[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
freeNAS/PLEX home server help
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: Freenas plex build.png (105 KB, 1192x783) Image search: [Google]
Freenas plex build.png
105 KB, 1192x783
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/WealthyWizard/saved/24xNnQ

I want a freeNAS/PLEX server. im moving back into my parent's house, and while i'm there I want to revamp their media/internet/cable set up. They currently have 3mbps down and .5 up.... but comcast is going to come and lay down cable for 100down and 20 up, i think at $140 a month.... pricey, but whatever.

They currently pay $140 a month for cable, phone, and internet.

i want to set up a computer to capture HD tv, and then send it to the freeNAS box. I want the freeNAS box to then be able to stream 1080p media to 4 devices simutaneously.

Is this build the cheapest I can make it? in a tek syndacate video, they were talking about a plex server with an atom avaton 8core chip that comes integrated on a mobo for $350. Idk if that will be powerful enough to support 4 1080p streams.. maybe 4 1080p streams is overkill..... what do you guys think?

>the xeon E3 1230 v2 has a passmark score of 8842, and runs at 69 watts
>plex recommends a minimum passmark score of 2000, per 1080p stream
>tek syndicate video said that the avaton 8core processor easily supported 1080 streams to two tablets simutaneously, below is a link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_0NmNvgP80
>>
>>47109951
also, the ram i have selected isnt ECC ram, but there is kingston ECC ram for $165 on ebay, so i selected this ram because it was the same price.

people recommend WD reds, but is that just a circle jerk thing? I would like the data (family photos and videos) to be safe, but I can always have an extra copy on an external backup... should i save money by getting different harddrives? is 4TB going to be enough to maintain a DVR library?
>>
KISS. I give ;it a week before this setup fucks up and they're on the phone to you for tech supoort
>>
>>47110016
dude, youre kind of right. they call me to figure out how to connect a soundbar I got them for xmas to their dvd player... but i want this serverboxxxxxxxxx
>>
File: NAS.jpg (171 KB, 535x639) Image search: [Google]
NAS.jpg
171 KB, 535x639
>>47109951
Hijacking thread, but also here's a build.

I'm also pretty sure you don't really need ECC RAM for a home NAS, the main thing you're going to want is a battery back up.
>>
>>47111269
Is there anything wrong with the build I posted?

I forgot to add it's expandable to 6 hard drives in total.
>>
>>47111287
excellent NAS build, but im concerned about the processor. I want to be able to have 4 streams running simutaneously @1080p via plex, and the plex website recommends a minimum passmark score of 2000 per stream. that processor is rated at 1689 http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php.

thanks for the tip about the battery supply. i saved this build, its good. can you tell me how much better a platinum powersupply is than a gold rated PSU?
>>
>>47111287
>>47111499
i did a rough calculation about the cost of running a server maxed out at 150 watts for 30 days. it's like $10 a month. im not worried about electricity as much as I am worried about heat transfer. will a platinum PSU help keep my machine cooler?
>>
>>47111566
It's more that it's a really high end PSU, so it's what you'll want, just look up some AM1 benchmarks there's a fairly better processor on AM1 as well, the 5350 I believe.
>>
>>47111696
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Athlon+5350+APU+with+Radeon+R3&id=2195

that's pretty decent. btw, in an earlier post i erroneously typed "its," instead of "it's." I notice your punctuation, and I respect the fuck out of you. ty for the advice anon
>>
>>47111269
I would not risk it without ECC. If files corrupt you won't notice it and and it will spread.
You'd be fucked and won't know it.
>>
>>47112094
yeah, i really do appreciate the other anon's input, but I will be storing family photos and videos on here, so i am willing to build it with ecc ram. this is all really new to me, so im trying to read one article at a time to absorb it all
>>
>>47112094
That's more of a hard drive issue man.
>>
>>47109951
That CPU is overkill any modest quadcore will do fine. Here is a ~6 year old Athlon II x4 620@ 2.4ghz (I think) transcoding 1 1080p stream @8mbps and 3 720p streams at 4mbps (I barely have any 1080p content)

Ideally your client hardware will support h264 decoding and you will just direct play instead of transcode which a raspi plex server would handle fine.
>>
>>47112788
forgot pic
>>
>>47112241
You always have the hard drive issue but with ZFS' heavy utilization of RAM add to that the risk of RAM issue.
>>
>>47112241
wow hahaha

what is zfs
>>
>>47113068
>>47113244
No raid?
>>
Possibly a dumb question:
If not having enough RAM with zfs can result in data loss, isn't that a bug? Why not fix it instead of telling everyone to just buy more RAM?
>>
>>47113335
I thought it was just by design.
>>
>this is my understanding

>>47113327
>No raid?
I don't understand what you mean. There are options with redundancy.

>>47113335
That's two different things. It is true that ZFS needs much RAM for proper performance.
The problem with data loss however comes from non-ECC versus ECC RAM.

Here's an in-depth post about it
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/ecc-vs-non-ecc-ram-and-zfs.15449/ 

If a bit-flip occurs the features that make ZFS a reliable backup solution can propagate and destroy you're data silently while telling you 'everything is alright'.

>>47113421
Basically ZFS relies on correct RAM to verify the data on disk. Silent errors in RAM are the weak spot.

tl;dr: Do what you want but inform yourself about the risk.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.