[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone get concerned that they spend too much time in their
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 5
Does anyone get concerned that they spend too much time in their house, at their "battlestation," looking at their computer?

Ever since I started thinking about how Fight Club describes your house as a pretty bird cage you make for yourself ive been worried that im self-domesticating myself.

And the thing is I feel no guilt at all for sitting at my computer. If I stay inside all day playing games and browsing the internet rather than going out I dont feel the least bit bad about it. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Does anyone else have thoughts like these as you save up for that next piece of your battlestation?
>>
It all depends.
Are you a NEET?
>>
>>47675072
No, I go to uni and have a part-time job. But my free time is 95% in my apartment, 5% going to an occasional party
>>
If they own me and I own them does that mean they own themselves?
>>
>>47675092
do what makes you happy
however, you should probably diversify in interests, and have at least one hobby that involves going outside, because being that guy that only does one thing in life makes for really dull conversations.
>>
Fight club is a great movie but you shouldn't base your life on it
>>
>>47675092
dont worry thats better than me, I'm a legit NEET
>>
>>47675050
It's just what you're interested in.
There's over 7,000,000,000 humans on this planet fucking everything and everyone up. So what if you enjoy using one of the most incredible technological miracles humans have ever crafted?
>>47675096
There is no owning.
>>
>>47675096
what should I do outside?
>>
>>47675141
Take creepshots of hot sluts.
>>
>>47675120
I feel like I have diverse interests, they just all happen to be best practiced in front of a computer. The only thing I can think of that id be interested in doing outside is riding a motorcycle but my college ass cant afford a bike/insurance

>>47675125
Im not, im more about buddhist ideas in general, it just happens that fight club describes this one issue really well

>>47675138
Thats exactly what I think- I wonder how anyone isnt glued to the internet given what a fucking amazing invention it is
>>
>>47675050
The things you own will only own you if you bought them instead of build them.
>>
>>47675174
don't even need a bike/car just take a walk on the park, bring some book to read.
>>
>>47675050
>Does anyone get concerned that they spend too much time looking at their computer?
yes. this is a normal feeling, especially if you work in tech', major in a comp-sci-related field at uni, or are a hobbyist / enthusiast.

>ive been worried that im self-domesticating myself
you are. but it's not just computers that do that. society does that, especially in suburban and urban environments.

>If I stay inside all day playing games and browsing the internet rather than going out I dont feel the least bit bad about it. Is this a good thing or a bad thing?
this is a bad thing. get out more.
>>
No, because I actually enjoy computing, unlike you fucking normie pretenders that only talk about technology because you think it might make you seem cool.
>>
>>47675050
Yes all the time. Even after a long day I feel bad about spending the evening on the internet or whatever to relax. I have kind of realized it is not relaxing at all and makes me just feel shitty.
>>
>>47675174
Don't get a motorcycle man, it's more a pain in the ass than anything. Just get a bicycle, way better, plus being able to ride in the rain without 100x increased chance of dying is nice.
>also exercise, way less maintenance (don't underestimate this)
>>
>>47675199
walking isnt fun though neither is reading.

>>47675213
Thats the thing, I dont regret a single second I spend in front of my computer. Im just trying to be aware of this feeling and seeing if its something I should be concerned about

>>47675244
Yeah nah man I gotta go fast you know?

>>47675250
Exactly my thoughts
>>
>>47675277
I-I like reading...
>>
>>47675050
As long as you're enjoying yourself you're doing fine, don't worry about it.
Who's to say if it's better to spend all day outside instead of behind a computer? Whether you should work a stable job or just live by the day?
If you like what you're doing, you're doing the right things. And if you feel like you're not, change things until you're satisfied. It's really that easy.
>>
>>47675299
faggot
>>
>>47675299
That's gay anon.
>>
>>47675277
Gotta go fast with your own legs. But whatever man, its alright if you use an expensive motorcycle as an excuse to not go outside... We all do that for something.
>>
>>47675277
>something I should be concerned about
Nope.
>>
>>47675339
>>47675352
Y-You too...
>>
I don't understand what is out there though. Be grateful you don't live in a home where you hate the people you live with. I wake up every morning and feel like I need to escape from these people. There is literally nothing out there though. I went to a bar last night. wasted $20. and ended up hating the people there as well. consumerism is pure cancer.

your home is your only sanctuary. you have it completely backwards
>>
>And the thing is I feel no guilt at all for sitting at my computer.
Why would you feel guilty about this? Is sitting inside a crime? Does sitting inside harm another or their possessions?

What was the point of this post?
>>
>>47675330
This post made me feel happier, thank you anon. I really enjoy the things I do and frankly don't like the company of others too much, but I'm told often that my life is passing me by and I should go out and explore etc. A girl I used to date called me a loser because I blew her off when she wanted to do this modelling shoot together and it really depressed me, and I felt like her circle thought I was a bore because our interests weren't at all aligned. It just doesn't interest me, I love coding and working freelance for a paycheck, and living in my own small apartment with LA's skyline in the backdrop is a dream for me. I have a small circle of friends who are like-minded, but we prefer skype calls to club raves and go out to drinks on the weekend instead of every night. I don't know, maybe I should stop thinking about what others think so much ;_; /blog
>>
>>47675453
The only thing I feel guilty about is sitting too much, apparently its bad for your health or something.
>>
>>47675360
Self-absorbed, arrogant, douchebag cyclist detected.
>>
>>47675470
>has an ex gf
>can afford to rent apartment
>goes to uni
>knows how to program

you =are doing better then 90% of /g/. you don't know how good you have it
>>
File: 403851840.jpg (21 KB, 211x246) Image search: [Google]
403851840.jpg
21 KB, 211x246
>>47675277
>walking isnt fun though neither is reading.
>>
>>47675470
Sound pretty good m8. You got friends, ambitions and you know what you love to do.
As long as you have direction in your life, it's only up to you to keep going.
>>
>>47675277
>walking isnt fun though neither is reading.
what the fuck man
I don't even like video games anymore but walking is fucking cool
>>
It is not a cage, for there are no bars. You can leave any time you wish; you just choose not to.
>>
>>47675453
A lot of people want you to feel guilty about staying inside rather than "going out" so thats why I mention it. Youre preaching to the choir as per the ridiculousness of it

>>47675470
Ive had a couple long term girlfriends since graduating highschool and it was fun for awhile and im glad I did it but when they ended it felt like such a relief. It seems dumb but I miss that feeling of "f-f-friday night motherfuckers!" When youre totally free of responsibilities for the next couple days leaving you free to indulge in your hobbies late into the night. You dont get to treat yourself like that when youre in a relationship- your free time is co owned by your SO

>>47675543
>>47675564
Of course I mean I dont think walking or reading is fun. If you enjoy these things im glad and a little bit jealous but they simply dont appeal to me. I like to walk to the park when its an especially nice day but in general I dont know what id do. And ive tried reading many times and just cant enjoy it
>>
>>47675211
>this is a bad thing
>games fall from heaven like mana
>Hollywood is real, makes less
>bad thing
>>
>>47675521
>>47675562
t-thanks guys

>>47675609
>It seems dumb but I miss that feeling of "f-f-friday night motherfuckers!" When youre totally free of responsibilities for the next couple days leaving you free to indulge in your hobbies late into the night.

I completely agree. There are times when I just want to do absolutely nothing, and watch TV or play Dragon Age until around 2AM on Friday. Dating can be fun of course, but I think for people like myself and possibly yourself, who are more introvert (?) and I guess independent, the headache of worrying about future appointments is a stress we can sometimes do without.
>>
I miss having my bubbles screensaver be transparent.
>>
File: kanye winks at me.jpg (157 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
kanye winks at me.jpg
157 KB, 640x640
>>47675707
couldnt have said it better myself
>>
What I feel guilty about is wasting the time I spend on the PC.

In all these years I spent on imageboards and forums I barely got any knowledge. I didn't learn programming, I didn't tinker with electronics, I didn't learn math, I didn't draw, I didn't 3D-model I learned nothing. I am embarassed by me being so useless despite my age. But now learning any of these skills will take way too long so I don't have the motivation anymore to even start.
>>
>>47675853
>damage control

Fuck off back to /b/
>>
You should do what makes you happy, but IMO everyone (once they have an income) should try to travel somewhere nice. Experiencing the world is cool.
>>
>>47675853

You can become pro at any one of those things regardless of age.

I've seen highschool art tier people in their mid 20s spend a year at a school and come out as absolute pros, getting industry jobs after.

My best friend was a terrible fucking programmer but kept practising and now has a job at Autodesk.

Tinkering with electronics has never been my thing, but I know hobbyists pull some cool shit with it in the space of a few weeks after doing basic tutorials and minor investments in the equipment.

I've seen a computer science major hate his job after, and went back to university to study to become a doctor (he'll be 35 by the time he graduates).

3D modelling requires practice and more practice. Frankly, getting self-taught in this area is difficult because it can often require a large initial investment to get underway properly. But it's not impossible - just avoid Blender like the fucking plague and stick to Autodesk.

What I'm saying, is it's never too late to start - and it sure as shit beats beating off all day anyway. What will be required however, it motivation and a drive to follow through in any of these things. That's what most people don't have, and they accept shit tier jobs as their calling in life (because I wanted to be a dental assistant when I grew up!). What you need to understand also, is, you're nothing special until you decide to change that - and you will have many failures and frustrations. But if you keep pushing through, and in the right direction, you will make it.

Now I know that sounds like reddit tier bullshit, but get motivation and you can do well in most things where social politics aren't necessary. How you get that motivation though, fucked if I know. And brace yourself for more bullshit advice that actually werks: a solid diet and minimal exercise will give you a load of energy to accomplish those things. For some people at least, myself included.
>>
>>47675853
Dont force yourself to learn new things just because it would be a cool "badge" you could wear, if you will. Think to yourself; would learning programming or 3D modelling truly bring you happiness?
>>
>>47675853
Meh.

I know dumb liberal arts majors who poured coffee for years, got tired, and are now really good programmers with great jobs.
>>
>>47675125
Wisest post here. That said, try a couple more of thibgs.
>>
>>47675979
>What I'm saying, is it's never too late to start

I know but the thing is.

When I was still young I didn't care. I could waste the whole day playing a video game without feeling bad. I didn't care I wasn't good in anything because I was young and all the people that were really good in something were all a lot older than me so I didn't compare myself with them.

But now suddenly there are tons of people younger than me and my age that are skilled and successful. That are on of the best at what they are doing. That got a Masters degree from a Top 10 university. At my age I get compared with people like them. People wonder why I am so useless despite being so old. I just feel this pressure on me to try to catch up even though it's not possible.

I try to learn something but I get frustarted when I have to learn basic stuff and do exercises for beginners. I have this desire to create something, to be good at something but I can't find the patience to not rush. When I don't breeze through the learning process and need to repeat an exercise or take my time I get angry at myself because like I said I feel in a rush to catch up to my peers.

There isn't anything you can say really. I know all the mistakes I make I simply lack the willpower to put in effort into something for hours daily without seeing any payoff for at least a year.
>>
>>47675050
No.
>>
>>47676071
>I try to learn something but I get frustarted when I have to learn basic stuff and do exercises for beginners. I have this desire to create something, to be good at something but I can't find the patience to not rush.

Try to focus on the source of this feeling rather than fruitlessly acting on it

I used to feel like this- I tried picking up art or music production or coding or whatever because I thought I had to "create something" so I could make my mark on the world or whatever. Then I realized that these desires were very egoic and in the end it really doesnt matter if I create something or not
>>
>>47676071

I know that feel anon, but you identified the problem - you are going to have to be realistic and understand you will need time to achieve whatever it is you truly want. You simply can't skip the basic fundamentals in any of these, and you certainly should not enter others into your equation of progress at this stage otherwise it'll harm your efforts. You are not competing with anyone, you are trying to get out of your own rut right? Seeing younger people better than you at whatever happens, because of life's circumstances more so than anything. But as we know, unless you are prepared to give 100% effort you can't change that and they will continue to be so until you catch up. It's up to you anon, best of luck.
>>
>>47676256
Youre boxing yourself in for no reason- either you create things or youre a mindless consumer? Thats not right. Again, do some internal investigation and try to uncover the truth behind these feelings- you must accept the idea that your own thoughts and feelings can be wrong.
>>
>>47676256

Yeah you can bitch and whine about it feeling sorry for yourself or whatever and get nowhere, or you can torrent the GNOMON Basic Drawing by Scott Robertson, order in some A3 paper and Faber Castell artistic pens from Amazon for ~£10 and start tomorrow if you want to go that route.
>>
>>47675609
Reading is like a muscle you have to work yourself into. It obviously helps to like or have an interest in what you're reading. I like computers so I read about the hardware and electronics and made little electronic projects.
>>
File: cum_arrow.jpg (603 KB, 1143x857) Image search: [Google]
cum_arrow.jpg
603 KB, 1143x857
Get some hobbies that force you to be outside.
>>
your head is a cage for you brain
will you now go and brake your skull open? no?
then life your happy life in your pretty bird cage.
>>
>>47676357
I read all the time when it comes to my hobbies, but I dont think people count forums, articles, wikis, guides, etc as "reading." Its fictional stories that I cant get into- ive enjoyed a handful of books over the years but theyve all been about super-specific topics that I happen to be into
>>
>>47676390
/o/ pls
>>
>>47676392
>will you now go and brake your skull open? no?
Not literally but im trying to do this in a spiritual sense
>>
>>47676390
>sitting in a car
>outside
/o/ pls
Get a bike
>>
>>47676431
fuck off /n/
nobody likes you
>>
>>47675050
Does anyone get concerned that they spend too much time out of their house, at their "job," looking at shit they hate?
>>
>>47676406

N-no.

>>47676431

It's not exactly "sitting" if you're actively driving, and it's also fun and deadly.
>>
>>47676456
Tell me about it. I work retail so I have to look at a whole bunch of shit filled with sugar and starch that literally causes cancer, heart disease, diabetes, etc etc. Fuck, like thanks America for literally exporting cancer, and thanks to our politicians to allow that sugar/starch cancer to be SOLD for fucking MONEY in my god damn country.
>>
>>47676702
high corn fructose syrup ye-yuh
>>
>>47675120
>tfw I am that guy
I don't know what to do, I don't have friends anymore
>>
>>47675050
Once upon a time some smart faggot said: "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
>>
File: FFLegion..jpg (2 MB, 2820x1850) Image search: [Google]
FFLegion..jpg
2 MB, 2820x1850
Daily reminder that if you aren't doing something you should join the French Foreign Legion
France needs you
>>
>>47677134
>Sleeping side to side with a bunch Algerians and Senegalese in a tent
>Having to use a shitty FAMAS

Yeah no Pierre, i'd even rather join the blue berrets
>>
>>47675050
>Implying there is a "life" out there

Look man, i'm a certified cyborg, has tried all flavors of "life", and i can tell you that the hypest most real shit right now is living in and through the interwebs.
People who are just using it for communication means are wasting a hugely great time for
humanity. They will regret it after its ruined, when someone big comes out of the interwebz (prolly a 'baiting' rapper) and they realize people were having all this strange new kind of fun, and now is dead, but forever in culture..."Oh! What would i give to have shitposted on 4chan in the 10s!"
>>
as long as you're happy. I play competitive smash bros for GameCube, so it requires me to go out and be social. I reguarly go to the local skatepark a few times a week. But other than that, most of my time is spent alone writing music, programming, anime/manga, online vidja, 4chan, etc. I think I enjoy staying inside more, but I at least try to be a normie
>>
>>47677134
At least the hats are white to make the surrendering process quicker.
>>
>>47675050
>pretty bird cage
"go outside & play!" for adults, which boils down to "my view of how to live your life > *"
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.