[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It's over. Japanese Fliphone are finished From the sou
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7
File: Filphone.jpg (16 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Filphone.jpg
16 KB, 500x375
It's over. Japanese Fliphone are finished

From the source:
http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXLASDZ21H8H_T20C15A4MM8000/?dg=1
>パナソニックなど日本の携帯端末メーカーが独自の基本ソフト(OS)を載せた従来型携帯電話、通称「ガラケー」の生産を2017年以降に中止する。スマートフォン(スマホ)の普及が進み、ほぼ日本だけで通用する従来型携帯は開発が重荷になっていた。コスト削減のため、開発する全端末のOSをスマホの標準である米グーグルのアンドロイドに統一する。日本がかつてけん引した従来型携帯の基幹技術がその役割を終える。
>[Translation]The conventional mobile device loaded with basic OS, known as "Garake-" or in /g/ term, fliphone manufactured by Japanese phone manufacturer Panasonic and other, will ceased production beyond years 2017. Within the peak of smartphone trend, the development of fliphone aimed at Japan market had been a heavy burden. To save cost, OS of all mobile device manufactured by Japanese mobile manufacturer will be standardize to Google's Android OS. The fundamental technology of conventional mobile device once leaded by Japan will end it's role.
>>
http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Trends/Japanese-companies-to-stop-making-Galapagos-phones
>>
a shame
>>
Is there any reason why fliphones can't run Android?
>>
>>47670462
Damn.
They figured out how to make flip phones look classy.
>>
I've never liked flip phones.
>>
File: sharp-android-flip-smartphone.jpg (192 KB, 1000x1013) Image search: [Google]
sharp-android-flip-smartphone.jpg
192 KB, 1000x1013
>>47670509
they can
>>
>>47670593
oh god i want this so bad
can I just import that and get it to work with a GSM carrier?
>>
>>47670593
>Import

I doubt it. All phone in Japan are carrier-locked and phone had to be unlocked by respective carrier with a unlocking fee of $50. Before that certain condition had to met before unlocking like in contract with the carrier for certain amount of time.

If the seller sell unlocked phone of this model outside Japan you are lucky.
>>
>>47670651
Sorry meant for this >>47670614
>>
>>47670593
It supports any android apps or only specific apps? I see YT for one.
>>
>>47670499

according to that, the only thing that will cease to exist is the custom OS that flip phones run. it says flip-phones will be made, but will come with android.

well this is natural, no one would develop a custom feature phone os, because of "muh profits" and "muh R&D costs". they will slap some android and it will be done.
>>
File: tumblr_lmuurghZ6o1qeitya.jpg (107 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lmuurghZ6o1qeitya.jpg
107 KB, 500x375
>>47670593
>>
File: Sharp-Aquos.png (214 KB, 507x320) Image search: [Google]
Sharp-Aquos.png
214 KB, 507x320
>>47670593
Can it rotate the screen like this? Looks like a more recent model.
>>
>>47670670
It's got YouTube and GMail, therefore Google Play Services, therefore the whole enchilada. The only question mark is root and custom ROM support.
>>
>>47670780
I don't think so, it flips like that hybrid laptop
open. as in, flip the phone open, turn the screen 180 degrees and flip it back closed.

that it can be 90 degrees turned is an another model

either have the 180 degrees turn to make is 1 solid screen phone, or have it turn 90 degrees like a widescreen.

>btw, nice deleted post m80

I wish I could buy these phone more easily, if anyone knows where I can buy those without much costs, I'm in europe (holland)
>>
I wish flip phones were popular in the west.
>>
They were always shit anyway.

Fucking weeaboos. Go away.
>>
>>47670871
They were
>>
I admit they look cool but I also find them kinda pointless. One doesn't really need a physical keyboard to type a number. A flip phone with a laptop like horizontal flip with a QWERTY keyboard would be more useful.
>>
>>47670871
Everyone had a razr v3 10 years ago
>>
>>47670967
>razr v3
oh my god, I had this one
still have it somewhere in one of my drawers

I could put one 3,7 mb mp3 file on it via bluetooth
>>
>>47670916
There's been a few of those at the beginning of Android and before that. I still don't know why they dropped it, clicking for text input in the phone browser and having the keyboard cover most of the screen is not fun. These days the manufacturers are trying to one up each other in the dumbest of shit like the thinnest phone, highest PPI, "premium" materials for chassis which usually means some stupid fragile shit like glass. I just want a decent recent smartphone with a nice qwerty keyboard.
>>
>>47670822
True.. many apps need root to work.

>>47670825
>btw, nice deleted post m80
kek I guessed from the file name later it could be the same model so there was no point in asking, though I wish this new version would rotate like that, I personally hate that new phones require both hands to write at 90° so to me that model with rotating screen looks comfy as fuck, I can totally type much faster too with that keyboard's feedback.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-04-24-13-19-57.png (259 KB, 800x443) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-04-24-13-19-57.png
259 KB, 800x443
>>47671006
>and having the keyboard cover most of the screen is not fun.
>>
>>47671059
what keyboard is that?
>>
>>47670593
I've got one sitting on my desk. It's rubbish, and damn near impossible to unlock or put a custom ROM on.
>>
>>47670593
https://youtu.be/3DdeFoub71c

Indeed, it can
>>
>>47670593
Shit, ,give me that but in a sliding enclosure and I am sold from now to eternity!
>>
I'd kill for a flip phone that didn't require 9000 hours to get working on the local communication standards
>>
>>47671900
One that thinks having visual bumps are needed, like apples F and J key notches.
>>
love how messy these Asian websites look like
>>
>>47670514
Japanese flip phones have always been something else.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0f3hGYW4R4

>Uploaded on Nov 1, 2007
>They can already watch TV from their flip phone in 2007
>>
>>47674849
Was possible here already in 2006. It wasn't very successful though.
>>
They'll stop making "Galapagos phones", dumbphones (that aren't very dumb) which uses proprietary OS, Japan-exclusive technologies and standards, and shit like that.

There's still a bunch of Android flip phones being released every now and then, I don't think that form is dying, clamshell design still have many fans in Japan.
>>
>>47675982
>>47670871

Flip phones arent popular in US because everyone likes the slim or candybar formfactor, it fits in the pocmet.and you can pull it out and awnser a phone call without opening the top of the phone
>>
>>47676078
But they're also bigger and more fragile.

They're not popular in the West because people don't care. Though to be honest, I'm sure some people would buy it. It's a niche but it exists.
>>
>>47674849
I remember watching TV on a phone that wasnt even 3G so...
>>
>>47676137
>But they're also bigger and more fragile.
Like hell. All of the clamshells I've owned - mostly entry-level models because I was a teenager - were fucking bulletproof and took up less real estate in my pocket than smartphones I've owned since.
>>
>>47671900
it's the GO key board, save your time it's shit.
>>
>>47674849
3g networks? daaaaaaaaaaaaaayum
>>
>>47675935
>4:3 screen
>wide view
>>
I love clamshell designs, I have a flip phone in my bag in case my smart phone ever dies.
But the issue I find with clamshell phones is how they use the numpad for a keyboard and that slows your typing down a considerable fuck tonne amount which just wastes time.

I wanted to get an LG Lollipop phone, but the fucking numpad keyboard.
>>
>>47677201
Use T9 text prediction. Works like a charm.
>>
WHO THE FUCK CARES
FUCKING NECKBEARDS
>>
>>47670462
So can we all agree that Appleshit has killed good phone design for real now?
>>
File: 1350785184818[1].jpg (70 KB, 686x329) Image search: [Google]
1350785184818[1].jpg
70 KB, 686x329
>>47677290
No, smart phones did.
>>
>>47677319
Why do people buy and condone these things? Don't they make calls on their phones anymore?
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.