[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /g/, I wanna build my own smartphone. How can I build a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
File: IMG_0872d.jpg (221 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0872d.jpg
221 KB, 600x600
Hey /g/, I wanna build my own smartphone.

How can I build a hand held phone more powerful than anything I can buy?

Also where do I get not shit screens I can easily work with?

Also can I actually make such a device not shit?
>>
>>47081664
>Also can I actually make such a device not shit?

Do you really have to ask?
>>
>>47081676
Yea.

Though now that I think about it this could be helpful for when I am in my basement and do not get any reception if I could put a gigantic antennae on this.
>>
>>47081664
Protip: You can't.
>>
>>47081776
http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-your-own-cellphone-from-scratch/
>>
>>47081798
Let me clarify on this point OP made:
>How can I build a hand held phone more powerful than anything I can buy?
He can't.
>>
>>47081664
install gentoo
>>
>>47081840
Are there no powerful microcomputer boards?
>>
>>47081840
Having a giant hand is a good start.
>>
>>47081850
>>47081850
Well, if you can find something better than a snapdragon 810 on a board that's compatible with your stuff and you have the expertise necessary to bring a mobile os onto your custom hardware, then sure.

Fuck. Build a smartphone around a xeon CPU if you want. Your better off just buying a phone.
>>
>>47081664
>Also can I actually make such a device not shit?
if you have to ask, then no, you cannot
>>
File: 201407071058089142.jpg (107 KB, 450x261) Image search: [Google]
201407071058089142.jpg
107 KB, 450x261
This thing seems pretty powerful.
2gb of ram, 2.0ghz quad core, and lots of connectivity.

Put a really big antenna on this, tape on some batteries,get a touch screen ,and add a SD card slot I would imagine it would be pretty good.
>>
>>47081840
>he

I didn't see gender mentioned anywhere. Where did you find this information?
>>
>>47081939
Would not even top a modern smartphone when it comes to RAM tho.
It's just not possible.
>>
>>47081664
if your asking then no. Hey guys can I build a car thats faster than anything I can buy? Also where do I buy engines that I can easily work with.
>>
>>47081957
If you were really really smart smart could you put more than one of those into a portable beowulf cluster?

>>47081965
I know how to use a soldering iron and how to google for help, that is all anyone needs.
>>
Wait for Project Ara. Hopefully it should be out by... Christmas?
>>
>>47081951
Does it count if i have a m2f transformation fetish?
>>
>>47081973
I know how to use a blow torch and google thats all anyone needs
>>
You could do it by spending a lot of money. Specs for current smartphones are known, there are lots of electronic vendors who sell stuff you'll need. I'll point out Freescale because they have nice cheap things and a nice attitude towards freedom, though they have just been swallowed by a competitor.

But... your prototype will cost a lot more than ANY mass-produced chinkphone because those guys already have their workflow established and the cheapest manufacturing conditions you could ever dream of. So yeah... that's it.
>>
>>47081664
you can put a baseband modem on anything with io pins.
>>
>>47081951
Fuck off back to tumblr
>>
>>47081664
The real question is; can you build a good gayman rig inside a briefcase/suitcase?
>>
>>47083029
http://new.computershopper.com/desktops/reviews/cyberpower-fang-battlebox

Yes. Though do you really wanna be a faggot walking around with his 2000 dollar fang battlebox?
>>
>>47083069
Well I said 'build' and not 'buy a prefab alienware-tier piece of garbage', so no, I wouldn't.
>>
>>47083090
You can buy just the box.

Either way it is trivial even by modding a preexisting briefcase.
>>
File: 1426703694036.jpg (47 KB, 600x419) Image search: [Google]
1426703694036.jpg
47 KB, 600x419
>>47081664
put this in your phone, the touchpad on the back of your phone (for when you want to connect your "phone" to a monitor), and the batteries in your backpack.
>>
>>47083137
thats actually a good idea.
>>
>>47083029
just buy a smallish case and bolt a handle to the chassis
>>
>>47083176
turns out the "Facebook" machine becomes the new /g/ recommended phone.

What OS would you run on it though? What are you planning on doing with it?
Alternatively, you can create a belt to wear under your shirt that holds the batteries. With straps that extend onto your shoulders to help bear the weight.
>>
>>47083029
yes. I've seen an example of this with an Nvidia Titan.
>>
>build own phone
>pull it out and make a call
>police and swat get called on me because they think i have a bomb or om something
>>
>>47083295
but I'm white.
>>
Project Ara is your best bet. Any other option you have is shit right now.
>>
>>47081957
You could just solder more RAM on. Complex, but doable.

Or go fucking wizard-tier on it and solder another SD reader on to it, but rewire it to connect to a RAM stick, then set virtual memory to this new SD RAM stick. Hyper speed.
We RAM Drive now.

Now the split in RAM for CPU and graphics will have a larger share of memory each. I forgot the default values for them, you can change them in some file.
You could probably even set graphics to use the SD RAM only, somehow.

I'm tempted to do this now. Or at least figure out a way to do it.
I have plenty of laptop memory sitting around right of my feet.
>>
Clearly it is not possible to make a homebrew phone with a similar design to a normal mobile phone using accessible hobbist components such as a Raspberry Pi.

I thought about this idea before and the best way to make a homebrew phone and carry it discreetly is build a pi phone normally in relation to known tuturials or equivalent designs and have it in a carrier bag.

To get the close mobile feel you would have a normal MP3 player or similer device and have it linked as a reciever via Bluetooth.

Of course you would need the right type of MP3 player and it could be possible to do the same thing or similar with a tablet.

From the outlook this idea could be improved on such as using the tablet to control the Pi Phone remotely at close range.
>>
>>47083810
Or maybe make your own smartwatch?
>>
>>47083810
>Clearly it is not possible to make a homebrew phone with a similar design to a normal mobile phone using accessible hobbist components such as a Raspberry Pi.
If you desoldered the connectors and get a small battery it could be done.

Might be relatively thick, but still workable.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.