

they are a higher price but it's worth it.
>>
>>47710067
If I try to use 192.168.x.x/16 I don't get Internet access, why is that?
>>
>>47710104
Have you set your modem/gateway to do nat?

It will need to translate from internal private addresses to your external public one
>>
>>47706545
>8 fucking tiny antennas

why.jpg
>>
The WiFi ain't the mains I'm looking, some router or switch to also might just do. WiFi would be likely to tablet and laptops that are old.
>>
>>47710144

my utterly unresearched opinion tells me theyre not 2.4/5 antennae but rather 3 of them are 2.4 and 3 of them are 5.0
>>47710104
your router might not be routing traffic from that subnet to the weebnete
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.