[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
There is no reason whatsoever to use Windows in 2015, so why
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 20
There is no reason whatsoever to use Windows in 2015, so why do people insist on using it?
>m-muh Office
LibreOffice is better.
>it just werks
No, most of the time Windows is less stable than GNU/Linux.
>m-muh games
Windows has GNU/Linux beat here, but that is changing fast.
>m-muh AD
There are many free software alternatives.
>>
>>47628597
>LibreOffice is better.
>LibreOffice better.
>better.
>>
>>47628624
Well, it is. There's not much more to it than that.
>>
>>47628597
None of these are true and you know it.
>>
>>47628597
Some of us need muh Adobe for work.
>>
>>47628647
Functionality wise, sure. The interface is stuck in the 1990s, and it's hard to figure out.

Whoever designed it said "fuck it, let's make everything look as far from native as possible".

That's what's stopping people from using it. Microsoft know there's no competition while this is still the case.
>>
>>47628925
This.
>>
>>47628597
Cheapest cloud storage around, plus you can mount it with FUSE, plus you get Office 365, plus you get 60 minutes of skype calling per month international, all for just $70 per year.

Combine this with a Vultre or a CloudAtCost VPS purchased for life at $35 and you're fly.
>>
LibreOffice was a piece of shit back when it was StarOffice, and it's only gotten worse since.

8/8 took that b8
>>
File: 1409432180745.gif (559 KB, 400x276) Image search: [Google]
1409432180745.gif
559 KB, 400x276
>>47628597
>LibreOffice is better.
>free alternatives to AD
>HEY, YOU DON'T NEED TO USE WINDOWS IN A CORPORATE ENVIRONMENT - JUST LOOK AT ALL THESE ALTERNATIVES TO AD AND EXCHANGE. SURE THEY'RE ALL COMPLETE SHIT BUT THEY'RE FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
>>
>>47628925
>>47628597
>>47629043
I need to use Adobe Photoshop and Adobe After Effects for my job. If Adobe ports that shit to Linux (won't happen though) I'll uninstall Windows in a hearbeat. Otherwise fuck off.
>>
>>47628930
>native
Can people stop using this word? It doesn't mean anything.
>>
Most people don't want to switch to linux because they don't want to be associated with you fedora wielding autists
>>
>>47628597

There isn't really anything that can replace a full AD deployment with everything it offers.
>>
You don't have to go through each individual piece/type of software. Linux is better than Windows in every single aspect except running software made for Windows and not Linux. That's all you need to say.

This is a problem with the third-party developers only supporting Windows, not Linux. The only thing that needs to be done to change this is for more people to use Linux. It's not a technical problem, but a social one.
>>
>>47628597
Such a weak troll.
>>
>>47629139
It means exactly what it needs to- in this case, Libre's design doesn't match the distro. In the same way Google's material design apps look weird on iOS, they haven't bothered to make sure that their cross-platform applications feel like the rest of them on the device.
>>
>>47628597
I've just spent six hours wrangling with Writer and Calc, trying to get it to write a pretty basic report with some graphs. It crashed several times. Tried to lose data on two occasions (fortunately, I have backups). My equations are malformatted and pictures are in the wrong place when I save and reopen.

It is a piece of shit. I'm going back to office 2013. It can even edit PDF now.
>>
>>47629195
this is what freetards actually believe
>>
>>47629184
LDAP
Standard Unix base system and permissions

You are literally a Microsoft shill supporting pure cancer. If it was up to you, the web would still have shit like ActiveX everywhere.
>>
>>47628597
>libreoffice is better
its not even good, never mind better
fag
>>
>>47628597
>There is no reason whatsoever to use Windows in 2015,

photoshop doesn't work on Linux
>b-b-but GIMP is just as good!
No it is not
>>
>>47629139

Actually, if you develop software (which, seeing as how you're on /g/, you don't), then this word does mean something. So stop telling people what to do, thanks.
>>
>>47629139
>It doesn't mean anything.
Just because you're retarded doesn't mean that word means nothing. It just means you're retarded.
>>
File: 2006-02-05-13707.png (254 KB, 1620x1875) Image search: [Google]
2006-02-05-13707.png
254 KB, 1620x1875
>>47628597
>m-muh games
>Windows has GNU/Linux beat here, but that is changing fast.
Newer games are more likely to support linux due to steam. However that does not affect non-steam games, both newer and older ones. So there's nothing changing at all, unless wine steps the fuck up.
>LibreOffice is better.
At least use OpenOffice you dense fuck.
>it just werks
Windows does that. Linux is debatable.
>>
>>47629254
I prefer GIMP.

>>47629238
There's no such thing as a good office suite.

LibreOffice is just as good as Microsoft Office. Please don't confuse Microsoft Office messing up interoperability of formats for being a fault in LibreOffice.
>>
>>47629235
>I have no idea what I'm talking about!
Yeah you can replace AD with slapd if you aren't actually using any functionality
>>
>>47629276
GIMP's UI is shit imo.
>>
Should have mentioned Wine you faggot, but otherwise okay, 7/10
>>
>2015
>using windows or linux
>not using OSX
scrubs, all of you
>>
>>47628597

>There is no reason whatsoever to use Windows in 2015, so why do people insist on using it?

lol this should be fun

>>m-muh Office
>LibreOffice is better.

But Office is the industry standard. Try walking into almost any establishment in the world and saying 'Do you mind if I use LibreOffice?'. You'll be greeted with a round of blank stares and a resounding 'You must use MS Office'.

>>it just werks
>No, most of the time Windows is less stable than GNU/Linux.

Most people don't have a fucking clue how to use Linux. Most people don't care to learn. Windows is what they've been brought up with and they don't want to learn something new when what they have does the job.

>>m-muh games

It'll take a long time, if ever, for Linux to be a viable alternative as a serious gaming platform.

>>m-muh AD
>There are many free software alternatives.

Who cares?
>>
>>47628597
>>m-muh games

And has been for the last 14 or so years, but here we are, still, in the year of desktop linux, like some fucking shitty purgatory.
>>
>>47629214
>>47629256
>>47629257
Confirmed retards
>>
>>47629333
>using vile cancer promoted by mindless sheep
No thanks, I'd rather kiss Stallman's hairy ass.
>>
>>47628597

>*Looks at taskbar*
>There are literally zero free alternatives that are better than any of these programmes
>Continue on with my day, now aware OP is indeed a retard.
>>
File: 1429272869125.jpg (190 KB, 1252x1252) Image search: [Google]
1429272869125.jpg
190 KB, 1252x1252
>>47628597
For once, OP delivers.
>>
>>47628930
It looks like the older Word 2003. Perhaps they will update the interface, but they are doing it for free. Microsoft pays their workers to hurry up. Libreoffice is free and nonprofit.
>>
File: !normal.png (291 KB, 460x264) Image search: [Google]
!normal.png
291 KB, 460x264
>>47628597
this entire thread is ignoring the most obvious answer.

every god damn business in the world is using windows. they are using outlook for their entire coordination and meetings. they have employees who never touched a linux system in their life and will most likely not be good enough to ever learn how to use it.

the fact is that (right now) gnu/linux is a shit option for most businesses. unless you are gaming in your spare time there are few reasons not to use a gnu/linux system (video editing software, photo editing software. that sort of stuff. gimp is shit, so don't even suggest it).

tl;dr: as soon as businesses can switch to linux without utterly destroying their entire internal workings they will do so to save money.
>>
File: stallmanu.jpg (38 KB, 580x346) Image search: [Google]
stallmanu.jpg
38 KB, 580x346
>>47628647
>tfw I realize libreoffice has autocomplete
>ms word doesn't
>>
>>47629121
For the people who can't pay for it (read college students), you better believe we'd use it even if it is shit.
>>
>>47628597
Windows is only unstable if you're a blabbering retard.
>>
My wife needs the adobe suite for work and uses paint tool sai which (being nipponese software) is windows only.
On the other hand I switched from windows to OSX an year ago and did not have particular problems in finding alternatives. I must admit that libre office is utter shit though. Using openoffice at the moment.
>>
>>47629277
>I'm a Microsoft shill supporting pure cancer. I wish ActiveX was still a thing. MS Paint is the best image editor. I only know horrible cancerous shit that I learned in my community college course that taught us about proprietary Microsoft ecosystems. I don't know any other method to accomplish the horribly fucked up things that the fucked up computer systems at my shitty small business do.
>>
>>47629428
I never figured out how to use it.

What I mean is I tried pressing TAB and Enter, then lost interest. It's not a big deal.
>>
>>47629428
>needs an autocomplete on desktop applications
Really? What, you can't spell?
>>
>>47629454

A+ come back, would be convinced again by those arguments.
>>
>>47629478
Autocomplete isn't for spelling retard, it helps to massively increase your typing speed
>>
>>47629405
>they have employees who never touched a linux system in their life and will most likely not be good enough to ever learn how to use it.
s/good/autistic/
>>
>>47629454
Hey freetard, what's the lincucks version of ADFS?
>>
>>47628597
Adobe Creative Suite. I need it for my job, and Linux does not have it. And don't recommend me some open-source freeware bullshit because that is not a replacement for Adobe CS any more than a fleshlight is a replacement for a woman.
>>
>>47628930

Have you seen the most recent office? It looks tacky as fuck.
>>
>>47629503
>retard
confirmed for babby
Having to keep pressing tab would slow my typing speed down. It's great on a mobile device but on a desktop it's useless for anyone but huh, retards.
>>
>>47629556
You realize most shells, like bash, have autocomplete?

If you can't see how this would be a very useful feature for a word processor you need to get the fuck off this board, cunt
>>
>>47629405
Stop with the FUD. Ignoring the fact that a lot of businesses do use Linux, including every company in the fortune 500, businesses could easily switch to Linux systems with no problem. Literally the only problem would be for ones reliant on some horribly designed proprietary legacy application. Some businesses are still reliant on Windows 9x and XP because of this, not just "Windows". Businesses fucked up if they got stuck with shit like that in the first place.

>there are few reasons not to use a gnu/linux system (video editing software

Many professional movies were made with Linux workstations and/or renderfarms. Have you ever heard of Nuke?

You've most likely seen many movies made on Linux.
>>
>>47629572
LibreOffice is not an IDE or a shell.
>>
File: 1429284202207.jpg (168 KB, 576x764) Image search: [Google]
1429284202207.jpg
168 KB, 576x764
>>47628597
>Having to make it a part time job to micromanage the OS.
>Dealing with emulators and virtual machines to use work related software.

Nope.
>>
>>47629610
Word processing and IDEs, as well as shells, have extremely similar functionality

Honestly I think you're just a cunt
>>
>>47629344
>Windows is what they've been brought up with and they don't want to learn something new when what they have does the job
So, baby duck syndrome?
>>
>>47629580
>all my moneys come from autismbux
Nothing like NEETs talking about the world outside they're moms basement
>>
Does Linux have NVMe support? No? I'll stick to Windows.
>>
>>47629617
Joke is on you, Tesla is open source.
>>
>>47629668
From Wikipedia:
>Intel published an NVM Express driver for Linux. It was merged into the Linux kernel mainline on 19 March 2012, with the release of version 3.3 of the Linux kernel
>>
>>47629527
Entering a username and password, perhaps supplemented by a password manager.

Kerberos.

Key based authentication.
>>
>>47629664
>they're

>>47629617
>>47629692
That picture is ironic because Tesla cars run on Linux.
>>
>>47629715
Around the same time as Windows then. Cool that it's baked in (unlike Windows 7).
>>
>>47628597
>There's no reason to use Windows!
>Proceeds to list reasons why one should still use Windows
>>
>>47629736
>entering a user name and password
40 keks
>kerberos
40^2 keks
>key based authentication
why can't i hold all these keks

So what you're saying is it's 1994 in pedofreedumbganooland
>>
>>47629438
Good thing he wasn't talking about college students.

There is no alternative in the corporate environment. Normal lusers are resistant to any change whatsoever. Migrating from XP to 7 was a nightmare and it's essentially the same Windows besides a few functionality differences.

Microsoft won in the business world, there's no way around it.
>>
>>47629135
>Linux
>>47629158
>linux
>>47629195
>Linux
>>47629254
>Linux
>>47629263
>Linux
>>47629333
>linux
>>47629344
>Linux
>>47629360
>linux
>>47629533
>Linux
>>47629580
>Linux
>>47629668
>Linux

It's GNU/Linux.
>>
>>47629533
Perfectly acceptable, I'd use OS X over Windows any day. It's a real Unix derivative that has proprietary software for people who have a real job.
>>
ITT: OP is too retarded to see why not everyone wants to have their OS break every other update - assuming it ever worked.
>>
>>47629790
As far as I remember, most Windows drivers must be installed from a 3rd-party (manufacturer, etc)
>>
>>47629254
Try Krita instead of Gimp.
>>
>>47629822
I could literally told you anything and you would have just said "kek" to it.

So what you're saying is you're retarded?
>>
>>47629864
Not all. USB is baked in post Windows 8. Same for network. And NVMe.
>>
>>47629860
>mfw my Ubuntu install hasn't broken since install over 2 years ago
As long as you aren't retarded and using a sane distro such as Debian, Ubuntu, or OpenSUSE and not some LOLMINIMALXDDD shit like Arch, you're fine.
>>
>>47629851
As if I'd touch anything made by Apple. I built a Windows machine for Creative Suite and games. I used to use Apple but I quickly grew frustrated with how walled-off it was. Windows is more walled-off than GNU, but it's at least more usable for me than OS X.
>>
>>47629662
It doesn't matter what you call it, the CEO, President, and VP of Finance aren't switching to any other platform but Windows besides maybe Apple but that's even less cost-effective.

You can't shame these people, because they make way more money than you.
>>
>>47629580
>every company in the fortune 500
gonna need a citation for that bud
>>
>>47629875
>he's really that freetarded
Different logins for every fucking computer you access is luddite bullshit
Kerberos doesn't work across different security zones
Keys are the same fucking thing as multiple logins

10/10 got me to respond
>>
>>47629944
At least one asshole at each of those companies has a samshit phone, and he's counting that as "using looonecks"
>>
>>47629836
Nope.

It's GNU/Linux/Linux installment

For example:

'Hey guys, what do you think about GNU/Linux/Ubuntu?'
>>
>>47629135
>>47628925
Buy a Mac.
>>
Is there a good replacement to outlook?
I need a offline calendar with sync support with caldav and exchange and built in mail so I can send invites to activities in the calendar.
Is this possible on gnu + linux?
>>
Congratulations OP, this is the best kind of bait.

guaranteed_replies.png
>>
>>47630042
A mac doesn't fit into a AD environment easily either.

We have a few at my work and they don't quite fit in well, unless you get a mac server which we aren't doing for the 2 people that use them.
>>
>>47630054
Literally any other mail server.
>>
>>47630085
Why are you using AD? Just add important users to your wheel group.
>>
Visual Studio. Making apps for rich fags
>>
>>47630091
I don't mean the mail server. I mean the desktop application that gives me a sane overview of my calendar.
>>
>>47630132
Literally any other mail client?
>>
>>47630110
What language? Eclipse is a nice IDE.
>>
>>47628597
>gaming on linugs
>horrible stuttering
No thanks freetard
>>
>>47630104
Because that's the environment that most businesses use.
>>
>>47630147
>Eclipse is a nice IDE
Eclipse is the LibreOffice of IDEs
>>
>LibreOffice is better.
LibreOffice is inferior. It doesn't handle Office documents as well as Office. Office documents shouldn't be the standard, but they are and we have to live with that. The UI is also somehow worse than Office's.

Of course, Office sucks, too. It's not powerful enough for serious work and is too bloated for simple work. It's better to use a simple tool, like AbiWord, to do simple tasks and use a truly powerful tool, like LaTeX, to do complex tasks.

>No, most of the time Windows is less stable than GNU/Linux.
It is less stable, but there is much better driver support and all software supports Windows.

You can't watch Netflix on most Linux distros without considerable setup. The system is better, but for people who just want to get on the Internet or edit a few documents it's hard.
>>
>>47630167
On a city level.
>>
>>47630054
KDE Kleopatra to authenticate, KCalendar for calendar, and then your choice of mail client. Otherwise, use a web frontend in firefox, then use mozplugger or whatever that plugin is called to write a script that is executed on exchange-related links that loads your mail system.

I dunno how exactly to do either. The former is easy with google calendar. Perhaps someone has already prepared kde for ms office.

The way i plan to do it is to use mozplugger to pre-load a parameter-driven email message in mutt in a new urxvt terminal. Yes i am somewhat odd, but this is fastest. If you need html, then there are web-based options, aren't there?
>>
>>47628597
>stability
Windows only crashes if you're an absolute idiot that installs just anything. Linux distros like ubuntu literally crash themselves upon updating a fresh install. I've had to reinstall freshly installed, vanilla, unmodified ubuntu on my laptop so fucking many times I got tired of and it and used Lubuntu. Tonight I updated it, and guess what? One error after another, despite the system being pretty much vanilla. But sure, keep thinking Windows is "unstable", you tard. I've seen both worlds and I can summarize it like this: Linux has a technically better system, with that nice package management with dependencies and all that, but Windows has the better software offer. You can find anything you want in any flavor you can think of on Windows. Good luck finding a decent program for niche uses on Linux without resorting to text-mode apps and fucking CLI.
>>
>>47630208
Wow, you literally switched the words Windows and Ubuntu.
>>
>>47630152

Stuttering isn't an inherent problem with the system. The problem is bad ports and bad drivers. Some games get perfectly fine performance.
>>
>>47630183
>Netflix
Disgusting YIFY quality shit.

I agree with you on AbiWord and LaTeX, though.
>>
>>47630208
*niche uses or just generally good quality

>>47630227
How about no.
>>
>>47629909
Really? Why don't you like OS X usability? Windows is a complete design mess and I didn't even try anything past 7...
>>
>>47630208
I use mint and it has never crashed on me. Maybe your hardware is just unsupported.
>>
>>47630145
I guess you could use the Thunderbird plugin and rewrite some CSS for it once a week but isn't there some good calendar software on linux?
>>
>>47630208
I can 100% garuantee your problems are due to PEBKAC, not the system or it's hardware.
>>
>>47630274
OS X is an OS for retards. I can't even adjust the volume for individual programs without installing an extra application, because apparently that's not a feature that stupid people need.
>>
>>47630208
Retards who have used Bash so much that they fix errors in their sleep will tell you you are wrong and Linux is wonderful, but you're 100% right
>>
I've literally turned in class assignments done in libroffice and gotten points deducted for having incomprehensible page formatting and even fonts not rendering. Fuck that shit MS office doesn't like reading libroffice documents and that is why it will never be good
>>
>>47630186

Is this some new /g/ maymay? I've seen lots of people saying "on a city level" recently.

>>47630208

>fucking CLI

Fuck off, Windows babby. Lots of tasks are ideally-suited to a CLI, like heavy file management. Would you rather write two lines of bash or download some huge, unwieldy GUI utility to complete simple tasks?

Learn to use the CLI and you can do things you couldn't dream of doing on Windows.
>>
>>47630297
DAViCal or Radicale, maybe?

>>47630326
Why didn't you export to PDF first? Were you required to use .docx?
>>
>>47630328
Yeah I don't know what he meant either I just didn't respond.
>>
Arcmap
>inb4 qgis
qgis a shit, gis takes enough time as is to deal with delusional freetards
>>
>>47630297
>implying neets have schedules to keep
its nothing but watching 10bit chinee cartoons and jerking it
>>
>>47630280
It's not unsupported, shit just breaks itself. Every update again it complains about package shit I never touched being corrupted, and similar things.

>>47630302
Yeah, because as a programmer and no-life computer wizard I'm stupid enough to make common normie mistakes. I can also somehow fuck up a Linux system by just installing it and then not touching it anymore.

>>47630328
Hmm, let's see.. Right-click > untar here vs "tar -xUvc 52 out" or some shit... I think I'll prefer GUI.
>>
Why do you care what other people use OP?
>>
>>47630183
>Netflix
You can either install botnet chrome and have it work right away or install pipelight on Firefox and take the solution that requires less resources on your system. I have watched Netflix on linux the past 3 years without much Trouble.
>>
>>47628597
>LibreOffice is better

How about I slap your shit? You obviously don't work or do anything useful with your life if not your would know how wrong you are.

Simple thing like having individual formatting and margins for each page isolated is not possible, printing slide handouts is a nightmare and this is just the beginning.
>>
>>47630376
>Every update again it complains about package shit I never touched being corrupted, and similar things ... I can also somehow fuck up a Linux system by just installing it and then not touching it anymore.

Today, in "shit that never happened".
>>
>>47630328
>Learn to use the CLI and you can do things you couldn't dream of doing on Windows.

There's Powershell which is great. Also, there's no need to learn how to use it just to have a functional OS, unlike Linux.
>>
>>47630376
It's a mystery. It works flawlessly on my 8 year old dell laptop.

Excuse me if I have trouble believing you.
>>
>>47630394
I want to free them of M$'s oppresive regime.

>>47630423
>PowerShell
Sorry, but the syntax is absolute garbage. Also, you don't _need_ to know bash/sh to use GNU/Linux.
>>
>>47629867
In real life, we are trained to use commercial closed source software and so do our peers, so our network or community of colleagues all use closed source, that effectively isolates you as the only shitfaced faggot trying to be a special snowflake by using a retarded alternative that is neither compatible nor has the features necessary to get the job done.

It is in its essence, purest form of autism.
>>
>>47630423
You can do pretty much everything without the CLI these days on many distros.

Your thinking is stuck in the 90s somewhere.
>>
>>47630418
Come over here and fucking see for yourself then. Just tonight I updated Lubuntu and it gave me about 10 of those popups about packages not being in a valid state or something. I stopped caring what the message said after the 5th time.
>>
>>47630246

Netflix is poor quality, but it has a few advantages:

1. It's legal. There's no risk of getting letters from your ISP, content producers get their support, and anyone who doesn't feel comfortable pirating can use it.
2. It's convenient. You can have all your videos on all your devices.
3. It's easy to use. My grandmother can use Netflix. Tell her to torrent her movies and she'll download unwatchable quality and get caught by her ISP in an hour.
4. It offers recommendations.

I don't use Netflix, but it's great for many people. They wouldn't want an OS that means they can't use it.

And nowadays Netflix is offering original programming, so any pirated version would just be ripped from Netflix and would be identical in quality.
>>
There is literally no reason to switch to Linux.

I have everything I need and want on Windows.

So basically I'd have to:
>re-install 50 OSs to find which distro of Linux I like.
>learn a shitty OS when I already know Windows like the back of my hand
>Try to find a replacement for every program I have. (Which I'm sure Linux doesn't have Visual Studio)
>If I can't find anything I have to setup Wine

All of this, and I'd be exactly where I am with Windows.
At least I could dawn a Fedora and act like a hacker though :^)
>>
>>47630451
>Also, you don't _need_ to know bash/sh to use GNU/Linux.
Wrong, it breaks so often you need to know your way around it.
>>
>>47630451
github.com/dotnet

Sure is oppressive in here
>>
>>47630328
It's gonna be.
>>
>>47630465
Why not take a screenshot?
>>
>>47630469
>netflix will never offer a service where you crowdfund content licenses
>>
>>47630493
The update's done now. I'll let you know in a couple of months when I care to boot it up again because I maybe need gparted, and I have to install more updates.
>>
>>47630474
No it doesn't.

Again, you are stuck in the 90s. Common distros don't break very often at all. If your hardware is unsupported though, there isn't much you can do except try to create the support yourself.

If it is supported, everything works OOTB and rarely breaks for no discernible reason.
>>
>>47630493
Because Linux cannot into printscreen button, you need a special package just to screenshot your desktop.

Fuck lol
>>
>>47630530
Mint does, I hit printscreen on my laptop and it takes a screenshot.

Christ are these threads just FUD or what?
>>
>>47630530

You're a moron. I know of exactly one OS that can't use printscreen buttons, and that's OS X.

Pic related. Just took it with my print screen button.
>>
>>47630527
I'm stuck in the 00s, at most. I just stopped caring about Linux after 2008.

I kinda like KDE though.
>>
>>47630530
Protip: Windows also uses a separate program to screenshot your desktop, only you're not allowed to see Windows' source code so you wouldn't see it.
>>
>>47630523
Should be in the history.log in /var/log/apt, not sure if it shows errors though.
>>
>>47629403
So you're excusing them because they provide free and nonprofit software?

All consumers care about is quality, and getting the best product.

The world could care less if every one of those Libreoffice developers were volunteers, doing it all out of the goodness of their hearts.. As long as they can't make a product that's more impressive than Microsoft office, they will never be able to genuinely compete with them
>>
>>47630310
>OS X is an OS for retards
Can't argue with that
>>
>>47628597
>LibreOffice is better.
It really isn't. It doesn't even really support access transference.
>Windows is less stable
the kernel is, but linux programs break constantly.
>AD
you aren't even trying.

It doesn't fit every usecase yet. get over it.
>>
>>47629836
I don't conform to GNU hippie politics. For me it's Linux.
>>
>>47628925
this
>>
>>47628647
Can't save excel spreadsheets to text tab delimited. Makes it useless for me.
Excel is unsurpassed.
>>
>>47630662
If you have problems with breaky programs, you can always fix it using that freely available source code.
>>
>>47628597
I'm going to fucking kill you you loser
>>
>>47630795
if you are using that as a solution for the average consumer, you will get buttfucked.
>>
>>47630828
The average consumer isn't qualified to complain about breaky software and has no place on a technology board.
>>
>>47630795
>let's respond to a crashing program by pulling in the source code we're absolutely not familiar with and let's just fix it ourselves. Should only take 2 minutes.
I'm so tired of hearing that shit excuse
>>
>>47630827
and here we have the average windows user, a violent psychopath
>>
> LibreOffice is better.

Good one. I don't think there are any office suites that can compete with Ms office except for basic use. A lot of the more powerful features (granted, ones most people won't use) have yet to be replicated in other suites.

The whole reason I bought ms office was to use one note because no other note taking program came anywhere near as close to how good one note is on a tablet pc. That was 5 years ago so maybe ever note is ok now but at the time one note was miles better than anything else.
>>
>>47630863
Why wouldn't you be familiar with the source code? You can read Python, can't you?
>>
photoshop.
>>
File: 1364234564661.gif (2 MB, 263x150) Image search: [Google]
1364234564661.gif
2 MB, 263x150
>>47628597
>LibreOffice is better.
>>
>>47630855
we tell the average consumer what to use.

we can't tell them to use linux.
>>
>>47630886
>Basic use
All you need is GNU nano, friend.
I've recorded 4 years of university chemistry notes in it.
>>
Windows is actually nice. It does take longer to install because you have to find all the drivers and stuff. But once it's ready it's actually a nice DE with propietary software support.
>>
>>47630914
Who's we? You and your Dark as my Souls clan?
>>
>>47630937
>Aero
>Metro
>Nice DE
I vomited all over my Model M.
>>
>hey why don't you use this unfamiliar os that has inferior equivalents to all of your favourite programs?
>>
>>47629836
>Being this autistic
>>
>>47629836
It's GNU/Linux/Xorg/SystemD
>>
>>47631017
>being this newfag to fall for this bait
>>
Ganooo/linoox is good, but sometimes you just get fucking sick of fighting it, and want to focus on the more important task at hand.

For example, when I was running Ubuntu Mate (best distro I've tried, but it's pretty functional so /g/ may not approve) I had to boot into Windows or run a VM to write calculus quizzes in lecture. I tried doing it on a VM once and the math software bitched about it and I had to go to a computer lab to enter the answers later during an office hour. Not really the OS' fault though, the "Pearson Browser Lockdown" is awful, but at the end of the day I'd rather just use windows and get shit done. I run Windows 8.1 now, and it just works and gets shit done. However now that school is over I'm considering going OSX again but we'll see.
>>
>LibreOffice is better

Write perhaps, but last time I used Impress it was a buggy mess.
>>
>>47629405
Do you actually have a job or are you guessing from you're basement? I guess the latter.
>>
File: 1410105163095.jpg (35 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
1410105163095.jpg
35 KB, 450x450
>>47628597
> LibreOffice is better
>>
File: mfw.png (324 KB, 480x471) Image search: [Google]
mfw.png
324 KB, 480x471
I'll bite,

Music production is close to impossible on Linux (at least for me). Sure you can run Ableton or FL Studio in wine or even run a native DAW like Bitwig... but there is practically no support for VSTs. If it wasn't for that I'd never even think of running Windows. That's my take on this whole thing.
>>
>Canadian DoD uses AIX
Allah'u'ackbar.
>>
>but that is changing fast.
>the only thing that can be said of linux gaming is that its happening now, not fast, it's just happening now. It's got a long way to go mate.
>>
>>47628597
>LibreOffice is better.
Confirmed for never having a job.

LibreOffice is great for your book reports.

Stay in school.
>>
So much people pretending they use and need Adobe software.
>>
>>47629448
>>47629448
>uses osx
Hahahahahaah
>libreoffice sucks
>uses OpenOffice
>libreoffice is a fork of openoffice
>>
>>47631263
I would use the word 'fast'.
>>
>>47631236
I'm a network administrator. I write my daily reports using my custom-made template in LibreOffice, then export them to PDF and send them to my boss. We also use Juniper hardware instead of Cisco shit. You mad, proprietaryfag?
>>
>>47631297
>>libreoffice is a fork of openoffice
The other way around.
>>
>>47631439

No.
>>
>>47628597
>LibreOffice is better
stopped reading there
>>
>>47629223
>equations
Try out latex
>>
>>47631568
If he had trouble with basic tasks on LO he can't handle Latex. Let the retards try to make ecuations on Word,
>>
>Not using FreeBSD exclusively
Plebs.
>>
>>47628597
What a dumb freetard, Office is on another level, if you write 2 pages reports then fine but don't spead bullshit, Try to make Calc as usable as Excel and compatible with VBA code.
>>
>>47631568

Yup. I have absolutely no idea why these people are fighting over which terrible program is the least terrible.

LaTeX is the ONLY tool that costs under $1000 and allows half-decent typesetting of equations. It also has far better formatting. Any sort of serious typesetting done in Word will look amateurish. End of story.
>>
>>47630042
Shills pls.
>>
>>47631653

LaTeX isn't difficult to use. You have to learn the syntax and memorize some commands, but that's trivial for anyone with programming experience and easy even for people with no experience. And once you learn that you're set, because the behavior is logical and consistent rather than the incoherent mess that is Word.

You can also get tools which make it even easier to learn, like Lyx. With Lyx, you can get a simple GUI interface for making equations.
>>
>>47628930
>hard to figure out
If your IQ is below 100, sure.
>>
>>47628597
>OSX
Shit, it's basically an OS for monkeys who want everything laid out in front of them in a sub-par system because they're too stupid to spend 5 minutes learning.

>Linux
Computer use becomes a job. This negates the purpose of the computer.

Wangblows is only less stable or less safe if there's a shit update (once in a blue moon) or if you a shit.
>>
>>47631887
I agree with you on OSX, but
>Linux
>Computer use becomes a job
This is simply not true.
>>
>>47631887
this is what gamers believe.
>>
>>47628597
Loonix, written by command line users
No wonder the interfaces are so horrible
>>
>>47631981
>MATE, XFCE
>Horrible
No, fuck off.
>>>/v/
>>
Confirmed for being jobless
>photoshop vs gimp
Obviously ps gimp is trash
>libraoffice freedumsbs office vs mc office
freedumbs office looked like it is from 90`s. I never understand why any loonix application lacks nice GUI
>>
>>47632004
They really are. Go away, baby duck.
>>
>>47632109
An application is suited for jobs only if it has "nice" UI.
In that case Matlab has no professional use.
Fuck off.
>>
>>47632126
Compared to what, Metro? Please, Metro looks like a kid made it with pastels and construction paper.
>>
File: linux screenshot.jpg (318 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
linux screenshot.jpg
318 KB, 1600x900
OP is kind of right.

I've been using Linux full time for the past few months, and I get by just fine 95% of the time. The other 5% of the time, I load my Windows virtual machine, like the time I had to print a pamphlet for someone, but their MS Office file didn't load properly in LibreOffice.
>>
>that is changing fast

Linux users have been saying this since 2010. It's not going to happen. I'll continue to dual-boot in the meantime.
>>
>>47632109
>tfw use libreoffice because cuck tier boss won't accept txt files

never work for someone who is not in your field
>>
>>47632146

Matlab does suck. A lot of people need it for work, but it sucks.

>>47632157

Correct solution. There is no reason to use only one OS nowadays. Everyone should have VMs or at least the capability to dual-boot.
>>
>>47632157
>Mint with Cinnamon
>Chinese pork belly
I like you, anon.
>>
>>47628597
>m-muh games
You said it yourself faggot
>>
>>47628597
Linux® and Windows® are both the same shit: same programs, same cult ideology, same evil intentions, same lack of freedom. The only difference is the price tag.
>>
>>47632203
but there is literally nothing i need linux for
>>
>>47632230
>GNU/Linux
>Lack of freedom
>Evil intentions
>Same programs
Good b8, son.

>>47632243
How are you enjoying your kernel-level NSA backdoors? Microsoft didn't tell you about that, did they?
>>
File: hFDwE8n.jpg (16 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
hFDwE8n.jpg
16 KB, 600x600
>>47632230
>>
>>47632189

I never understood this obsession with .docx files. txt is the most compatible format and the best for text. Why do people save two-sentence documents with no formatting as .docx?
>>
>>47632260
i'm having a blast actually
>>
>>47632243

You can do almost everything you can do in Linux with Windows. It's just a matter of how easy it is.
>>
>>47628597
>no reason
>except games
I don't know about you, but that is my main fucking reason.
>>
>All these fucking gaymers
Computers are not for games.
Consoles are for games.
>>
>>47632260
so i should give up functionality to avoid the nsa not hanks
>>
>>47632347
Next thing you're gonna say is that computers are only for spreadsheets. Faggot.
>>
>>47632362
>implying Windows is at all functional
>>
>>47632322
Yeah but I have no need for Linux. At all. Everything I would need to do on Linux I can already do on Windows, plus more.
>>
>>47632369
He's right, and you know it.
>>
>>47632390

>Everything I would need to do on Linux I can already do on Windows

Not in dispute. It's just harder to do and takes longer.

>plus more

Which is why you use a VM or dual-boot.
>>
>>47632347
>computers are not for games
Unix was literally originally written because Thompson & Richtie wanted to play Space War on a PDP-9
>>
>>47632529
That's Space Travel. GNU's Not Unix, anyways.
>>
File: 1391368316119.png (201 KB, 1239x712) Image search: [Google]
1391368316119.png
201 KB, 1239x712
>>47628597
Yes there is now leave me the fuck alone
>>
>>47632615
All my nukioge work fine in a VM.
>>
>>47632649

Yup. VNs are hardly high-tech, so they tend to work just fine. Furthermore, most VN engines were written a long time ago in the XP days. Wine supports older Windows software very well.
>>
The number one reason to use Windows:
Everyone uses it. They don't like it, but they put up with it because it's the standard. Why is it the standard? Because everyone puts up with it.
>>
>>47632716
>Everyone jumps off a bridge and dies, so you should too!

Shill faggot.
>>
>>47632716

I think that's the number one reason NOT to use Windows. How on Earth will we ever ditch this shitty proprietary software unless people take a stand and demand high-quality and free software?
>>
no paintool sai on leenux
>>
>>47632736
I'm not the shill. Windows users are. The only thing keeping windows relevant is the market share, which my boxes are not part of.
I know, Poe's law of sarcasm.>>47632750
Exactly. We need to spread awareness.
>>
>>47632431
>It's just harder to do and takes longer.
Uh, no, Linux is what takes longer and is harder to do.
>>
>>47632842

K. Enjoy your registry and giving admin access to third-party installers.
>>
>>47632863
surely you can do better than that
>>
>>47632879
Enjoy a fresh install every 6 months due to system slowdown.
>>
Okay, without the religious dogma, why use linux /g/? aside from security and open source/free as Linux obviously has windows beat. and is mint a good one to start with?
>>
>>47633003
keep trying bruh
>>
>>47633016
I'd suggest Ubuntu MATE or Fedora. OpenSUSE is good too.
>>
http://betanews.com/2015/02/22/os-x-ios-and-linux-have-more-vulnerabilities-than-windows/
>>
>>47628597
>There is no reason whatsoever to use Windows in 2015
>Windows has GNU/Linux beat here
So what you're saying is, there IS a reason to use Windows in 2015?
>>
>>47628925
then use it at work, not on your own home computer
>>
>>47633218
why bother? freetards can never give a compelling reason other than 'its free'
>>
>>47628597
Being a Linux user since the year 1998, I can say with confidence that Linux is an epic meme.
>>
>>47633277
If you don't understand why GNU/Linux is superior to Windows by simply reading the thread, then you need to rethink your life. By using Windows, you are imprisoning yourself and your computers.
>>
most of the people I know haven't even heard of linux
>>
>>47633357
Since when does that matter? Why do you feel the need to conform to a degenerative society?
>>
>>47629459
LoL, it just werks I've never thought about it at all, I couldn't even tell you what key combo it is or whatever. MS Word really doesn't have this?
>>
>>47629459
>>47633389
All you do is hit enter, how did you fuck that up / give up so easily?
>>
>>47633324
but it isn't
not even close
>>
>>47633427
Yes, it is.

>With proprietary software, the program controls the users, and some other entity (the developer or “owner”) controls the program. So the proprietary program gives its developer power over its users. That is unjust in itself, and tempts the developer to mistreat the users in other ways.

Freedom means having control over your own life. If you use a program to carry out activities in your life, your freedom depends on your having control over the program. You deserve to have control over the programs you use, and all the more so when you use them for something important in your life.

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-even-more-important.html

We must spread the word of GNU/FSF if we intend to help the world lift itself from it's festering depths of delusion.
>>
>>47629836
This is why. We can't even agree on the godamn name.
Also, fuck you, alpine Linux.
Also, fuck you, buy a butter dish.
>>
>>47633459
0/10 bruh
my freedom does not hinge on whether i use some freetard os or not
>>
>>47633478
That's what the federal government wants you to think. Good goy.
>>
>>47632736
If everyone jumped off a bridge, you would be the last human alive, incapable of reproducing or interacting. Why wouldn't you jump off a cliff?
>>
>>47633533
>lol I don't understand analogies
>>
>>47633459
>program is created for a purpose
>you use the program for the purpose
>why won't fruity loops render this video its controlling me
>>
Libreoffice has never opened word documents properly, there is always a major spacing issue somewhere. In a world where everyone uses office I'll use the editor that doesn't fuck up.

Stability is never an issue for me on Windows. Where as Linux breaks after some updates.

Games are a mess in Linux so unless major gains are made in the next year that one is out as well.

Why do I still dual boot Windows? Shit just works.
>>
>>47633562
It's a fucking terrible analogy.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.