[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Browser-Wars
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
I've been out of the loop for quite some time now. Quite some time being several years.

Who's on top of this browser game at the moment? I remember lots of people ditching the firefox for chromium/chrome.

Is that still the case? What's the /g/entoomen browser of choice these days?
>>
People are now ditching Chrome for Firefox because it's become too bloated/lack of privacy. Some people don't care and just use what works for them.

Nightly is the /g/ browser of choice.
>>
>>46868034
And I'm about to do the same thing.

Is aurora still a thing?
>>
I got back to Firefox a week or two ago. So far so good.
>>
>>46868048
No, Aurora is kill.
>>
>>46868004
lynx for the /g/entoomen
>>
>>46868004
Opera has gotten extremely fast.

....still shit though.
>>
>>46868073
Well, that's too bad.
>>
>>46868073
To elaborate, you choices are Firefox (stable), Beta (which is essentially Aurora) and Nightly.
>>
>>46868090
Ah, makes sense. How's the extension compatibility on nightly?
>>
>>46868115
I haven't had any problems, but I don't use a lot of them.
>>
I'll try to break this down the best I can:

- Chrome is currently in the lead at about 50%. The reason for this may be more of a result of Google's extremely aggressive marketing of the browser. i.e. It's bundled with many freeware applications and installs itself unless the user opts out. Most people who know nothing about computers end up accidentally installing Chrome, which then sets itself as the default browser.

- Internet Explorer comes in second at about 24% usage. IE is bundled with Windows, so of course it's always going to reserve a substantial share.

- Firefox is behind IE at around 18 - 20%. FF isn't campaigned like Chrome, and as far as I know, it's not bundled with freeware apps like Chrome is. I would imagine that much of FF's userbase actually consists of people who opted to go to the Mozilla Web site and download and install FF manually.

So based on that, I would think Chrome and FF are somewhat tied in terms of actual popularity, as in the number of people who choose to install and use either browser, not counting people who end up with one browser or another because it was bundled with some unrelated software they downloaded and didn't know how to opt out of.
>>
Why not waterfox /g/?? It's faster then nightly and firefox. Stable to.
>>
>Who's on top of this browser game at the moment?
SeaMonkey

Also, Vivaldi is a nippy browser, almost as nippy as Opera once was. It uses a lot of RAM, though.
>>
>>46868004
Palemoon > Qupzilla > Firefox > shit > Chromium > Opera > IE
>>
>>46868004
Chrome beat out Firefox a while back but now the pendulum is swinging back and people are leaving Chrome for Firefox, even though neither are getting much better.

Personally, I use Pale Moon. I used to use Chrome but the fucking profiles bullshit deleted all my data against my will and I decided that was the final straw. I'd been putting up with Chrome's shit for a while so I decided enough was enough.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.