[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
According to various people on /g/: Unity: worse than Hitler
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 14
File: ubuntu.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ubuntu.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
According to various people on /g/:

Unity: worse than Hitler
GNOME 3: pretty good but a bit bloated and infested with feminists
KDE: bloated, clunky cancer designed by Germans with terrible taste
XFCE: for people who think Windows 98 is the best OS ever
LXQt: not even good enough for a embedded dumb terminal xmonad/wmii/dwm: 2 month learning curve just to do basic things with your PC, wayland support never

Is there not a single desktop environment for Linux that's good?
>>
I'm using Gnome 3. I like it.
>>
MATE
>>
Cinnamon: GNOME 3 with a panel and the feminists replaced with terrorists.
>>
i guarantee in a few months time as kde plasma 5 becomes more accessible through distro release channels that popular perceptions of kde will shift as the majority of people on this board have literally never used kde 4 and just repeat what people have being saying for years about the previous kde releases (which are largely true, but plasma 5 represents a giant paradigm shift for KDE and it's pretty as fuck now which people have already started to notice)
>>
In terms of design
GNOME>KDE>XFCE=LXQt>Unity

In terms of support
GNOME=KDE>XFCE=LXQt>Unity

In terms of bloat
KDE>GNOME>LXQt=XFCE>Unity

In terms of deprecatedness
Unity>LXQt=KDE>XFCE>GNOME
>>
>>46729186
>>46729188
>MATE
>Cinnamon
What do all these forks have common? They're deprecated GNOME forks.

The only DEs that matter are GNOME, KDE, XFCE, LXQt and Unity.
>>
>>46729174
>XFCE: for people who think Windows 98 is the best OS ever
They're not wrong. I mean this merely as an aesthetics / holistic kind of thing, not talking about deprecated Win98 tech.
>>
>>46729210
Actually Cinnamon is the mainline desktop environment of the first or second most popular distribution in the Linux world and is very relevant. Just because it makes your precious Xfce look bad doesn't mean you can go around saying anything about it.
>>
>>46729210
xfce's shambling corpse only continues to ambulate for the autists that use it to mesh with a tiling wm, and no one uses lxqt.
>>
>>46729210

Cinnamon is Based off Gnome 3. Its as deprecated as Unity (i.e. not at all)
>>
>>46729226
>first or second most popular distribution in the Linux

>mint fags actually believe this
>>
>>46729252
See, there you go again with the saying anything you want knowing full well you're full of shit.
>>
>>46729174

You clearly know nothing if you think XFCE is kin to windows 98.
>>
File: subhumans.jpg (33 KB, 849x453) Image search: [Google]
subhumans.jpg
33 KB, 849x453
>>46729226
>second most popular distribution
>Mint
Top kek

Let's face it. There are 3 mainstream distros and 2 autist distros that matter. Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora and Arch, Gentoo.

That's it. Every other (desktop) Linux-based distribution could disappear tomorrow and nothing of value would be lost. That includes Mint and eOS.
>>
>>46729174
>Unity: Mac ish
>GNOME 3: Tablet ish
>KDE: Windows ish
>XFCE: Old Windows ish
>LXQt: not ready, check back in a couple months
xmonad/wmii/dwm: print out a shortcut cheat sheet
>>
>>46729174

Who gave you this laughable idea?

For the other 2

>GNOME 3: buggy, bloated and unresponsive piece of garbage trying hard to mimic osx

>KDE: bloated, clunky cancer designed by Germans with terrible taste
>>
>>46729263
>
>>
>>46729263
and OpenSUSE
>>
>>46729174
>Unity: worse than Hitler
I don't see your point. It's still masterrace then.
>>
Lxqt is not even that bad
What's this about a 2 month learning curve? It took me 0 seconds to learn, it's intuitive as fuck

Lubuntu now is what Ubuntu was then

>>46729286
He's right except he forgot slack
>>
>>46729272
>trying hard to mimic osx

Have you ever even tried GNOME3? It's absolutely nothing like OSX.

This coming from someone that runs OSX on laptop and GNOME on desktop.
>>
>>46729290
are there any suse users on this board? legitimately curious, sometimes i wonder if there's someone coming here who actually uses solaris too.
>>
File: opensuse.png (95 KB, 547x435) Image search: [Google]
opensuse.png
95 KB, 547x435
>>46729290
>>
kde>xfce>>>>>>>>>unity>gnome
gnome is just garbage
>>
>>46729319
There are plenty around late afternoon GMT+1 or 2 when the krautfags are active.
>>
>>46729320
>>46729319
A lot of my profs at uni use that. I don't like it, but some people really use it.
>>
>>46729319
It was one of my first distros for about a year
>>
>>46729325
I disagree with you on this.

I find KDE too bloated. It's shiny and ugly, loses base functionality with all the eye candies.
Gnome on the other hand is heading to a more minimalistic way and does the job well. It requires some time to get used to, but once you are all set, it's great for work.
>>
>>46729360
Although KFramework5 seems impressive. I'll check it out once a stable release is out.
>>
>>46729309
You're just as dumb as him.
>>
Just learn to use a TWM.

Watching people drag their mouse aroud to move windows looks hilarious now that I use xmonad. Windows 95 drove proper computing interaction off a cliff and retards continue to take the same route to this day.
>>
File: Laughing_Nigga.gif (1 MB, 175x131) Image search: [Google]
Laughing_Nigga.gif
1 MB, 175x131
>>46729394
>
>>
>>46729312
>It's absolutely nothing like OSX

This shows only how much of a fail they are. Activities, how retarded is that, lol

And yes, I tried it and it was shit.
>>
Unity is fine, can be rather slow on old machines, but its really accessible and looks good and works without any hassle.
Gnome3 is polished but the developers are doing some stupid ass design decisions that make the usability worse than it had to be. If they just got their shit together and made a few small changes Gnome3 would basically deprecate everything else.
KDE is ridiculously feature-rich and extensive but it looks like ass.

Choose one of those, they all are "good".
>>
>>46729406
You didn't try it. You didn't even find out what the start button did.
>>
>fluxbox
eurotrash that want to pretend they are hax0rs
>>
>>46729174
I like Gnome 3. Heck, back in the Gnome 2 days I had Compiz configured to behave mostly like Gnome 3 does now.
I've tried KDE several times, but never liked it enough to switch. It just doesn't feel quite right.

That said, I'm an anonyous poster on 4chan. This means I may be insane an/or weird. (I also may be a robot cleverly fooling the captcha system)
>>
>>46729417
>developers are doing some stupid ass design decisions that make the usability worse than it had to be
name 1
>>
>>46729426
Removing tree view from file browser completely, then after some crying of users adding it back again but making it opt in in settings, so its still not available by default.
>>
>2010 + 6 - 1
>using a DE
Plebeians gonna pleb
>>
>>46729210
>being this retarded
>>
>>46729319
I used it for about a year until a month ago when I switched to fedora
>>
>>46729508
i'm curious about fedora sometimes but i honestly cannot get over the fact that its brand identity is based around a fedora, and i realize how ridiculous that being a dealbreaker is, but for real, fucking Fedora.
>>
File: 1418465033207.gif (3 MB, 480x292) Image search: [Google]
1418465033207.gif
3 MB, 480x292
>>46729210
>deprecated
>>
>>46729527
You know the fedora was still regarded high fashion until /v/ found that Facebook picture in 2011.
>>
>>46729527
Fedora is really just a beta test bed for the other Red Hat distributions, you aren't actually missing anything.

If you want the experience of a clean and unpolished "enterprise" distribution, that ships things bleeding edge but default and uncustomized, a package format that works well but has just a little bit less packages than .DEB you might want to try out Fedora.
>>
>>46729563
Says the person who runs Debian Testing on a desktop.
>>
>>46729210
>They're deprecated
You mean depreciated, right?
>>
>>46729603
No, I mean deprecated
>>
>>46729621
defecated
>>
>>46729603
How can software depreciate? Was /mu/ right about rotational velocidensity?
>>
Why does everyone always forget about lxde?
-no bullshit ui
-runs smoothly on a potato
-actually available for daily use (other than it's successor)
-just werks
-ugly doe
>>
>>46729667
i'm not bound by the resource constraints that would normally dictate use of lxde so i don't use it.
>>
>>46729667
>ugly
>not customizable at all
>is deprecated by the existence of RAM sticks with capacities greater than 1GB
>>
>>46729667
Deprecated by LXQt, deprecated by having more than 1GB of RAM by using a superior DE such as KDE or GNOME.
>>
>>46729527
I avoid ordering plain pizza for similar reasons despite being my favorite.
>>
>>46729603

Google 'deprecated' next time and you won't make a fool of yourself.
>>
>>46729698
>>not customizable at all
I thought openbox was supposed to be pretty customizable
>>
>>46729667

PCmanFM is a god awful name and vastly inferior to thunar.

Otherwise lxde is okay.
>>
>>46729735
A customizable window manager isn't going to help much with that ugly panel just sitting there.
>>
>>46729746
It's a FM made by the PCMan, what else would you have called it? It's also slightly better than Thunar.
>>
I actually do like Unity but my second choice is Gnome 3. I'd love to be a KDE guy but the defaults are horrible and I just have not been able to set it up in a way that I like (and I've tried). XFCE is actually pretty great but it just does some things... Strange to me. LXDE was never my thing but LXQt is actually looking pretty solid. MATE is a pretty solid choice, especially the Ubuntu MATE spin, Martin Wimpress is doing some good shit over there. He's got multiple menu styles built in, the traditional Gnome 2 style, "Redmond" which works like XP, MATE menu which is just the old Mint Menu from the Gnome 2 days, and some thing else that I always forget. Other than that, Cinnamon is decent. If you hate all of those, try a tiling Window Manager. I liked i3 at first because if it's defaults but have since moved to DWM on my development machine.
>>
>>46729426
inability to change where the clock is displayed
minimized windows are hidden from you they could easily be displayed on the top bar because there's plenty of unused space
no dock
inability to fix the touch bottom for messages thing without extensions

gnome-3 literally becomes one of the best DEs when you fix these things with extensions
>>
File: freebsd.png (468 KB, 1024x600) Image search: [Google]
freebsd.png
468 KB, 1024x600
Why doesn't someone fork KDE, remove all it's bullshit and create a light weight, near verbatim copy of Aero?

How do Linux devs fuck up so bad and for so long?
>>
File: 1378070021843.png (18 KB, 379x214) Image search: [Google]
1378070021843.png
18 KB, 379x214
I use xmonad

only 2000 lines of beautiful haskell. It is to be a productive member of the gnu/linux society. You have to learn all the shortcuts by heart but now I would not want to change it, also it starts and restarts in less then a second you can add programming to it if you want to make is yours but I leave it standard because I have more workstations
>>
>>46729840
can you define specifically what bullshit you want removed?
>>
>>46729840
lxqt soon
>>
>>46729805
>inability to change where the clock is displayed
extensions
>minimized windows are hidden from you they could easily be displayed on the top bar because there's plenty of unused space
alt
>no dock
not a bug
>inability to fix the touch bottom for messages thing without extensions
messages are being reworked in 3.16
>>
>>46729848

Pretty much everything. Keep Kwin, have a nice taskbar ripped straight from windows and a concise start menu.

And limit the absurd amount of customisability. The average user doesn't need the ability to customise every aspect of every individual window. Too much choice is confusing and off-putting.
>>
>>46729846
post a webm of it in action

i bet it looks like shit
>>
>>46729898
>And limit the absurd amount of customisability. The average user doesn't need the ability to customise every aspect of every individual window. Too much choice is confusing and off-putting.
Gnome developers, please go
>>
File: maui-0.5.1-appchooser.png (251 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
maui-0.5.1-appchooser.png
251 KB, 800x600
>>46729840
>Why doesn't someone fork KDE
Apparently someone did, it's called Hawaii Shell.
>>
>>46729733
de·pre·ci·ate
>diminish in value over a period of time.
>"the pound is expected to depreciate against the dollar"
>synonyms: decrease in value, lose value, fall in price

dep·re·cate
>express disapproval of.
>"he sniffed in a deprecating way"
>synonyms: deplore, abhor, disapprove of, frown on, take a dim view of, take exception to, detest, despise;

To say MATE and Cinnamon have depreciated as GNOME has improved in quality would be a useful statement. "X and Y are now bad because [no reason given]" is barely an opinion, and can be applied to anything. It is worthless as a statement. The first statement can be demonstrated by looking at the user-bases of each desktop environment. The latter can't be demonstrated without applying arbitrary and personal criteria, and doesn't make sense to begin with because user-bases for those desktop environments exist.

>>46729641
One example being Ozmet, A., Schechter, S. E., 2006, "Milk or Wine: Does Software Security Improve with Age?", Security ’06: 15th USENIX Security Symposium. Software depreciation is a very common subject, especially in fields that deal with creating software for use in-house. Security, cost of development, the emergence of new platforms and technologies, and most other factors that need to be considered when starting a project are done so in an attempt to keep the software from depreciating for the longest possible time.

XFCE is depreciating due to the emerging technology that is Wayland, because they are using a very lightly maintained version of a widget toolkit.
>>
File: Screen Shot.png (55 KB, 690x212) Image search: [Google]
Screen Shot.png
55 KB, 690x212
>>46729954
>>
>>46729898
>have a nice taskbar ripped straight concise start menu
Please no, they should rather adapt more from the OSX dock, its way more intuitive. Start menu is everything but concise, its a collection of arbitrary things stuffed together into one popup. It wouldn't even work well since the META-Key is a modifier in Qt and using it for opening the start menu would cause trouble with applications.

Also they need to include Mission-Control like switching between workspaces like Gnome3, or OSX does.
>>
I use OSX and if I could do away with the dock I would, it was nice in the past, but it's not necessary any more.
>>
>>46729962
>X and Y are now synonym because [no reason given]
>still a worthless statement
>>
>>46729998
meant to quote you >>46729965
>>
>>46729203
>gnome
>less bloat than lxqt and xfce
>>
>>46729174
You forgot
Pantheon: gay, like literally gay, still better-looking and less bloated than Gnome although most of the included software should be replaced
LXDE: so far the best, though it needs some time to look good
>>
>>46730045
>gay, like literally gay
desktop environments don't have sexualities anon
>>
>>46730079
yet
>>
>>46729862

>not a bug
this was about design decisions, not bugs. the point is valid.

>extensions
extensions are great, but that doesn't change the fact that some of the gnome defaults are not optimal for many users.

>messages are being reworked in 3.16
fair enough.
>>
>>46729952

it uses some KDE tech but it's not a full-fledged fork.
>>
>>46729174
>KDE: bloated, clunky cancer designed by Germans with terrible taste
That's simply wrong.

The only thing wrong is that it most of the time comes with shitty defaults.

The rest of your list is retarded as well.

>According to various people on /g/
>2015
>taking some opinion of some dumbnuts from /g/ into account
>>
>>46729901
XMonad fag here. I don't understand how in 2015 people still subject themselves to move their windows manually. Let the computer do it for you.
>>
The only issue with xfce is that it's not tied to any big distro. Which means no devs.
>>
>>46731861
Like the computer could know what I wanted for my main window and what for my two side windows.

>inb4 I just meant key shorts
Your average DE can do that too, they just happen to be miserably configured 99% of the time because distributors are a bunch of pretentious failures doing retarded stuff like backporting and such.
>>
>>46729174
Unity: Not great, but usable. Basically OS X + Windows 7.
GNOME 3: Not great, but usable. Ranges from "What is this?" to "Wow, look at this not-OS X!"
KDE: Perpetually years behind in terms of visual design and inconsistent as fuck.
XFCE: Outdated shit that people insist on using because they want a shitty rip-off of Windows with an OS X dock.
LXQt: Not finished.
xmonad/wmii/dwm: Good if you don't mind effectively having to do everything via keyboard shortcuts and manually editing anything you want to change because making things easily usable at a glance is for fucking normies.
>>
>>46729174
Why is this so hard?
open box and tint2
>>
bspwm.
>>
>>46731915
Xubuntu, mah Xfce bro.
>>
>>46732288
>Xubuntu, the Big Distribution
Literally who?
>>
>>46731985
fucking this
>>
>>46729335
Same here. University has OpenSUSE and Fedora. For whatever reason
>>
>>46732135

does bspwm still lack a tabbed mode?

what the fuck. this shit keeps me on i3wm. I seriously don't grok how people use bspwm and related things.

I have gajillions of windows open, it'd be a disaster without tabbed/stacking containers.
>>
>>46729263
>>46729252
wow, I use arch, so not trying to defend mint or anything, but you should know better.
>>
LXDE. Rock solid, lightweight, and looks great. All other DEs are bloat and tiling WMs are for autists.
>>
>>46732430
The only thing the ranking on distrowatch measures is how often the page of the distro on distrowatch itself is viewed. It does not correlate to actual usage of the distro.
>>
>>46731915
debian
>>
Cinnamon, OP.
>based on GNOME3
>default Mint-X theme is easy on the eyes and unobtrusive, while additional themes are easy to find, and are very diverse
>workspaces, etc
>gTile available as an extension to allow window tiling
>low resource consumption

The only real complaint I have is the Start menu itself, but I've replaced it with StarkMenu (win7 inspired) http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/168
>>
>>46729197
underrated post, not even trolling.

>read it
>think "bullshit"
>google kde5
>damn.
>>
Gnome is not very bloated. It's not bloated much at all on Arch anyway...

Good DE's
gnome 3
xfce
cinnamon
>>
>>46729174
Anything besides gnome shit is good enough for me
>>
>>46729763
you can just use tint2
>>
File: bvDAH.png (494 KB, 782x690) Image search: [Google]
bvDAH.png
494 KB, 782x690
>>46729419
It does Gnome shit I don't want or need. Ironically a bad copy of an osx function again.
>>
>>46729954

>XFCE is depreciating due to the emerging hype that is Wayland

lel
>>
>>46733161
This. Cinnamon is god-tier DE.
Check out the Configurable Menu applet, it's super customizable, you can tweak nearly everything.
>>
Gnome 3 is the best!
>>
>>46729394
This
I use i3, will never switch back to a normal WM
>>
>>46729197
I agree, even there are some things I don't like about KDE like huge tooltips by default that get in the way and the infamous cashew that can only get removed with hacks.
>>
The only DE's that matter are Cinnamon and KDE.
>>
>kde
>bloated and bad design
>still using this shitty meme
>>
I like Unity and I'm on /g/. What now?
>>
>>46729954
That's the most retarded thing I've read this morning.
>>
>>46733161
>default Mint-X theme is easy on the eyes and unobtrusive
It's also constantly broken.
>>
Your description of XFCE isn't someone's opinion, though. 98SE was the best OS.
>>
>>46733325
Then it wouldn't be LXDE, it would be Openbox with PCManFM for some reason instead of Thunar.
>>
>>46737151
How so?
>>
>>46737009

Same. Why bother installing all that other shit when unity is the default for the only linux distro that matters. For a cute homescreen? Are you all literal faggots?
>>
>>46737184
Surely you've heard how GTK3 themes break when used on a higher version of GTK than for what they were designed.
>>
>>46737220
I've tried Cinnamon on Manjaro and Mint-X was broken, and some programs used the new unified bar some didn't. But it's not broken on Mint, which is presumably what most people use it with.
>>
>>46737273
What version of GTK3 does Mint ship with? Anything using higher than that will definitely have a broken MintX theme, and most certainly Fedora.
>>
File: Mac OS X Server guest.jpg (323 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Mac OS X Server guest.jpg
323 KB, 1920x1080
>>46729174
>Is there not a single desktop environment for Linux that's good?
No.

That's why I use OS X. The only UNIX environment that's god-tier.
>>
>>46737356

I don't even like the new look to be honest, hiding the menu bar behind a button on desktop software seems retarded.
Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.