[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's talk UMPCs, what's the best modern UMPC? or close
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5
File: VAIO P.jpg (131 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
VAIO P.jpg
131 KB, 800x600
Let's talk UMPCs, what's the best modern UMPC? or close to it? I'm in the market for one, hopefully in the 300 dollar range
>>
Unfortunately the only thing that will even get close to a "UMPC" in this day and age is either a 7-8inch tablet with a keyboard case or else you have to opt for an 11-inch laptop, most UMPC's have outdated processors and minimum upgradeability. If you want a really small and portable snappy laptop consider the vaio pro 11 or a macbook air
>>
>>46697729
but I want it to fit into my pocket, easily
>>
>inb4 smartphones
>>
>>46697759
ya...I want my full OS
>>
>>46697738
venue 8 pro and a tiny bt keyboard/touchpad combo
>>
>>46697774
tried the 8 pro, it sucks, I need USB ports
>>
>>46697759
smartphone + keyboard case + debian installed in chroot
>>
>>46697778
for what? and there are adaptors...
I have looked into all the common 8 inch tablets, the venue 8 pro is the best for battery life, and thats really the most important thing currently. There is some winbook 8 inch tablet with a full size usb port however.
I would not recommend 7 inch tablets, the 8 inch ones have to have XBOX HUEG BEZELS just to fit a worth a fuck battery as it is.
>>
>>46697842
but then I'd have to build a keyboard mount, why did UMPCs have to die anon? Why are the average consumers so stupid?
>>
>>46697842
>for what?
my mouse/keyboard and flash drives when I hit hotel rooms
>>
If I start a kickstarter for a mobile full fledged UMPC will you guys give me your shekels?
>>
Darn, I thought those things were extinct. I always wanted one.
>>
>>46697849
Because the manufacturers always crammed the fucking shittiest if shit components in them so they barely even run windows, then cripple them with tiny batteries and they end up just useless.

As far as keyboards go, I'm in the same boat, I'm sure theres some thin thing that a tablet snaps into and turns it into a laptop somewhere, but I have not found one.
I'm hoping broadwell will bring some decent tablets.
>>
>>46697854
bluetooth mouse and keyboard + otg cable for usb drives. Why would you need stuff on usb anyway.
>>
>>46697738
Get a bag, finding a decent cheap bag will probably have you jumping through less hoops than finding an UMPC.

And then you can get a chromebook or something.
>>
>>46697896
>Why would you need stuff on usb anyway.
because those tablets have no storage capacity
>>
>>46697947
>And then you can get a chromebook or something.
You sick fuck please don't say such a horrible thing ever again
>>
>>46697982
Local storage is a relic. If you're not on the cloud you are a dinosaur
>>
>>46697982
micro sd card.

These tablets are definitely usable daily, but you have to give up alot of luxuries, like typing and large file storage, but if you can manage, its pretty much what you expect. a small windows pc that you can carry around in your pocket and do most of what you can already do on android.
>>
>>46698001
>cloud
>>
>>46698001
aside from google docs, fuck the cloud.
>>
>>46697765
is it worth having full OS when it runs so painfully slow on weak hardware?
>>
File: dell_venue_8_pro_1-580x358[1].jpg (35 KB, 580x358) Image search: [Google]
dell_venue_8_pro_1-580x358[1].jpg
35 KB, 580x358
As much as I hate to admit it, the modern UMPC is an 8" x86 tablet.

My Sony Vaio UX-380N just cannot compete with the Dell Venue 8 Pro. It's slower, it's got a lower resolution, it has a resistive touch screen, and it's less portable.

The V8P beats it on every area a UMPC needs to fulfill.

I wish UMPCs (as they were when the term was still relevant) could come with the specs of today's x86 tablet devices (if not better, since I'm still waiting for an 8" tablet that has 4GB of RAM) but that ship has sailed and I'll just go along for the ride because to be stuck in the past is fruitless. It's not an ideal world we live in but one that's just good enough.
>>
>>46700342
Actually, for me, the OS is fine. It's things like programs that aren't optimized for the age we live in that choke on the my tablet.

Like Flash players really struggle on my tablet. They can cause it to hang or even make the browser wig out (and Firefox itself could run better on the V8P too).

But Windows? It runs okay.
>>
Closest thing to a modern UMPC would be the stream 7. If you want the most recent REAL umpc's then youre looking for the chinese ones
>>
What's the requirements for a device to be an UMPC? All I use is a rooted Nexus 5 and an otg cable.
>>
>>46700342
Very, it'll run older games just fine, especially if it had a modern mobile processor, I have a netbook with a 4W APU in it and it was able to run civ V at 20fps
>>
>>46701500
>6 inch display or less
>Must have a physical keyboard

not required but for personal preference
>Processor (ARM/x86)
>Form Factor (Flip/Slide out/Portrait slab)
>>
>>46702527

I'm curious because your "requirements" seem to be deliberately mutually exclusive.

If you are going to be doing heavy typing then a keyboard to match a 6" screen is going to be too small.

The flip/slide out aspect is... I don't know, I just think you're fetishising a particular form that has no real world applications?
>>
>>46702439
Fuck your gaymes, faggot
>>
>>46697705
What a sexy laptop.
I hope a modern version of this will be made someday.
>>
>MUH UMPC
Every fucking day? Move on already.
>>
>>46702626
>not wanting to play doom during commutes.
>>
File: Projekt X Version 10.jpg (521 KB, 2086x1229) Image search: [Google]
Projekt X Version 10.jpg
521 KB, 2086x1229
>>46703044
NEVER!
>>
File: IMG_20140507_231155 - Copy.jpg (96 KB, 571x1009) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140507_231155 - Copy.jpg
96 KB, 571x1009
>>46697705
aay
>>
>>46703614
You really paid like a thousand dollars for that thing?
>>
http://www.pocketables.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83
>>
>>46703637
I'm a terrible impulse buyer
>>
a good tablet with a few extras is all you need.

a bluetooth keyboard with mousepad, a few 64gb micro sd cards, and if you are really needing more space, get an OTG cable that will expand your micro USB port to a full USB input.

tablets > UMPCs
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.