[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
unreal engine is now free (allmost) meanwhile unity launch v
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1
File: 23455343513.jpg (250 KB, 1600x500) Image search: [Google]
23455343513.jpg
250 KB, 1600x500
unreal engine is now free (allmost)
meanwhile unity launch version 5 !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ6Mkx1KEns

which one is better and why? i have no experience in ue so i can not tell but what does /g/ think ?
>>
>free
You mean gratis, my friend.
>>
>>46831578
Unity is easier to learn, Unreal is better overall. Both aren't hard to learn but Unity is the easier, more user friendly of the two.
>>
>>46831578
none of you fucks can program to use it . shut the fuck up
>>
unity a shit
>>
>>46831590
Where do you think you are?
>>
>>46831590
I'd program mai waifu. Just watch.
>>
>>46831589
While this is true to some extend, I have to say that even without any programming knowledge you can do much more with UE in the long run.
When it comes to visuals, both engines can output stunning results.
It really depends on what you feel more comfortable using.
>>
>>46831578
Unreal is the technically superior engine, but Unity 5 is hugely improved and not bad at all.

Hopefully it'll be more optimised than Unity 4
>>
can i use UE if i can fizz buzz?
>>
>>46831654
This sums it up better than I did at >>46831589
>>
>>46831984
Yes. In fact you could even implement fizzbuzz in UE4 to use your steps as counter so every other step you take it would display the corresponding value (fizz, buzz, fizzbuzz).
>>
>>46832034
fuck yeah man, I'm going to make the best fizz buzz game ever, watch me!
>>
>>46831984
le epic fizz buzz meme
>>
I'm already invested in Unity and that's just working in the 2D sector. I'm sure I can hop over to Unreal if I wanted to but I'm already content in the Unity family AND it'd probably eat way more time learning Unreal, essentially learning from the ground up again.
>>
what programs are used to create 3d models nowadays?
back in the days i used Maya something alongside unreal engine 3.
>>
>>46832118
Switching engines just because there's a shiny new version out is dumb.
If you ever feel limited by a certain engine, then switching is ok.
And like you said, learning everything all over again is a very timeconsuming thing. Especially if you're used to working with certain keyboard shortcuts from the previous editor/engine.
>>
>>46832242
You can use anything you like. Even Blender is now supported very nicely.
There's even an entry on the UEWiki for this: https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Static_Mesh_from_Blender
>>
>>46832055
>FizzBUZZ: Aggregation
>>
I honestly wish a lot of the older unity games will port over to Unity 5, its a much more powerful more optimised engine.

Looking at you, endless games.
>>
>>46832637
When I was working in Unity 3 and Unity 4 came out, it allowed porting over nicely. I'm sure the same was done from 4 to 5.
>>
>>46831586
Same word, different languages.
>>
looks like a development tool for normalfags

hopefully it will bring more indie devs so I can stop playing shitty triple A games
>>
So should I learn c++ or Javascript? It all comes down to this to me. Don't know which is better
>>
Every unity project I ever tried was a lagging blurry piece of shit. UE is quite solid.
>>
>>46834859
It should come down to C++ or C# if anything. Using JS in Unity is an awful idea.
>>
>>46834859

c++
>>
Just how flexible is the unreal engine? I haven't seen much from it except standard FPS / adventure games.
>>
>>46832752
Gratis oder libre?
>>
can you make voxel games in either?
>>
>>46834859
FYI it isn't actually JavaScript, it's just called that. C# is the one you want. Plus, you can apply C# outside of Unity.
>>
>>46835659
If you mean shit like Minecraft, yes.

If you are talking about that "unlimited detail" bullshit, no.
>>
>>46834859
Javascript isn't the same as Java, by the way
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.