[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Apple Appreciation Thead
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (66 KB, 600x530) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66 KB, 600x530
We cuss off Apple users too much for buying computers with their rich money. We should appreciate Apple users more often. I mean there has some good and bad Apple products. Also, Apple computers are accessories in a way. They're not made for tweaking and doing some interesting stuff.
>inb4 neet Lenovo shills and all thread opposition,
>>
File: 1427761962623.jpg (1 MB, 1000x2000) Image search: [Google]
1427761962623.jpg
1 MB, 1000x2000
>>47528438
>for buying computers with their rich money
>>
>>47528489
>>47528503
I SAID
>inb4 any opposition.
>>
>>47528438
>posting from an iphone
having regrets eh?
>>
>>47528438
that would fall flat on it's face immediately
>>
>>47528438
What is that machine? Is it just a holder for an iPad or what?
>>
File: image.jpg (73 KB, 500x666) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73 KB, 500x666
>>47528524
I have no regret for having more girlfriends than you will have waifus.
>>
>>47528538
It looks like an ultrabook set up as a desktop. So all of the drawbacks of an ultraportable with none of the benefits
>>
>>47528559
You spelled boyfriends wrong.
>>
>>47528560
It isn't created for computation stupid. It wasn't created for portability retard. It wasn't created for convenience autist. It was created because people will buy it.

Like those who buy 'mineral' water, the fanbase is retarded, retard.
>>
>>47528559
>immediately responds ad hominem
thought so
>>
RULE 1: YOU DONT OFFEND OP.
>>
>>47528438
>They're not made for tweaking and doing some interesting stuff.
Yeah... I still changed my system font to M+ 1p, though.

More work than I wanted, but it turned out surprisingly well, since you actually have to process the ttf files so they have the same height as the default font.

I think other systems would just try to cram in a font with a problematic height.
>>
>>47528438
Fuck off retard
>>
File: 5858927_orig.jpg (99 KB, 533x800) Image search: [Google]
5858927_orig.jpg
99 KB, 533x800
Anon kun, can I connect to your wifi?
>>
>>47528523
So because you said it means we have to follow it?
>>
>>47528990
はいがるふれんど!
>>
I've actually never met a rich macfag. They're obviously out there or shit like the Apple Watch wouldn't sell, but it's still weird how the stereotype came to be. I think looking at it as objectively as possible, people with lower intelligence and/or tech-illiterates are more likely to get an expensive product hoping that it's better for being expensive.

I don't [completely] hate macfags, though. The ones who buy everything Apple blindly (I legitimately didn't think they were real until I showed this guy the Pebble Time and he just kept gushing over the Apple Watch announcements, and he'd read lines from the Apple website for their new products to me everyday with his eyes all lit up) are pretty insufferable at times, but I don't think using a Mac makes you this sort of person.

I'd like to get out of the way that the trackpads are shit. They're not worse than other trackpads. They're not slightly below average. They're not "pretty bad". They are absolutely positively the worst trackpads I've used in my entire life on ANY machine, and now for some fucking reason they're so popular that other laptop manufacturers are copying them. This is like the stupid "making things thinner for no reason" fad, except this one actually harms me instead of just confusing me.

Part 1/2
>>
>>47529057
Part 2/2

Keyboards are nice. OS is so-so. After reaching enlightenment a couple years ago by fully switching to GNU/Linux, my perspective of Mac OS changed a lot as well. It's a unix-like operating system like the one I'm so used to. SSH works out of the box. It's got vim and nano. It's got man pages for everything. It uses bash in the Terminal. Pretty much every gripe I have with Mac OS now would be solved by switching the DE, if that were even possible. I hate the lack of keyboard shortcut for Terminal and how hacky it is to create one. I hate the lack of super-d equivalent (minimizing everything). I hate the dock. I hate that keyboard shortcuts are randomly different. I hate that the command key is where alt should be instead of where super normally is. I hate how the media keys are the default instead of the function keys. I hate how installing things work, and that binaries are .app files. I hate that the terminal is so bright and unsightly. I hate that updates can require restarts. I hate that it doesn't come with a package manager, but I'm comforted to know that things like brew exist to give it one anyway.

Now that I've expressed my opinion I can leave this thread.

P.S. I use Debian Jessie if you'd like to understand my perspective better.
>>
>>47529046
my sides
>>
>>47529057
>>47529068
This anon gets it
>>47529070
ありがとございます^ー^
>>
File: NotHagrid.png (2 MB, 1060x1060) Image search: [Google]
NotHagrid.png
2 MB, 1060x1060
The ONLY good thing to ever come from apple is being early adopters of technology thats so expensive and unsupported that no sane person is willing to burn money on it so that development of that technology gets increased and prices drop like rocks.
>>
>>47529085
>This anon gets it
Really? It sounds like he never learned to use the OS. And I really don't know what his problem with the trackpads are. I agree they could be more responsive, but the amount of control they give is fantastic.
>>
>>47529057
Opposite here. I generally hate trackpads. But the Apple one, combined with OSX is pretty fucking nice. I'm actually fine using it, and don't feel the need to plug in a mouse. Just as long as I turn off tap-to-click.
>>
>>47529147
Which cheap laptop with a high resolution 16:10 IPS display do you recommend?
>>
>>47529057
>They are absolutely positively the worst trackpads I've used in my entire life on ANY machine, and now for some fucking reason they're so popular that other laptop manufacturers are copying them.

Couldn't disagree more, but everyone's entitled to their opinion I guess. Apple laptops are the first I've used that didn't absolutely need a mouse to be productive on
>>
>>47529068
Sounds like you just hate things that you aren't familiar with. I don't hate any operating system, I just realise that if I stuck with it for a few months, I'd understand how the designer intended it to be used. OSX is great if you give it a chance
>>
>>47529147
So they are like nasa and the other companies are like space-x and virgin
>>
>>47529290
>>47529491
I never plug external mice into laptops, so it matters a lot to me how nice the built in pointing device is. That is why I have unfortunately fallen loyal to ThinkPads. Unfortunate because being a fanboy is never good, and more realistically because Lenovo keeps fucking around with key features that I like.

I can wave my dick around shouting about my magnesium rollcage and how they're the only laptops on the ISS, but what it comes down to is that they're amazing machines to use and the TrackPoint is the best pointing device on any laptop ever.

I am still surprised you don't see them as an option on consumer computers like MacBooks or the Surface. I can never get a laptop without one again.
>>
>>47529518
>Sounds like you just hate things that you aren't familiar with.
No, actually. I believe I stated earlier on that I switched from Windows to GNU/Linux, and they are as different as you can get. I don't have baby duck syndrome in the slightest.

>muh I love everything argument
It's sad when tech-illiterate people come on /g/ and post in the same threads as me. Sad because here I am typing a reply before I realize who I'm talking to.

>OSX is great if you give it a chance
Like I said, most of my issues could be changed if you could switch the DE/WM. The closest I've seen is running X11 on top of Mac OS, and then not all programs work properly within that X11 session. GNU/Linux is all there is for me at the moment. I feel pretty much at home at a Mac OS CLI, but I'm afraid everything is too poorly implemented. I'd go as far as to say Mac OS is the only instance where Unix has been made nearly unusable.

I much prefer it to Windows, but I wouldn't even consider ever using Windows again at this point.
>>
>>47528990
fuck off lenfried, go piss to teacup somewhere else.
>>
>>47529606
>It's sad when tech-illiterate people come on /g/ and post in the same threads as me. Sad because here I am typing a reply before I realize who I'm talking to.

Jesus christ dude, I'm not sure you could have responded more autistically if you tried. Good luck functioning in the real world with that kind of pathetic neckbeard attitude
>>
Apple products and software is okay, but WHAT THE FUCK is up with the new Photos app? Its garbage, so many features gone.

Like map view? Well hope you like clicking around on our new "moments/collections" interface and scrolling until you see very faded location text you have to click on to see the map.

Like manually editing metadata or manually adding location data? Well WE DON'T.

Like SORTING ALBUMS BY DATE?
WELL SOD OFF YOU WANKER.

They are basically just assuming everyone has PERFECT metadata and location data on all of their photos in order to automagically sort them in the new photos view. Just terrible. If you have time send apple some feedback so they are aware of the issues.
>>
>>47529658
If you're taking photos only with an iPhone, you will almost certainly have perfect metadata. That's probably the use case they built it around
>>
File: njDN3E5.gif (1 MB, 480x204) Image search: [Google]
njDN3E5.gif
1 MB, 480x204
>>47529687
> everyone uses iPhones
> Who even needs a DSLR
> No one scans in old film photos anymore
>>
>>47529745
I'm sure they have analytics showing >90% of people use iPhoto for iPhone photo dumps, and it's pretty typical Apple to say 'fuck you' to people they believe are niche feature users
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.