[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/aut/ - ArchLinux User Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 6
>The thread where you can ask, understand, teach, initiate, spur, move the arch way

https://wiki.archlinux.org/

https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Arch_Linux
>>
>>46827208
Does anybody uses archlinux other than desktop? Like server or cloud?
>>
What's the difference between arch and gentoo?
>>
>>46827251
The difference between a retard and an autist.
>>
>>46827248
only archlinux.org themselves, I think.
>>
>>46827251
The kernel configuration during installation and ports vs package manager. Not too much else if you're not really digging into the system.
>>
>>46827251
Arch is a binary GNU/Linux distro while Gentoo is a *nix "metadistro" (thought to be a basis for custom distros)

>Both Arch Linux and Gentoo Linux are rolling release systems, making packages available to the distribution a short time after they are released upstream.
>The Gentoo packages and base system are built directly from source code according to user-specified USE flags. Arch provides a ports-like system for building packages from source, though the Arch base system is designed to be installed as pre-built i686/x86_64 binary. This generally makes Arch quicker to build and update, and allows Gentoo to be more systemically customizable.
>Arch supports i686 and x86_64 while Gentoo officially supports x86, x86_64, PPC, SPARC, Alpha, ARM, MIPS, HP/PA, S/390, sh, and Itanium architectures.
>Gentoo's official package and system management tools tend to be rather more complex and "powerful" than those provided by Arch, and certain features which are at the very heart of Gentoo (USE flags, SLOTs, etc.) don't have any direct Arch Linux equivalent. Some of that is due to the fact that Arch is primarily a binary distro, but differences in design philosophy also play a big role, with Arch taking a more principled stance in favor of architectural simplicity and avoiding over-engineering.
>Because both the Gentoo and Arch installations only include a base system, both are considered to be highly customizable. Gentoo users will generally feel quite comfortable with most aspects of Arch.
>>
>>46827364
You must be able to do manual config of kernel during installation?

>ports vs package manager
this is a massive difference tbf. also different default init systems (though you can change in both cases if you so wish), which to the new user means that configuration files will live in different places than they might be used to.
>>
>>46827248
>Using rolling release on a server
>>
Is Notion a good WM? I'm thinking of installing it but I want some input from other arch users.
>>
>>46827414
Arch doesn't even utilize a stage 3 tarball, they just use a shitty bootstrap script to install the base. Arch is childs play compared to a real put together yourself distro like Gentoo or its uncle CRUX.
>>
>>46827434
There are some people actually running them on servers, but for security features and for very specific tasks that require up-to-date software
>>
>>46827484
That's how to keep it simple, stupid. Ain't nobody got time to compile that much, even when using a binary kernel
>>
>>46827514
What do you even think a tarball is?
>>
>>46827497
>security
>rolling release
>>
>>46827484
this is why arch could be a nice first linux to properly get your feet wet with gnulinux, it is very straightforward and teaches just enough to understand other distros, while in gentoo you'll need to really be aware and know your system in all its extension
>>
>>46827560
Sure, but it also lets you leave it at Arch and develop sour grapes syndrome against Gentoo even though it isn't that much harder to install the better distro and you could have just done that first and learned more.
>>
>>46827581
>develop sour grapes syndrome against Gentoo
I believe that's something subjective rather than something inevitable

> Gentoo even though it isn't that much harder to install the better distro and you could have just done that first and learned more.
gentoo is arguably a better system, but I said that arch fulfills a better role in terms of learning gnulinux (in general) while not teaching you how to setting flags or sync a portage tree and so on, because those are something gentoo specific tasks which have no equivalent in other gnulinux systems
>>
>>46827689
Arch has little tools to automate everything that would actually teach you something if done by hand and is generally a joke of a learning tool compared to Gentoo. Not once in the beginners guide does it mention that you can SSH into the live media and install Arch from the comfort of your Macbook.
>>
>>46827969
Why the fk would a beginner want to do an install via a SSH? How is that even remotely relevant to scope of the article?
>>
>>46830100
He can ask someone to do it for him
>>
File: HT2mW4X.png (363 KB, 3120x1050) Image search: [Google]
HT2mW4X.png
363 KB, 3120x1050
I'm sure you guys could help me: I'd love to run a full Arch setup on my laptop, but I don't know where to start. The problem's not the installation process, I'm quite familiar with it (making partitions, LUKS+LVM, pacstrap, installing a bootloader, creating user accounts and all that shit). Where I'm lost is after I've first booted into my install and have to start installing software. There's way too much choice! I don't say it like it's a bad thing, and the wiki explains all options very well. But apart from trying out all options I can't really know for sure.

What I'd like is some kind of list detailing what software needs to be installed to get a functioning desktop system, especially the easy-to-miss stuff like a screen locker and what not.

Even better, there could be a repository where people share their lists.

Anyway, cans someone chime in?
>>
>>46827405
There is an ARM Version of Arch too.
>>
>>46830131
So they can be left with an unmaintainable system, great.
>>
>>46830275
Install a DE if you're a babby
>>
>>46830377
Thanks, but if I wanted to go the easy way I'd install Ubuntu. I don't need a tool that installs everything automatically, just a guide that says "you'll need a program for X, we recommend Y" and so on.

Do any Arch users out there share their installation list? I think it'd be a great help
>>
File: 5NmR4EL.jpg (222 KB, 662x1024) Image search: [Google]
5NmR4EL.jpg
222 KB, 662x1024
ok gaize i plan to use some distro with i3. im thinking about debian what problems would i encounter. i will install on t410 and i use intellij,pycharm a lot would they create some conflicts or something else
>>
>>46827248
currently have it on two servers. runs gud
>>
>>46830422
Check ricing guide on wiki
>>
>>46830422
Mainly here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications

Some additional software recommendations may be here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/general_recommendations
>>
File: 1423620114473_0.jpg (219 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1423620114473_0.jpg
219 KB, 1280x960
I'm thinking about chanching to arch from #!. Previous experience with arch was manjaro and archbang. Should I install it as my main desktop os? Is the installing as hard as they say? To me it looked pretty straightforward. Some steps just were manual. Is pacmqn going to kill x? Does pacman break everything like it used to?

And please talk me out of this.
>>
File: 1400948486729.png (220 KB, 386x480) Image search: [Google]
1400948486729.png
220 KB, 386x480
>>46830275
A-are you a h-hacker?
>>
>>46830422
Decide what WM you want to use.
Decide what terminal emulator you want
Decide if you want a DM or if you'll just edit the xconfig file manually.

Install a browser, text editor, music and video player. File browser if you want one, image viewer, some kind of pdf viewer.

Those would be the basics
>>
Installation guide:

>cfdisk
>mkfs.ext4
>arch-chroot
>pacstrap base base-devel
>locale and timezone
>install a bootloader
>generate an initial ramdisk environment (mkinitcpio -p linux)
>generate fstab
>reboot

Your arch is installed.
>>
>>46830529
You forgot to mount
>>
>>46830512
Yes. No. No. Dunno, probably not (I've been using Arch for only a year but nothing ever broke; but again, I have a quite minimal setup).
>>
What partitioning system is the best?

Is 45 GB for /
4 GB for swap
Rest for /home

Is this OK? I have 750 GB of HDD and 4 GB of RAM
>>
>>46830527
Thanks, that's a good start! But what about a network manager? And configuring hibernation? That's just the stuff I can think of from the top of my head, but there's much more stuff that'll bite you in the ass if you forget about it: gpu drivers, alsa, etc...

Even the Beginner's Guide doesn't really address this stuff
>>
>>46830614
I've been keeping notes on how I've set up my Arch, but I only started like halfway through, so unfortunately a large part of the basics is missing.
>>
>>46830635
Please share them, I'm sure they'll be very helpful!
>>
>>46827208
Honest question: Why should I change from Ubunto Gnome to Arch?
>>
>>46830655
That's a question you should be able to answer yourself. Why would you want to switch? Are dissatisfied with Ubuntu? Are you prepared to be called an autist neckbeard virgin faggot by /g/ every day?
>>
>>46830529

mfw no swap partition
>>
>>46830529
>>46830574
between
>mkfs.ext4
and
>arch-chroot
I forgot
>mount
>>
>>46830614
I use a DE myself because I have 8 GB of RAM and 2TB of hard drive space.

Just google network managing programs and install one and see if you like it.
If you don't remove it and install a different one.
>>
>>46830720
Most modern PCs have at least 8GB of RAM ...
>>
>>46827248
arch on server isnt a meme. without xorg it;s just a pleasure
>>
#!/bin/bash

echo "installing basic tools"
sleep 2
pacman -S grub fuse ntp reflector dosfstools libisoburn mtools
sleep 2
echo "setting up locale.gen"
sleep 2
echo en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8 > /etc/locale.gen
sleep 2
echo en_US ISO-8859-1 >> /etc/locale.gen
sleep 2
locale-gen
sleep 2
echo "setting up locale.conf"
sleep 2
locale > /etc/locale.conf
sleep 2
export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
sleep 2
echo "setting up vconsole"
sleep 2
echo KEYMAP=us >> /etc/vconsole.conf
sleep 2
echo FONT=lat2-16 >> /etc/vconsole.conf
sleep 2
echo "setting up hostname"
sleep 2
echo nix64d.example.com >> /etc/hostname
sleep 2
echo "setting up hosts"
sleep 2
cp hosts /etc/hosts
sleep 2
echo "setting up timezone and clock"
sleep 2
ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Phoenix /etc/localtime
sleep 2
hwclock --systohc --utc
sleep 2
cp ntp.conf /etc/ntp.conf
sleep 2
systemctl enable ntpd.service
sleep 2
echo "setting up ethernet"
sleep 2
systemctl enable [email protected]
sleep 2
echo "setting up fuse"
sleep 2
echo fuse > /etc/modules-load.d/fuse.conf
sleep 2
echo "setting up grub"
sleep 2
grub-install --target=i386-pc --recheck /dev/sda
sleep 2
cp grub /etc/default/grub
sleep 2
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
sleep 2
echo "setting up password for root"
sleep 2
passwd
sleep 2
echo "setting up pacman.conf"
sleep 2
cp pacman.conf /etc/pacman.conf
sleep 2
echo "setting up reflector"
sleep 2
reflector --verbose --country 'United States' -l 200 -p http --sort score --save /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
sleep 2
>>
File: POZAXcg.jpg (371 KB, 1280x1835) Image search: [Google]
POZAXcg.jpg
371 KB, 1280x1835
Does anyone else even think about what distro they use anymore? At first using leenix on a home PC feels mediocre, like you're forcing yourself to deal with it, now it's pretty much my hedonic standard for using a PC and everything else feels stupid.
>>
>>46830614
>But what about a network manager?
There is a dedicated network config page in the wiki, you have many options depending on the network you are trying to set up.

netctl which is an arch linux project is probably the easiest to set-up.
>>
>>46830868
>sleep 2
Why? bash will only continue to the next step once the current one is finished. If you're that worried about race conditions you can easily change it to something like sleep 0.3.
>>
echo "creating user pieman"
sleep 2
useradd -m -g users -G wheel,power,video,audio,games,systemd-journal,locate,lp,optical,scanner,storage,sys -s /bin/bash pieman
sleep 2
passwd pieman
sleep 2
echo "creating /mnt dirs"
sleep 2
mkdir /mnt/{external1,external2,storage1,storage2,storage3,storage4}
sleep 2
chmod 777 /mnt/{external1,external2,storage1,storage2,storage3,storage4}
sleep 2
echo "setting up makepkg"
sleep 2
cp makepkg.conf /etc/makepkg.conf
sleep 2
sleep 2
echo "copying over steam taskbar-patch"
sleep 2
cp steamtint2 /usr/bin/
sleep 2
chmod a+x /usr/bin/steamtint2
sleep 2
chmod 755 /usr/bin/steamtint2
sleep 2
echo "copying over tint2 menu"
sleep 2
cp tintmenu.desktop /usr/share/applications/
sleep 2
chmod a+x /usr/share/applications/tintmenu.desktop
sleep 2
chmod 755 /usr/share/applications/tintmenu.desktop
sleep 2
echo "copying over parcellite icon"
sleep 2
cp clipboard-dark.png /usr/share/pixmaps/parcellite.png
sleep 2
chmod 755 /usr/share/pixmaps/parcellite.png
sleep 2
echo "copying over oblogout.conf"
sleep 2
cp oblogout.conf /etc/oblogout.conf
sleep 2
>>
>>46830897
eh i just like seeing it pop up with the echo crap and make it feel like its working.
>>
>>46830886
>And configuring hibernation?
If your install was on a laptop, it should automatically suspend when you the close lid if it supports ACPI power management. If not, systemd can suspend the OS via 'systemctl suspend'.
>>
>>46830886
>gpu drivers, alsa
these have dedicated pages in the wiki as well. Your xorg conf should automatically be configured when you install the appropriate video driver
>>
>>46830910
To each his own. Maybe make a silent version that "just werks".
>>
what distro should I use so I can be respected and not be an autist?
>>
>>46830886
>>46830958
>>46830918
I know there are wiki pages dedicated to every piece of software I could install. I know that and I appreciate their immense quality.

But if we take the example of a network manager. If I ALREADY KNOW I have to install one, I'd go on the dedicated wiki page and be happy. But what if I didn't know I had to install one? Where would I learn my needs?

Granted, this is a retarded example, since a network manager is a pretty obvious need, but there are many other things you wouldn't know you needed.
>>
>>46831095
Arch + GNOME/KDE and don't shove the fact that you use Arch in peoples faces.
Or really anything + GNOME/KDE and don't shove the fact that you use it in peoples faces.
>>
>>46831095
1. install any distro you want
2. don't be a cock
3. tell anyone who has a problem with what software you use on your computers to fuck off
>>
>>46831127
>GNOME post-2.x
>KDE post-3.x
>not the most autismal of desktops
>>
>>46831152
>Most used and polished DEs
>autismal
I'm sure you think your tiling window manager is perfectly respectable in the real world, but I have bad news...
>>
>>46831132
thanks m8
>>
>>46831152
Linus uses GNOME 3.14 on Fedora stressing "ease of installation and ease of keeping up to date" as his priorities saying he doesn't have time for "overly technical" distributions.
>>
How dodgy is testing? I enabled the repos to pull some shit down and wound up pulling down xfce. I can comment them back up and just dodge regressing packages on updating for a while, but am I okay just letting it fly with my dick out?
>>
>>46831095
Install what distro you want. Just select it by your use.

AND DON'T USE UBUNTU.
AND ANY LINUX BASED DISTRO USING SYSTEMD.
>>
Arch GNU/Linux doesn't respect your freedoms. Install Parabola GNU/Linux-libre instead.
>>
>>46831272
Running it on an x200 running libreboot. Its actually pretty good.
>>
>>46831272
You mean it doesn't respect Richard Stallman's freedoms. Which I am fine with. It's called Arch Linux, by the way.
>>
I am fucking shit at computers, will messing around with arch in a VM help me learn more about them?
>>
I'm new to arch linux, what desktop environment should I install?
>>
>>46831444
I assume by "I'm shit at computers" you mean "I don't know how to use Windows"
>>
I'm looking at geting my feet wet with Arch by using the Ultimate Install script

https://github.com/helmuthdu/aui

/g have any opinions on this?
>>
>>46831756
Just use evo/lution, it's easier.
>>
>>46831771
Bookmarked, thanks.
>>
Anyone else using Zorin?
>>
>>46831901
are you le serious?
>>
Installed Arch yesterday only had one issue with grub-install saying "FlexNet" was in useof
>>
>>46831108
Install what you use, everything else is bloat.
>>
>>46831132
based
>>
>>46831910

Why would I lie to you?
>>
I am having intense screen tearing on my nvidia drivers... does anybody know of any fixes... I can't even scroll without the screen tearing ruining my experience

btw i have a gtx 760
>>
>/aut/
>autism
I like arch, but you probably should have picked a better name for this. Unless that was intentional.
>>
>>46831444

No. You will only learn how to install Arch. It's useless knowledge since there's literally a step-by-step, written guide on their Wiki.
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.