[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any tech-literate people on this board that are at
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 3
File: normal.jpg (319 KB, 900x627) Image search: [Google]
normal.jpg
319 KB, 900x627
Are there any tech-literate people on this board that are at least somewhat normal? The autism on this board is overwhelming.

Here's some normie-habits that may help you identify if you are a /g/-approved normalfag

>1 modern laptop for programming (no ancient thinkpads returned from the grave)
>1 tablet for media consumption and reading
>1 smartphone
>no autistic obsession with endless tinkering, rooting, and "optimization" that has no purpose in mind
>a life outside of "tech"
>>
>>45797955
>/g/
>tech literate
kek
>>
>>45797955
I had a gf once
>>
>>45797973
Same here when I was 10 for about 3 days.
>>
>>45797973
dolls don't count
>>
>>45797955
Macbook
Ipad
Iphone

I think you already know the answers to this..
>>
>>45797973

what's sex like?
>>
>>45797955

that's cute

I bet you're the best programmer in the entire world

I bet you get all the pussy in high school don't you

I wish I could grow up to be like you
>>
>>45797955

My laptop is work-issued, it's a dell

I don't have a tablet

I have a good smartphone which is not rooted

I have linux but it's babby linux and it's literally the default installation options with no changes at all

Life outside of "tech"? I don't really have a life in tech other than work. But I don't really have much of a life in general. Work, 4chan, gym, occasional drinks with ex coworkers (I don't have any friends who aren't coworkers or ex coworkers). Sometimes I attempt to set up a date on the internet but I chicken out at the last minute. I go to bars sometimes and make small talk with strangers to practice talking about non-work stuff, but it takes so much out of me that I dread it. I only do it about three or four times a year. I haven't had sex in years.

Am I normal enough for your definition? Probably not.
>>
>>45798020

you pass. Welcome, normie.
>>
>>45798028

t-thanks you too!
>>
>>45797955
>1 smartphone
>no autistic obsession
>life outside of tech.

I'm in a frat. I have an on/off thing with 2 girls atm. I'm a bodybuilder. I'm not a STEM major.

Oh and I like Tech. Get tf over yourself.
>>
1x Desktop
1x Chink Tablet i just use to read, clover and netflix
1x Moto G with no ricing at all
1x Samsung Netbook with Crunchbang, i can't use most of the features tough, it's just fast
1x HP Notebook with W8

Am i good? I've also had plenty girlfriends, sex etc
>>
>>45798061
I said life outside of tech. Doesn't mean you can't like tech. Maybe you've had a couple too many beers, fratboy.
>>
>>45798075
you also pass!
>>
>>45798089

Thank you, feels great to be normal!
>>
>>45797955
Normalcy isn't a real thing, climb out of your crib already.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overton_window
>>
>>45798008
it feels like a bag of sand
>>
>>45798096
Too long, didn't read, you clearly don't pass. Sorry.
>>
>>45798081
You act like everyone on here is a fucking greasy haired CS major or something though.

Some of us are just normal people. Browsing a website shouldn't classify us as something.

>beers

No, but I'm half a fifth deep in fireball rn.
>>
>Nexus 5
>Nexus 7
>No Laptop, but will be getting a dell chromebook for browsing/shopping(maybe a MBA)
>Work for Cyber Security company in Sales
>Used to be a bartender
>/fa/
>Tech accessories must be /fa/
>2 gf's(I have a problem)
>Won 6k prize in FPS tournament in Vegas 2 years ago

You can't place me. I'm a fucking hipster who is also a nerd.
>>
I suffer from endless optimization. It's ridiculous but it's always nagging in the back of my mind that I could improve some things here and there.
>>
>>45797955

>wanting to be a normalfag
>wanting to be human trash
>>
>>45798106
you pass!
>>
>>45797955
Why do you think that being a normalfag is a good thing?
>>
I own a laptop, HDD failed though, and I own a PC. I own a phone, I like it rooted because of themes and Roms. I also own a iPhone, which is also jail broken. I don't program, because I don't really find it interesting. I also don't own a tablet, I doubt find any need for it.
>>
>>45798128
You don't pass.
>>
>>45798115
>Self-diagnosed hipster

oh, my.
>>
>>45798155
I just run with the joke.

I don't actually do the off the wall shit for irony.

I just like what I like, and my style kind of fits into it.
>>
>>45798112

>alcoholism

you pass!
>>
I like to think I'm pretty normal. I have all of the warning signs you listed, and I'm a PhD student in a top 5 CS program. It's hard to set a line for normal though; most of my time is invested in research, so all of the free time I have is consumed by tech stuff.
>>
>>45798176

I can dig it. I got the iPhone 5S because it is effay.
>>
>>45798178
>Alcoholism
>Having a little fun on the weekends

I'll be an alcoholic when I start drinking alone/in the morning.
>>
I act a lot more autistic on 4chan than I am in normal life. I do love me some Thinkpads though
>>
>>45797955
Casual. If you don't own a half-dozen pieces of networking gear and at least 3 SMB-grade servers I don't even WANT to know you.
>>
>>45798191

Drinking alone is one of the simple pleasures in life. I encourage you to try it sometime.
>>
>>45798189
This is where my autist nerd side kicks in.

I can't own Apple shit. It's going to pain me to buy the MBA, but I can't find a better alternative. I had an x120e that I fucking loved, but it was destroyed. Thinkpad shit is awful now(fucking new trackpad sucks balls).

Nexus line, sans the 6, has been the most /fa/ android phone.

I had a 3g when it came out, did the iPhone thing with that for 2 years. Can never go back.

I don't root my shit either. Time is money and I don't have the fucking time or the will to do tech support when some nigger sends out an update that bricks my phone(fuck you guy).
>>
>>45798220
I've been drunk alone and that was not the best experience. However, smoking alone is pleasurable, esp with the right music bro.

If you want something to really vibe out to google "Alina baraz pretty thoughts". Seriously. It's amazing.
>>
>>45798240

I personally love the look of the Nexus 6. Too invested in Apple ecosystem to ditch the iPhone though.

And yeah, rooting is a serious waste of time, even though tinkering can be addictive at times.
>>
>>45798241

Good stuff. Bookmarked it for my solo wine session tonight.
>>
This is 4chan. If you want serious boards GTFO because this will never, ever be the place.
>>
>>45798241
>mfw I'm not sure if I'm listening to lana del ray with a slightly different bass track

Is every pretty young "urban" white girl using the same producer these days? Christ.
>>
>>45798297

FAGGOT
>>
>>45798061
>frat
>actually saying "frat" and not lashing out at everyone who says "frat" instead of "fraternity"

Confirmed for not being in a fraternity
>>
>>45797955
>smartphone
I actually know A LOT of normies that still have dumbphones
>>
Pros:
-Dell Inspiron with Windows 8.1 on it
-iPhone 5S, NOT jail broken
-windows 8 tablet
-have had girlfriends
-currently single but have had one hookup in the last week
-varsity athlete (basketball) for my admittedly shitty college
-not a weaboo at all

Cons:
-my laptop dual boots because I am...
-a computer science major
-play a shit ton of nintendo, especially smash wii u and mario kart
-read science fiction more than anything else
-agnostic

Does this overall make me a normie or an aspie? I feel like I'm right on the border most of the time.
>>
>2 jobs (both IT)
>gf
>gym every other day
>use linux sparingly
>clean shaven
>5 computers...

Here are there.
>>
>coding on a laptop
Why?
Is your work so pressing you cant just wait to get to a decent computer?
>>
>>45798605

Clean shaven isn't really what it used to be. A well maintained beard is acceptable now in a lot of "real" companies, both in the US and Europe.

Of course, if you're not fairly well dressed and in good shape, forget about it. You should be clean shaven to make up for the rest.
>>
>>45798532
this. I remember the first time I called them "frats" and someone was like "do you call your country a cunt?"

Answer: I would if it was filled with people from frats.
>>
Linux admin professionally
Use debian at home
Long hair and beard
Don't like eating in front of people (eating disorder?)
Anxiety/Depression
No friends

._."
>>
>>45798605
>use linux sparingly
there's nothing wrong with using linux, even as a main OS. it's the advocacy and harping that alienates you from society.
>>
>>45797955
>freedom
>has no purpose in mind

fuck off faggot.
>>
>>45798669
>do you call your country a cunt?

on /int/ I do.
>>
>>45797955
I have T400, it's pretty new.

Planning to get an X60 Tablet for reading hentai.

>1 smartphone
Until OsmocomBB has pure target-side SMS, yes.

>no autistic obsession with endless tinkering, rooting, and "optimization" that has no purpose in mind
I avoid harmful software and strive to use the best hardware and software available (or make it), but I have a purpose.

I enjoy anime, manga, piano, papercraft, and masturbating. I also have a loving, albeit non-existent, wife.

Am I normal yet, gee?
>>
>>45798110
>pride in stupidity
>unable to educate self using most normalfag website of all
You clearly don't speak for the status quo
>>
>>45798296
Good stuff bro

>>45798334
She's hispanic

>>45798532
Lol. You're probably in a goober-tier frat.

How's it feel to be the 'nice guys' on campus, chump.
>>
>>45798115
-reads this post-
-vomits-
>>
what if i have a gaming desktop instead of a laptop? i have a smartphone for most media consumption though i do that more on my PC cause i think tablet screens are a bit too small
i do tinker but only to the point things are more comfortable to use and have not rooted my phone cause i see no reason

and i work five days a week and read on my smartphone often
>>
>>45797955
I don't think I'm tech illiterate necessarily but I do as feel though my literacy isn't comparable to most /g/ users.

>Don't have a laptop, but will be getting one for school.
>No tablet.
>I do have a smartphone.
>My tinkering always has a purpose in my mind.
>a life outside of tech
Well I'll list some of my disciplines besides tech.
>I lift.
>I'm "into" fashion (not gothninja or anything more "work-wear".

But besides hanging out with friends & fiancée, traveling, going to concerts that's pretty much all I do.
>>
>desktop
>old toshiba satellite laptop with puppy linux for babby computing
>iphone 4 because i don't give a fuck about mobile
>media center pc
>helpdesk job at local school district
>have had 3 different girlfriends, 5 hookups
>party occasionally when friends who have moved away come back to visit
out of all of my friends i am the one who lives closest to my hometown and i am a little embarrassed about it
>>
>>45797973
Yeah me too for month during the summer when I was 13, she told me she was a lesbian and i haven't talked to her since

I've still never gone farther than holding hands with a girl, and I've had a waifu since i was 15. All in all it worked out.
>>
>>45797955
>rooting
>autistic obsession

lol
>>
>>45798061
>I'm a bodybuilder

Yeah, so am I. Fucking idiot, you're not a bodybuilder unless you complete. There are plenty of autistic losers who work out but spend all day with tech.
>>
>>45798115
He said normal not a fucking douchebag
>>
>>45797955
Does an X200 count?
>1 smartphone
Yes, plus a desktop PC for gaming
I like to root my phone for Adaway
Not even going into the tech field. I feel like I'm an outlier on this board for that reason. I only fit like 50% of your criteria though. None of my friends are as into tech as I am.
>>
I'm probably average on /g/ as far as tech-literacy goes, which isn't saying much. I guess I'm a normalfag. I live in a house with some normies and go to shows and bars and drink with people, etc. That also isn't saying much, though, since alot of the time I like to lock myself in my room and fap to traps, read visual novels, and troll around on 4chan instead of going out. I live a double life.
>>
>>45799648
>you're not a bodybuilder unless you complete
You are a body builder if you spend your time doing bodybuilder activities.

Competing is for insecure fags.
>>
>>45797955
I'm sort of normal, I just have issues with social etiquette, so I'm just quiet most times. No autism, no anime, regular weight, regular dressing (no "nerd" shirts, or stupid graphic tees). I use linux for a hobby, but I don't spout it to all my friends and family who aren't curious about it. I have a social group and a girlfriend.
>>
>>45799830
>calling yourself a bodybuilder to seem cool to a bunch of autistic faggots isn't insecurity but actually being a bodybuilder is

sasuga tripshit
>>
>>45799865
OP asked about hobbies.

Bodybuilding is a hobby. You don't have to participate in judging competitions to be a bodybuilder.
>>
>>45799830
Competing is a necessity. To the degree that these adrenaline-junkie bodybuilders do, it's not.
>>
Why don't you retarded autistic faggots make a thread on /fit/ and ask them whether someone can call himself a bodybuilder if he doesn't do it competitively? How fucking hard is it to resolve a debate like this? Do you idiots just prefer to get embroiled in arguments and never answer them?
>>
>>45799893
>calling others autistic
>not realizing the irony
Lmao
>>
>>45799893
There isn't a debate.
Considering only professional bodybuilders real bodybuilders is an opinion.
The fact is that training with weights makes you a bodybuilder.
>>
>>45797955
I have a laptop, an old laptop sitting around, and an outdated gaming rig. I'm also out drunk with friends at least 3 nights a week. I consider myself rather normal. I'm also a software developer.
>>
>>45799899
sure told me
>>
>>45799879
The real test: you're not a bodybuilder unless you've done steroids.
>>
>>45799893
ayyy lmao, i lift too. I do prefer referring it to as "lifting", but the tripfag is right guys.
>>
>>45797955
>nothing modern but I have four old laptops I like to use for things
>no tablet
>1 main smartphone, and some old devices lying around for things
>lel normalfags will never understand the simple joys of ricing a fresh arch install on a decade old thinkpad
>no life whatsoever

normalfags please go
>>
>>45799473
I'm not in a fraternity either. I just know enough people from fraternities to know how fraternity kids act.

>2014
>literally paying for friends
>>
>>45799970
I happen to agree, but by virtue of being on /g/ nobody here has any credibility. Go ask the community that actually owns that word.

Would you sit idly by as people on /fa/ argue over what Computer Science is? No, because it'd take like 3 clicks and some typing to navigate to /g/ and ask us for an answer.
>>
>tech-literate
>going full consumerist

lol pick one
>>
What's up with all those tripfags on my /g/ tonight?
>>
1x iphone
1x ipad
1x gaymen laptop
1x gf
1x hyundai elantra
>>
>>45797955

I'm all of these or have all of these things but you can fuck right off.

Who am I kidding; /g/ is dead
>>
meh, consider myself somewhat normal.

Have gf, have car, have ft job

What you need to understand is that while it seems like there are lots of these autists , its only like that because /g/ is a gathering place them for, when looking at the whole picture they represent a very small fraction of the tech community.

>Have desktop, don't care for laptops
>have a family tablet mainly used by other people
>have a note 3 with nova launcher on it and thats it
>>
>>45797955
I'm a music producer and I work in admin for a record label.
Before I went to uni i was working management in nightclubs, but realized i wasn't an asshole enough to do it so i went to uni.

I was really nerdy as a kid, taught myself to program and build computers. I'm now a closet nerd just because I don't have friends that would understand.

This is a nice place to stay anon and keep in the loop, while filling that geeky void inside of me.
>>
>>45798008
underwhelming
>>
>>45799609
>holding hands
L-l-lewd. She let you go all the way?
>>
>>45797955
>>1 modern laptop for programming (no ancient thinkpads returned from the grave)
Acer Windows 7
>>1 tablet for media consumption and reading
Kindle for muh books.
>>1 smartphone
It's in the mail. Lumia 520
>>no autistic obsession with endless tinkering, rooting, and "optimization" that has no purpose in mind
Yup.
>>a life outside of "tech"
I fail at this one. I live on my computer.
>>
>you must own specific products in order to be normal
Faggot.
I'm a normalfag and I have only the last 2.
>>
>>45801242
He didn't use brand names. It's not much of a test.

If you're a total luddite, but have lots of sex and friends you are also a normalfag, but that kind of question would be off topic on this board.

Kill yourself.
>>
I program and play football/basketball (college) as a starter so yeah
>>
>>45797997
>>45798137
>>45798189
>>45798240
>>45798269
>>45798591
>>45799602
>>45800048
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVrQdz_x9hs
>>
>>45797955
>The autism on this board is overwhelming.
/g/ isn't even that autistic.
>>>/n/720753
>>
>>45797955
I'm married and have children. I have a job making high 5 figures, and have friends who don't know what linux is. I read books made of paper. I've been on 4chan since before there was a /g/ and I don't use Facebook. I agree with moot on the subject of prismatic identity. I have two Master's degrees, neither of which are in tech fields. I root my phones if I need to, not just because I can. I run Arch and rice it because it's a hobby. I build my computers because honestly I don't know how to buy them pre-built anymore. I don't hate apple but I wouldn't use ios myself. I think most of you are college age retards that will eventually learn how to be humans, but I come back here because it's the only place I feel comfortable online.
>>
>>45801503
old /g/ was best /g/
>>
>>45797955
Toshiba tecra for laptop
Note 4 for tablet/phone/everything else.
I'm in the Navy and did construction at one point.
>>
File: 1406229089788.png (588 KB, 1440x810) Image search: [Google]
1406229089788.png
588 KB, 1440x810
>normalfags
>>
>>45801533
Also note 4 is rooted because fuck all the bloat and carrier branding.
>>
>>45800072
>/g/ is a gathering place for them
>they are a very small fraction of the tech community

Which is why I don't understand why normalfags keep posting here.
>>
>Gayman PC (build it myself in 2012, still rocking)
>Macbook Air
>Nexus 10
>Galaxy Note 4

I like tinkering with stuff, but not to the point where it's autistic. I've also got many friends but sadly no girlfriend. Still fairly normalfaggy for /g/'s standards, I guess.
>>
>>45801568
I like the freedom of being able to voice my thoughts without having my identity attached to said thoughts.

Lots of threads are boring as fuck or I have no stake in any of that shit so I just hide them.
Like RMS, Linux, botnet, battlestation, homescreen and many more threads that get started here on a regular basis.
>>
>>45801615
>without having my identity attached to said thoughts
Tons of small forums, use a throwaway reddit account if you want to talk to other normals, or fake kikebook, I don't know.

It always seems like normals are just slumming it on chans, and then they mock us autists as if we're in the wrong place. I don't bother Chad when he's at a sports bar. I don't want Chad to bother me when I'm trying to talk about why Arch is gay with gook cartoon enthusiasts.
>>
>>45797955
Agreed but any laptop from 2005 and above will do the job well.
No, no and FUCKING NO! Want media consumption? Hook PC up to the TV and watch together with family. Reading? Maybe for news feed but no for 100 page novel and up.
>1 smartphone
>no autistic obsession with endless tinkering, rooting, and "optimization" that has no purpose in mind.
Approved trait of normal fag
Think back again I started to hate the technology advancement. It ruined social contact.
>>
>>45801646
That's the problem with Chad, though; he can't leave us alone since he has nothing better to do.
>>
>>45801646
I like the format of 4chan, and even small forums you still have your persona, be on it long enough and suddenly you have more sway simply because you've been there long enough over other people that make equally valid points.
thats why I don't bother with trips here.

>>45801657
>Think back again I started to hate the technology advancement. It ruined social contact.
You can take that shit back you know, you've got the power.
When I was chilling with my now gf, I would take our phones and put them on the coffee table or counter, out of our hands/pockets. There will be silence between us, or long pauses, that doesn't mean we need to try and fill ever gap between our conversations with some gadget in our hands.
>>
File: asperger.jpg (173 KB, 1276x820) Image search: [Google]
asperger.jpg
173 KB, 1276x820
I'd rather not be a normalfag.
>>
>>45797955
I'd say most of it's just people putting on a show.
Now for the checklist.

Yup
2, an 8" and a surface.
>1 smartphone
Yup
I use debian. It just werks
I have a handful of friends, most are still kinda nerds. Some computer wise, others just with other nerd related faggotry.
>>
>>45801720
>this is what autists believe
>>
Well, I can't program anything besides the few lines of Java we learned back at school.

My Laptop is some shitty old piece of shit which is already falling apart.

My phone is worth 3 times as much as my laptop.

I go out like 2 to 4 times a week.

I never kissed a girl - even though I was pretty close a few times as I was told several times the next day by my alpha friends.

Am I normie? I'd say I'm nothing but a fucking loser.
Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.