[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is /g/'s recommended AV for Windows? I'm currently
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 10
File: 1425157856351.jpg (31 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
1425157856351.jpg
31 KB, 300x250
What is /g/'s recommended AV for Windows? I'm currently running Win 10 tech preview with 360 Security
>>
File: logos_fixed.png (16 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
logos_fixed.png
16 KB, 1000x1000
>>46784616
logos
>>
>>46784616
Past 2 years I've been using Bitdefender 2013 Total Security and its worked a charm especially for browsing backwater shithole sites and moderate torrenting. Best AV in that list you got there by a longshot.

Decided to upgrade to BD 2015 today, right now actually.
>>
>2015
>Still using AV.
kekekekek
>>
>>46784616
MSE/Windows Defender, everything else is snakeoil/botnet
>>
>>46784616
Common Sense 2015
>>
You don't need AV as long as your PC isn't a fucking whore that eats stranger USB-sticks like it's her job and you have noscript in your browser. Also, the Windows integrated AV isn't bad. External AV software will just slow your system down and annoy you with "hurr durr your license runs out in 572824739 days hurr you better buy a new one durr".
>>
MSE+common sense
>>
Does /g/ have an opinion on EMET?
>>
webroot secureanywhere ftw

just search "webroot broncos" for 6 months of free licence, thank me later
>>
>>46784616
I never get into these threads early enough.
I do 3rd party IT consulting.
Under no circumstances should you use the following as an active A/V

Microsoft Security Essentials
>Doesn't detect important shit, and when it Does, it cant remove it.
McAffee
>useless
Norton/Symantec
>Useless

I skeptically approve the following:
Avast
>works well, but a bit more bloated every year
AVG
>same
Nod32
>No reason to not like it, but I don't trust it's detection rates.

Shit-Tier
Kaspersky
>how are they still in business
TrendMicro
>useless

I have not personally used BitDefender, but i've noticed the fags who shout about MSE rarely if ever suggest BitDefender, give it a try.

Avira seems the best home free AV at the moment.

Malware Bytes is not an active scanner unless you pay for it, and even then, it's shit.
>>
>>46785433
CS 2015 is okay, but you have to make sure you enable the checkbox 'apply to everyday life', otherwise you wont get the warnings when she takes her pants off and has visible blisters and you'll forget to use a condom.
>>
>>46785948

good analysis but how'bout webroot secureanywhere? I found it week before and recommend it now on /g/ works pretty well for me and really light on resource
>>
>>46784616
>What is /g/'s recommended AV for Windows?

Kapspersky > *

Rest are always behind.
>>
>>46784616
nothing get the fuck out of here
>>
gentoo
>>
>>46784616
>tech preview
you're literally part of the botnet bruh
>>
>>46785995
>cs 2015
did they ever patch the bug that causes it to randomly stop working?
>>
>>46785948
>AVG
>not shit-tier with kaspersky

You don't seem like you know very much
>>
File: 129381293010202.png (39 KB, 245x419) Image search: [Google]
129381293010202.png
39 KB, 245x419
>>46784616
>>
>>46786412
dat image
>implying gentoo has an install wizard
and no I'm not captain obvious, I'm farther up the chain of command, I'm general observation
>>
File: american_burgers.jpg (58 KB, 680x497) Image search: [Google]
american_burgers.jpg
58 KB, 680x497
>>46785948
>kaspersky
>shit tier

how many burgertokens did the nsa pay you cancerous friend?
>>
For my post, I assume you have a reasonably fast PC, let's say at least 4 or 8 GB RAM etc.
>>46785948
I agree with you for the most part, but cannot believe you call Kaspersky shit tier. It's signature is one of the best along with Avira and Bitdefender yet it also provides zero day protection (at least better than most others).

I personally use Bitdefender, but I would probably prefer Kaspersky if I could find a free license. (I got a promotional offer, so I use Bitdefender for free).

I used to use cracked ESET Smart Security and I was satisfied with it.

I agree with you MSE, McAfee, Norton sucks. (Only briefly used MSE myself)

For free, I believe more or less they are the similar and personal preferences matter if you are an average user. If you are really crazy about detection and whatnot and want it free, use Avira or Bitdefender Free.

Shit and avoid no matter what: MSE, McAfee, Norton

Free and OK: Avast, AVG

Free and great (might cause performance drop): Bitdefender Free, Avira.

Paid and great: Emsisoft, Bitdefender, Kaspersky, ESET
>>
>>46786449
You actually have to be a wizard to install gentoo
>>
>>46786626

I must add that I only used the following ones but I am kind of a security nerd so I like to watch reviews.

ESET, Avast, Bitdefender, Bitdefender Free, MSE and Kaspersky very briefly.

I liked the Kaspersky most and I don't remember MSE detecting something, not even once.
>>
>>46786653
No.
>>
I've always been very pleased with BitDefender myself, but I can tell that it is a bit heavy on resources. It's a lot better with false positives than it used to be at least.

Ad blocking and common sense is truly the best defense though.
>>
I uninstalled bitdefender as it deletes muh shit without my consent
>>
Heres my general security measure overview:

1. Comodo Dragon browser
>comodo web inspector and privdog, blocks insecure pages from being accessed, blocks data from being sent to trackers and ad networks.

2.Adblock
>blocks ads.

3. Bitdefender TS
>best av i've used, especially for blocking sites, its like an extra wall behind comodo. Shows those little green tics next to a site if it is trusted and even still privdog blocks all outgoing tracking data if it isn't.

works for me.
>>
Common sense
>>
Common sense is great, but when you spend alot of time scouring the web for free versions of articles, standards, books and other crap, you eventually fall into some sketchy places.

I use loads of CAD software which need to be re-licensed often, and just downloading key files is highly risky shit, but its gotta be done.
>>
File: abandon_thread.gif (2 MB, 368x273) Image search: [Google]
abandon_thread.gif
2 MB, 368x273
>>46787019
>Comodo Dragon
>using a botnet browser on /g/
>not using chromium/firefox
>not using ublock
fucking pleb
>>
File: oQXjPp8.jpg (755 KB, 1681x2749) Image search: [Google]
oQXjPp8.jpg
755 KB, 1681x2749
>>46787089
are you sure you're speaking for /g/?
>>
File: congrats u fucking retard.jpg (52 KB, 489x400) Image search: [Google]
congrats u fucking retard.jpg
52 KB, 489x400
>>46787022
>Common sense
Common sense works against packet injection? Really? How?

Last time I checked, people who opened Linkedin, Slashdot, Linux Journal etc were infected with malware.

Gary, "Common Sense" only works if you're ignorant or don't use the Internet. Only shitheads think it actually works in practice.
>>
>>46787089
Boy, you're new. Comodo isn't a botnet which is why so many people on here recommend it. Go away retard.

By the way, there's also Comodo Chromium Secure. :^)
>>
>>
>>46787134
Shame that you're too retarded to browse the Internet with common sense. I never received malware. #LinuxMasterRace
>>
File: ndjhnff.png (27 KB, 763x376) Image search: [Google]
ndjhnff.png
27 KB, 763x376
get rekt jewgle
>>
The McAfee Logo here is stuffed. "McAfee Secure" is the PCI compliance product line, which they sold off to Pathdefender a few years ago, only to have Pathdefender decide the Qualys products were better.
>>
>>46787194

I hope linux desktops get popular so I can watch malware make it suck more than it already does.
>>
>>46787019
You know that pivdog is a botnet and spys on you, right?
>>
>>46787089
>comodo dragon
>botnet
apex kek. i hope you're just baiting
>>
>>46785604

I do. It doesn't really belong in this thread because it's not really AV.

I agree with the sentiment that most AV is bloat and not much else unless you're forced to meet a compliance requirement (and realistically, most businesses are, so "common sense" is out the door. That, and most of my users don't have common sense).

But EMET stops a large portion of 0day attacks, regardless of what browser you're using or other addons are involved. I've tested it myself by roaming a number of malicious sites with IE8 RTM a while back, and it stopped everything.

There are ways around it and there are exploits written that subvert it, but if you take the approach of nontargetted, in the wild shit, it's incredibly effective.

Does seem to have issues with out of date versions of Adobe Acrobat - which says more about Adobe than EMET.
>>
>>46787256
you're a stupid head butt face liar.

wait ,really?
>>
>>46787121
>>46787152
>>46787270

Does this shit browser Comodo Dragon along with it's other botnet brother Ice Dragon sent data back to Comodo? Answer yes or no?
>>
>>46787246
Although Linux isn't entirely bulletproof, it's much more secure than Windows and Mac OSX because of its strict permission system for risky operations. Common sense would still eliminate the possibility of malware.
>>
>>46787284
Nah, really, it does:
https://blog.hboeck.de/archives/866-PrivDog-wants-to-protect-your-privacy-by-sending-data-home-in-clear-text.html
>>
>>46787309
more
https://blog.hboeck.de/archives/865-Software-Privdog-worse-than-Superfish.html
>>
>>46787296

Permissions don't matter when there's an escalation vulnerability that the basement dwelling freetard author overlooked.

Everyone just calls Windows insecure because malware authors target it
>>
>>46787357
... and it's fucking easy to exploit it, faggot.
>>
>>46787357
Who's this basement dwelling freetard? Another great security advantage of Linux is it's open source and free as in freedom so we can always fix security exploits with a large community.
>>
>>46787370

There hasn't been a majo exploit in at least 10 years. All the exploits are in shitty third party software.
>>
>>46787384

>Fixed
lol it just gets forked again. Linux will never compete with Windows because no one in the community wants to to the hard work it would take to make it compete.
>>
>>46787384

Tell me again how timely the community fixes things like no image thumbnails in gnome.
>>
>>46787436
Nice false information, every security exploit we had got repaired within 24 hours. Stay butthurt because Linux will always be much more superior and manages most of the servers that are used for everything you download from. Without Linux, it would be basically the stone age of technology.
>>
Not OP but also want this answered.

So far all i see is shilling and autism, step your shit up /g/ and be useful.
>>
>>46787495

>every security exploit we had got repaired within 24 hours
If it wasn't such shit, there wouldn't be such devastating exploits to begin with.

>manages most of the servers that are used for everything you download from
There's just as much IIS in production. And if I recall correctly. it wasn't affected by heartbleed.

>Without Linux
There are lots of other Unix cousins that aren't developed by SJW's.
>>
>>46787505

Paying attention to what the fuck you're doing is better protection than any anti virus can offer. The age of the antivirus is over. Companies only run it to protect from liability.

How does anyone actually get their computer infected by malware? It doesn't make sense to me. I would have to make an effort to find some.
>>
>>46787613
You say Linux is shit yet it's much better than any other operating systems such as Windows and OSX.
>>
File: lol.jpg (97 KB, 360x327) Image search: [Google]
lol.jpg
97 KB, 360x327
>>46787613
>if it wasn't such shit,
http://www.theage.com.au/it-pro/security-it/microsoft-patches-twodecade-old-windows-flaw-20141113-11mdia.html
>>
>>46787713
Not everyone here is an autistic shitmongler that plays around with freetard lincucks bullshit and does nothing productive.

Some of us need shit like DAWs, VSTs, and the OSes that support them, and fuck if i'm gonna pay for all that shit before i even make it big.

The warez scene is almost entirely composed of scummy 3rd world slavshits and chinks and i don't fucking trust them, i wanna scan the shit i download and know its clean.
>>
>>46787121
>Nightly
>god tier
Fucking how?
>>
>>46788514
>beta software
>god tier
>/g/ logic
>>
>>46785433
I-i-is it open source?
>>
>>46785433
nice meme
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>46787200
Privdog is fucking ancient; are you new?
>>
>>46787121
>>46787121

What are the middle 2 browsers on God Tier?
>>
>>46789373
Firefox nightlies.
>>
Kaspersky, nigga

license costs like 10€ for a year

how cheap can you be?

anyway, bitdefender and kaspersky get the best results on av-test and av-comparatives
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.