[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/g/, how do you justify buying smartphones for over $600 when
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2
File: gsmarena_001.jpg (32 KB, 580x302) Image search: [Google]
gsmarena_001.jpg
32 KB, 580x302
/g/, how do you justify buying smartphones for over $600 when you can sell it for only (if not more than) half the price a year later?
>>
i don't. i buy phones 1-2 years old
>>
Also what's with Android phones having such shit value?

I see $400 Nexus 5s still going around for $200-300 used, but the $600+ Android flagship phones are also going around for the same price.

Is it just that people don't want to buy phones over $300? Did the contract pricing trick people?
>>
>>47620299
>such shit resale value
fixed
>>
>>47620298
At how much?
>>
fuck this is so shitty
I bought a galaxy S5, was doing the verizon EDGE thing, where you pay per month for it.
shit happened in life, had to pay it off 100% because I couldn't afford to keep service, it's cheaper just to pa the phone off, now I need the money and what I paid 600$ for is now not even selling for 200$ and there is nothing wrong with it, hell it's even rooted and custom rom'd but I don't tell people that because they get scared when they see a phone has something they don't know about.
fuck
>>
I buy what I want, I enjoy it, and that's that. If I get half back then that's fine, but it really means money for the next thing I want.
>>
>>47620329
I hope you learned from your mistakes.
>>
>>47620341
I sure as shit did. I'm gonna just keep it because I simply won't buy a new phone for a long time, unless the Ara comes out soon by some miracle, I'd sell my kidney for that.
>>
>>47620299
People don't know worth beyond popularity. A lack of technical knowledge and a hot air yet popular opinion cause people to devalue things for no reason.
>>
>>47620329
>now not even selling for 200$
Seriously? Is it in bad condition? I've searched around for market prices and I thought I saw the Galaxy s5 for $400 or something.
>>
>selling your phones
What. Who does that?
>>
>>47620287
Easy: I don't buy smartphones.
>>
>>47620287
>buying smartphones for over $600

pretty sure my moto g was $45 at walmart m8
>>
>>47620329

Hard life lessons, we all get them.
>>
>>47620361
What's the difference for iPhones?
>>
>>47620362
There's nothing wrong with it, not even small scratches or dents. I've tried craigslist and yeah if I scroll down before the S6 was released, back then they went for 400$ or more, but now it's like nobody wants them.
>>
>>47620360
Verizon is shitty anyway. If you couldn't afford a phone, you sure as shit shouldn't have been paying for their service.
>>
>>47620378
Why don't you try swappa? That's the kind of prices I see on swappa right now... man, for a mint phone you really should be getting more than that.

I'm having a hard time selling my Nexus 5 and xperia z2 too, people on Craigslist lowballing it for $220 and $250 respectively
>>
>>47620391
Did you even read my post, I definitely COULD afford the phone and the service, at the time. shit happened. my apartment burned down new years and all my shit with it, so I literally had only what I packed while visiting my parents, couldn't live down there cause no apartment, lost my job there, shit happens man. I had never had a decent phone before, before that it was a virgin mobile optimus V, and then I got a nice job and was making awesome money so I bought the S5.
>>
>>47620400
hm never heard of swappa, I'll look into it thanks anon
>>
>>47620376
Words. People say words and other people just yes man without knowing anything else. They qualify the source and wear it like a goddamn badge of ignorance honor.
>>
>>47620422
Yeah, it's the official marketplace for xda. It's less jew than selling on eBay for example. Sold a nexus 4 for $290 including shipping on there before
>>
>>47620413
If you could afford it, why was it on a payment plan?
>>
>>47620287
That's why you buy year old broken flagships for cheap, then fix them.
>>
>>47620287
i don't i lease it, i pay $5 a month for the phone and $40 a month for my bill.
>>
>>47620444
Do you actually do this? Where do you find parts?
>>
>>47620444
For which phones? Most of the times it's just not worth repairing it
>>
>>47620448
>leasing and financing means I don't pay for it
Typical American.
>>
>>47620442
because it was on my ex fiances plan and that's how she wanted it setup, my credit is nonexistant so I couldn't even get a plan and she already had one.
>>
>>47620470
>ex fiance
Did she cheat on you? You are just full of bad luck.
>>
>>47620466

i'm essentially renting it for 12 months, i am paying like $60 for the use of a phone. i don't pay for it outright so i don't have to justify paying for it outright which is what the question was.

i never claimed i wasn't paying for it.

typical faggot on the internet.
>>
>>47620495
What company allows you to do this? And what kind of phone did you get out of it?
>>
>>47620482
Well, if you must know we were in an open relationship. But she ended it because her parents really, really didn't like me and wouldn't let her move back in and wouldn't help pay for her college anymore if she stayed with me. So whatever, life goes on and clearly she wasn't the one.
>>
>>47620513
galaxy s6, sprint. it's a loyalty program and i get a corporate rate.
>>
>>47620513
verizon has edge
at&t has their own can't remember what it is
>>
>>47620534
That's a damn good deal.
>>
>>47620513
the fact that it was a promotion is the only reason i decided to do it anyway i will be giving the phone back and going back to my s3 at the end of the term, or buying a used s6
>>
>>47620329
I sold my Verizon S5 and Gear 2 Neo for $550. Given that phone is factory unlocked, easily worth $300-$400 to the right buyer.
>>
>>47620287
I get free upgrades/phone services from work.
>>
>>47620536
Next>>47620536
It's called Next.
>>
>>47620287
Because selling it for half means only paying half as much for my next phone?

Though, I really couldn't tell you because I don't do that. I get my phones on contact because based as fuck Sprint doesn't hide the subsidy fee, they put it right there on the placard under the up front price. Like my G2. $79 plus $11 monthly. (Still less than $400 over the 24 month contract, but with my plan I can turn in my phone after 12 months, upgrade to whatever I want with a credit of $100 for turning in a phone I'm only half way through paying off anyway)

So.. Total loss: initial $79, plus $42 of subsidy ($100 of the subsidy is refunded to me) and I walk away with another $600 phone and never pay the full retail.

Sure, Sprint still wins because they kept me as a customer and they don't pay anywhere near $600 per unit themselves, but I don't feel as anally violated when they're telling me when they're putting it in my butt vs. other carriers hiding in the bushes to jump out and rape me. Though, honestly, I attribute Sprint putting everything in plain English in front of you when signing a contact to them being the only carrier that'll take a chance on Tyrone and Shaniqua, whom likely used the obfuscation of stuff like subsidy costs behind legalese as a method of reneging on their contract. Or in this case, would it be renigging?

YEEEEAAAAHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhh....
>>
>>47620663
Aren't Sprint phones cheaper when compared to GSM phones? CDMA isn't as hot of a commodity.
>>
>>47620685
generally more expensive because of the cdma, most carriers don't use cdma so cdma units are made in less quantity
>>
>>47620287
I buy a sub $200 Zenfone, use it until completely dies which is a couple of years, then I get the newest generation of zenfone for another $200 and I still come out ahead compared to faggots buying $600~1K phones.
>>
File: 1429523869887.png (240 KB, 469x506) Image search: [Google]
1429523869887.png
240 KB, 469x506
>>47620287
Joke's on you, my OPO still has full value even a year later.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.