[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gimp is a very good software, but it could be better: It crashes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
Gimp is a very good software, but it could be better: It crashes constantly, and is missing some features.

Also looks to be abandoned, they are promising the version 3.0 for years now.
And even with it flaws its the best alternative for Adobe Photoshop.

Now imagine if it had a organization like Mozilla or Canonical to give a better support and updates.
It could be easily the best Image Manipulating Program.
Discuss.
>>
>>46818668

maybe you could donate instead of whining on internet forums
>>
>>46818676
It's probably beyond help by now. Any refactoring that makes it stop sucking is going to be a rewrite in disguise.
>>
>>46818668
GIMP was never a product. It was a project.
>>
>>46818668
Text insertion and editing is quite possibly the worst part of it.
>>
Have you tried Krita yet?
>>
>>46818676
>implying I don’t

>>46819209
Krita its more for painting than general editing like Gimp
>>
show me something like healing brush and pen tool and we can talk
>>
>missing some features
like 90% of the things I actually want to do

>can't just make a rectangle or any other form
>>
File: works on my machine.png (30 KB, 200x193) Image search: [Google]
works on my machine.png
30 KB, 200x193
>>46818668
>It crashes constantly
>>
>>46818668

>Now imagine if it had a organization like Mozilla or Canonical to give a better support and updates

I don't want to imagine

>GIMPed cloud subscription.
>Amazon button on menu
>Gimp icon changed to a gay unicorn

ewww
>>
>>
It's Photoshop for poor people. Of course it's shittier and less reliable. You get what you pay for.
>>
>tfw you need a custom script for moving a layer to a specific coordinate on the canvas
>>
>>46818668
>Now imagine if it had a organization like Mozilla or Canonical to give a better support and updates.
You don't have to imagine. You can pay any software development company for hire and they will support you for any feature that you pay for.
>>
>>46819417
Krita 2.9 is actually pretty decent Photoshop alternative, since it finally has RAW & HDR support and new transformation/warp stuff. Plus they promise Photoshop-style layer effects in the future releases.
>>
File: mozilla-brendan-eich[1].jpg (22 KB, 560x373) Image search: [Google]
mozilla-brendan-eich[1].jpg
22 KB, 560x373
>>46822246

oy vey! ids like anodda gaynocide! he invented the naziscript and literally worse than hitler.
>>
>>46818668
>It crashes constantly
Could not reproduce. I can't even remember the last time it crashed for me.

>missing some features
Yes. I would particularly like to see adjustment layers implemented, along with a "heal" tool that doesn't suck.
>>
>>46818668
>missing some features
>not using G'MIC plugin
>>
>>46823859
It's pure magic just like imagemagick
>>
>>46822275
or don't pay for...hehe
>>
>>46818668
can you post that bg please
>>
>>46823939
soz i was being lazy, googled it, 1st result
>>
>>46822585
>I would particularly like to see adjustment layers implemented, along with a "heal" tool that doesn't suck.
They keep saying their new graphics library will solve these things. I guess they're busy writing UIs for these features in C?

Last time I tried out GIMP for Windows, it ran insanely slow and capped a single core completely when I dragged a high-rate input device's cursor (either my pen tablet or a maxed gaming mouse) across the window. Googling lead to a discussion on the UI re-initializing its graphics context on every ruler redraw and the expensive implications of this on certain platforms. I don't think they figured out what should own the pointer yet.
>>
>>46820083
This. But then again all I use it for is making shitty OC and poor shoops of people from /soc/.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.