[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is a CompTIA A+ Cert. actually useless?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6
File: a plus cert.png (52 KB, 1414x1242) Image search: [Google]
a plus cert.png
52 KB, 1414x1242
Is a CompTIA A+ Cert. actually useless?
>>
pmuch

but i always see jobs on cragislist where the listing says, "A+ cert or on the track to completing test"

just depends on the job i suppose

>tfw failed A+
>>
It's not enough to guarantee you're gonna land a job, that's for sure. It's just another notch on required skills lists that you can scratch off.
>>
>Took the first test, passed it easily
>Never bothered to take 2nd test

I'm also "PC Pro" certified, but it's a giant joke of a certification. I had to take the test as my final for my CIT class last year. 3 people passed, and it was easy as shit. It had 15 questions.
>>
Your going to need the skills your obtain from learning A+ for Net+
>>
>>46834332

It's not really going to teach you anything or land you a job, but it's one of those baseline qualifications that'll pass you a filter test.
>>
Your probably never going to need to know what Ultra Wide SCSI 2 maximum range is, but A+ will still get you in the door.
>>
File: 1322781232235.jpg (67 KB, 384x494) Image search: [Google]
1322781232235.jpg
67 KB, 384x494
The A+ cert is considered the absolute minimum for employers to even read your resume.

That said, you're supposed to keep getting certified after you pass.

For pretty much all IT related jobs, resumes with Zero certifications go straight to the trash (even if you went to Technical school)

>Sources
I've been NEET for 3 months with a 3.8/4.0 GPA Lincoln-Tech education, AND an A+ cert.

Once I passed my Comptia Security+, I was immediately hired @ $33,500 a year (Not bad for a 20 year old)

I later became Network+ certified, and will apply for a better job once I pass the Cisco CCNA exam
>>
>>46834753

This really only applies to entry level. I have a few years of experience in IT with zero certs and I haven't had trouble moving around. $80k currently.
>>
>>46834753
Do you ever feel like you're living a soulless unfulfilled life and possibly on the edge of suicide?
>>
not useless but getting a CCNA and CCNP are better. (go for a CCIE if you want)
>>
>>46834753
>I've been NEET for 3 months with a 3.8/4.0 GPA Lincoln-Tech education, AND an A+ cert

Feels bad man. I took a networking class in highschool and had a 30k job soon as I graduated. No college yet, currently pulling about twice that. It's been two years. I feel pretty confident in my ability to move up too. Job experience > *.
>>
If I bypass the A+ and go straight for linux+, am I fucking myself over? Or should I just not even worry about it?

>>46834753
>>46836519
You fuckers are making me jelly.
>>
only if you have the CCNA or anything better already
>>
>>46834381
you failed one of the easier certifications to get? what a fag.
>>
>>46834332
It proves you're either not retarded enough to fail, or at least smart enough to cheat.
Really it doesn't hurt to have it for break-fix gigs. I now know more about laser printers than I'll ever need to know. I got it before they made it expire though. I wouldn't have gotten it after that.
>>
>>46834673
I have no idea what you're talking about and I got A+ certified a couple of month ago.

OP, it got me three job interviews so far for 40K jobs. I think I've landed the last interview. Waiting on their drug test results now.
>>
I was forced to get it by my employer. Never saw the use for it. It only gave me a 1 dollar increase. It expired last year. At which point comptia said i coukd no longer use their logos anywhere lol im doing fine now. 63k a year. Dont do sheeet. Might get 4k raise next week.
>>
>>46836990
>implying anyone cares when it expires
>implying that in 2018 an A+ cert from 2006 won't look old as fossilized shit
>>
File: certifiable.jpg (60 KB, 640x200) Image search: [Google]
certifiable.jpg
60 KB, 640x200
>>
what's a good A+ practice test?
>>
>>46837082
All I did was watch all of Professor Messer's free A+ videos on his website. I know my shit, though, so A+ was easy. Don't think I needed to watch the videos at all.
>>
>>46837072
>strawman
>>
>>46837106
Anon, I just want to get an idea of what the test needs you to know before I drop money on it.
>>
>>46837072
I bet you're just mad you failed the certification faggot.
>>
If you can't pass the A+ certification,then you should not be allowed to graduate HS,.

It's 2014, you should know how to troubleshoot computer issues.
>>
>>46837036
Ancient or not, I still have it, and won't have shelled out the 1000$+ to keep that cert.
I was unaware they had some weird ass point system for renewal. Kinda curious how that works. Literature around it sucks so far. I may look into it one day. I have other renewals to worry about though.
>>
>>46837199
Is it really that easy? I've installed Arch and Gentoo before, should I be able to easily pass it?
>>
>>46837072
I LOVE this one
>>
>>46836599
>I'm jelly

If living half your life doing soul crushing shit you don't care about for a generic company makes you jelly then you need to reevaluate your life choices.
>>
File: 1425359568196.gif (300 KB, 980x2977) Image search: [Google]
1425359568196.gif
300 KB, 980x2977
>>46837294
Forgot pic
>>
>>46837165
I'm probably breaking some disclosure agreement here, but my test was basically:

>Set up a wifi network for a small business in this simulation. Important point is knowing when to manually set the channel.

>Match up these physical female port names with their standard names (DVI, VGA, USB, etc.)

>Answer a fuckload of multiple choice including knowing what an internal IP address could mean (Know your 10.*, your 192.168.* and subnets.) different fixing scenarios, and the differences between laser, impact, inkjet printers

Just watch the shitty videos and you should be fine.
>>
>>46837314
Thanks fam, I'll be doing soul-crushing IT work and contemplating suicide while wondering what I'm doing with my pathetic and lonely life in no time.
>>
File: 1301352385862.jpg (68 KB, 425x410) Image search: [Google]
1301352385862.jpg
68 KB, 425x410
>tfw nearly 21 and A+ certified and earn the equivalent of approx $20k a year before tax doing retard support
>>
File: 1336861039354.jpg (6 KB, 346x228) Image search: [Google]
1336861039354.jpg
6 KB, 346x228
>>46837384
there's people I work with who failed A+
>>
>>46836599
seen employers that wanted your A+ cert. ID and would actually check it

>>46837018
>>46837036
i don't think A+ expires ever
>>
>>46837372
At least you'll have a tiny bit of money to spend on a small house, an average car, and other stupid shit you don't need and probably don't even want but just decided to buy because you have a disposable income.

Fun part is you'll be able to spend a maximum of 7 hours a day "enjoying" that stupid shit because the rest of your life will be doing something you don't want to do for 8-10 hours a day (driving to work and working) and sleeping. The sleeping will be the hard part, since you'll have trouble going to sleep knowing that you have to slave away your life the next day.

Every single day except for two days a week will be dedicated to wishing that time would go faster. You'll spend the majority of your life wanting the time you're currently in to go faster. Literally wishing to be too old to do anything or enjoy anything at all.

I recommend you do what I am doing and drink as much alcohol as you possibly can while remaining a functional member of society.
>>
>>46837463
A+ has changed and now requires continuing education credits, or a retest every three years.
>>
>>46834753
>mfw I made 3 times that immediately out of university
>>
>>46837384

i don't even have a cert and do tier 2 support for an isp. as long as you know your shit people don't care. stick with it, you're only 21.
>>
>>46837485
shit you're right, i was grandfathered in but it expires in july
>>
>>46837469
Can't the same be said of most careers?
>>
>>46837554
Yeah pretty much.

Just wanted to rant about life a lil
>>
>>46834753
>mfw I just got a job interview despite no certifications
>mfw I have no face
>>
>>46837010
holy shit you applied to 40K jobs?

how
>>
>>46837823
I meant jobs that start out with a wage of 40K Le Meme Points per year.
>>
>>46837010
>Waiting on their drug test results now.
>40k job
What the fuck?
>>
>>46837864
It's IT support for some medical company that helps drug addicts. I suppose they aren't looking to hire one.
>>
>>46837010
I make more than 40k as an intern, are you black?
>>
>>46837897
If I were black I wouldn't need an education to get into a job. I would only need to present my skin color and point out how few people in their company have that skin color.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.