[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Daily reminder that 3.5mm jacks are the reason phones are so thick
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 7
File: iphone5.jpg (600 KB, 1536x1024) Image search: [Google]
iphone5.jpg
600 KB, 1536x1024
Daily reminder that 3.5mm jacks are the reason phones are so thick
>>
Daily reminder that phones are already thin enough
>>
Daily reminder only faggots and women want thinner phones and every rational heterosexual male preffers bigger batteries.
>>
>>45800814
This.
I would much rather a thicker phone and a longer battery life.
>>
>>45800801
Everything can be thinner, longer lasting, faster, etc.

Nothing is ever good enough, and your satisfied nigger attitude is the scum of society that should be purged.
>>
>>45800790
Daily reminder that apple wants to replace it with a proprietary connector only compatible with beets and charge you $40 for an adapter
>>
>>45800839

You'll never be happy, I'm sorry Anon.
>>
>So thick
They're thin enough already, thanks.
If my Note 3 was any thinner, photons could bend it.
>>
>>45800801
>"You can always be thinner."

- le doubles man
>>
Daily reminder that people don't care about phones being any thinner, they just want a longer battery life.
>>
Nothing is stopping them from using a smaller jack.

If anyone wanted it, they'd ship headphones and phones with an adapter. And don't say they wouldn't.

If you're too young to remember the time when every pair of headphones came with a 1/4 inch to 3.5 mm adapter, then you're too young to post here.
>>
Daily reminder that if you phone was any thinner, you'd have to charge it twice a day.
>>
>>45800839
Why the fuck would you want a thinner phone though? Are current phones too well made and too easy to hold for you?
>>
>>45800937
Not true. I'm 18 and I don't remember them.
>>
>>45800790
batteries are the limiting factor with phone thinness
>>
>>45800839
A phone too thing would be fucking uncofortable and easily breakable, do you really want a phone as thin as a credit card?
>>
>>45800871
I'm happy, I'm just not fooled into thinking that there's no point in making things better.

There's a difference between being lazy and being happy and you've lost sight of it.
>>
>>45800937
>If you're too young to remember the time when every pair of headphones came with a 1/4 inch to 3.5 mm adapter, then you're too young to post here.

I'm probably older than you are and I don't remember that.
>>
>>45800790
Daily reminder that the alternative is having to buy $50 ear plugs that only work for one phone model and have equal quality to $15 ones.
>>
>>45800790
daily reminder that thinner phones are the reason bendgate happened
>>
>consumer products that satisfy the simple mind with cheap thrills
can we please advance in spsce travelling and teraforming
>>
>>45800790

Smartphones are quite thin enough already, IMO. I'd rather see companies pursue better battery life/storage rather than making thinner phones.
>>
>>45800977
Then you're too stupid to be posting here
>>
Making phones thinner should be the least of our priority right now. What good is a thin phone if it's got shit battery life?

Until battery technology catches up and we can have phones that last days while still remaining ultra thin, then yes, make the phones thinner. But right now thin phones = shit battery life.
>>
File: 30606139-2-440-top+bottom-5.gif (76 KB, 770x433) Image search: [Google]
30606139-2-440-top+bottom-5.gif
76 KB, 770x433
>>45800977
The motorola V300 (first off the top of my head) came with this jack, and I remember being pissed off that I couldn't just use my regular earbuds
>>
>>45801000

Or it's such a minor detail that I've prioritized my extensive knowledge of Pete & Pete episodes over a headphone adapter.
>>
So, my 3.5mm jack on my Chinese smartphone is pretty much broken.

Listening to music is pretty much all I do on my phone so that won't do. Is there and adapter from micro usb to 3.5 that works straight away on Android? Does such a thing even exists?

Pls respond.
>>
>>45800968
Is this a serious question?

I would love to have a phone that could sit in my wallet for perpetuity. Something that charged wirelessly and allowed me to interact with it without taking it out of the wallet (with something not unlike Google Glass or a simple bluetooth headset) would be great.

If the ergonomics of a credit card don't work for you, put it in a case so it has a more conventional feel. Or demand that manufacturers make the phones conventionally sized, but fill the extra space with *yet more* battery capacity on top of the hypothetically sufficient amount that comes with the credit card-size devices (so you'd get a year of battery life instead of a week).

You people are just as shortsighted as the retards who complained about high density monitors, who thought the only use would be to show text at half size when clearly its use was showing it at normal size *twice as sharply*. With smaller, faster, longer lasting devices we can start to design phones however the fuck we want and figure out the best design from there. Rather than be hamstrung by the limitations of needing a battery of certain size or needing to account for graphical limitations, we can just say "okay is a holographic display a better way to interact with a phone? No? Well at least we had the option and gave it a shot".
>>
>>45801023
>Bitch about phones not having something
>Forget that phones used to have it
>Call it a minor detail
>Still made a thread about it

Sure bro
>>
>>45800949
>mfw have to charge phone atleast 8 times a day
>>
Do phones really /need/ to be thinner, though? What about the battery? Phones are already plenty thin. Any further won't be worth the sacrifices with battery life and durability. Just look how that worked out for the Oppo R5.
>>
>>45800959
daily reminder
>you're too young to post here
>>
>>45801030
Get a new phone, or get Bluetooth ear buds/headphones/speakers
>>
>>45801072
>or get Bluetooth ear buds/headphones/speakers

How about not?
>>
>>45801033
Maybe you can persuade Apple to integrate one into your menstruation pad.
>>
>>45800790
Micro jack is too fragile, the real solution is to avoid any wired conector, a full wireless phone charged by induction
>>
>>45800839
I like my phones how I like my cars, faster and great longevity. I could give a damn about size as long as it's practical by today's standards.
>>
bring the fucking lightning headphone jacks, you will only lose marketshare. Cook has drowned this company.
>>
>>45801059
Their current thinness is already not worth it.
>>
>>45801072
So a micro USB to 3.5mm jack does not exist?

Surely I must not be the only one with this problem and that people don't throw perfectly good devices for this?
>>
>>45801099
It's funny you should say that, because your faggot perspective is what Jobs apologists espouse. Just because it's not immediately beneficial to you or because no company has the vision to use some technology, there must not be any reason to insist on better technology.
>>
>>45801125
why bother with nonsense like that.. they do make 2.5mm audio jacks..
>>
>>45801113
i sure hope you're trolling

they can release total shit and still survive
>>
>>45801107
I'm not him. However, it's those kind of innovations that make the practical standards of today.
>>
>>45800937

There are 20-year-olds who were born in 1994. Shut the fuck up.
>>
>>45800937
i think there is some EU law that stops them from using adapters, to reduce electrical waste.
>>
In a couple years 'phones' will be 8 inch tablets that require a paired headset to make calls.
>>
File: 1419066983678.png (327 KB, 850x478) Image search: [Google]
1419066983678.png
327 KB, 850x478
>>45800968
>not wanting a cell phone integrated into your wallet
>>
>>45801169
>they can release total shit and still survive

That's pretty much what they've always done.
>>
File: 2014-12-27 08.06.34-small.jpg (261 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
2014-12-27 08.06.34-small.jpg
261 KB, 1200x1200
>battery lives tend to be sucky except in the largest of phones
yeah nah. current thinness is ok, lets see once batteries and materials get better.

in particular the iPhone 5 in your picture; the battery of that thing sucks for heavy usage, fine for music playing and occasionally checking a website or your mail. I've got mine in an extra battery case which sorta makes it...not thin anymore
>>
>>45800790
daily reminder that the iphone charger is actually really cool and i wish my android phone had something like it
>>
>>45801290
its cool but hell do the cables break easily
>>
File: 1418443707565.png (510 KB, 438x546) Image search: [Google]
1418443707565.png
510 KB, 438x546
>>45801251
A friend of mine has one of those wallet/phone case thingies.

>mfw she managed to lose it, losing both her phone and wallet in on fell swoop
>>
>>45801296
If the cable breaks. You can go to the local Apple Store and replace it for free. They give it out like candy.
>>
>>45801317
I think they're cool and want one, but also don't want one for that very reason
>>
>>45801176
This. electromagnetic energy had no practical use when it was first discovered. It was because people pushed on that shit like motherfuckers that we found uses for it, and now your life would probably suck if not for those advances.

I'd rather have a 5 year period of absolutely terrible credit card cell phones if it meant that we ended up with better designs that took advantage of potential thinness in ways we couldn't have thought of before. And we can't even begin to really think about these things until it's possible to make them in the real world and see how people would use such devices. To get there, we need to keep pushing for these extreme devices.
>>
>>45800937
>If you're too young to remember the time when every pair of headphones came with a 1/4 inch to 3.5 mm adapter, then you're too young to post here.
The adapters are still common as hell though...

>>45801016
It used to be common to have 2,5mm instead of 3,5mm jacks on phones. It sucked dick, Didn't always support stereo and I had several generic shitty-as-hell adapters that ruined the experience even further.

>>45801359
Batteries are a legit problem for (small) portable devices at the moment, though. Innovation (or just development) in that sector is required before we can start dreaming about even half practical credit card phones, or significantly thinner than current phones in general.
Just look at smartwatches and their shit battery lives.
>>
>>45801420
Of course, battery limitations could also be avoided by making hardware that just needs less power. <- to add
>>
They should make digital connection earbuds were all music is digital
>>
>>45800959
I'm 34 and I remember them on some Sony models and on microphone recorders
>>
>>45801420
>>45801434
Absolutely, but we're close to credit card sized devices already. Battery life is often 60% or more of a device's volume these days. Seriously, go look at a rMBP and its internals. It could be insanely thin if the battery didn't need to be there. Imagine what kind of computing power we could put in that extra space if we could (totally hypothetically) deliver the same or better battery life in a 1mm by 1mm cube. We could put much more powerful video cards, more cores, more RAM, more disk capacity, etc...

And this is just the most immediate use. If we can make laptops (sorry for focusing on laptops here) thinner, we have no idea how that'll shift laptop use. Maybe we'll eventually connect paper-thin devices to computing clusters and do literally all of our heavy duty computing remotely. People on /g/ might predict how humans will interact with technology in 10 or 20 years, but even people who have a clue what they're talking about wouldn't wager a guess (and I doubt more than 3 people on /g/ are actively involved in HCI).

The point is that we should be pushing on everything because everything will inevitably be a bottleneck if everything else but it advances.
>>
>>45801434
Unfortunately screens are kinda one of those things that just require juice to run. You can make just about everything else as efficient as you want, but screens will kill your battery and there's basically nothing you can do about it
>>
>>45801538
Unfortunately pal, then cooling becomes your limiting factor
>>
>>45801251
>4470-2456
>not having a wallet integrated into your cell phone
>>
>>45800972
>thinner phones
>better
>>
>>45801322
Yes, but if your phone breaks you'll have to make a fucking appointment to only get it looked after.
When they told me that when I tried to give my Iphone back I got so angry that I smashed one of their mac shits, threw my Iphone at that faggy store clerk.
On my way out I threw their windows in.

These wankers backtracked me through my IPhone though.

Fucking apple never again
>>
>>45801754
Then we make more efficient processors that produce less heat.
>>
>>45800790
Daily reminder that nigress loose as fuck pussies are the reason why huge nigger dicks exist.
>>
>>45800937
If your headphones don't come with a 1/4 inch to 3.5 mm adapter today, they're shit tier earbuds or something.
>>
>>45800839
I know right? Have you seen the iPhone 6? They say it can bend, but it only bends a dozen degrees in one corner. Until we can fold our phones completely in half there's a lot more room for improvement.
>>
>>45802178
wat
>>
File: 1419491539820.jpg (236 KB, 960x1244) Image search: [Google]
1419491539820.jpg
236 KB, 960x1244
>>45802250
>1/4 inch
>3.5mm

>not calling them 2.5 and 3.5 so you use the same fucking form of measurement and it makes sense; there is a 1mm difference between them, wow how interesting
>>
>wanting them to invent some proprietary format so only THEY can sell you a pair of headphones (that are probably shitty earbuds or shitty "in the ear" bullshit)
>>
>>45804010
1/4 inch isn't even 2,5mm though.

Its the big fat 6,3mm one.
>>
>>45800790
Why not just use microUSB headphones if it's too thick?
>>
>>45804010
i cant tell which one is the bigger idiot in the responses or in the picture
>>
>>45804038
because USB audio is shit
>>
>>45804038
logic. why would you want to pursue something different to an industry standard? 5mm is almost too thin as it is. you need to actually be able to grip the phone to use it.
>>
>>45804043
lesser idiot > bigger idiot

The Christian > the guy with the klaxons > all the people stopping to watch those retards > >>45804010
>>
>>45800839
people need to hold a phone to use it, you thin-digit cunt
>>
>>45800959
The Motorola A1000 uses a 2.5mm headphone jack.
>>
We should get rid of them completely and use Bluetooth to connect everything to our phone.
Then use this wireless charge whatever shit and enjoy a phone without any physical connector on it. We could use Bluetooth/WLAN to connect the phone to the pc. There is no need for physical connections.
Would be better if you ask me + you have more space for the battery.
>>
i want to know who it is that keeps wanting thinner phones? even to the point where they bend.
>>
>>45801055
What do you use it for???
>>
>>45804330
Data transfer though. USB is still miles faster & more convenient for transferring larger amounts of files. And for charging, too, I think?

That said a phone like that would be possible. I'd say that not worth it just yet.
>>
>>45804425
A bending phone can be really nice. Imagine a phone you can wrap around your wrist if you want. A couple of yours from now and smartwatches will be obsolete.
>>
>>45804477
Honestly even a somewhat articulating phone would be nice. Large phones could fit in normal pants pockets without making a big rectangular outline.
>>
>>45804473
Then use WLAN instead of Bluetooth.
Do we really need huge data Transferrates on a Smartphone? Use a USB Stick if you want a Mobile storage.
>>
>>45801033
Making the actual computing parts (i.e transistors) smaller is always better, yes.
But there's no point making the actual phone smaller, use the room to cram more battery, more storage and more power in there.
Thinness for thinness sake is retarded.
>>
>>45804517
Well, sort of, yes. Whenever I take video with my phone, the files are several gigabytes in size.

Besides, microUSB connectors are really slim.

And charging, how fast is wireless charging at the moment?
>>
>>45804580
Selfcharging batterys, bendable batterys/Displays, faster Bluetooth/WLAN etc. They're working on it right now.
In 10years we will laugh about the Smartphones from now.
>>
>>45800900
Photons do bend it
>>
>>45804452
Running the display/graphics processor. The display is normally the biggest drain of battery power.
>>
>>45804763
idk, 2004 had some decent smartphones to be fair as well. I doubt 2014 smartphones will seem that bad in 2024, either.

sure they suck when compared to today, but most of my uses for my Nokia communicator were very similar to what I do with current smartphones.

except for media consumption, in that regard phones have gotten a whole lot better.
>>
>>45800801
/thread
>>
>>45801033
A credit card? Are you totally dumb? I want a screen where I can comfortably view stuff and that cannot be achieved with an amount of stability.
>>
Doesn't matter. Thicker phones give me a bigger battery and a better grip on my phone
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.