[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: we list things we would want to be mainstream already. Please
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
ITT: we list things we would want to be mainstream already.
Please keep it realistic.

I will start
>4k displays and content
>SSDs for the price of HDDs
>60fps films
>No roaming in the EU
>Virtual Reality
>ac wifi
>LED streetlamps emitting white/blueish light
>>
>>46771877
quad boards, 16 core cpus, gb ram for the price of gb hdd space, ...

why would you want these things to become mainstrain ? not many people need 4k displays, or ssds and noone needs 60 fps movies.
and in a few years you'll create the same thread about 8k displays, 120 fps movies, etc anyway
>>
>>46771877

Street lights are yellow/orange for a good reason. Blue at night is bad for your eyes.
>>
>>46771877
4k displays are already out (maybe not the content) the only problem is that windows DPI scaling sucks major balls

also SSDs are dirt cheap nowadays.
>>
>>46771877
>>60fps films

absolutely disgusting
>>
community-run global/large-scale mesh networking
>>
>>46771877
Good goy
>>
CRT master race
PGP
Mesh networks
Strong encryption
>>
>>46771877
>4k content

Your computer already has all the "4k content".

4k is kinda pointless for movies.
>>
File: Captura.png (499 KB, 589x412) Image search: [Google]
Captura.png
499 KB, 589x412
Let me see
>4k monitors
> SSD with prices of HDD
> OP's MOM (le reddit army, so fun)
> USB 3.1 Type C
>>
>>46771998
>windows
Found your problem.
>>
>>46772102
niceme.me
>>
>>46771877
More people building their technology from scratch and never giving money to cults like Microsoft, Apple, or Google again.
>>
File: 1362672141937.jpg (123 KB, 740x740) Image search: [Google]
1362672141937.jpg
123 KB, 740x740
>>46772007
>defending 23.976fps
please die already grandpa
>>
>>46771951
Well I remember being in Kyoto and almost all streetlights were white/blue LEDs. It was beautiful and I didn't go blind.
>>
File: 19ejvmq0elq8gjpg.jpg (48 KB, 636x361) Image search: [Google]
19ejvmq0elq8gjpg.jpg
48 KB, 636x361
>>46771951
>>
>>46772012
I wouldn't say community run, just federated, but I guess you just mean in contrast to big carriers. I would have made this post if you hadn't.
>>
>LED streetlamps
The main problem for this at the moment is the optics. Look up papers by Ries, Muschaweck, Bäuerle, Fournier, Weston and Cassarly.

Source: I work in this field, on this very problem.
>>
>>46771915

SSDs are an improvement on HDDs in every way anon, having them be cheaper would be great and they're getting cheaper all the time anyway
>>
>>46772597
Yeah the blue/white LED looks far better

>>46773157
You can buy a ~150gb ssd for 137 on some sites. It's pretty gr9 now.
>>
>>46771877
>60fps movies

You must watch soap opera's, bitch.
>>
>>46773208
in what kind of third world currency does 137 of them get you a 150GB SSD? do they even make SSD's in that size?
>>
>>46771877
High gamut displays
>>
>>46772007
>>46772238
60fps is kind of "uncanny valley" framerate, obviously higher than 24fps but not enough for true realism. We need 240fps or more.
>>
Higher contrast rates on TVs and monitors.
>>
>>46772597
>black lights on the left
>blue lights on the right
>>
I predict that SSDs will outpace HDDs in cost sometime in this decade. Then they will start to catch up with ram in speed.

At that point we will stop distinguishing between memory and storage. You will just have a big chunk of "memory" and the OS will just mark particular sectors as temporary or permanent.

Eventually we might switch to a memristor based architecture where the computer is just made up out of a bunch of components that can function as processor or memory, and will adjust itself based on the amount of space available.

If quantum computing ever becomes mainstream, they will be add on cards like GPUs are now. Most computing will be done by banks of memristors which also function as memory and storage.
>>
>4k displays and content
why
>SSDs for the price of HDDs
fair enough, but unlikely
>60fps films
why
>No roaming in the EU
this literally isn't already a thing?
>Virtual Reality
the latest gimmick. 3dtv 2.0
>ac wifi
meh, it'll happen eventually
you don't want this
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.