[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Arch is life
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 223
Thread images: 25
File: arch.png (3 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
arch.png
3 KB, 225x225
Arch appreciation thread.

Welcome:
>Arch and its variants
>Gentoo and its variants
>LFS

Not welcome:
>everybody else
>>
>>46766701
>Welcome:
>Autistic NEETs

Ftfy, m8
>>
>>46766838
gtfo! read the rules
gentoo4life
>>
>>46766701
I like Arch for home computing and Gentoo for servers. When you don't have to spend hours compiling XOrg and Firefox, Gentoo is actually really nice.
>>
>Installed Arch
>Maintain it The Arch Way

No problems whatsoever. It just works.
>>
>tfw you realize Arch is a meme distro and all the hours you spent getting it to work was a waste of time
Why does it have a CLI install in 2015? Why doesn't it have basic shit you're going to be installing anyway like Xorg or ALSA pre-installed? Why should I install Arch over Manjaro NET?
>>
>>46766899
install gentoo
>>
>>46766967

Familiarize with the Arch way and rtfw.
>>
>>46766967
Because having Arch with any of those things preinstalled isn't The Arch Way. It's about making a system exactly how you want and installing exactly what you want. If you want the benefits of Arch without the troubles of a CLI installation(which is actually quite simple), then install Manjaro. But I liked taking the time to select the software for my specific needs and not having to uninstall or just waste HDD space with preinstalled stuff.
>>
>>46766967

Because it's a minimal distro and the installer reflects the philosophy. If you're not able to install from CLI, you're surely not capable of following The Arch Way and will shit up the distro in weeks, after which you will shit up online forums with your problems and moaning. The CLI installer is a very nice and necessary touch in my opinion.
>>
it took me 4 hours to connect to a wireless network on gentoo

how anyone can describe this as "just working" is beyond me
>>
Yes. I love Arch. Non virgin. freshly shaved. evolution installer. mmm
>>
>>46767026
>>46766967
Try out evo/lution installer. my wifi has worked everytime and it even works when you install.
>>
What is the point of making your OS as much of a pain in the ass as possible?

>muh highly configured minimal disk space chinese cartoon shitpost machine
Kek
>>
>>46767026

Who said that?
>>
>>46767026
It took me like 10 hours to compile the entire wpa_supplicant ebuild. But during installation it's all there, so really it wasn't too big of a deal. Linux is generally much simpler when you're using a LAN connection.
>>
>>46767047

Yes, but if you do this, don't come here to complain when your install breaks.
>>
>>46767029
Mein negro.
That's what I'm running on my craptop.
For those wanting to know, xfce is the best out of the box DE, if you are in a hurry, that is.
I'm trying enlightenment later.
>>
>>46767023
>>46767047
I installed it and had no trouble. I just don't agree with a philosophy for making shit complicated/take longer for the purpose of making shit complicated/take longer. If you truly want to build your own system from nothing install Gentoo or LFS, otherwise you fell for the meme that is Arch Linux.
>>
LFS checking in
>>
>>46767052
What is the point of being completely retarded?
>>
>>46767103

I'm not interested in building my system from nothing. I don't see the need to compile my packages. I want a minimal install that is configurable to my needs and intuitive and efficient to use.
>>
>>46767103

>setup an Internet connection
>partition disk
>format disk
>run script
>chroot
>setup locale
>setup clock
>install bootloader
>generate fstab
>reboot

>hard
>>
>>46767154

You could also try to mount the partitions at some point.
>>
>>46767103
The only thing that really makes Arch worth using over Gentoo is AUR and not taking hours to install a semi-large piece of software. And that is a pretty big deal.
>>
>>46767125
Is that what you ask yourself every day as you're staring in the mirror contemplating existence?
>>
>>46767154
This is why I said "/take longer" because I knew someone would type out the entire install process and imply that I implied it was hard. It's not hard, it just takes longer than an automated install for no reason other than your arbitrary Arch Way.
>>
>>46767287
It actually is much quicker than an automated installer because there's no bloat that's being put on the computer. After you do it once or twice, it can take less than 30 minutes.
>>
>>46767139
Okay so why not install Ubuntu minimal? Or Manjaro NET if you must have access to the AUR? Both are the same as an Arch install + Xorg and they install in less than 5 minutes.
>>
File: conanlaughs.gif (788 KB, 440x278) Image search: [Google]
conanlaughs.gif
788 KB, 440x278
>>46767287

>I knew someone would type out the entire install process and imply that I implied it was hard

Is this guy serious?
>>
>>46767287
Installing is something you do once per computer, it doesn't matter at all how long or difficult the install process is, it's a completely irrelevant part over the lifetime of the computer.
>>
>>46767287
i can install arch in 4 minutes
>>
>>46767307
>>46767287
It took less than 10 minutes when I installed it on my server.
>>
>>46767349
this

though i suppose people used to windows will have the idea that reinstalling often is a necessity
>>
>screentearing out of the ass with xfce
>official nvidia drivers destroy the system
I am a failure
>>
>>46767321

>Ubuntu minimal

Yeah I really want to use outdated kernels and an outdated repository

>Manjaro NET

Why would I install that when I can have the real thing instead?
>>
>>46767307
The Antergos netinstall with KDE4(megabloat) takes me 15 minutes to install. Do you enjoy wasting your time?
>>
>>46767453

>Admitting it takes him 15 minutes to install Arch
>thinking he is the one saving time
>>
ITT:

>people would rather install a shit OS that takes 20 mins to install instead of installing a non-shit OS that takes poteantially a longer time

Do you people have to reinstall your operating system like every day?
>>
>>46767487
just think of all those minutes i could have saved while i was installing arch 3 years ago!
>>
The white part at the bottom of the logo looks like a really fat man
>>
File: 1419253577868.jpg (57 KB, 393x558) Image search: [Google]
1419253577868.jpg
57 KB, 393x558
>find out archlinuxcn repo
>no need for AUR wrappers anymore
Based chinks.
>>
>>46766967
>xorg or alsa pre installed.
what if it is a headless machine?
jeez... these 12 year brainless faggots are early this year.
>>
>>46767665

>entering the chinese botnet

Stupid, simply stupid.
>>
arch is irrelevant ricer shit
fuck off

thanks
>>
>>46766967
when you run
pacstrap /mnt base
you can go ahead and add what you like there too, like
pacstrap /mnt base xorg-server xf86-video-radeon pulseaudio lxdm lxqt
etc, and they will install along with base
also, xorg may not be needed for some purposes, such as a server, and you don't need to install alsa, it comes with the kernel
>>
>>46767072
Why would it break? It's the same thing. Only without the copy and paste bullshit hassle.
>>
File: 1424201346591.png (2 KB, 100x66) Image search: [Google]
1424201346591.png
2 KB, 100x66
>>46766701
Hello!

Arch Women is a group that is committed to empowered women in an area where women are vastly underrepresented.

Arch Women has been around for 3 years now and it is your donations that keep us running.

Please consider giving a donation to keep us by going to : https://archwomen.org/donate/
>>
>>46768084
There are probably a total of 3 girls that installed arch in the whole world
>>
Got Arch running on my ThinkPad x60 Tablet.
Finally got the screen rotate button working. Still gotta get that stylus working.

Also got Arch running on a home server used as a seedbox.
>>
>>46767956
One can just compare the checksums of theirs and AUR-built packages to avoid that.
>>
>>46768084
Ew ew ew ew what the fuck
>>
>>46768235
You have thoroughly convinced me to switch to Microsoft Windows®.
>>
>>46768084
Grow Up.
>>
>>46768113
why the fuck would you need a screen rotate button? what a fucking waste of time
>>
>>46768270
Nice reading faggot.
It's a tablet.
>>
>>46767052
>What is the point of making your OS as much of a pain in the ass as possible?
It might be a pain in the ass for someone retarded, but for the people who rtfm it's a piece of cake.

Stay retarded, retard :^)
>>
>>46768288
>I use arch on a tablet
>>
>tfw I finally switch from windows to Arch full time
>development is 10000x easier to set up
>everything is fast and (relatively) easy and i get higher framerates in CS:GO

I should have believed sooner.
>>
>>46768314
>I post reddit memes
>>
>>46768317
>desktop
>linux
>gaming
>trip
a true definition of hipster
>>
>>46768334
It's a laptop actually. I have a gaming rig still with Win7 but I spend much more time on my X230
>>
Just installed crunchbang on an IBM T61, and daym this thing works nicely.

Love the keyboards on these things.

Not really sure what to do with it though, and crunchbang has been discontinued, with only crunchbang++ as the beta "sequel".

So, how is archbang?

I've never used arch, but I've installed gentoo on a laptop before. I really liked it, although it was a pain in the ass to compile everything once you needed to install something.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but do you need to set up special repositories for access to binaries with gentoo?
>>
>>46768314
More like
>I have a tablet
>>
>>46768371
>>46768314
>/g/ in charge of reading comprehension
>>
debian sid for life.
Also
>2015
>using SJW Os
Former Arch Linux User. Stop being blind you faggots. Having 30 thousand unsupported packages doesn't make AUR the best repo ever.
>>
>>46768394
Why did you switch?I'm all ears.
>>
>>46766701
installed/configured Arch using ais
feels gud
The hardest part about Arch is installing it and setting it up, maintenance is easy.
Installing it isn't even hard if you use a script.
>>
>>46768084
>this fucking tripfag
>in every arch thread
how old are you, 12?
>>
we use arch on our production servers (fortune 500 company) and so far it has been a blast for our admin team.
>>
>>46768394
enjoy you're dpkg, libav and freedumbs
>>
>>46766701
>thinks Gentoomen would come to a shitty ricerfest that is Arch general
what is wrong with you? only one is irrelevant with style
>>
>>46768509
>愛してるさわこ iBE/4wes0mE
>iBE/4wes0mE
>i
tripcodes start with !, not !
>>
>>46768550
wow, I fucked up there
should read: tripcodes start with !, not i
>>
>>46768084
>Pretending to be Sawako
kek
>>
>>46767931
But why would someone use a headless machine? You can't even see things.
>>
>>46768536
Enabling non-free repo is so hard. Libav is nice, and dpkg is more popular and I don't have to fuck around to find .pkg file. I am former and I know what I have lose and I know that it was worth it.
>>46768443
Mostly, cause Arch has bored me. The community are total asses mostly and there's no replacement. With debian I can use any people who use debian based OS. Also every Arch user on forums acts like 12 year old.
>>
>>46768600
So, you switched for non-technological reasons.

Too bad, this thread is for technology.
>>
>>46768618
>Arch appreciation thread.
is it?
>>
>>46768633
?

Arch is technology.
>>
>>46768657
You are retarded.
>>
>>46767068
are you posting on a netbook from the year 2004 because wpa_supplicant takes like 5 minutes to compile on a c2d from 2008
>>
>>46768566
>servers
>>
>>46768808
wpa_supplicant itself didn't take too long, but it required about 140 dependencies that took a whole night to install.
>>
I L.O.V.E arch, which I use on my laptop, for with it I've entered a glorious hipster realm where, because I followed a wiki's instructions and cut and pasted a few commands from it, I'm entitled to declare myself part of a master race of clearly better people.

I feel entitled to go on /g/ and bellow my apparent superiority at anyone else who dares not use the holy Arch!
I Sneer at those who choose differently. They are clearly mentally deranged, why choose anything but Arch!?!
I Worship Arch daily with -Syyuu, only through the command use of pacman, as GUIs are frowned upon, why use anything else?
I Deride operating systems with installers, even though the AIS and Evo/lution exist, I will always suppress their existence and publicly deride people who choose not to read a wiki, haha such fools for wanting choice! The only way is the Arch Way after all.

I enjoy the simple pleasure of mocking those who install deviations from the purity of Arch (I shall not mention the heretical names of those, they befoul the very internet and displease our Lord, Saviour and most verdant champions Allan McRae - hallowed be his unbiased blog posts).

I do not try to calmly and rationally explain why Arch is better, merely namecall, as I am obviously superior and have no need to reduce ourselves to rational discourse to explain my superior nature for choosing the MOST superior of all Operating Systems.

Most of all, READ THE WIKI, READ THE WIKI OR DIE, HAVE YOU READ THE WIKI, DON'T USE ANYTHING BUT THE WIKI, READ THE WIKI ALWAYS READ THE WIKI NEVER NOT READING THE WIKI!
>>
>>46769092
>cut and pasted
>no gui

good try debianfag
>>
>>46768618
If you want technological reason, that the fucking AUR is such unmaintained piece of shit that is unusable.
>>
>>46769175
You're not denying the sentiment tho
>>
I installed Arch yesterday because I was interested in using the AUR. I swear to god the yaourt script is the ugliest thing I've ever used. I also would never know if I needed to install something from the arch repo or the aur based on my other programs i've installed in debian and fedora. I also had dependency issues on the first package I tried to install (VMD) from the AUR. Additionally the powertop-autotune-systemd script in the aur didn't even enable itself in system.d so that whole affair was pointless.

I did learn how to configure netctl manually to connect to my university PEAP/MSCHAPv2, which is sort of pointless considering that every other distro I've used will connect automatically. I learned a lot about GPT, mountpoints, etc.

So all in all, a great learning experience, but an unusable distro for day to day use do to the unreliability of the repos.
>>
>>46769228
>Additionally the powertop-autotune-systemd script in the aur didn't even enable itself in system.d
things enabling and starting themselves upon install is something i disliked about debian/ubuntu
>>
File: full_archfag.png (166 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
full_archfag.png
166 KB, 1024x768
>>
>>46769092
>not using gentoo
pleb
>>
>>46769198
As opposed to nothing?
>>
>>46769228
Which is why you should(unironically) install gentoo. You learn much more about the system and if you're not using the AUR there's virtually no benefit of using Arch over Gentoo.
>>
File: truth.png (292 KB, 1682x2684) Image search: [Google]
truth.png
292 KB, 1682x2684
>>
Arch fo lyf
>>
File: arch.png (127 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
arch.png
127 KB, 400x400
>>46769265
>>46769092
>>
>>46769264
Isn't that the whole idea of having a systemd script in the aur? A download and an installation?

>>46769284
I'd rather just compile it myself than install something that is fucked up

>>46769289
Afraid of dat kernel config tho
>>
>>46766967
>Why does it have a CLI install in 2015?
The same reason why wheels or fire still exist in 2015, it fucking works (retards need not apply).
>>
>>46769312
>I'd rather litter my filesystem than have a package
Huh, okay.
>>
>>46769312
Don't be. It's a matter of writing down your systems components and being able to read through a list decently carefully.
>>
File: duck.jpg (153 KB, 500x359) Image search: [Google]
duck.jpg
153 KB, 500x359
>>46769299
>>
>>46769284
As opposed to bigger repos and easily downloadable .deb files. Also:

>rolling distro on servers
have fun with that every day 0 exploits. Install something normal for server jak centOS, or debian stable.
>>
>>46769329
>littering my filesystem

>he doesn't use a build directory
>>
>>46767052
I don't know, but seeing how many people use Windows and OSX, I can only assume there's some reason why it's so popular. Maybe most people are into anal?
>>
>>46769294

conor oberst <3
>>
So I just installed arch and I have a couple questions.

1. I had ~40 gig unallocated drive space that I installed arch on. Everything is on this partition. Yet it says I only have 9.49 GB of space on conky. Is this an error or did something go wrong?

2. I'm on a laptop and I know people bitch about systemd all the time. Is there an alternative I can use for power management?
>>
>>
>>46769292
>tfw everything on this is true
Everyone on arch forums acts like pretentious hipster.
Minimal debian is often lighter than Arch. Also, give me popular architecture which debian can't run on?
>>
>>46767307
>>there's no bloat that's being put on the computer.
>meaningless buzzword post

>>46769264
>things enabling and starting themselves upon install is something i disliked about debian/ubuntu
that's perfectly reasonable, why would you install something and not want to run it?
>>
>>46769350
make install will place whatever it wants into the filesystem, and you're the one who has to track it.

I'd rather have an AUR script generate a proper package.

>>46769348
>bigger repos
Tell me about how Debian unstable has, KDE 5 or GNOME 3.16. It doesn't, because no matter how big its repo is, you can't outpace the community. To get those, people will recommend community-maintained PPAs. Well shit, in that case, you might as well be using Arch.

>rolling distro on servers
I never said that.
>>
>>46769419
>implying that KDE and GNOME aren't bloat
>>
>>46769439
>complains about Arch users being minimalists
>complains about bloat
And nice quoting, faggot.
>>
>>46769228
>Additionally the powertop-autotune-systemd script in the aur didn't even enable itself in system.d so that whole affair was pointless.
Wow, are you too stupid to enable a script in systemd? If the installer doesn't do it for you, then you give up?

>I swear to god the yaourt script is the ugliest thing I've ever used.
yaourt isn't part of Arch, it's a third party program. And why the hell aren't you using pacaur?

>I also would never know if I needed to install something from the arch repo or the aur based on my other programs i've installed in debian and fedora
Maybe do a search?

>>46769228
>I did learn how to configure netctl manually to connect to my university PEAP/MSCHAPv2, which is sort of pointless considering that every other distro I've used will connect automatically
Please post the package you are using to automatically hack into MSCHAP auth access points.

>>46769228
>do to the unreliability of the repos
Nigger what. AUR is probably bigger than the repos of all of the other distros combined, and works flawless.

PEBCAK
>>
>>46769419
>that's perfectly reasonable, why would you install something and not want to run it?
You mean, why would you install something and not want it to run automatically on startup? Oh, I don't know, maybe the same reason why I don't want my computer to automatically execute every binary on every USB drive inserted into it like the whore Windows is?
>>
>>46769430
those PPAs are often officially maintained, so yes still better than Arch

>>46769492
has nothing to do with security since packages already install as root
>>
>>46769092

Yes you can run Arch by copying and pasting. But if you don't understand and are not interested in the Arch Way, your system will die a painful death somewhere along the way. Arch is for people that want to follow the Arch Way. If you want to install it for memes then it's your fault if you get a negative experience. No need to feel inferior.
>>
>>46769430
Arch is bleeding edge distro, you will get very risky packages which need testing. Thank god, that arch looks so friendly that it is great test field for testing hyper-new packages. We have bigger official repos, which are maintained slower but safer. Remeber that for numbers: KDE 4.5=KDE 5, it is still few packages. Also a lot of packes in AUR are just edited .debs. I will never say that Arch is useless. Phaw, I still have another laptop with Arch installed, and I am to lazy to install sid. And I will still stay with same point: All linux distros are equal.
>>
>>46769545
>PPAs
>often officially maintained
Just stop.
>>
>>46766701
I use antergos as my main distro. I like bleeding edge stuff for haskell development. It also helps that a large part of the haskell community uses arch.

I've had relatively few issues with it. Wifi worked out of the box, but Gnome/KDE/XFCE all had small problems (shitty variable width fonts in terminal, wrapping behavior is messed up, wifi modal doesn't pop up), but these are minor annoyances and I can solve them by installing a different terminal emulator. (I solved it by changing to ksh, but whatever).
>>
>>46767287
How much faster would that be with a gui ?
The correct answer is this - it depends.
For people who are experienced with working with the command line and a have some knowledge about what makes their operating systems tick, the CLI is probably faster.
For people who don't care, the gui will most definitely be the better choice.

The thing about these retards that leaves me without a clue is the fact that they have such a strong opinion about something that gives more choice. It's not like the existence of a different distribution of linux/operating system actively makes their lives worse. In fact, just because it is a different choice, it makes their lives better by actively making other peoples lives better (because we rely on each other, yadda yadda, easing the life of a fellow human being most likely will make your own life easier).
>>
>>46766701
Welcome:
>virgins

FTFY
>>
>>46769465
>Wow, are you too stupid to enable a script in systemd? If the installer doesn't do it for you, then you give up?

No, I wanted to see what AUR would do for me and it seemed like a simple test. It is just stupid that the script wouldn't go ahead and enable the damn service itself.

>yaourt isn't part of Arch, it's a third party program. And why the hell aren't you using pacaur?

I tried pacaur and it kept giving me errors about incorrect metadata. Considering that your whole argument is that AUR IS AWESOME, perhaps it should be considered as part of the distro. Otherwise, Arch has literally nothing going for it.

>Maybe do a search?
dnf search "" is way easier

>Please post the package you are using to automatically hack into MSCHAP auth access points.
Not hacking, just connecting, I had to set up a wpa-configsection with all of that esoteric bullshit that other distros fill out for you

>Nigger what. AUR is probably bigger than the repos of all of the other distros combined, and works flawless.

bigger!=better
>>
>$ pacman -Syu
>$ virtualbox
>WARNING: The vboxdrv kernel module is not loaded. Either there is no module
>           available for the current kernel (3.18.6-1-ARCH) or it failed to
>           load. Please reinstall the kernel module virtualbox-host-modules or
>           if you don't use our stock kernel compile the modules with
>           
>           sudo dkms autoinstall
>
>           You will not be able to start VMs until this problem is fixed.

every goddamn time
>>
>>46769545
Oh, another debianee here! Wheezy, jessie or sid or even the dark lands of experemental(probably still less risky than arch). Sid user as you may know from other posts.
>>
>>46769557
>All linux distros are equal.
Some are more equal than others.

>tfw Arch can use systemd, uselessd, busybox, openrc, minirc, etc.
>>
>>46769578
>I wanted to see what AUR would do for me
>Arch User... Repository
>expecting a repository to set up his system
>>
>>46769381
I usually make a 200-700 ext2 partition for boot. And a swapfile. Not sure if I ever need a swap file. But I just do.
>>
>>46769604
I at least expected it to install the first two programs I tried to use it for. Since both failed miserably I decided to cut my losses. If you want to see for yourself, trying installing VMD from the AUR. It was the whole reason I tried arch because I hate compiling/configuring that thing and I've done it like 10 times in the past year.
>>
>>46769628
And, how easier was it on other distros?
>>
>>46769559
official as in the actual developers, as a 3rd party, not canonical you stupid cunt

it may be hard for you to understand, arch needing shell scripts because they have zero 3rd party support
>>
>>46769605
>ext2
>boot

nigga, do you even UEFI?
>>
>>46769591
>tfw debian is still more compatible with everything
>tfw debian can use gnu hurd or kFreeBSD
>tfw debian can run on arm,MIPS, PowerPC and much other
Compability is not argument if you want to defend arch.
>>
>>46769439
Gnome isn't very bloat on Arch. if I were to install right now it'd be 99 packages. I can show proof if need be.
>>
>>46769579
>(3.18.6-1-ARCH)
>not (3.18.8*)

lol, casuals. casuals everywhere.
>>
>>46769578
>It is just stupid that the script wouldn't go ahead and enable the damn service itself.
If you wanted things done for you, consider buying Apple. You don't even have to think anymore since Apple does that for you!

>>46769578
>Not hacking, just connecting, I had to set up a wpa-configsection with all of that esoteric bullshit that other distros fill out for you
You must've fucked up. My uni connection (MSCHAP also) took a minute to configure.

>I tried pacaur and it kept giving me errors about incorrect metadata.
I'm not sure how you are fucking up this badly since I never had this problem.

>>46769578
>bigger!=better
For a package repo? Bigger definitely is better.
>mfw find package
>not in Debian/Ubuntu repo
>no PPAs
>COMPILE FROM SOURCE MOTHERFUCKER WHO NEEDS PACKAGE MANAGEMENT
>Arch
>it's in the AUR

>>46769578
>dnf search ""
pacman -Ss penis
Wow, such hard.
>>
>>46766701
Gentoo and LFS have absolutely nothing to do with Arch.

I don't know why you would even group them.
>>
>>46769579
It literally tells you what's wrong and how to fix it.

If it's bothering you that much file a bug report and write a bash script to fix it automatically. Oh wait, bash must be too hard for you.
>>
>>46769648
>not 3.3.27-xTrEmE-uNsTabLe

pleb
>>
File: file.png (24 KB, 1462x83) Image search: [Google]
file.png
24 KB, 1462x83
>>46769656
>>
>>46769636
Are you saying developers don't maintain AUR packages? Because they do.
>>
I've never had a successful installation of ubuntu.

I'm currently on arch mainly because I didn't need to play dice with the installer. It worked after I had punched the commands in and I went from there.
>>
>>46769688
What are you trying to say? "Could you please read this to me, kind anon?"
>>
>>46769701
package developers, not distro maintainers.
>>
>>46769682
Jokes on your, poorfag, I use NT6.1.
>>
>>46769656
You haven't used debian.
>>
>>46769732
>package developers
You don't develop packages, anon.
>>
>>46769656
>If you wanted things done for you, consider buying Apple. You don't even have to think anymore since Apple does that for you!

I figured that sudo yaogurt -S powertop-autotune-systemd.service
password
y
y
y
y
y

Would be enough to install the fucking thing. I've got to then look at what the service is named at sudo systemctl enable it.

They might as well just provide a rawtext file then so I could do it myself in 1/10 the time. If that's the Arch Way then it doesn't make any sense to me.
>>
>>46769672

I didn't.
>>
>>46769732
What? Packaging is a huge part of distro maintaining.
>>
>>46769750
Which is old as fuck or buggy as fuck.
In this day and age, I can't see a reason for using non rolling release distribution on the desktop. For servers, it's either CentOS, or if you're doing development- Arch.
>>46769761
Wait, wat ? How would that differ from sudo apt-get install service && sudo service service-name start ?
>>46769770
>AUR
>Arch user repository
AUR is great and all, but I wouldn't pull libc or anything critical off of it.
>>
File: a.jpg (700 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
700 KB, 1920x1080
>>46769628
idk what the fuck this thing is but it's working

if you got a file missing error it's because you didn't read the pkgbuild, which states that you must download the vmd package from the linked site and place it in the pkgbuild folder (in the case of yaourt, it'll be /tmp/yaourt-tmp-<username>/vmd)

presumably the reason for this is because you need to register on their site to download anything, so the pkgbuild can't hotlink to it
>>
File: debian.png (3 KB, 617x251) Image search: [Google]
debian.png
3 KB, 617x251
>>46769750
>implying
My mail and web server runs Debian.
>>
>>46769788
Did you misquote me or are you really conflating the Arch offical repos with the AUR?
>>
>>46769788
One word.
and also, yes it will be easier cause we have to click y once to install package

sid.

also
your distro doesn't suck
you suck
>>
>>46769819
They were talking about AUR and who maintains packages in AUR.
>>46769837
If you do a pacman -S or yaourt -S a package which is in the pacman repos, you only have to confirm once. If you're that butthurt about confirmation, then please add --no-confirm at the end of every transaction. Even better, alias pacman and yaourt to pacman --noconfirm and yaourt --noconfirm respectively.
And wasn't Sid the distro which couldn't get systemd right ?
>>
>>46769672
Arch's user base is literally the clueless people that tried Gentoo but couldn't figure it out.
>>
>>46769887
i used gentoo before moving to arch
>>
Can we stop with all the ad-hominem and other fallacies? This isn't technology.
>>
>>46769896
>expecting to have an objective discussion about widely available rolling release DIY distributions without trolling and bullshit
This is /g/, pls go, newfag.
>>
>>46769887

What advantages does Gentoo have over Arch?
>>
>>46769917
Easier to setup if you want to compile most of your packages on your own. Basically, it's a finer grained way of configuring linux.
>>
>tfw using debian
>tfw posting in this thread and archfags can't stop me

Stay stable out there folks, it's a nasty world.
>>
>>46769950

nice meme, friend
>>
>>46769917
You get a very finely tuned system which can be as stable or bleeding edge as you want. It's great for server setups when you won't be compiling too many large GUI packages like XOrg.
>>
>>46769950
Yeah, you're so happy with Debian, that instead of making a Debian appreciation thread, you have to shitpost.

Truly Debianfriends are the most stable individuals.
>>
>>46769294

Can you share your ncmpcpp "song_columns_list_format"?
>>
>>46769557

>you will get very risky packages which need testing.

Why do you spread wrong information? How are they risky? Why do they need more testing than, let's say, Firefox on Windows? There's literally no difference between Firefox in the Arch repos and downloading the latest Firefox for Windows. The same applies to any other software.
>>
File: aaaaaaaa.jpg (57 KB, 400x526) Image search: [Google]
aaaaaaaa.jpg
57 KB, 400x526
>>
>>46770152

nice meme

haven't seen that one in like 5 years
>>
File: edgy_allan.jpg (27 KB, 378x429) Image search: [Google]
edgy_allan.jpg
27 KB, 378x429
>>
File: 0x0001.jpg (31 KB, 433x470) Image search: [Google]
0x0001.jpg
31 KB, 433x470
>>46770152
pic related, your bait
>>
File: archtard.jpg (104 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
archtard.jpg
104 KB, 400x400
>>
I wonder if anyone at all stops using Arch due to shitposts on /g/.
>>
>>46770152
>Autists arrive in thread demanding an explanation of why Arch users prefer Arch. Then proceed to claim they brag about it.
You need to update your picture too, it's so old now, and you've surely graduated highschool by now right?
>>
>>46770350
>taking the bait
>>
>>46770177
Underated post.
I like Arch but I can't stand this lying fuck.
>>
>>46770361
Pointing out the bait, really.
>>
>>46766838
RTFM
>>
>>46767402
>I really want to use outdated kernels

so why is arch still on 3.18?
>>
>>46768103
I know at least 4 girls that have installed arch. does one of them have a penis?
>>
>>46770432
4 hambeasts or traps
>>
>>46770440
hamtraps
>>
>>46770432
on a stream with her tits hanging out for donations?
>>
Post -Syu.
:: Synchronizing package databases...
infinality-bundle-multilib is up to date
infinality-bundle is up to date
infinality-bundle-fonts is up to date
core is up to date
extra is up to date
community is up to date
multilib is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
there is nothing to do
>>
>>46770467
so edgy
>>
>>46770440
Nope. I'm not even including the one obvious trap in my counting.
>>
>>46770461
No, in real life. I work in a university computer science department.
>>
>>46770377
what's he lied about?
>>
>>46770501
Where all the qt.pi grills hangout...ROFL
>>
>>46770514
Are you 12?
>>
File: allan.jpg (23 KB, 378x429) Image search: [Google]
allan.jpg
23 KB, 378x429
>>46770535
pic related, it's me
>>
>>46770551
What did he do?
>>
File: McRapist.png (55 KB, 487x286) Image search: [Google]
McRapist.png
55 KB, 487x286
>>46770569
>>
>>46767108
could you send us a screenshot with screenfetch?
>>
>>46770581
Okay?
>>
>>46770600
He raped Linux From Stratch (LFS) and repackaged it as Arch
>>
>>46770613
And?
>>
>>46770427
>what is linux-mainline
>>
>>46770634
>bleeding-edge
>recent version not on main tree

yeah, fuck off.
>>
>>46770629
youdensemotherfucker.png
>>
>>46770569
Spewed a bunch of bullshit about the Manjaro distro. I can understand being angry about basically stealing Arch's work and making a spin off, but the rest of his claims sounded like the rants of an angry Windows fanboy. Read his blog and see for yourself.
>>
>>46770686
He also dislikes Chakra and other arch derivatives too.

Totally hate all those that forks of Arch that stray from "HURR DURR ARCH WAI"
>>
>>46770686
Plus he once raped someone for installing gentoo.
True story.
>>
>>46766967
Look into Antergos... I was pissed when I found out there was a bloated Arch, seems to go against The Arch Way, but it might suit you.
>>
>>46770741
or Manjaro, both Antergos and Manjaro are good.
>>
Arch Masterrace reporting in
>>
>>46770717
hambeast or trap?
>>
http://fabianpas.nl/why-i-love-arch-linux/
>>
>>46769430
At least you only need to recompile and reinstall the program before you can uninstall it. I mean, who needs to keep the compiled shit anyways?
>>
>>46769228
....duh fuq are you talking about?
GNOME's network manager will take care of most any network security and protocol that exists. Plus it isn't only locked to just GNOME users. With a little tweaking, you can use it in virtually every DE.
The repos are perfectly reliable, the only ones that can be flakey are the unofficial ones (which can break Arch anyways).
For a home user or day to day user, one doesn't even need to touch the AUR. Any package necessary is in the official repos. The only reason a program is in the AUR is because the developer isn't working on it as heavily (sometimes not at all).
You need to play with Arch more if your complaining about shit like this. Go back to Linux Mint or Ubuntu if you don't want to configure anything.
>>
File: No.png (17 KB, 134x180) Image search: [Google]
No.png
17 KB, 134x180
I ran apt-get autoremove and it removed 350MB of packages including the DE.

It's like I'm really using Arch.
>>
>>46771006

It did it job. It removed useless shit. Now install xmonad and learn Haskell.
>>
File: arch.png (28 KB, 383x400) Image search: [Google]
arch.png
28 KB, 383x400
>>
>>46769312
>Afraid of dat kernel config tho
it is literally ticking boxes
>>
>>46771099
The good old days.
>>
File: 1424871978906.png (133 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
1424871978906.png
133 KB, 1366x768
I finally installed Arch and I'm trying to learn more about window managers Can someone tell me what this guy is using? What WM is that? What sort of apps is he using? (that browser, the audio player, etc)
>>
>>46771139
That's Gentoo with i3wm. Nice choice.
>>
>>46770993
>The only reason a program is in the AUR is because the developer isn't working on it as heavily (sometimes not at all).
Or due to licensing issues, which I imagine to be the reason Dropbox isn't in the official repos.
>>
>>46771166
Thanks. I'll take a look at i3wm. There are so many fucking window managers out there I don't really know where to start!
>>
>>46768394
is fedora a SJW OS?
>>
File: 1422952365620.jpg (140 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1422952365620.jpg
140 KB, 1920x1080
hey, if I wanted to try out the gentoo live DVD, which version should I pick? AMD64 or x86? ( the system I would probably tested on would be core I-5 2600, it's a 64-bit CPU but it's also x86.... so I'm not sure

same question if I was going to use it on an AMD phenom II 720 three core
Thread replies: 223
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.