[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can a computer be a phone? I don't want to carry a phone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5
File: Foldable-Backpack-Scooter.jpg (42 KB, 675x382) Image search: [Google]
Foldable-Backpack-Scooter.jpg
42 KB, 675x382
Can a computer be a phone?

I don't want to carry a phone since they're devices which violate my freedoms. Is it possible to totally abandon cell phones and use my laptop?

I carry my backpack with laptop in it everywhere I go, so couldn't I just use earbuds and answer that way?

>pic actually related, considering backpack for my short commute

Thanks
>>
This is the most /g/ post i have ever seen.
>>
>>46924103
I find it really funny when people express both paranoid skepticism and overwhelming ignorance of a given subject in the same post. You'd think these cretins would figure that they're not really in a position to be suspicious beyond dumb paranoia, but nope.
>>
>>46924125
>>46924136

Does that mean yes?
>>
>>46924103
Google voice solves these problems.
But not the freedoms.
Except if you did it on a secure OS and never associated anything else with that account, got a netbook or something, and lived somewhere with tons of WiFi, doing all ur calls/texts over a VPN.
>>
>>46924188
No thanks, no botnet pls
>>
>>46924279
>wants to make calls
>complains about botnet
ANY kind of a phone is a botnet since the sim card can be triangulated, using a laptop for calling doesnt change that
>>
>>46924334
Laptops don't have a SIM card
>>
>>46924334
what is push to talk?

also there is software that can do encrypted voice/phone communications
https://www.whonix.org/wiki/VoIP#Voip_Clients

tbh I dont know very much about this topic, but I'm sure you can find out more by reading that wiki.
>>
>>46924363
No shit sherlock, but you're talking about CALLING PEOPLE. You'd need one for that
>>
>>46924400
Not for VOIP, such as with Skype.
>>
>>46924400
Lel, ok gramps, there's software for that nowadays.

You don't need a sim
>>
>>46924103
yes it can. google VOIP, you should be able to get a subscription somewhere, which you can then use to call with and get called on
>>
>>46924433
But wouldn't that still be considered a botnet? You plan on staying on wifi all the time?
>>
>>46924433
>>46924442
If he wanted VOIP, what would the point of this thread be? I mean, everyone and their mother knows about skype and its alternatives. That and the original point mentioned cell phones, which are used primairly to, you know, call people
>>
>>46924103
That's a Badass looking backpack
>>
>>46924467
(not op)
Exactly! So why not get a smartphone, without a plan, and use skype over wifi? Just have fun always having wifi.
>>
>>46924493
Smartphones track you regardless of having celluar connection thanks to built in GPS and reporting back to botnet of your choice via wifi
>>
File: tbob1.jpg (53 KB, 429x621) Image search: [Google]
tbob1.jpg
53 KB, 429x621
OP, I think you just need T-Bob from M.A.S.K.
>>
Just get a phone and run an entirely free/libre OS on it.
>>
>>46924519
And you think you don't get tracked by wifi on a computer? Ok.
>>
>>46924519

You can turn GPS off, and it can't connect to wifi if there are no signals around you, which is often the case when traveling.
>>
File: 1319119738001.png (26 KB, 326x494) Image search: [Google]
1319119738001.png
26 KB, 326x494
>>46924543
I know this action figure. Judging by the penis, I recognize it as OP.
>>
>>46924573
>you can turn gps off
Yes, good goy, surely that puny toggle turns it off completely, teeheehe
>>
File: 1316925466099.png (177 KB, 331x362) Image search: [Google]
1316925466099.png
177 KB, 331x362
Just get a fucking phone you autistic fuck.
>>
The answer here is the same as always: OP is a faggot

What you're asking for is to have a mechanism for voice calls and SMS that respects your privacy, and this does not exist. Even using a SIP account, which you will have to pay for as all of the free SIP services require even MORE identifying data than the pay services, you'll still not immune to being tracked. And for this to be even remotely viable, you'd need to be in range of reliable, high speed data connections otherwise it'll be like having a cell phone in the early 90s (not bag phones or Zack Morris bricks, those things will get service in the middle of the fucking Sahara) where >75% of the time your calls will go to Voicemail, and many SIP services don't give you SMS.

So, now you've signed up with a SIP provider, found a third part that will let you connect with your laptop, and you're in range of a wireless network... Guess what? Your MAC address is all over the router logs, so anything you do that's traced back to the routers WAN IP means that anyone with access to the router can check which LAN IP that traffic came from, which MAC address that LAN IP was assigned to, and you've been well and thoroughly tracked unless you're spoofing your MAC address with every single connection. If you aren't, a person determined enough can easily track your whereabouts by war driving in an area they suspect you're in, collect a list of open networks, gain admin access to those access points, and scrub the logs for your MAC, which will paint them a picture of exactly where you were, when and for how long

tl;dr even the most careful person leaves a digital footprint, and we're all able to be tracked by someone with the resources and determination.
>>
>>46924543
Fuck yes. That show was the shit.

I love you, fellow 80sbro
>>
>>46924694
(once again not op)
Thank you for this.
>>
>>46924103
This thread has no point. If u can Comm off it, someone can track u.
/thread
>>
if you want truly private wireless communication you need to build the network yourself and have it isloated from the internet, like the mexican drug cartels did
>>
>>46924493
Skype is a microsoft product
>>
Why is it that we can't just install /g/ approved, freedoms respecting OS to a phone yet? Modern smartphones are computers with a few additional modules that make them able to utilize SIM cards and make and receive calls/texts.

How come no one has built the phone capability to some Linux/BSD OS that would let you use your smartphone just like a computer yet would still retain the ability to use it as a phone.

Obviously phones can be tracked but if you're that paranoid then not getting a phone at all is the solution. That said I'd still much prefer to only be tracked by my operator instead of my operator and Google+whoever made my phone / Apple.
>>
>>46924806
These already exist and fail every time. I still have an openmoko freerunner neo GTA02 phone running gentoo.
>>
analog radio

they cant track you if you use walkie talkies
>>
>>46924694
Or just use incognito
>>
>>46924806
Because your typical smartphone still runs proprietary botnet firmware on its rafio chip and manu other, rendering your free OS useless, unless it's built to be free like >>46924824
And replicant effectively makes your smartphone into a dumbphone since in most cases 3d rendering, wifi and a shitload of other features don't work because modules have no free drivers
>>
>>46924103
yes, just use skype.
>>
Can someone actually use your tracking info to slander you? Like your employer saying "he's not eligable for that promotion because he made all these racist comments on 4chan last year when he thought he was posting anonymously." I'm talking about shit they would never have been able to trace back to you without the tracking data.

Or do google & friends have to keep that info under lock and key, hidden from everyone a million robot computers and the NSA (when they ask)?
>>
>>46924391
I dont know, I never used push to talk. I remember hearing that it was supposedly very hard to track, though, and it one of the few technologies to be able communicate across the globe with 100% privacy
This was the service as provided by Nextel, way back before they were bought by sprint, IIRC
>>
>>46924806
Basebands are a bitch, but even if you made one from scratch sim cards themselves have microprocessors in them. This negates the freedoms.
>>46924824
I want pics.
>>
>>46924103
tl;dr: yes

You would need to either be near wifi all the time or get a a lte modem or hotspot for your laptop.

Use plivo(or twilio if you dont care about muh freedums)
>>
>>46924334
>is a botnet since the sim card can be triangulated
>botnet
Does this word even mean ANYTHING anymore?
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.