[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Default encryption on Lollipop not happening after all. Ann
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9
Default encryption on Lollipop not happening after all.

Announced early in 2014, still not implemented as of 2015, slanted for a later release in the "near future".

Fragmentation is real, as it seems.

>http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/03/google-quietly-backs-away-from-encrypting-new-lollipop-devices-by-default/
>>
le fragmentation meme
>>
>>46831884
Why does this matter? You still have the option, right...?
>>
>>46831884
>Fragmentation is real, as it seems.
close, but no cigar.

it's actually simpler, google profits from lack of privacy, not privacy

if you wanna know the true reason, follow the money
>>
>>46831894
It shows the company's intention, its priorities.

We all know Google is all about ads, but with choices like this, you start worrying if every single default/choice made by the OS is at your expense, for the advertisers' benefit.
>>
File: google nsa.jpg (51 KB, 610x413) Image search: [Google]
google nsa.jpg
51 KB, 610x413
>>46831884

You think that NSA's #1 partner, Google, would add encryption to everything???

You people actually thought this was gonna happen??

HAHAHAHHAHAHAH HAH HHHA HAHAHA

You fucking morons.

Google would never fuck over NSA!
>>
>>46831898
but that's worse.
>>
>>46831925
why would they even deliver the option then? no other competing OS offers full disk encryption. your reasoning is flawed.
>>
>>46831884
google's biz model depends on you NOT HAVING any privacy.

want privacy and security? use iOS.
>>
You guys are reading too much into this. Yes, Google and privacy should never go in the same sentence together, as you are their product, and your information is payment for the services you use.

Having said that, this is probably because google sucks at software (see every android release, and all those over hyped, over promised projects like butter and Volta) and can't get encryption to work properly without slowing the phones down to a crawl. If you want encryption, go with iOS or Samsung (Knox). Maybe Windows phone, but I'm not sure if they allow encryption.
>>
>>46831946
>no other competing OS offers full disk encryption. your reasoning is flawed.
What do you mean?
iOS since 3.0, with the iPhone 3GS, offered full encryption.
Same with some Symbians I think.
>>
>>46831946
>no other competing OS offers full disk encryption
sucking this much Google's dick... and being this ignorant and retarded...
>>
>>46831946
>>46831946
>no other competing OS offers full disk encryption. your reasoning is flawed.
Welcome to 2009.
>>
File: 1358229123645.gif (1 MB, 200x113) Image search: [Google]
1358229123645.gif
1 MB, 200x113
>>46831950
>want privacy and security? use iOS.
>>
>>46832471
>my blind hatred for a mobile platform means it doesn't have features I'd rather it didn't
>I'll forget that NSA and even Obongo are slamming Apple for using end-to-end encryption to prevent eavesdropping
>I'll also forget they've encrypted the user partition in iOS since 4.0
>Better also forget that the fingerprint reader stores only salted hashes in a separate SoC as opposed to every Android fingerprint solution which stores your fingerprint in what's essentially plaintext

Android isn't secure.
If you want a picture of how secure it is - check ANY government agency in ANY country - notice how noone is using Android?
No Security, can't be bound to Exchange/ActiveSync, Can't be remote wiped by Exchange, can't be remote wiped period.
>>
>>46832539

Both Apple and Google are part of prism you faggot. Its better to get an android and flash a custom ROM.
>>
>>46831925
Why would they keep the option if encryption stops them?
And why would the encryption stop them from spying?
>>
>>46832539
Don't most govt agencies actually use blackberry's and not ios?
>>
File: 1418440478905.jpg (125 KB, 410x500) Image search: [Google]
1418440478905.jpg
125 KB, 410x500
>>46831950
>want privacy and security? use iOS.
hahaha, nice try.
>>
File: doom_paul_1.png (907 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
doom_paul_1.png
907 KB, 720x720
NSA won

It's all over
>>
>>46832598
They use all 4 secure platforms:
BB
iOS
Windows Mobile
Windows Phone

Anyone still using BB has contracts for BB Enterprise Server holding them there.
>>
>>46832642
>Anyone still using BB has contracts for BB Enterprise Server holding them there.
That is probably going to change in the next few years.
>>
>>46832581
>Why would they keep the option if encryption stops them?
Because they 90% of people don't tamper with defaults. Especially those buying 100$ devices en masse.
So, why not add something that gives you marketing material and looks good on paper, since people won't use it to cause you any issues?

>And why would the encryption stop them from spying?
I don't even...
>>
>>46832871
>I don't even...
Hmm? The OS can still see what you are doing and send that data to google.
>>
>>46831884
Phone ran slow people bitching about benchmarks and switching to ios so I can't blame google
>>
>>46832539
noone
>>
Android has no real security to speak of. There are still millions of handsets with Heartbleed and master key vulns out there. This is why 95%+ enterprises are using ios/BB.
>>
>>46833012
Not all parts of the OS are granted access to all parts of the filesystem.
And that's especially true for userspace apps.

But more importantly, physical access to the phone.
Someone having physical access to your phone is not that unusual (losing it, having it stolen, etc.) like with PCs.

With good enough encryption, a stolen phone is a paperweight.
>>
>>46833130
>There are still millions of handsets with Heartbleed and master key vulns out there.

Yeah but that's the phone manufacturers/carriers fault for not pushing newer Android versions to their users, not Google's.
>>
>>46833030
>Phone ran slow people bitching about benchmarks and switching to ios so I can't blame google
Serves them right for the "64 bits are only for ramz, lolz" mentality.
>>
>>46833204
>With good enough encryption, a stolen phone is a paperweight.
I don't get that logic. It isn't a paperweight considering you can just sell it for parts or potentially figure out a way to reinstall the OS right?
>>
>>46833235
Yeah, it's always someone else's fault. Sure. I'm sure version 10 of Android will fix some of these issues. Until then, enjoy your shit OS!
>>
On a scale of 1 to 10, how botnet is Ubuntu Phone?
>>
>builds latest Nexus with a chip supporting hardware encryption
>can't use it due to muh fredum
>software-encryption is dog-slow
>become NSA-friendly again
kek apple 4 lyfe
>>
>>46833311
Being paperweight has 2 advantages:

1. Nobody gets your pictures, messages, contacts, etc., that are stored in your phone

2. If you combine encryption with activation, the thief cannot use the phone, its value drops a lot (used scrap parts), and there's not much incentive to steal them, against other phones.

There was a study, how iPhones were the most popular theft targets, but the incidents fell over 50% after iCloud lock/activation.

Not that it should be iCloud exclusive, such methods can be used by everyone.
>>
>>46833521
It's not just iCloud. iPhone has secure enclave on chip and it also has a full encryption engine. Everything you save on an iphone is encrypted with two keys (hardware key unique to the device and you password). Once you send the kill signal to an iOS device, the firmware itself locks down and you can't do shit with it. You can salvage screen, case, battery, camera etc... everything else is done for.

This is also great when cops confiscate your iphone... just have someone send a kill signal. There have been dozens of cases of this happening already.

With ios8, even if cops have your phone, they can't extract any of your data without a password. With ios7 and under, email, sms and contacts was the only thing not encrypted so if forensics could bypass the password, those could be recovered. Not after ios8 however.

There isn't a single solution currently on market that can extract ios8 locked phones. if you can create one, you'll become a millionaire overnight.
>>
>>46831884
Don't worry no need to actually read the article. Just skew the headline to fit your narrative. /g/ should stand for technology-impaired imo
>>
N6 here. Tried encrypted and in encrypted. Performance is mostly placebo. Only r/w speeds are affected you dolts. Phone flies so suck it
>>
>>46833800
Tell that to your mom you flamboyant faggot
>>
>>46833800
>Only r/w speeds effected
>no performance hit

How retarded are you? If the phone isn't reading its writing. That all it does you fucken retard.
>>
>>46833725
>There isn't a single solution currently on market
>on the market
Sure.
>>
>>46834050
point me to one.
>>
>>46834191
I think he's saying that just because there is nothing available to the public, that doesn't mean that none exist.
>>
>>46834050
>implying there isn't a counter-solution to that, also not on the market
Obscure claims are fun :^)
>>
>>46834241
>I think he's saying that just because there is nothing available to the public, that doesn't mean that none exist.

Oh right... the God hypothesis... the Russell's Teapot hypothesis.... the Ayyliens hypothesis....

trying to prove a negative is fucking pointless.

If there was a solution, there would be a company out there charging $1m contracts to do it.They wouldn't have to disclose how either. They could just charge big bucks for it.

But guess what, there's no one doing that and there are billion dollar security companies who sell forensics equipment and software who cannot offer this solution.

FBI director is still bitching about this and is threatening that he will use national security letters to force companies to eliminate or weaken security.
>>
File: FBI_hacking.jpg (74 KB, 876x493) Image search: [Google]
FBI_hacking.jpg
74 KB, 876x493
>>46834320
>FBI
>>
>>46834320
If the encryption is done using a password or 4 digit pin and a code provided by the phone, then the NSA just needs to force apple to provide it and then brute force the rest.
>>
>>46834431
>just

oh you idiot. the code is stored inside the chip and it's not recorded anywhere. you'd have to reverse the whole chip to find out the code. that could clot you hundreds of thousands of dollars.
>>
File: 1424728430817.jpg (78 KB, 780x585) Image search: [Google]
1424728430817.jpg
78 KB, 780x585
>>46834498
>and it's not recorded anywhere

What ever makes you sleep at night.
>>
File: Untitled.png (66 KB, 768x1280) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
66 KB, 768x1280
>>46831884

> not voluntary turning encryption ON

watta pleb
>>
File: 1359312344292.gif (2 MB, 187x155) Image search: [Google]
1359312344292.gif
2 MB, 187x155
>>46834498
>>
>>46834550
>has to type a password because he has no biometrics
The '60's called.
>>
>>46834644
>The '60's called.

Better than living in 1984 like you.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.