[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best Gaming Laptop around $1000
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 7
File: lenovoy50.jpg (83 KB, 1200x797) Image search: [Google]
lenovoy50.jpg
83 KB, 1200x797
hey /g/, whats the best laptop for gaming around $1000 USD, give or take a hundred. Currently thinking buying Lenovo Y50 since there seems not to be any good alternatives.
>>
>>47542321
>Lenovo Y50

It's the best choice by far in that price range. Make sure to get it before lenovo puts their new shitty logo on it.
>>
For the love of God, do not get a MSIGE60
I made the mistake of buying one for uni because I was really into gaymen but it turns out it has a 4 hour battery life and the fan turns all the way up if I watch a stream or a youtube video in fullscreen. I ended up buying a chromebook and putting linux on it.
>>
Lenovo has good prices, but I'd be wary after they pulled that superfish adware shit recently.

A friend of mine has a Sager as his gaming laptop and has been happy with it for 3 years now.
>>
>>47542363
>buying msi laptops

serves you right.
>>
>>47542477
It was before I was on /g/
I tried selling it but no one wants it so I am just using it till it dies
>>
>>47542363
Its..., a gaming laptop. Its meant to be plugged in and sitting a top an external cooler.

This is why we make fun of gaymen laptops. They cant cool themselves and use up a ton of power from the extra powerful components
>>
>>47542518
That's where I have it now. It's connected to an external Keyboard, mouse, and monitor with the lid closed. Live and learn I guess.
>>
>>47542420
You will always face these kinds of threats from vendors. Uninstall windows, use the keys to install a bloat striped copy, and download all necessary drivers.

>>47542343
What is their new logo?

y510p here. Great laptop.
>>
>>47542321
Don't buy a gaming laptop, just buy an ultrabook and a gaming desktop
>>
>>47542363
Man, 4 hours is pretty good. Sucks its an MSI though.
>>
My girlfriend has the Y50 and it's powerful but it's totally shit too.

The screen has awful viewing angles and dat 5200rpm drive. Obviously the drive is easily upgradable but the screen is shit unless you angle it perfectly and your eyes. Want to lay in bed and watch TV on it? Good fucking luck.
>>
>>47542321
All Gaming laptop's are for plebs and become desktop replacements since they're really bulky. Build a PC.
>>
>gaming
>laptop
>gaming laptop?

People, take the shutters off your minecraft playing eyes
>>
I'll sell you my Asus G750JS-TS71... Like new condition, comes in box with all papers and such... Plz, I need the money. Luv u.
>>
>>47542546
I second this. Also make that ultrabook a mac and install gentoo
>>
OP, don't want to build a gaming desktop since im going to uni in the fall, also im thinking of replacing the hdd with a ssd, which ssd should i buy? using this laptop for light gaming, league of legends ,GTA V, etc,
>>
>>47542542
You have a gaming laptop. What's it like? Do you enjoy the extra bulk, heat, and cheap plastic design?
>>
>>47542633
Samsung makes the best SSDs, but the 500gb ones are like $400 on a good day, so Id recommend getting an external HDD as well for storing all your school files on. SSDs dont make programs run faster, they really only make them open faster.
>>
>>47542637
Regrets it obviously
>>
>Gaming
>Laptop
>Lenovo
WHEN WILL THE MEMES END
>>
>>47542675
You forgot

>MSI
and
>battery life

literally endless
>>
File: Shit.png (25 KB, 670x532) Image search: [Google]
Shit.png
25 KB, 670x532
>>47542637
The y150p comes with an option for second gpu which would make it a "gaming laptop". With one gpu it can be better classed as multimedia. It is not bulky, the frame/casing is sturdy.

These are the nominal temperature, at max it would go to 70c.

The only problem that I have had thus far is the cache drive dying, and subsequent slow down.
>>
Remember to install Gentoo when you get it.
>>
>>47542321
I have a y5xx something from two or three years ago and it's good enough for me.
>>
Do you travel a lot or something? My friends gaming laptop is basically a desktop replacement. He regrets his choice in not getting a tower
>>
>>47542321
>Gaming
>Laptop
Pick one and only one.
>>
>>47542801
You can gaym on a laptop as long as you avoid the newest AAA shitters and stay at 1080p.
>>
File: 20150415_203612.jpg (2 MB, 2976x2976) Image search: [Google]
20150415_203612.jpg
2 MB, 2976x2976
>>47542321
I have one and have three chief complaints
>shit cooling
I made a desk that had a vent to force air from a box fan into the fans to keep it under 175 while under load
>sharp edges
I rarely use the keyboard on the laptop, but when I do (like when I'm travelling across the country and unwittingly packed my keyboard), the edges of the machine cut right into your wrists
>Track pad is shit
Integral buttons and a shaky pad make it useless

Other than that, I can max out some fag games
>borderlands ps
>bioshock infinite
>payday 2

Inb4 I'm a faggot
>>
>>47542718
Let's try this again. Push down moderately on your keyboard. Is there flex? If yes then this is shit plastic.
>>
>>47542862
I was considering one of these laptops like 2 years ago when I needed a new one, the touch pad and keyboard issues I read about were what turned me off of it since I didnt use a mouse at the time. I thought they were fixed by now.
>>
>>47542889
I'm unaware of what build year mine is, but it's worth it if you want something that can perform and need to move a lot.
I bought it when I was in the military and had to put all of my shit away every day.
>>
File: Plastic.jpg (109 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
Plastic.jpg
109 KB, 1200x800
>>47542863
>Let's try this again.
Nah

>If yes then this is shit plastic.
I think you be well suited for a Mac, I hear it is aluminum or some shit.
>>
>>47542943
I ended up settling on an Asus N56 series. It held up just fine until I got my current, rig, save for the hinges snapping off the base of the laptop from the inside.
>>
>>47543002
That sounds like a problem.
I ran mine through my TV and opened it and closed it a lot. I'll probably feel your pain soon.
>>
>>47543186
Well actually I know exactly why the hinges gave out. It didnt occur to me at the time but whenever I would get tired while watch a movie or something I would lay down and put the laptop on its side. I realize now that it puts more stress on the hinges, but I have a custom desktop now so I really dont care.
>>
File: 20150415_212419.jpg (2 MB, 2976x2976) Image search: [Google]
20150415_212419.jpg
2 MB, 2976x2976
>>47543264
Yeah, that would piss me off about as bad as this bullshit
>>
>>47543408
Oh yea, that was the other thing that went wrong with my Asus. About 2 years after getting it, which keep in mind that is still a full year past the normal warranty, the charger frayed and eventually shorted out at the connector to the laptop. Ended up getting a rocketfish universal that lasted a full 2 months before it went out as well.
>>
>>47543439
Yeah, and the I/O sits pretty high off the desk and looks like it puts a lot of stress on the ports.
I just taped some pennies together and taped them to the cables to keep the cable at the same height.

Inb4 autism
>>
>>47543408
Shut up, anon. I love my y510p, it's brilliant. Except for the battery. Fuck that shit.
>>
>>47543554
You want some autism material?

My PC case is white and blue, my monitor is matte aluminum, my desk is navy blue, my keyboard is brushed black aluminum with red back lightning, and my mouse pad is green,
>>
>>47543588
Ok...
That doesn't negate the fact that the 90 degree power cable is retarded.
>>
>>47543590
Triggered>>47543590
>>
>>47543651
Fair enough. That being said, you're not likely to use it on your lap or off of a desk.

Btw, anon, I fucked up with the 1366x768 screen. Any idea of a cheap 1080p screen I can buy for it?
>>
O
>>
>>47543657
Honestly, I went for performance over looks, save for the monitor, its bezeless and matte colors as sexy as fuck.

I bought the PC used so the case wasnt really my choice, the mouse is a logitech g502 which is pretty much the best mouse available right now. And the keyboard is a Corsair K70, build quality is phenomenal, and it had everything I wanted.
>>
>>47542814
Yeah, you can also "game" on a phone. Gaming laptops are neither good laptops nor good machines to play many games on. There is no need to carry around a computer to play video games everywhere.
>>
>>47543698
I can appreciate that
>>
>>47542321
>gaming
>laptop

Stop this.
>>
>>47543727
Yea, in the future whern I build my own Ill probably get a case to match the keyboard but thats about it.

Forgot to mention my speakers are ebony black wood with a dull gray woofer.
>>
>>47543681
Not my Forte
I use a TV because I didn't have a lot of space for multiple monitors

>meanwhile, I'm the guy who bought the 39" tv for $36 from best buy
>>
File: tf2 engineer IRL.png (192 KB, 283x352) Image search: [Google]
tf2 engineer IRL.png
192 KB, 283x352
It's great laptop, we bought one for the office last year

However make sure you get the 2015 model which has an IPS panel and the Gtx 960m

2014 Model has a very average TN Panel, luckily we got a good LG IPS replacement for about $95~ and replacing it took no more than 10 minutes (no messing with the case required, just pop up the front glossy panel (which is very prone to fingerprints so keep it clean) disconnect the video cable, and remove 4 screws)

Battery life is around 4-5 hour for browsing, if you want to play games make sure it's connected otherwise you'll only get 1 1/2 hours and throttled performance

build quality is great, after almost a year we don't have any lose edges, hinges or serious scratches, we've dropped it a few times as well

There's a bit of a keyboard flex, but it's not really noticeable while typing and in some point helps your fingers when you type too hard

The laptop is quite silent when not gaming, what we thought was the fan was actually the HDD when we changed it for an SSD

the fans are noticeable when gaming, but no louder than a normal desktop computer. After a while it get's warm, not uncomfortably warm as I've used it for hours, but it doesn't feel like touching a cold plastic keyboard. Using a cooling pad on the bottom helps a bit. Even after a long time we didn't have any temperature throttling issues and it handled itself great in games like Metro and BF4 at 1080p

for around ~1000 this is the best option, there is also a acer one, but so far it has mixed reviews, MSI has some similar ones, but for $200~ more, those could also be a good choice depending on their specs, and the razer blade which is way too expensive

the main problem of the Y50 was the monitor, which got fixed on the 2015 version so make sure to get that one, there's a 4K model, but this laptop won't be able to play any games at that resolution and you won't appreciate 4K on a 15" monitor
>>
>>47543737
Holy shit man.
You must burn some retinas when girls walk into your room
>>
>>47543769
Well
Much better than my answer
>>
>>47543776
Last time I brought a girl here I didnt take her to my room, we stayed in the living room. Mainly becasue not everyone can understand why I would have roughly $3000 in electronics in the space of my desk. Especially when my car at the time was only worth $2500.
>>
>>47542862
@4K? Coming from a 755M SLI Y510 and want to avoid Lenovo. Otherwise it was a 4K IPS and I think a 1080p display would look to blurry for me now.

Can the 860M max out Payday @4K?
>>
>>47543810
I kek with you
I was in the same boat until I bought a new car in a color I didn't want
>>
>>47543843
Well now I drive a turbo charged Audi A6 Quattro, 4.2 V8. At this point in life it gets me more bitches than anything.
>>
>>47543830
I wouldn't shell out the cash for the display.

I honestly don't know if they plan on stuffing a 9xxm inside of it (especially if they maintain SLI capacity). If they do, then I would consider it for usage on a monitor, but not strictly for the laptop display.
>>
>>47542321
If you get a Y50, make sure you get one with an IPS display, the TN panel models are awful. Even the IPS displays are pretty bad for color accuracy and contrast, and the backlight is weak in all of them. Also note that the 4K displays are PenTile RGBW, and only have a refresh rate of 48Hz.

or you can just not worry about any of that and replace the display: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/y50-replacement-displays-compendium.755626/
>>
>>47543916
Fuck the 960, I can OC the 860 its the same GPU.

>>47543944
I don't think this thing will run Gsync? And I don't expect it to run BF4 Ultra @4K, medoium settings would be sufficient. I currently play everything on 4K with my desktop 980, it looks so smooth and nice...
>>
All this talk about the y50. How's the y40 compare?
>>
>>47542321
>gaming laptop

BIG fuckin oxymoron at anything under 1500$ imo... it will in reality just be a portable desktop, because it'll drain battery so quick or be so dam heavy that using it off teh charger isnt really feasible
>>
>>47544697

Not even a gaming laptop
Gtx 860m is the minimum to even be classified as a gaming laptop.
>>
>>47544855
I can get the y410p refurbished for around 750. Are there any issues with that model?
>>
>>47543651
>90 degree is retarded
niggawut
>>
The y510 was good but the Y50 sucks dick because of the shitty screen

Get a ASUS GL551 instead
>>
>>47542863
>muh flex
Who cares when you're a gaymur
>>
>>47542321
>Gaymen laptop
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.